Start by marking “The Gathering Dark” as Want to Read:
The Gathering Dark

The Gathering Dark

A mysterious teen boy knows the secrets of Keira’s dangerous hallucinations in this gripping romantic fantasy from the author of Claire de Lune.

Keira’s hallucinating. First it’s a door hovering above the road; then it’s a tree in her living room. But with her parents fighting and her best friend not speaking to her, Keira can’t tell anyone about her breakdown.

Until she mee
Published February 12th 2013 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The Gathering Dark, please sign up.
Ghazal Yup! It is a standalone, thank goodness.

Wendy Darling
1.5 stars DNF at roughly 200 pages. Probably should have stopped on page 13 at this line:

His eyes were mesmerizing--like watching the gray sheets of rain working their way in from the Atlantic.
Matilda
Jul 24, 2012 marked it as to-read

For some reason, I'm wondering how, and why her BEST friend left her. Maybe they got into a best-friend-fight. And Keira got a little ... angry? MAYBE she did something like this ...

Her best friend was probably ... Freaked. Something like this ?

And then we have this Walker, character. Hmm ... I'm picturing a little mysterious, HOTT, of course.

Seems legit. Hallucinations, you say? I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation ...

Just kidding. This book sounds intense, sick, and I'm
Lyndsey
I really didn't care for this book. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE the author.

The Author's Note at the end of the book completely won me over. I can't express how much I adore the fact that she is advocating for the sciences. Though the so-called "science" in this book is complete bullhonky, her note inspiring readers to explore the grand world of physics really made me happy. So for that - much love!

So I did not read the summary or any reviews about this book before I started, and I'm so glad that didn't
Ain020596
Mar 16, 2012 marked it as to-read
Reading the synopsis, looking at the beautiful cover...

description

Also, I may be a little addicted to gifs. Just a little. Just a teeny weeny bit.
Hermione
1.5 stars. The Gathering Dark, unfortunately, did not seem to wow! me, and here's why:

◦ Crap characters.

◦ Crap world building.

◦ Crap plot.

Keira has a natural affinity with music — more specifically, with her piano. After she meets the alluring and enigmatic Walker, she feels an instant connection: something otherworldly ... literally. With dark visions haunting her at every curve, Keira realizes she is something much more than human, and if she is to live, she must uncover the secret that coul
Taschima
Feb 29, 2012 marked it as to-read
I wonder if this girl also sees a monkey in her closet... Nevertheless great summary, great cover, definitely a must add for the wish list!
Aliyah
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
* spoiler alert *
Best book i've read so far from all the others. I couldn't put it down for a minuet! <3 The ending was so realistic, and the fact that her dad, pike couldn't come with them, just showed how real the book seemed, because it shows that not everybody can have what they want and that there is an opportunity cost for every move that she takes.
The fact that the wold had music as its religion, or its culture showed why she was so obsessed with her piano without knowing why, and how
Hafsah Faizal
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
What really disappointed me was that the synopsis says nothing about a piano. Nope, nothing at all. But that's what the story is mainly about, Keira seeing things and her beloved piano. And I don't really like books where the main character is obsessed with music. So yeah, THE GATHERING DARK was pretty boring for me.

Read Full Review on Iceybooks

Zoe Tribley
Jun 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
I cannot tell you how happy and how I angry I am about this book. Happy that I'm finally done with it. Angry that I wasted days reading the longest 512 pages. In. My. Life.

This book was so bad that I had to make a new shelf for it. The "just effing horrible" shelf- yeah that was not there five minutes ago. But how could I let this book just sit around not properly shelved. At least now, with my new and self explanatory shelf, this piece of shite is where it belongs.

I want to tell you everythin
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
I've been wanting to read this book for such a long time and I'm glad to say I was not disappointed!
The book follows Kiera, who is pretty normal, though she is a piano prodigy. She knows what she's doing with her life and she knows how to get there. Then she begins having strange hallucinations. A doorway in the middle of the street, a tree in her livingroom, these hallucinations begin to distract her and she feels like she's
CJ
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received "The Gathering Dark" by Christine Johnson through the Goodreads Giveaway contests. The ARC I received featured a plain blue cover with the title and author's name and 498 pages in length, not the final cover with the girl on the front and 512 pages long. "The Gathering Dark" was so good that I want to get the final version just to see what I missed in the extra 14 pages.

The story of Keira, a girl who knows what she wants and wants nothing to get in the way of her reaching her goals, f
Heather
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Oh boy.

I'm not really sure how to rate this one, so I'll go through the main points.

1) Length. The Gathering Dark is a pretty long book and it felt like a long book. But not only that, the author took forever to set the book up. I was more than half way through with the book, before I got any kind of clue as to why so many weird things were happening.
2) Love/Romance. It was iffy. In the beginning, the main character's love interest is kind of a stalker. And he ALWAYS talks about how pretty Ke
Andrea Judy
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I won this book at DragonCon and was sold on it by being told it was about alternate realities and music.
I fell in love with the story from the get go. Keira is a great character, super driven, and super focused on her piano practice to make sure she gets into Juilliard. Her friend Susan is supportive but caught up in a relationship of her own. Keira doesn't want anything to do with dating until she meets Walker, a strange young man with tattoos that seem to disappear from his arm. The more tim
Taylor Knight
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
First off, this book is such a quick read. It really had a flowing writing style that was really easy to read.

