Start by marking “In Desperation (Jack Gannon #3)” as Want to Read:
In Desperation (Jack Gannon #3)

In Desperation (Jack Gannon #3)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  410 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews

Eleven-year-old Tilly Martin is dragged from her suburban bedroom. Her mother, Cora, pleads for mercy but the kidnappers are clear: if they don't get their $5 million back in five days, Tilly dies. If anyone contacts police, Tilly dies.
Journalist Jack Gannon's estranged sister, Cora, disappeared without a trace decades ago. Now she is frantically reaching out to him for h
Published April 1st 2011 by Mira Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about In Desperation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Desperation

Pat
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another classic thriller from one of the masters. This is the third book in the Jack Gannon series. Gannon, a journalist with WPA, is in Mexico working on a story about drug cartel assassinations when he gets a blast from the past.

Jack's sister, Cora, whom he has not seen or heard from in twenty-some years since she left home at 17 is pleading for his help to find her kidnapped 11 year old daughter, Tilly. Cora used to run with a bad crowd and was a drug addict until she became pregnant with Til
Dan Biermeier
This is a well written book with short chapters which I really like. The story was good and moved at a brisk pace.

I had just finished a Lucas Davenport novel and this book felt like a soap opera version of that type of story to me. This is probably my fault as I seem to like harder edged characters and a bit more of an in your face story.

Because of that I was not as drawn to the characters and did not care too much about what was happening in the tale. I guess for me, the book and its characte
Salsadancer
Kidnapping, drug cartels, murder, Juarez, Mexico, El Paso, Phoenix - not my cup of tea! And even if it were, the plot amounted to 20 pages with 360 pages of filler.
Maureen
Feb 21, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
8 chapters in this book and I am giving up on it. The story line is not keeping my interest and the characters are dull. I have read other books by this author but find this one lacking in quality to others like Six Seconds and Vengence. Was disappointing to me.
Ben
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion Rick Mofina is one of the best crime/thriller writers in the business writing today.
"In Desperation" begins with an impact that sets the pace for all that follows. The pace never lets up until the climax.
The book begins with two men dressed as police officers entering a home in Arizona and terrorizing a single mother and he pre- teen daughter. The woman is told that she has five days to find out where her boos is or her daughter dies. It seems her boss, the owner of a courier and
Jess
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the way these books are written. There's enough action and emotion to hook you. While some other authors daunt you with procedural bs having a reporter to follow gives you a new view on the case.

I enjoyed how so many different characters had a chance to weave their story into the overall story. The strong plot makes you fly through this book.
Barbara B.
I've like most of what i have read by this author, and have liked past stories with the character, Jack Gannon. But when you find yourself skimming to get to the end of the book faster, it's a sign that this one wasn't my favorite!
Sandy
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story but again way too much extra info that I would skim. The end drags with repetition yet it was an exciting ending. Taking a break from Mofina.
Deborah
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 3

Book 3 in this series, couldn't put it down. Will be starting the last one in the series as soon as I submit this review
Jacalyn Bos
It was edge of your seat, but a little too graphic and gruesome for my taste. If you like that kind of thing, it would be at least a four star.
Don
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it, maybe not as much as some of his others but still quite a ride. Turned out to have a lot of characters.
Patricia
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Jack Gannon is working on a story in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. Jack is a journalist employed by Word Press Alliance. Jack and Isabel Luna, a crime reporter for El Heralda, a family owned newspaper in Juarez, have just discovered a mother cradling her dead son in her arms. The boy was only 16 and the third child that Paula Chavez had lost to the drug wars raging in Mexico.

