Start by marking “Stranger In Black” as Want to Read:
Stranger In Black

Stranger In Black

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Christian wants closure on his relationship with a closeted cheater, so he dons a disguise to see the evidence for himself. He attends the annual masquerade ball on the arm of his friend, looking for the Stranger in Black. But when he finds him, the farewell encounter in a back room doesn't quite go as planned

Jarrod goes undercover, wearing the black and gold mask to ferre
Published May 22nd 2011 by Amber Quill Press (first published May 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Stranger In Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stranger In Black

Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Christian has been in love with Carl since their university days and when he suddenly finds Carl back in his life he realizes that his feelings have never truly died. Eventually their relationship resume between them and Christian tries to convince himself that everything's good but eventually he realizes that he has unwittingly become Carl's dirty little secret and Christian knows that his dirty little secret days are done.

Determined to end things and move on Christian hatches a plan to attend
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved how they met and started their relationship. I thought it was different.
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥
This was a first read for me by this author! Reading the blurb had me interested in how it would go. It was very over the top. Love makes you do some crazy ish. Christian can attest to that. He is tired of his sorta first love rejections. He's tired of being the at "home" boyfriend. He's convince that Carl is cheating. Ever since he's known Carl even as young adults he wanted to keep Christian in the house to himself.

Learning that his closeted boyfriend is attending a masquerade party, Christia
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, gay, done, 2011, ebook
Very good m/m romance about a guy who realizes his boyfriend is cheating on him, so arranges to attend a masquerade ball incognito to see the proof for himself and help himself move on.
Pianka *call me PIU*
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m

“Stranger in Black” is the perfect novella. It has a romance, angst, a case of “HOT” mistaken identities, cross-dressing and of course a loser who gets his due at the end. I enjoyed this read a lot.

The main characters were very nicely developed. I loved Christian. He had a crush on his closeted ass of a boyfriend for a long time but his decisions when it came down to doing the right thing, was amazing. He was compassionate about the feelings of the other party getting cheated on till th
Jun 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the second book I've read by Devon Rhodes and she is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. The premise was a little far-fetched but it's fiction after all and it worked for the purpose of the story.

If I have to read a book with cheating in it I want it to be handled exactly the way it was handled in this story. I want the character who is cheated on to act like Christian (Mira in this aspect was dissapointing to say the least) and say "I lost a lot of respect for you when I learned
Ruthie Taylor
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This short story tells a familiar tale, but gives it a great twist. Christian is sure that he is being cheated on by the man he first fell for in college, and plans an unusual way to find out. What transpires thereafter is worthy of a Shakespeare farce, and thankfully leads to better things. It is hot, sweet and easy reading - what's not to enjoy?

Wicked Reads Review Team
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Loved this sexy story. It has great characters, a solid plot, emotional depth and hot action. A satisfying, sweet read, 4.5 stars.
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
It was too short!! I really want a sequel. >.< I give it a 4.5.
Barb ~rede-2-read~
ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

Christian wants to end his attraction to his cheating lover once and for all, so he enlists the help of his best friend, David, to carry off a charade at David’s firm’s masquerade ball. David’s coworker is Mira, the girl Carl is cheating with, and Chris is willing to dress like a Southern belle just so he can get a glimpse of the woman who stole his boyfriend’s heart.

He knows what Carl
Tammy Smith
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, gay, homophobia
Blog Post:

Christian has decided to end his relationship with Carl after he discovers that even though they’ve been dating for a while now Carl is still the same as he was years ago when they were in college. Carl had been Christian’s world back then right up until the night Christian saw Carl out on a date with a woman. Christian knew Carl was scared of being outed as gay so he did everything he could to make sure no-one suspected a thing. Now that Christ
Veronica of V's Reads
This review was written for Joyfully Jay Reviews and can be accessed here:

This is a short and not-so-sweet read about a man who’s been used, and gets his own back.

Elaine White
Book – Stranger in Black
Author – Devon Rhodes
Star rating - ★★★★★
No. of Pages – 69

Cover – Gorgeous!
POV – 3rd person, dual POV
Would I read it again – Yes.