I might have really liked this book if it wasn't so cliche. Right from the beginning, I started to roll my eyes at how the main character was so insanely dull. She's pretty much a conventional, go-to female lead in YA. Nothing really stood out about her, the male protagonist, or the overall plot. It was very mindless reading.

For me personally, this book just didn't have enough substance
Sandi Jones
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
A lovely dark, paranormal romance. Review to come in LMC.
Trisha
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book just wasn't for me. I didn't like the insta love, I didn't like the main character and Walker did not wow me. Not even the best friend was interesting.....
Nicole Hagstrom-Schmidt
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall, this is an easy YA read with some good tension and a nice romantic interest. The plot is a little formulaic as in you can pretty easily identify the story beats. "Ah, here's the part where the protagonist has lost all hope." "Here is the moment of the first big twist!" But the twists themselves were enjoyable.

As to the things that other readers have complained about (the emphasis on Keira's piano playing and the scientific explanation), I found that these did not bother me. I quite lik
Ghazal
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regretful-reads
Abbie
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Actual rating - 2.5

I didn't love the characters in this, but they weren't bad.

I didn't enjoy this one very much unfortunately. It felt like it took forever to get going, and even when it did it still struggled to keep my interest.

Overall, A bit dull.
Sari
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I think I read the book two or three times the summer that I first found it in the library. The main character's connection to music really spoke to me and I liked how the author tied it into the story.
Jesten
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good, but there were a lot of cliches, and some things felt forced/some characters felt flat.
Sakinah
May 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
The Gathering Dark by Christine Johnson

My rating: 2.5 / 5.0 stars
WJ
May 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
The Gathering Dark has a very interesting premise, one that was a bit reminiscent of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer actually. I was hoping that Keira and Walker would make for better company than Mara and Noah and that the plot would be more engaging and exciting. The Gathering Dark isn't as cliched as the blurb makes it sound but neither is it a good YA book either.

The book is made up of two halves, the first about Keira and the development of her relationship with Walker. Scenes with her halluci
Melanie
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ry-2013, own, read-in-2014
4*s
review posted here...
Gathering Dark tells us the story of a young girl – Keira – who has dedicated her life to music forsaking everything a young girl usually goes through, yeah she has friends but that never gets in the way of practice but boys are a definite no-no, she will concentrate on her career and the first step is gaining acceptance to Julliard. It is her quest for the perfect piece of music that brings Keira to the attention of Walker, she has
Michelle
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've gone to the Darkside. The fact that Christine Johnson managed to name the alternate reality (secondary reality might be a better term in this case) Darkside without sparking my Star Wars bone earns this book an exta half star. Drop a definite article make it a compound word and make sure you paint a wonderfully descriptive picture of the world and apparently that works.
She is extremely adept at describing the world and characters she has created. Visually, and aurally you get sucked into t
Bayan Basri
First and foremost I'd like to say that I absolutely adored the idea of Dark Matter. What's so great about it is that the author didn't make it up; it's actual physics! The idea of existing particles that we can't see is just so cool. It means that there is possibly another world, an entire civilization even, among us. Tell me that's not mind blowing. The Dark Matter was the best thing about the book. Period.

The writing style was easy yo understand, and the author did a really good job describin
Helen
Jan 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Valen
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Gathering Dark tells the story of dark forces battling the forces of the light.

Kiera was for the most part, a good protag. I did not 'love' her relationship with Walker because even though she constantly said that she did not want a boyfriend and did not need anyone, Walker was still there for her and protecting her and she let him. I didn't care for that bit of her personality, but other then that, she provided me with a character who had a good sense of self. Kiera knew what she wanted in
Mikayla Bond
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 out of 5 stars

A gifted pianist discovers that she and the mysterious boy she's falling for aren't quite what they seem. In a race of love against fear, Keira must somehow save her their lives without losing herself.

The beginning of this book is long. There is a lot of building up toward the pivotal moment. I love how strong Keira is, even though she's facing so many stressful things at once. She keeps her head up and does what is right for her and the people around her.
The author tries to
Aren
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good book, fast-moving and hard to put down. Keira's drive towards music is easy to relate to. It is very common for girls with a plan for their future to worry about a choice between the love of their lives and their career. The balancing between the boyfriend and piano really shows the weighing process vs and the tough choices girls too often have to make. The romance was very well written and the characterizations were very realistic.

The science fiction aspect and action were
  • Mystique
  • Unavenged (Unavenged, #1)
  • Revel
  • Pretty Dark Nothing (Pretty Dark Nothing, #1)
  • Ashes on the Waves
  • Touch of Death (Touch of Death, #1)
  • Ashes and Ice (Ashes and Ice, #1)
  • Broken (Broken, #1)
  • Reaper
  • Furious
  • The Watcher (The Watcher Saga, #1)
  • Level 2 (The Memory Chronicles, #1)
  • Linked (Linked #1)
  • Delusion
  • Dance of Shadows (Dance of Shadows, #1)
  • Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains)
  • Nobody But Us
  • Nameless (Tales of Beauty & Madness, #1)
There is more than one author with this name

I grew up in, moved away from, and finally came home to Indianapolis, Indiana. While I was in the “away” part of that adventure, I was living in Chicago, Illinois, where I went to DePaul University and met my husband. I majored in Political Science. For the record, Political Science is a totally useless degree. But it’s also totally fascinating and I lov