Jack has also lost his family. His sister, Cora, left home when she was just a teen-ager. Jack’s parents are deceased. Prior to t
Jim
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Ace reporter Jack Gannon is in Mexico working on a big story about drug cartels in Rick Mofina's "In Desperation". Jack's still with World Press Alliance (WPA),and is working with a local newspaper reporter Isabel Luna. Just as Jack is making progress to breaking an exclusive story his past pulls him out of Mexico. A call from long lost sister Cora to Jack in plea for help upends Jack's world. After not hearing from Cora for 22 years, and receiving a call that Cora's young daughter has been kidn ...more
Cheryl
Sep 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cora awakes to hear a noise. She looks at the clock and it says 12:23 am. Cora is just about to fall asleep again, when she hears some voices. She gets up and goes to the front door. She opens it and there are two police officers. They come in the house and tell Cora that they are doing a routine check of the neighborhood as an escaped convict is on the loose. The next thing Cora knows, she is tied up and the men tell Cora that they want their five million dollars back that her boss, Lyle Galvie ...more
Suspense Magazine
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How far would you go to help a sister you hadn’t seen in over twenty years? Or a niece you’ve never met? What if your sister wasn’t telling you everything about her past and that lack of knowledge could determine whether her daughter is saved? These are the questions posed in Mofina’s latest thriller. Chock full of characters, this is a desperate search for a missing girl…and the truth.
As a teenager, Cora Gannon was gang raped. Unable to handle the situation, she turned to drugs and eventually r
Baley Petersen
As much as I love crime-fighting movies and television shows, I am rarely intrigued by books of the same genre. I suppose that's because visual entertainment still pales in comparison to an active imagination. However, for whatever reason, Rick Mofina's action-packed novel caught my attention and demanded I give it my time.

Single mother Cora and her daughter Tilly are spending a quiet evening at home when two men posing as police officers arrive and kidnap Tilly. Cora is left with the daunting m
Michelle
Mar 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘In Desperation’ by Rick Mofina is the third and latest installment of his Jack Gannon series. I’m a new reader of Mofina, and until reading this book, I was totally unaware of this series. At the completion of ‘In Desperation’ I can tell you one thing...it’s time for me to do some back tracking because there is no way I can stop reading Rick Mofina’s work now.

In the middle of the night Cora Martin is bound to a chair and watches as two men walk out of her home with her eleven year old daughter,
Alan Medcalf
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast-paced, highly engaging mystery crime thriller. Another good one from Rick Mofina.
Leslie Mesmer
20 years after Jack's sister disappeared he gets a call from her asking for his help.
Jack finds out he has an 11 year old niece and she has been kidnapped.
In following leads and learning about his sister's past the drug cartel emerges as the most likely suspect but why.
I started off drawn into the book but about halfway through I slowly struggled to stay involved in the story.
It starts off with a bang but then it backtracks and starts pulling in not only the main players but also secondary c
Kelsey
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drug cartels, deep, dark, painful secrets, FBI, and a long lost brother all crash together to make this action packed story that will have you addicted from the first page. Cora Martin thought she has left her past behind her but when her daughter is kidnapped she knows that those floodgates are going to be opened. The only person she can turn to is her brother that she hasn't had contact with since she ran away at the age of eighteen. Jack Gannon is a a journalist with the World Press Alliance ...more
Arthur
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The drug cartel renowned by their ever present threat to destroy enemies who steal from them unleash a sicario who is famed of nearly 200 kills. Unlike many stories In Desperation focuses on the rescue a victim who is being held for the ransom of stolen money. Jack Gannon hadn’t known he has a niece but now races in the works with Gannon’s affiliates of his news publishing network also FBI and Phoenix police, an all out effort in the determination to rescuing the eleven year old girl being held ...more
PhobicPrerogative
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Jack Gannon's investigative reporting skills were rather downplayed in In Desperation than in the previous two books. Cora, the missing sister who was mentioned in the other books, resurfaces in this one. She took more precedence than Jack, she annoyed me, and her sob story really didn't redeem her to me considering all she put her family through.
I considered In Desperation an interlude between the previous and following books, and I look forward to trotting around the globe with JG again in th
Tom Tischler
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
11 year old Tilly Martin is dragged from her home by two guys from a
Mexican cartel who accuse her mother of stealing 5 million from them
and give her 5 days to return it or her daughter dies. She calls her
brother Jack Ganon who is a wire service journalist that she has'nt seen
for 20 years because of a lot of mistakes she made when she was younger
Jack says that he will help her but as he digs into his sisters life he
discovers some of the things she has done but she guards the one secret
which can s
Anne Dart
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My heart went out to the 11-year-old Tillie who was kidnapped by thugs from a drug cartel through no fault of her own. She witnessed so much death and torture that I don't see how she could ever return to normalcy. So many close calls! I also sympathized with Jack Gannon who had been estranged from his sister Cora for twenty years. The vast range of emotions he and Cora experienced throughout the book! It was a couldn't-be-put-down thriller.
Barry
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Desperation is a fast-paced story involving drug cartels. Jack Gannon is a reporter whose estranged sister contacts him. He finds out he has a niece who has been kidnapped by a cartel. The story picks up steam from there and left me turning the pages to find out what was going to happen next. Rick Mofina is a very descriptive author and easily brings the reader into the story. I recommend this one to fans of the genre.
Rich
Feb 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, crime-cop
Another solid, suspenseful, fast-paced thriller from Rick Mofina, although not his best work. As usual with Mr. Mofina, the story grabs you on page one and the twists and turns just don't stop. I did feel that at times there was some added fluff in the middle of the novel that was redundant and unnecessary. All in all it was still a good thriller, just not his best.
Loraine
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fast paced novel that grabs you at the beginning and doesn't let go until the end. This is the third in a series featuring reporter, Jack Gannon. He comes to the aid of his estranged sister when her daughter is abducted from her bedroom. Jack digs deep into his sister's past uncovering secrets as time is running out for his neice.

