Start by marking “May Your Days Be Merry and Bright: Christmas Stories by Women” as Want to Read:
May Your Days Be Merry and Bright: Christmas Stories by Women

May Your Days Be Merry and Bright: Christmas Stories by Women

From Louisa May Alcott and Willa Cather, to Grace Paley and Ntozake Shange, this unique collection of Christmas stories spans over 100 years -- and includes some of the best short fiction ever written by American women.
Paperback
Published November 5th 1991 by Signet (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about May Your Days Be Merry and Bright, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about May Your Days Be Merry and Bright

Start your review of May Your Days Be Merry and Bright: Christmas Stories by Women
Tisha (IG: Bluestocking629)
3.75 Christmas Stars

Like most collections of short stories there are stories I loved, stories I liked and stories I wanted to gouge my eyes out with a candy cane.

My particular favorites were:

~ Louisa May Alcott (I believe I have read this Little Women excerpt the last several years, I highly doubt I will ever tire of it).

~ Sarah Orne Jewett - this to me was the female Scrooge. Did I mind? Nope!

~ Mary E Wilkins - you know the Christmas song “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year and that one
Angie Fehl
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Most of these are snippets pulled from famous authors' larger works (novels or short story collections), packaged together to reflect a Christmas theme. The majority of the stories were just so-so for me or I was already familiar with them from the original text (as with the Christmas conversation from Alcott's Little Women). The ones that peaked my interest the most were the selections from Pearl S. Buck and Alice Childress. Will look into finding the original books their pieces came from.
Kelly MacIver
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Serious and thoughtful type of Christmas book, I have read it before but it’s been a while. Most stories very nice but skimmed a couple of them.
Gail
This book has Christmas short stories by many women authors, some such as Pearl Buck and Edna Ferber well-known. Many of the stories, especially the 19th century ones are a little too sentimental for modern tastes, but an interesting one is Merry Christmas, Marge, by Alice Childress, written in the 50's. The narrator is a black woman, lamenting that there won't be "peace on earth" until her children can to school with white children, until she can rent any apartment she can afford and until some ...more
Janell
Dec 17, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a series of short stories. Most of them were written in the late 1800's to early 1900's and certainly reflect the style of writing that was popular at the time. Some of the stories probably rated more stars while others rated less.
Amanda
Jan 05, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a good collection of Christmas stories. A few are better than others but for the most part I enjoyed all the stories.
Alexa
Nov 01, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Zona Gale was best story "Not as the world givith". I'd like to read more of hers.
Bobby
Radclyffe U-Haul
Mar 04, 2018
Kathy PJ
Jul 29, 2018

• A Map of Days (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #4)
  • The Troop
  • White is for Witching
  • The Problem with Everything: My Journey Through the New Culture Wars
  • A Nancy Drew Christmas (Nancy Drew Diaries, #18)
  • 100 Christmas Wishes: Vintage Holiday Cards from the New York Public Library
  • The Family Read-Aloud Christmas Treasury
  • A Redbird Christmas
  • The Good Liar
  • Anyone
  • For the Love of Paper: 320 Tear-off Pages for Creating, Crafting, and Sharing
  • How Winston Delivered Christmas: A Christmas story in twenty-four-and-a-half chapters
  • Claudine: A Fairy Tale for Exceptional Grownups
  • The Shoe Box: A Christmas Story
  • All Our Wrong Todays
  • Catching Christmas
  • Mandie and Joe's Christmas Surprise
  • Winter Sisters (Mary Sutter, #2)
Susan H. Koppelman (b. 1940) is a feminist literary historian and anthologist. The PCA/ACA's Susan Koppelman Award for Feminist Studies in Popular and American Culture is given in her honor.