Start by marking “How the Other Half Lives” as Want to Read:
How the Other Half Lives

How the Other Half Lives (London Lads #2)

Martin Harrison keeps himself to himself and his flat as neat as a new pin. His friends want him to loosen up and enjoy more of a social life, but in Martin’s mind, that’s tantamount to opening the floodgates to emotional chaos. He agrees, however, to join the flat-sitting scheme in his building. He’ll look after another tenant’s flat in exchange for a similar watch over h ...more
Published February 5th 2011 by Amber Quill Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about How the Other Half Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How the Other Half Lives

Truus
Feb 10, 2017 Truus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, 2017
It starts so funny...
Martin talks to his friend Ethan - Russ talks to his friend Don - both about the other 'neighbor'
The first one is very tidy and punctual - the second one totally opposite in every way.
They both never met but taking care of each others apartment now and then when one is away for a weekend. Not entirely voluntary, more imposed by their friends. Because both need some neighborhood connection and there was a notice on the communal board downstairs, suggesting a flat-sitting sche
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Adorable! Or should I say a-dork-able? This sweet little story was right up my alley.

What a perfect short story, am I right? I have a HUGE weakness for opposites attracts and geeky MCs, so this was just right for me. I really enjoyed the alternating POVs and the way the story progressed. It is hard work creating a well rounded short of 50-60 pages, but Clare London did it with ease.

Very enjoyable.

**Read for project GRL 2014- My quest to read authors that I've never tried before**
Ann
Freakin' adorable is what this story is.

A perfectly posed story about two opposites, a meet-cute and falling in love.

Full review on the blog soon and then here . . . .

**a copy of this story was provided for an honest review**
CrabbyPatty
Ooh, I liked this short and sweet story from Clare London about two men who appear to be exact opposites. One is neat, the other a slob. But, despite the blurb, this ain't "The Odd Couple" ... it's so much better.

Through a nifty plot convenience, Russ and Martin are each other's "flat-sitters" when they are away or on holiday. At first, they communicate via notes -- a "careless, cheerful message on the back of a mango chutney label" versus "Thick, expensive paper with careful script, full of ex
Amanda
For such a short read, this novella really pack a punch. Not only that it had an interesting plot, its funny, witty and full of charm. I didn't know that Clare London had such great sense of humor. It only took more more than an hour to read this and truthfully a time well spent with Martin and Russ.

Martin is a neat-freak with a flat as tidy and quiet as a museum. While Russ is a total slob that makes me think entering his flat is a dead trap. What ensure is a bout of hilarity when they sign up
Sandra
This was pretty freaken adorkable. I actually really liked the first half best where the two men had never even met, yet were communicating through home decorating and sticky notes. It was interesting to only witness the interactions through their conversations with their respective meddling BFF's.

I did like once they finally met, although I was worried the magic would be gone. They were cute and a tad awkward but clearly had chemistry. I wish we'd seen a bit more of their developing relationshi
Tam
Mar 06, 2011 Tam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
I really liked the concept of this story. Two men who have a real effect on each other’s lives, and yet have never met. It happens so slowly over time, that I thought when they did finally meet up it made it that much more interesting. It was also fun to see their reactions to what the other was doing to their apartment through their interactions with their friends, who were completely baffled by the changes and curious about who this influential stranger was in their friends’ lives.

Both liked t
Ami
Review for the second edition

This was a cute read :). I loved how Martin and Russ were absolutely different; Martin is anal retentive while Russ is a mess!! It was adorable on how they slowly integrate each other's quirks to the other's lives. Because this is a novella, the relationship progress happens pretty quick but I enjoyed it. And I absolutely loved Martin's and Russ' friends!
Serena Yates
Feb 15, 2017 Serena Yates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay, humor-comedy
This book is totally hilarious! Not just in its premise of matching two men who couldn’t be more different, but in the way it is told, in alternating first person, and with some brilliant tongue-in-cheek humor. But it’s so much more than romantic comedy as well – the deeper truth behind each man’s phobias and behaviors is as fascinating as seeing them slowly thaw and mellow to the point where they can meet without killing (or at the very least hating) each other. This process is very cleverly se ...more
Pixie
Cute
Lauraadriana
Jun 07, 2011 Lauraadriana rated it liked it
Shelves: recommended
This was a VERY short read. I had a few chuckles and liked the plot idea. The MCs are not in the same room for most of the story...It reminded me of one of those 60s romantic comedies where the protagonists keep missing each other, but somehow fall in love. It was a bit muddled in the end...once they met.

It was funny...but not really much of a romance.
Line
Apr 12, 2016 Line rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The humor was spot-on for me, and I thought the premise was awesome! BUT, this book would have benefited from being longer, and exploring the relationship further.
Really close to 4 stars from me...
Chris
Jan 19, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, gay, done, 2011, ebook
Very good short m/m romance about two guys, one very tidy and the other very untidy, who exchange flatsitting duties with each other, but never actually meet... until they do.
DevaStator
This was a cute and super short novella. When I got to the last chapter I was a little confused because how could it be over already?
Anyway, Martin and Russ are both adorable in their quirky ways. They are the epitome of opposites attracting. How they live could not be more different from each other, but their actual lives are similar. They are both independent, freelance workers in their respective fields, they are both comfortable in their lives, they both have strong friendships, and they bot
Rafa Brewster
Feb 16, 2017 Rafa Brewster rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars
Reviewed for Just Love
ARC received in exchange for an honest review

What an adorable story! No, seriously, this novella is the cutest. I feel like sprinkling little hearts and exclamation points all over my review, because adorable book is adorable.

