Start by marking “Autumn Rhythm: Musings On Time, Tide, Aging, Dying, And Such Biz” as Want to Read:
Autumn Rhythm: Musings On Time, Tide, Aging, Dying, And Such Biz

Autumn Rhythm: Musings On Time, Tide, Aging, Dying, And Such Biz

As witness to and participant in the graying of the first generation of rock 'n' roll fans, Richard Meltzer is well equipped to confront the reality of our shared mortality. A sublime and moving collection of essays by a master of style, Autumn Rhythm is a clear-eyed gape into the Abyss that is equal parts candor, courage, humor, and desperation.From deconstructing the "ge ...more
Published October 8th 2003 by Da Capo Press

To ask other readers questions about Autumn Rhythm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Autumn Rhythm

Josh
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Even if Richard Meltzer and I didn't share a lot of the same strange interests and personality quirks (Blue Oyster Cult, The Beatles, Minutemen, Guided By Voices, punk rock, 50s and 60s rock, country, and R&B, John Cassavetes, professional wrestling, old B-movies, the work of the writing process, irrational/rational hatred of computer culture, beer-drinking, avant-garde jazz and old blues, confused grappling with the meaning of family, a preoccupation with physical decline and death, hatred ...more
Matt
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Some absolutely stellar little "pieces" on gettin' old. Meltzer writes with total stylistic authority, and it's an amazing thing to watch happen before your eyes as he switches from outstandingly cynical to almost painfully intimate and vulnerable. And all with a sense of good humor that never sacrifices a basic view of life as something WORTH LIVING, a passion for life viewed through the eyes of someone who sees all too clearly that the world-and-culture-as-given is beyond poisonous, a hideous, ...more
Fred
Sep 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: da-capo-press, music
If you are a fan of Meltzer's idiosyncratic style, this may appeal to you more than it did to me. I enjoyed some of his ruminations on aging--especially as they come from an influential voice in music writing and criticism--but I find it difficult to get past the quirks of spelling and punctuation that he employs. I'm sure I simply am not, as his fans might suggest, rock 'n' roll enough to get it. So be it.
Vaughan
Nov 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Some of this was a little too oh-I'm-cynical as a cover for the pain of getting old and frankly got on my nerves. All was forgiven/redeemed by pp. 24-29, where he writes about taking care of his 17 year old cat. Even if I was not a cat person, I'd be MOVED. For the Meltzer neophyte, this would not be a bad place to start.
David
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
occasionally funny but mostly annoying, self-impressed essays in which the author reminds you constantly how he's middle-aged but still cool, is true to his muse as a writer with integrity and not a sell-out, etc. etc. I hope I don't come across this way to my students.
Robert
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone approaching landmark birthdays.
I wander back to this from time to time - it's real good, but maybe too close to home. Count on Richard to write a book full of truths too uncomfortable to be read by the target audience. This has me thinking I should reread The Night Alone again.

edit: bumped it up a star after a re-visit
Derek
Jul 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Found this cheap on paperback and roared through it. I missed out on reading it when it first came out so I'm glad I found it.

Richard Meltzer is pretty much my favorite writer. This isn't his best book but it reminded me of why I love him. Well worth reading even if you aren't a gimp.
Paul
Jul 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel
A somewhat rambling account of popular culture by a writer who talks about music and poetry interspersing autobiographical reflections on aging with his opinions about various artists. The language is a mixture of the vulgar and profound.
Sheila Balsamo
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
A collection of rants and rage of a rock and roll geezer. An amusing revelation of a cool curmudgeon. His cuckoo writing style is fresh, despicable and entertaining.
J. D.
Phil Overeem
Apr 27, 2008
Ben
Jun 09, 2007
Rock critic, performer and writer. He is considered by some rock historians to be the first to write real analysis of rock and roll and is credited with inventing "rock criticism".