Start by marking “Sorta Sisters” as Want to Read:
Sorta Sisters

Sorta Sisters

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  155 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Anna Caseys friend has just returned from Christmas vacation in the Keys bearing a small present for her from Mica, the precocious eleven-year-old girl he got to know during his time at his uncles marina. This gift sets in motion a lively correspondence between the two girls; the resulting long-distance friendship gives readers new insight into Annas growing relationship w ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Peachtree Publ (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Sorta Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sorta Sisters

◊Ginger◊
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters were very interesting
Lynn
Excellent book! Girls become best friends and “sorta sisters” through letters (pen pals). Each has a non-traditional family…a very sweet and touching read.
Carley
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book,The Sorta Sisters written by Adrian Fogelin, is a book about a boy named Ben who went on vacation to the Keys with his family after Christmas break. Then meets a sweet girl named Mica. It all starts off there, but what if you had a bestfriend that was a complete stranger to you and lives miles away that once wrote a letter to you. The letter was the start to your friendship, would you write back?

Anyways, Mica lives on a boat. She is completely homeschooled, well since the second grade
Jnase1
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book reads like a classic Judy Blume novel...two very different girls who meet in the most unlikely of circumstances, through a mutual friend, and become friends by writing letters to each other. Anna is an orphan who lives with a high school biology teacher, Ms. Johnette, who is in the process of trying to adopt her. Mica lives on a fishing boat with her drunken father and is mostly looked after by her neighbors whom she calls Aunt Emma and Uncle Bert. The girls exchange letters and share ...more
Karla
Sep 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Anna and Mica live far away from each other and have never met, but have a lot in common. Anna is a foster child who has been bounced around from place to place. She hopes she will be able to stay with her current foster mother, Miss J, a biology teacher. Mica lives with her biologist father on a houseboat. They go from research project to research project, never staying in the same place either. Both girls have trouble making and keeping friends. But through their love of the natural world and ...more
M.
May 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good book. Mica and Anna have both had difficult
upbringings and they "meet" by becoming pen pals. They have a lot in common and support each other, deciding they're "sorta" sisters. Unusual story and kept my attention. Anna has been in the foster care system more or less since her parents and grandmother died; Mica lives with her alcoholic biologist dad on a boat currently docked in a Florida marina. Perhaps a bit of a culture shock to kids who’ve grown up in stable households, but the s
Amanda
Nov 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 This was a great tale of friendship and love in the midst of everyday events. One day, Mica decides to send Anna a letter and a friendship is born. They share with each other their thoughts and knowledge. Both of them have family situations and when something bad happens, they have to bond together in order to get through it.
Monique
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
Anna was so superstitious! Sad that lives are governed by superstitions. Really love how this book ended up but so angry that it wasn't continued with Mica and Anna living together. I mean, how hilarious would it be to have Ben and Mica going at it, but in Ben's territory. I feel jiped!! -_-
Elizabeth
This was a fun little story about family and friendship. I think the best part of it was the drawings of various objects that the girls send to each other. Including their letters was also a nice touch. I would recommend this as a quick summer read.
Sharon
Jun 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GA book award nominee.
Interesting book about two girls in different parts of Florida. They have a mutual friend who introduces them through letters. The girls become pen pals and help each other through tween problems. Very interesting storyline.
Erin Sterling
Two girls, both who are a little lonely and science geek misfits, become pen pals. One's the daughter of a ship captain who moves around all the time and the other is a foster child hoping to be adopted by her amazing foster mother. The book is sweet and touching, but not too sappy.
Kelly
Sorta good. I liked the author's drawings throughout, and I liked the characters well enough. But the book was sooo slooow! It was almost 300 pages, and too many scenes seemed too long and drawn out or not necessary at all.
MJ
Nov 17, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Fiction
Anna is a foster child who almost certainly will become adopted. Mica travels aboard a boat with her scientist father who pays little attention to her. The two become pen pals and get some perspective on their lives. This one is probably for 8-10 year olds.
Rosanise
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hey Thea- this book really reminded me of us! It's really really good!!!!! I totally recommend it!!!!
Mia
Perro
Nov 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls
Recommended to Perro by: My Girlfriends
Tweenage girls may relate. It was very nice.
Krista
May 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story, liked the style of correspondence between two penpals. Loved a minor character, Cody. So I've got a soft spot for little boys who tag along? So what?
Jill Leider
didn't finish. got enough out of it
Susan
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Muddle school/upper elementary girls
Recommended to Susan by: Mother/daughter book club vote
Wonderful! Lovely, lovely story. And how lucky were we? The author attended our mother/daughter book club meeting.
1Sha.5917
Nov 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was awesome. It had lots of excitement and its the first book I read this year. It showed how a relationship should between two sis.
Ala Corbett
This was a cute and short read. I felt like I was back in Jr. High again and I wanted to have a Pen Pal once again.
Amelia Faison
It was a great book!! I recommend this book to everyone!!
Genesis F
Shelves: yhba
Original!
Jenny
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was a cute little story to read, the only thing I didn't like about it is how predicttable it was
Audrey
Aug 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book because of how the characters find similarities even though they are very different.
Jaslynn Gwyn
Dec 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jaslynn by: Librarian
THIS WAS MY FAVORITE BOOK OF ALL TIME! It was very easy to relate to... i enjoied the setting, plot, characters, etc. LOVED the letter format.
Melissa
Oct 17, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary schoolers/middle schoolers
Pretty good book about two girls who become friends as they are pen pals...it's cute...but kinda boring...I just read it b/c of lack of something else to read.
Megan Standing
This book is a interesting novel. It has a very different plot and setting. It not the novel you would read everyday. I liked it. It was a good book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Imaginary Enemy
  • The Very Ordered Existence of Merilee Marvelous
  • Secret of the Night Ponies
  • As If Being 12 3/4 Isn't Bad Enough, My Mother Is Running for President!
  • Dancing Through the Snow
  • Kimchi & Calamari
  • Abayomi, the Brazilian Puma: The True Story of an Orphaned cub
  • Puddlejumpers
  • Home, and Other Big, Fat Lies
  • The Girl Who Saw Lions
  • Saying it Out Loud
  • The Chicken Dance
  • The Fire and the Light (Souls of Aredyrah, #1)
  • The Slippery Map
  • Where the Kissing Never Stops
  • A Banquet for Hungry Ghosts: A Collection of Deliciously Frightening Tales
  • The Hope Chest
  • In Business With Mallory (Mallory McDonald, #5)
Adrian Fogelin is the author of several novels for middle readers and young adults, including Crossing Jordan and The Real Question. She lives in Florida.
More about Adrian Fogelin