Start by marking “Conflict of Honors (Liaden Universe, #8)” as Want to Read:
Conflict of Honors (Liaden Universe, #8)

Conflict of Honors

(Liaden Universe #8)

Sixteen-year-old Priscilla Delacroix was declared legally dead by her mother, High Priestess of the Goddess. Banished to survive on her own, Priscilla has roamed the galaxy for ten years as an outcast—to become a woman of extraordinary skill. . . .

An experienced officer assigned to the Liaden vessel Daxflan, she's been abandoned yet again. Betrayed by her captain and
Published July 30th 2002 by Ace (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Conflict of Honors, please sign up.
Tea73 You've probably decided what to do by now, but this was where I started and what hooked me. I don't think I missed too much, though I really wondered…moreYou've probably decided what to do by now, but this was where I started and what hooked me. I don't think I missed too much, though I really wondered who exactly the Liaden were, which definitely was not answered in this book!
(less)

Start your review of Conflict of Honors (Liaden Universe, #8)
Laura (Kyahgirl)
July 2016. 4.5/5; 5 stars; A

I just listened to this story again and have upped my rating. Maybe it's because the lines have been blurred from re-reading the books over and over but I really appreciate the tone and pace and characterization in this book. Looking closely, one sees the depth and breadth of balance and melanti as they shape the flow of Liaden life. Beyond the interesting crew and all the goings on of a trade vessel, I really enjoyed the masterful orchestration of "Balance" that
Wanda
A chance to catch up with Shan yos’Galen, whom I met as a youngster in another Liaden universe book, Local Custom. In addition to seeing how life is for a grown-up healer, I got to see the fireworks when he meets a woman of the same talents, who is even more an outsider than he is. His human blood makes him suspect on his home planet of Liad and a nebulous act in the past of Priscilla Mendoza has caused her to be banished from her homeworld.

Shan has a reputation for collecting strays (much like
Kerry
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, 8, sf, 2012, reread
I actually finished this a few days ago, but I haven't written anything ye, because I couldn't figure out what I wanted to say beyond "Yeah, I really liked rereading this one too and this is such a cool series". While honest, that's not really very helpful, even for someone who writes such subjective "reviews" as I do.

I've let it all percolate a bit, and I think that now, as I type, something hopefully useful will appear on the page.

It's been a while since I first read this series. My wonderful
Kathleen
I have read almost all the books in this romantic space-opera / fantasy series. Some Liaden Universe installments are much better than this one. I read this in the The Dragon Variation ebook, a collection of three novels. In the audio version, narrator Andy Caploe does a superb job (Audible).

In my view, Conflict of Honors is just too weird, with all the goddess power / shamanistic garbage, the free pleasure sex, and the sexual therapy, across genders. It is also dated, first published in 1988.

Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

I really enjoyed re-visiting Shan and Pricilla and all the others aboard the Dutiful Passage. There is such a feeling of warmth and camaraderie amongst the crew of the ship that can be directly attributed to Shan's great personality. This book is set about 30 years past where we met Shan as a youngster in Local Custom. The authors didn't mention anything about Shan's 'dramliz' abilities, so I felt a lack of continuity. I think this is to be expected thought because this book was
Fayley
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am so glad to have discovered the Liaden Universe books, which I enjoy as much for what they are not as what they are. ARE: character driven space opera. ARE NOT: rapey, scarey, horror filled, glorying in guts, self consciously artistic, cliffhangers, serious, political, preachy.

So if you like Nathan Lowell's Quarter Share books (but ran out), or the Aurora Episodes (but found them a little too short and tv script like), or Lois McMaster Bujold's character driven scifi (but are scared that's
Stephen
4.5 to 5.0 stars. Excellent novel. Anne McCaffrey described this book (and its sequels) best when she referred to them in the introduction as her favorite "comfort" books. This is grand space opera with great characters, great world-building and a well written plot. Highly Recommended!!!
Leslie
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This sci fi book was the second of the Liaden series to be published. I liked all the different alien races (especially the "turtles") and the adventure aspects of the plot.
Jamie Collins
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Science fiction romance. This is focused on a group of “Traders” engaged in speculation, buying goods to transport and sell between multiple planets.

