Start by marking “To Sir Phillip, With Love (Bridgertons, #5)” as Want to Read:
To Sir Phillip, With Love (Bridgertons, #5)

To Sir Phillip, With Love

(Bridgertons #5)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  27,760 ratings  ·  1,262 reviews
Sir Phillip knew from his correspondence with his dead wife's distant cousin that Eloise Bridgerton was a spinster, and so he'd proposed, figuring that she'd be homely and unassuming, and more than a little desperate for an offer of marriage. Except . . . she wasn't. The beautiful woman on his doorstep was anything but quiet, and when she stopped talking long enough to clo ...more
Published August 25th 2009 by Avon (first published July 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about To Sir Phillip, With Love, please sign up.
Dannie I think it could be, although I would still recommend reading the series in the right order, especially to understand the heroin better.

·  27,760 ratings  ·  1,262 reviews

Em Lost In Books
Another fun read and Phillip was the third hero, after Simon and Anthony, where daddy played a big role in how their life. Sadly it was bad influence here and innocent kids had to suffer. In all three books, this influence played a huge part in some of the vital decisions that our heroes took and it felt a little repetitive
Phrynne
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-2019
Book five and it is Eloise's turn to find her life partner. We had lots of indications in the previous book who it might be but not of the amazing way Eloise would set things in motion.

Georgette Heyer would turn over in her grave at the lack of chaperones but at least this set things up for an amazing and very funny scene when all the brothers turn up together to defend Eloise's honour. There were a lot of sad moments too, especially when the children were involved. Quinn actually wrote this ve
Karen
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing

"...any day with you."

Wow. I did not expect to fall in love with this book so much. But that ending... that freakin' ending just blew me away. What a sad existence Sir Phillip lived. And I'll have to be honest, I did not like this man very much. Not until the very end. But boy oh boy did he blow my knickers off at the end. I had planned on taking a break with the series after this book. But now... I think I must move forward. I am humbled Ms Quinn by your ability to spin a story.

Eastofoz
Sep 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers who love the Bridgertons or a well-written romance that will make you feel just plain happy
Quinn hits another 5 stars with this latest addition to the Bridgerton series. It’s brilliantly written, fun, funny, serious and heart-warming all at the same time with a nice dollop of steam to go with it ;)

The novel starts out with Eloise Bridgerton’s quest to find a husband because she’s feeling spinsterish at the ripe old age of 28. Everything starts when she sends out a standard condolence note to her cousin’s husband. After corresponding for some time he decides he wants to meet her and th
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

My Review

Well, what is there to say that hasn’t already been said? This is yet another fun installment of the Bridgerton series. I enjoyed the storyline, as it was different from the others, more unique – a nice change of pace from the usual plot in so many of today’s Historical Romances.

*sigh* I really, really loved Sir Phillip. What a tortured soul! What a brave man! What a sexy hunk of man-flesh. *sigh*

Eloise, with her common sense ways and affection for children which comes from being part
Rane
Sep 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Sir Phillip Crane is speechless when a beautiful woman appears on his doorstep, this couldn’t be the woman he’s been writing to? He image
[Aengell]
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
And this is said to be one of the not-so books in the series?

I loved it! Phillip was a flawed, traumatized, silent and brooding hero, just like I like them. Eloise was like a heroine by Julia Quinn should be: strong, stubborn, talking a little bit too much, but in the end endearing as ever. Together, these two were a well-fitting couple, and I felt myself very much invested in their romance, seeing that it was just adorable.

The twins were a delight to read about, and the relationship to their
Milica's Bookshelf

Sir Phillip Crane je udovac sa dvoje male djece koji se bavi botanikom. Njegova supruga je preminula od komplikacija nakon pokušaja samoubistva. Posle njene smrti on dobija pismo saučešća od Eloise Bridgerton. Njih dvoje nastavljaju konverzaciju dok u jednom pismu sir Phillip ne predloži Eloise da se uda za njega, iako se nikad nisu sreli.

Eloise prolazi kroz životnu krizu, jer ima dvadeset osam godina i još uvek nije udata, dok su njenih četvoro starijih braće i sestara u srećnom braku. Krišom
Seda
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Phillip öküzü, hödüğü, odunu yüzünden 1 veresim vardı ama seriyi ve aileyi çok seviyorum. Bir insan anca bu kadar kaba olur. Sanki 30 yıl mağarada ayılarla yaşamış gibiydi. Eloise iyi dayandı valla.