This novel gets 5/5 stars!

Benita
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything he writes is GREAT!! He is canadian but writes as if he is american to sell more books - cannot blame him since that's how he makes a living but it bothers me. That said - he is an awesome writer & i will suck back anything he writes - just one book, Mr. Mofina - be a canadian & have it situated in canada - a displaced american, maybe?
Debra Belmudes
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book by Mofina that I've read and I enjoyed it very much. From the beginning, the author grabs your attention and never lets go. I'll be reading more of this author in the future!
Chicken Little
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first by Mofina, so I didn't know what to expect. I really enjoyed this mystery. Well plotted and fast paced, this is a ride toward the unexpected with many twists and turns on the way. I am a fan now! =)
  • Beautiful Lie the Dead (Inspector Green Mystery, #8)
  • The Silent Cradle
  • Barbara's War
  • Deadly Obsession (Brown and de Luca, #4)
  • The Secrets of the Notebook: A Woman's Quest to Uncover Her Royal Family Secret
  • The Spider and the Sparrow
  • Closet Confidential (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #4)
  • The Mark (Henry Parker #1)
  • Dead Men's Dust (Joe Hunter, #1)
  • Nefarious (The Blackwell Files, #1)
  • Fine-Feathered Death (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-sitter Mystery, #3)
  • Hidden Charges
  • Lone Wolf (Zack Walker #3)
  • Final Target (Graham Gage #1)
  • Someone Else's Son: A page-turning psychological thriller with a breathtaking twist
  • The Brightest Star in the Highlands: Jennie and Aedan (Clan Grant Series Book 7)
  • Left for Dead
  • Question of Trust (An Izzy McNeil Mystery, #5)
Rick Mofina is a former journalist and an award-winning author of several acclaimed thrillers. His reporting has put him face-to-face with murderers on death row in Montana and Texas. He has covered a horrific serial-killing case in California and an armored car-heist in Las Vegas, flown over Los Angeles with the LAPD Air Support Division and gone on patrol with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police n ...more
More about Rick Mofina...

Jack Gannon (4 books)
  • Vengeance Road (Jack Gannon, #1)
  • The Panic Zone (Jack Gannon, #2)
  • The Burning Edge

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 (The Adrian Mole Series)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99