So here’s what I liked about How The Other Half Lives. It was playful and witty and used the juxtaposition of the two MCs’ dueling POVs to great, cheeky effect. It read like a cute romcom, and I mean that in the best possible way (I tend to be s
The Novel Approach Reviews
Clare London is always a great go-to author when you’re looking for a little humor with a healthy dose of romance. How the Other Half Lives is an “Odd Couple” story, an attraction of opposites in the fastidious and fussy Martin Harrison, and the scattershot and rather slobby Russ McNeely, and I loved the way London brought these two men together in spite of themselves and their differences.

In a short sixty-five pages, How the Other Half Lives treats its readers to the buildup of a relationship t
Carra
Feb 20, 2017 Carra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a good opposites attract story, and this one hit the spot with its quirky characters, low angst and of course a happy ending. The fact that it’s a quick read with a little bit of heat makes it even better. It was really easy for me to identify with both characters even though they really were total opposites…and even given how opposite they were to each other, they actually do have plenty in common—as their interactions with their own friends clearly show.

Martin is almost borderline obses
Didi
Review of the Second Edition

This is a cute story of two strangers who couldn't be more opposites from one another. Prodded by their concern friends, Martin and Russ took part in their apartment's community scheme and ended up flat-siting each other. Neat and slob (although, Russ would probably prefer the term organized mess) collided. Both were likeable characters with equally charming friends.

How the Other Half Lives is the second entry of London Lads series, although it could be read as a s
Ririn
Nov 12, 2014 Ririn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ririn by: Anne Freya
Shelves: fiction, romance
Thank you Anne for the rec! :)
This is a short and sweet story about two guys flat-sitting each other's flats in London (?!)
They don't meet each other until the last 2 chapters, reminds me of Perfect Strangers aka Summer in The City, which I love.
Russ is a carefree freelance chef and Martin is an antique art dealer with a slight OCD.
The story has potential, but the author tend to use the 'telling' narration instead of 'showing' us the story.

I want more this:

I recall the bold, scrawling script,
Josephine Myles
*4.5 stars*

I don’t know how Clare does it, but she has this knack for writing clever little stories that just shouldn’t work as romances, yet somehow do. In How the Other Half Lives it takes about half the story before the two heroes meet, and before that they only communicate by notes and rearranging each others’ possessions. Then, there’s no on page smut, and the last chapter is seen through the viewpoint of their friends so we’re distanced from them again.

However, despite all these deviations
Lillian Francis
Jul 13, 2015 Lillian Francis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick and engaging read about opposites attracting. Told in alternating 1st person POV the MCs learn about each other (and a little about themselves) through a series of weekends flat-sitting and an exchange of notes. In fact they don't meet until halfway through the story. Despite this break from the norm in romance I found this novella a well crafted and enjoyable read. The characters were quirky and well rounded, and the dialogue was amusing. My only complaint, if I must have one, was that ...more
Alicehaibara
May 16, 2015 Alicehaibara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alicehaibara by: Anne Freya
Aww :33 a very quick read.
Berharap progress(?) Russ sama Martin lebih panjang lagi karena ... aku suka Russ /?/ tapi tetap saja menghibur setelah kebosanan dan kerutan alis dan perasaan ingin melempar buku di Allegiant *oops* :v dan penyegaran kembali ...
lalu berusaha ga klik epub yang lain karena ketagihan

Tame
Feb 15, 2011 Tame rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
seriously adorable story about two very opposite men, flat sitting, and the wonderful & zany things one can be blessed with, if they open themselves up to new and (sometimes) exciting and (sometimes) neurotic adventures. The dialogue was witty, the background of the characters was just enough, and the main characters. . . priceless :) Definitely a re-read for me!
Arzu
Feb 14, 2011 Arzu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very cute short read about 2 men, one messy and the other one "over"organized and tidy, who flatsit each others' appartments and never meet. Slowly with little notes, they change each others perspective of things. And then they finally meet ....
Opposites do attract!!
Apr 04, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny short. Really Enjoyed the senate however was a little bit disappointed with ending. Would love to have read more and how these two interesting characters developed and learned to adapt to there differences
Helena Stone
Full review of this sweet and fun story to follow soon.
SusieQ
Feb 26, 2011 SusieQ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and like others, I wished it was longer. The premise was unique, the alternating views & reactions hysterical, and the HEA satisfying. Would happily recommend this book to anyone who asked!!
Lily
Cute and entertaining "opposites attract" story.
Edina Rose
Feb 07, 2011 Edina Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read! Cute story. Super cute characters. I got attached to them.
LDL
Jul 16, 2011 LDL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very sweet. I like the alternating voices. Probably a 3.5 though. I keep going back and forth on 3 or 4 stars.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Tommy's Blind Date
  • The Match Before Christmas  (The Match Before Christmas #1)
  • All's Fair in Love and Advertising
  • Accidentally His (His #1)
  • Gambling On Maybe (GlitterBomb! #1)
  • Tortoise Interruptus
  • Tea and Crumpet
  • Caged
  • The Tradesman's Entrance
  • Beyond Reckless
  • Aquarius: He Said, He Said (Boys of the Zodiac, #11)
  • What
  • Like the Taste of Summer
  • precious_boy
  • Slings and Arrows (Petit Morts, #2)
  • Talker's Redemption (Talker, #2)
  • Academic Pursuits
  • Of Cocoa and Men
Clare took the pen name London from the city where she lives, loves, and writes. A lone, brave female in a frenetic, testosterone-fuelled family home, she juggles her writing with her other day job as an accountant. She’s written in many genres and across many settings, with award-winning novels and short stories published both online and in print. She says she likes variety in her writing while f ...more
More about Clare London...

London Lads (4 books)
  • Chase the Ace (London Lads, #1)
  • A Good Neighbour (London Lads, #3)
  • Peepshow (London Lads, #4)