Erkek kardeşler ve Eloise biraraya gelince diyaloglar çok güzeldi yine. Kardeşleri ve anneleri okurken çok eğleniyorum, özellikle Colin ve bitmek bilmez iştahına bayılıyorum.😃😃
Nikoleta
Το λιγότερο ενδιαφέρον -για εμένα- βιβλίο, της σειράς εως τώρα.
Grecia Robles
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Mmmm no me gustó tanto como los anteriores libros, a mi me encantan las historias con cartas y todo eso pero quedó a deber, si hubiera más romance o nos hubieran presentado más su relación a base de carta me hubiera encantado pero todo se quedó en una palabra HUBIERA.
Es la historia es muy sosa, Eloise como protagonista me quedó a deber y Phillip bastante equis no me emocionó.
Mi pate favorita y lo que salva al libro es la intervención de los hermanos Bridgerton, ay es que no me acordaba de lo ce
Caz
I've given this an A+ for narration and an A- for content at AudioGals.

This fifth instalment in Julia Quinn’s Bridgerton series is one of the books I have somehow not got around to reading, and which, for some reason I can’t remember, I had thought to be one of the weaker books in the series. This new audio version has laid that misconception firmly to rest however, and is, I think, now one of my favourites of the set. To Sir Phillip With Love is perhaps not as light-hearted as many of the autho
Marta Luján
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La historia de Eloise Bridgerton es una historia de descubrimientos; de descubrirse a sí misma, quizás, y de descubrir a los demás, su familia, su amiga Penélope, sir Phillip... La novela transcurre de descubrimiento en descubrimiento hasta que, al final, su vida parece asentarse sobre un punto firme: el amor.

Comienza con el descubrimiento de su propio egoísmo, tras la boda de Penélope con Collin, su hermano, y del miedo a la soledad que la asalta. Y a partir de ahí, se desarrollan los acontecim
valee
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Owww! Wow! I have to say that Julia Quinn did it again. I adored this book. It was so good that I finished it in 8 hours and read it without stopping. I believe this has been the best book in the series so far. I know most of you won't agree but IMHO it was much better than the first 4 books. Books 1 and 2 were amazing but this one just got me sobbing many times, LOL.

Phillip and Eloise were such an amazing couple, just perfect for each other, exactly what they needed. The chemistry between both
♥Sharon♥
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing

“I think I’ve waited my entire life for you.”

I'm sure I am repeating myself here but I adore this series! Julia Quinn's writing is delightful. Her characters are even more so.

Sir Phillip may not be that hero that most would immediately fall in love with but I did. I cannot pinpoint why exactly. I just knew there was more to him than that tough exterior he put forth.

Sweet funny rambling Eloise. Everyone adored her. I sure did.

Sir Phillip and Eloise's story was a joy to read. I loved it whe
Exina
An amazing installment of the Bridgertons series again!

It deals with serious issues such as depression, suicide, grief, guilt. The characters struggle with real problems, and ambivalent feelings. Ambivalence makes this novel so real, because feelings and relationships are never black or white. The tone of the story mirrors this: it's light and humorous, but also serious and heartbreaking.

I loved Phillip's character. He is so lonely. He suffers from the memory of his painful childhood, and suffo
Jacob Proffitt
This is fifth in the series and the couples from the others show up periodically in this one. They aren't terribly important, though, so this one is relatively self-contained. It's probably good if you've read Romancing Mister Bridgerton, though.

Wow was this one a waste of time. I definitely expected better characterization for Eloise but she's mostly just generic Regency girl with a side of "doesn't she talk a lot?" Phillip, on the other hand, is a self-centered snot-weasel and never actually g
Consuelo
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ainsssss los Bridgherton. ....que bueno que es este también y que final......me quedan los dos pequeños nada más, pero mi favorita sigue siendo la historia de Franchesca
Belle
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
description

I missed Lady Whistledown, but I liked the letters too in the beginning of each chapter.
I liked Eloise's story, however Phillip wasn't my favorite, he was okay, but not as great as the previous male leads and their love story could have been better too.

description
Jasmin
How to search for true love?

One could hope that a parcel, containing directions to find one’s soulmate, fall off from heaven. But unfortunately, that is highly unlikely. There is no easy way to find the one.