The story is a cozy one. Our heroine has been traveling the galaxy, unappreciated and misused until she is taken on as a crewmember on the happiest ship ever, where people are astonished that her beauty and brilliance have never been acknowledged. She acquires friends, lovers and a new career, and with the help of her powerful new allies she
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Karen
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This series is so addicting!

05/03/2018: Starting again. A re-read just as addicting.
Hester
May 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I read this book because it was recommended to me.

Plus: it is compulsively readable, and hard to put down. I felt like a kid again. Also, I liked the description of work. Of course space ships have work, besides jetting off and carrying people toward adventures. People need to load the cargo. People need to decide what the cargo should be. I liked the book's focus on the nitty-gritty.

Minus: It has two of my pet peeves. One, the older wealthy man with exquisite taste. These consumer choices are
Carolyn F.
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, library-book
This series is getting better and better for me.

Priscilla has been made dead to her family for some religious reason at the age of 16. 10 years later she's on an awful ship and figures out they are buying and selling illegal drugs. They hit her over the head and strand her on a planet that has only one ship orbiting it. Shan, the captain, agrees to have her serve on the ship and finds he is very attracted to her. Also he finds out that a captain who made him his enemy is out to get not only him
Hélène Louise
A good read, good characters (Shan is quite Dumbledore like ^-^) in a science-fi fantasy-ish world.
But I was sadly kept back in my reading by the weird choice of narrative: we have access to ALL the characters' points of view, frequently in the same sentence, madly turning, leaping from character to another character, even the lesser ones. As a result we sometimes have to make an effort to understand who - for heaven sake ! - is thinking. And, much worse, nothing, absolutely nothing is left to
CatBookMom
Very different from Agent of Change and Carpe Diem. Shan's conversations are almost fizzy, as he bounces from fact to funny/sarcastic. The intro says it's an homage to Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey, and Shan's conversation is certainly witty, as is Lord Peter's.
Dichotomy Girl
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, sci-fi
I confess, I enjoyed this a lot more than Agent of Change. I can't pinpoint the cause. Was it just a better book? Was it a stronger connection to the characters? Most likely a combination of the two. The only downside? No Turtles!

Now, the hard part is trying to figure out which book in this "series" to read next.
CatBookMom
Some really bad mis-pronunciations (IMO) by the narrator, Andy Caploe. But none as bad as the voice he used at the very beginning for one of Priscilla's female crewmates (who was in a rant, and left the ship) on the **Daxflan** ship.

Book is good, narration isn't, so much.
Debrac2014
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story! It was good to get some background on the characters! I've already read Agent of Change so I'll continue reading about the Liaden Universe with Carpe Diem,which I've started already.
ms bookjunkie
Story: A new favorite and already a comfort read/listen. Fascinating story, wonderful worldbuilding, satisfying romance. 5 stars

Narration: Do not love it at x1 speed. Okay at x2 or x3 speeds. 2 stars
Red
Feb 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Anne McCaffrey
Recommended to Red by: Anne McCaffrey
Another book in the Liaden series. These are nice, easy books to read. Good character development, not overly complex plots, but a nice sized universe, with a little romance thrown in. Enjoyable reads.
Mike
May 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: space-opera
Good writing but just not enough action to keep my interest. Female protagonist and this book/series is probably more suited to female readers. Romance, etc. I've read a lot worse, just not enough going on here for this sci-fi geek.
Quartzen
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Liaden Universe is a series with a somewhat tortured publication history, and Conflict of Honors may be the most wind-tossed book in its number- the second-published book, set a few years before Agent of Change but in no real way a prequel to that book beyond an offhand mention of Val Con's scout career, bundled first with the action-driven Agent of Change and Carpet Diem in Meisha Merlin's omnibus reprint Partners in Necessity in its technically-prequel capacity and now with the "space ...more
Erica Anderson
Love the character of Shan yos'Galan. The love interest Priscilla? Not so much. In the Liaden books I've read, the male characters seem to consistently be more interesting than the female ones, and this is definitely true here. Priscilla is a milquetoast until about 50 pages from the end, when she suddenly becomes a superhero. In contrast, Shan has some almost Miles Vorkosigan traits, like the ability to plan several moves ahead, making other characters think he's mad. I adored him.

