Start by marking “You Never Know: Tales of Tobias, an Accidental Lottery Winner” as Want to Read:
You Never Know: Tales of Tobias, an Accidental Lottery Winner

You Never Know: Tales of Tobias, an Accidental Lottery Winner

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  19 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews

Tobias Hillyer had a promising future until a car accident claimed the lives of his parents. Abandoning his dreams, he dropped out of college to take care of his orphaned, brain-damaged younger brother. Now in his late thirties, Tobias must struggle to provide for his family, working dead-end jobs that fall far short of the academic career he had imagined.

Then he wins the

Published March 15th 2011 by Wheatmark (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about You Never Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Never Know

Maria
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a good debut novel. In my rating scale it comes somewhere between a 3.5 star and 4 star read. There are some five star moments, which is why I have settled with 4 stars as the overall rating.
The thing that stops this from being a 5 star read is pacing, and there is far too much detail in places. For example, where Tobias and Martin are playing tennis. I am a tennis fan, but it’s just not the same reading about the shots that the players are taking. Duval went a bit too far with this det
Heavensent1
Oct 04, 2011 rated it liked it
You Never Know: Tales of Tobias, an Accidental Lottery Winner is a dramatic fiction novel.

Tobias Hillyer is about to set on a journey that will change his life forever. After being accepted to an intern program at college, Tobias is preparing to travel to South America to live amongst the tribes and document his findings. However, before that occurs, he and his family are in a car accident and both Tobias' parents are killed and his younger brother is left severely brain-damaged. Giving up his c
Wendy Hines
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Tobias Hillyer had his future planned, beginning with going to the Peruvian amazon and the Yanomami territories of Brazil and Venezuela for his undergraduate anthropology fellowship. But first, he was going back home for Christmas, to his little brother Simeon, his alcoholic mother and his father. His reception is met with great delight and the arguing is kept at bay. Tobias decides to drive and treat them all to dinner, but on the way back home, an accident occurs and Tobias' life is changed fo ...more
LuAnn
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book has been garnering great reviews, so I was anxious to see if others were right … and they are! I loved this story and I’m so glad I chose to take part in this blog tour.

The story revolves around a young man who is planning a future that involves studying the world. He is an anthropology major and is preparing for a class trip that will take him to parts unknown. His professor is so proud of his accomplishments so far and is anxious for Tobias to help on this study.

Just before they are
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Then he wins the lottery.

His financial worries eliminated, Tobias anticipates nothing but smooth sailing ahead for himself and the people he l
ILoveBooks
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it

Tobias Hilyer's life was right on track, perfect; perfection rarely lasts. In a horrible twist of fate, he loses both his parents and gains a brain-damaged brother. He drops out of college to care for his poor brother and devotes himself to making do with what he has now. He works straight through to his late thirties and takes on twins that he never really wanted, until he wins the lottery.

He imagines, as one normally would, that this is an incredibly go
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, fiction
I'm sort of mixed on this book. The first part of the story really drew me in. We meet Tobias, a young man, racked with guilt after his parents were killed and his brother was brain damaged in a car crash where although Tobias was driving the car, he did not cause the crash. He is left to take care of his brother, Simmy. Through Simmy's time in the hospital, he meets Carmela, a nurse, and falls in love. About the first two-thirds of the book talk about the building of Tobias' and Carmela's famil ...more
Emily (Heinlen) Davis
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Lilian's writing style is easy to read and the book goes quickly. Her characters and the story are so believable that it's like reading a story about a neighbor or member of your family. I had absolutely no problem identifying with the main character, which made the book more enjoyable because it was less like I was reading a book and more like I was living it through his eyes. I definitely recommend this book. It would be a great train or airplane book as it will not only provid ...more
Videoclimber(AKA)MTsLilSis
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This could have easily been a true story. The writing style flowed very nicely and was so easy to read. The lottery win is really just a very small part of the story, and certainly not the most important or interesting part. Tobias was well written and realistic. The author made you care about the characters and feel like part of their family. I thought the ending was a nice wrap up for the story. I would read more by this author.
angelofmine1974
May 12, 2013 rated it liked it
I received this book for free from Member's Giveaway. This was a very touching story and I enjoyed it. The premise is that Tobias had everything going for him but tragedy cut his dreams short and he wound up taking care of his brother. During that time, he met and married Carmela and had twins.

For the rest of the review, visit my book blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.co...
Harvee
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
The book's message seems to be that there doesn't have to be tragedy, however, for someone who has accidentally and suddenly become fabulously wealthy, as long as there is generosity and compassion, friendship, love of family, and a good shoulder on one's head. Overall, a very pleasant and surprising book to read on this subject.

Lilian Duval
Oct 15, 2011
Jayne-Marie Barker
Jan 22, 2012
Brynne
rated it did not like it
Sep 08, 2014