Genre – LGBT, Contemporary, Romance

Reviewed for Divine Magazine

This was a great little short story. With a nicely balanced emotional impact, we were introduced to Christian, who is our first MC. In love with Carl since childhood and dating him, he discovers that he's being
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Book: Stranger in Black
Author: Devon Rhodes
Rating: 4 Stars

I loved the concept of this story when I first read up on it and couldn’t wait to read it!

We have Christian who has recently found out that the second-chance love story that he thought he was having was all a fantasy since carl has been cheating on him...with a woman! I loved Christian! He was the perfect amount of strength and vulnerability that both makes you proud of what he is willing to go through to get the closer he knows he needs
Mari Cardenas ~ Bayou Book Junkie
*** Copy provided by Dreamspinner Press to Bayou Book Junkie in exchange for a fair and honest review. ***

Christian has been in love with Carl since they were teenagers, they hooked up while in college until they grew apart, after a few years, they meet again and started a relationship, if one can even call it that, considering they don't hang out outside of Christian's house. When Chris begins to think Carl might be cheating on him, he dresses up as a woman and attends a masquerade ball he know
Joyfully Jay
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: veronica
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

Christian is a gay man who had a relationship with a closeted friend, Carl, back in college. Christian never got over the heartache of Carl running off and dating women, and still harbored a secret affection for Carl. When they met again randomly six months ago, it seemed like fate bringing Carl back to him after so many years apart. But, Christian has noticed that Carl never wa
Avid Reader
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Stranger In Black by Devon Rhodes
Triggers: Cheating
I was given this book for an honest review by Inked Rainbow Reads.

This was a quick, short read. At first, I was actually having a somewhat difficult time figuring out what was going on. You're just kind of thrust in to the middle of this scene. However, once you read further, it became clearer.

The characters are all playing a part in the beginning. I really liked the anonymity, but at the same time, I found that it made the story somew
Andrea Goodell
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When friends have your back, anything can happen.

Christian has been pining after the same man for years, now he is back in this life, something doesn’t feel right.Talking to his friend David, they decide to put his substitutions to rest.

Carl, is confused, he’s had feeling for Christian but refuses to act on them publicly. So he runs, gets himself a fiance. Hoping he can have best of both worlds.

This book has 5 characters, Christian, Carl, David, Jarrod and Mira. They are all tangled in this love
~*~*~ REVIEW FOR THE 2nd EDITION ~*~*~

Cute! I liked both Christian and Jarrod. I LOVED the part where Jarrod realized that (view spoiler). So often it becomes a misunderstanding plot, which can annoy the hell out of me. So kudos for Jarrod!!

Having said that, my God both Christian and Mira were just too freakin' nice to that tool-bag Carl. Seriousl
May 26, 2011 rated it liked it
I think the best way to describe this story was "neat and tidy". It could have been so messy with all of the duplicity going on, but no one really got all that mad or upset or broke down in a hot mess, like you would expect. Everyone was completely understanding. It was very anti-climactic at the end. Even to the point of making fun of "the Big Misunderstanding" element in order to avoid it.

It was a pleasant story for what it was.
Kimmers of Kimmers' Erotic Book Banter
Although cheating lovers and disguising one’s self to get to the truth are not new tropes Devon Rhodes gives you so much to chew on in {Stranger in Black} it’s actually fun.

Rhodes’ little twists and turns here and there, and things she keeps under wraps ‘til the precise moment, are what keeps you intrigued and rooting for Chris and Jarrod.

See Full Review At:
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
3.5 - 4
Carl got off a little too easy.
Laura M
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, gaylit
Interesting story with a little cross dressing, some cheating and lots of twists and turns. A short, emotional but fun read.
Apr 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2013
Feb 07, 2017
Jan 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
I have always had my nose in a book and my head in the clouds!
Now I'm finally doing what I love as a career.
When I'm not lost in my imagination, you can find me in beautiful Oregon and at:

My Website:
My Blog:
Blog with TA Chase:
More about Devon Rhodes...