Start by marking “Churchyard and Hawke” as Want to Read:
Churchyard and Hawke

Churchyard and Hawke

(Amos Hawke #2)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
An exciting and insightful novel of the years when the Cornwall Constabulary was in its infancy After taking a serious beating while engaged in unofficial undercover work in London's 19th century slums, Constable Tom Churchyard takes himself to Cornwall. Here, in spite of his injuries he becomes right-hand man to Amos Hawke, now a senior Cornish policeman. His knowledge of ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Robert Hale (first published November 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Churchyard and Hawke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Churchyard and Hawke

Mary
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice mystery to read, interesting time period as it is set in the early days of the Cornwall police force. Good characters
Rebecca
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
The bookshop in Zennor, Cornwall had a whole shelf of novels from this author. The person working in the shop recommended several and this one was the lucky book that got to come home with me. I'm happy to say I enjoyed it. Set in the late 1800s, the nasty villains come crawling out of a dark and dreary corner of London to rob the Lords of the Manors of Cornwall. With gentle and savvy detection by the newly created Cornwall Constabulary, a cast drawn from Upstairs Downstairs and a little romance ...more
Timothy Ferguson
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
A country house mystery story set in Victorian Cornwall. It’s acceptable as a puzzle, although it breaks one of the Detection Club rules of fairness. I felt the ending was a bit of a letdown, although to explain why would spoil the puzzle. Acceptable, but not brilliant, so if you have no strong connection to Cornwall, you might try one of the many wonderful alternatives. The reader of the audiobook does a marvellous job with the voices.

This review originally appeared on book coasters
Cynthia
I chose this book because it was immediately available to read, checked out from my library, to my new Nook! And I'm glad I did! It was a thoroughly good story/mystery. It was really quite good, & I'd really rather give it a 3.75 as a rating! I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys a wholesome,quick little bit of a 'cops & robbers' tale, & a teensy bit of history! I'll always remember this as the first book read on my Nook! A good book, for anyone, of any age!
Den
Jan 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Cornwall - UK County Challenge
I was expecting something along the lines of his series of books so was a bit disappointed.It was an okay book. Interesting to see how the police began in Cornwall. Basically about a couple of policemen who manage to prevent a host of robberies and the investigations they undertake.
Lizixer
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Formulaic historical detective fiction with some interesting points - a quick read
Lisa
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first of this series I have read, it's a nice little historical crime fiction with some wonderful characters. It did keep me guessing!
Suzanne
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read this out of order, but I don't think it will matter too much.

Always enjoyed his writings, sadly are no more
Laura Boyce-Taylor
Sue Houghton
Sep 21, 2016
Lorraine
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Easy read just enough of everything to keep you turning the pages. Read it in two days
Linda
Sep 19, 2015
Richard Waters
Feb 22, 2017
Image all what it is that I was world 1 2 Mar 19, 2015 12:31AM
aka James Munro (Not this James Munro).

E V Thompson was born in London and spent nine years in the Navy before joining Bristol police. He moved to Hong Kong, then Rhodesia and had over 200 stories published before returning to England to become a full-time award-winning writer.

Amos Hawke (3 books)