And for Eloise Bridgerton, the search was definitely not easy. She endured a number of seasons only to accustom herself to a few years of spinsterhood. She refused six offers of marriage just to wait for her own epic romance of cosmic proportions.

And all it took was a simple correspondence to
Pat
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5*
Adorei, meu Deus, como eu amo romance de época, eu vou ser sincera eu só peguei este livro porque estou a espera do livro da Colleen, e como ele ainda não chegou eu olhei para a minha estante e disse vou continuar com a série dos Bridgerton e não me arrependi nada eu achei o livro tão bonito e tão bem conseguido, que terminei tão rápido que me deu vontade de mais.
Este livro conta a história da 5°irmã Bridgerton a Eloise, ela tem uma personalidade muito fofa é super tagarela, e decida, ela n
Ana // TheBooktarian
It wasn't as good as the previous ones simply because of the main male character, Sir Phillip!
As a woman, I feel really angry about some of the things he said during this book! I explain: Sir Phillip just wanted a woman to make his life easier, so that he wouldn't have to worry about 'stupid things' and could do whatever he wanted with his life and ultimately have all the fun! In his mind, the solution to all of his problems was to get a wife, so that she could take care of everything for him s
Jan
2.5 stars. Not my fav out of the series. I'm reading them in order, and I kinda like them, but on the whole this series is a little too lightweight and fluffy for my preference. As with any series, some books are better than others, and I do intend to read them all.

But this one did drag. I looked back to check, and I started this 3 or 4 months ago, got about half way through, then just lost interest. It got very slow in the middle, and I took a looonnngg break. But I finally went back to read t
Zoe
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I feel like such an oddball on Goodreads. What people love and rave about, I often find them not exactly my cup of tea. What people find not so great, I like a great deal.

That is the case with To Sir Phillip, with Love.

I read lots of reviews about the Bridgertons' stories. But I work my way slowly through them. Now I finally got to Eloise Bridgerton's story. It doesn't seem to be so well received. But I thought the relationship between Eloise and Phillip rather endearing, except for
Ivana Azap Feješ
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First reading 2011/08/11
WONDERFUL!!!
Second reading 2016/03/06

It started off with a letter, and turned out to be a correspondence that lasted well over a year, but when Eloise Bridgerton is asked an marriage proposal through a missive she’s a leery to even think about it, but when an event of marriage between her best friend and fellow spinster takes place, Eloise feels this may be her last chance at marriage and love. Sir Phillip Crane is speechless when a beautiful woman appears on his doorstep
Iliada
I read the first four Bridgerton books almost four years ago when I was taking my first tentative steps in Romancelandia. I regret having waited so long to read the rest as, back then, I used to read books with an enthusiasm I can't muster these days.

However, TSPWL is a very sweet romance made all the better by two naughty but adorable children, and a romance that built up realistically even withing the short time frame this book spanned.

Eloise was a wonderful heroine, intelligent and sunny - sh
♛ Garima ♛
I was not sure going into this without Penelope's funny alter-ego cunning reporter...and I put this in my maybe-later shelf. It was definitely enjoyable but I missed our reporter way too much.

So Eloise and Sir Philip, God knows, I like my heroines little bit less cheeky but cannot help but love Eloise. Sir Philip is grumpy, old man. So, at the end, it felt like Eeyore and Tigger pair...

I didn't enjoy until all Bridgerton brothers entered the story but after that it was too entertaining to put i
Cassandra Dexter Colby
Qué gusto leer nadismos así, con enaguas y sin pichotismos.
  • Tempt Me at Twilight (The Hathaways, #3)
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • Lord of Ice (Knight Miscellany, #3)
  • The Leopard Prince (Princes Trilogy, #2)
  • The Taming of the Duke (Essex Sisters, #3)
  • Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga, #3)
  • His Every Kiss (Guilty, #2)
  • The Perfect Stranger (The Merridew Sisters, #3)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and in 2001 she did so in grand style, competing on the the game show The Weakest Link and walking away with the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British an ...more

Bridgertons (8 books)
  • The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1)
  • The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2)
  • An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)
  • Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4)
  • When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6)
  • It's in His Kiss (Bridgertons, #7)
  • On the Way to the Wedding (Bridgertons, #8)
“Men. The day they learned to admit to a mistake was the day they became women.” 82 likes
“If one didn't have love, was it better, then, to be alone?” 51 likes