I keep
Janice
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The only problem I have with this series is that I start reading and then the books over. It feels like it takes about that long too. Not that they're particuarlly short books or anything. Just that once I start, I have a very hard time putting them down. Last night for instance. I was like "Okay, I'm going to read a chapter or two, and then do something else." Wrong. Just kept reading and now I'm done with it. Another change in the cast of characters, only not so drastic this time. The next ...more
Tess Ailshire
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: scifi, alternate universe readers
Recommended to Tess by: Jaimie Ailshire
This is the first I've read of this universe. Fortunately for me, I learned that reading them in order is not required.

This book is understandable as a standalone. It easily took me into the Liaden Universe and made me want to read others. As a standalone, it takes an effort to understand the universe, but no more than any good book would.

Definitely interested me enough to read others in the Universe.
Olga Godim
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
An OK sci-fi novel, although the ‘magical’ and religious undertones made the plot’s logic less than stellar and turned me off somewhat. It feels like the authors didn’t really know what was going on, magic-wise, so they made it as obscure to the readers as they could.
I liked Shan, the hero, but the heroine, Priscilla, left me indifferent.
And I hated it that the characters always drank alcohol: all day, every day. Doesn’t seem a safe way to fly a starship.
Beverley
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this book a bit slow to get started and had a bit of a hard time keeping my interest, although I really did enjoy the sarcasm. Some funny moments there :) But about half way through, it picked up and then the last 25% of the book really took off. This was a good read and I did enjoy it even though I'm not really big on sci-fi fiction. I would give it a 4 star for the humour, banter, and the story line.
D.
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally got around to reading this, after having the series recommended to me by many knowledgable folks.

I found it quite enjoyable. It's a throwback of sorts to "old-school" space opera, with modern sensibilities. I quite enjoyed the characterizations and political manipulations, although there were a few parts that fell a bit flat for me. Still, this is the start of a long series, and I'm told the series is worthwhile. I will definitely keep reading!
Titus Fortner
Light space opera with romantic elements. I enjoyed the humor more than the romance. This is presumably the sequel to Agent of Change, but with different characters. The psionic powers give it an interesting twist, not certain how I feel about adding this element to the series, but I will continue to the next book in the series.

Marianne Boutet
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Another excellent read. The build-up to the point where Shan and Priscilla were able to share their feelings was well done, and another book I could not put down until I finished it.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Space Opera Fans : April 2018 READER Conflict of Honors by Lee & Miller 18 35 Apr 28, 2018 04:28AM

• Eye Spy (Valdemar: Family Spies, #2)
  • Sundiver (The Uplift Saga, #1)
  • More Than Honor (Worlds of Honor, #1)
  • Shards of Honour  (Vorkosigan Saga, #1)
  • Project Elfhome (Elfhome, #4.5)
  • The Orphans of Raspay (Penric and Desdemona, #7)
  • Primary Inversion (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #1)
  • Pathways (Tales of Valdemar #11)
  • Flag in Exile (Honor Harrington, #5)
  • Dreamsnake
  • Darwin's Radio (Darwin's Radio #1)
  • Victory Conditions (Vatta's War, #5)
  • The Gordian Protocol
  • Valor's Trial (Confederation, #4)
  • Pierced by the Word: Thirty-One Meditations for Your Soul
  • Council of Fire (Arcane America, #2)
  • The Cunning Man
  • Tamales
Sharon Lee has been married to her first husband for more than half her lifetime; she is a friend to cats, a member of the National Carousel Association, and oversees the dubious investment schemes of an improbable number of stuffed animals.

Despite having been born in a year of the dragon, Sharon is an introvert. She lives in Maine because she likes it there. In fact, she likes it so much that she

Liaden Universe (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Crystal Soldier (The Great Migration Duology, #1; Liaden Universe, #1)
  • Crystal Dragon (The Great Migration Duology, #2; Liaden Universe, #2)
  • Balance of Trade (Liaden Universe, #3)
  • Trade Secret (Liaden Universe, #4)
  • Local Custom (Liaden Universe, #5)
  • Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6)
  • Mouse and Dragon (Liaden Universe, #7)
  • Agent of Change (Liaden Universe, #9)
  • Carpe Diem (Liaden Universe, #10)
  • Plan B (Liaden Universe, #11)