Start by marking “The Whisperer” as Want to Read:
The Whisperer

The Whisperer

(Mila Vasquez #1)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  12,209 ratings  ·  1,479 reviews
A gripping literary thriller and smash bestseller that has taken Italy, France, Germany and the UK by storm.

Six severed arms are discovered, arranged in a mysterious circle and buried in a clearing in the woods. Five of them appear to belong to missing girls between the ages of eight and eighteen. The sixth is yet to be identified. Worse still, the girls' bodies, alive or
Published January 5th 2012 by Mulholland Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Whisperer, please sign up.
Rubberboots Yep - author gave in to all the possible cliches imaginable to implausible plot twists. Too bad - the book was off to a great start! Ending was just t…moreYep - author gave in to all the possible cliches imaginable to implausible plot twists. Too bad - the book was off to a great start! Ending was just terrible.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Ivana Barlov L'ipotesi del male (The Vanished Ones) is a sequel of the Whisperer. Haven't read it yet but it is written on the covers.

·  12,209 ratings  ·  1,479 reviews

Start your review of The Whisperer
Iguanapaws Emerson
Yay - it's another thriller where the author thinks that the more gruesome it is, the more deserving of our attention! Another thriller where the characters are supposedly interesting, but instead have all the depth of a pancake! This book is absolute tripe: the story is nonsensical, highly reliant on coincidence, full of holes - and that's even before the psychic nun (I wish I was joking) gets involved. We keep getting told that the characters are flawed and interesting, but without constantly ...more
Virginie
Apr 17, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: policier, suspense
Ugh. This one didn't work for me. 1 star for making me skim through the whole book because I wanted to know who did it and for having some interesting elements in the ending. But not that much...

Too many boring explanations, too many repetitions, too many characters I didn't believe in at all and too many easy solutions (an old medium, really? I like fantasy elements when they seem to fit with the story... That was just out of nowhere!).

That's it! Needless to say my review doesn't reflect the gl
Sally the Salamander
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who like crime/mystery and don't mind suspending disbelief
Shelves: crime, mystery, thriller
Yes, this is my review from Amazon copy/pasted.

Just a warning, I tend to ramble, so this might be a bit discombobulated.

Alright? Alright. Leggo.

First things first. Is it terrifying? Chilling? Will it make you afraid of the dark? Should it be read only in the company of others, that you might have someone to cling to when fear overtakes you?

No. It's kinda creepy at some points. Kinda gory at some points. If you can watch any basic crime drama on TV (NCIS, Bones, CSI, etc) you can handle this book
Lou
"Stations .
It's strange, thought Mila. While for the rest of the world they're only a place you pass through, for some they're a terminus. They stop there and they don't leave again. Stations are a kind of ante-hell, where lost souls congregate in the hope that someone will come and collect them.
An average of twenty to twenty-five individuals disappear every day. Mila knew the statistic very well. All of a sudden these people vanish without warning, without a suitcase. As if they had dissolved
Diane S ☔
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Creepy, dark, at times I felt the evil literally waft off the pages. Different characters, major twists, I honestly never saw them coming. Don't know where this novel takes place, but it doesn't seem to matter as if the author is telling the reader that the place doesn't really matter and that this type of evil exists everywhere and anywhere. Hopefully there will be a sequel.
mina
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017, read-2019
This is the reason I don’t do re-reads. First time I read this I loved it (assuming by the five stars I gave it), but now it was an average read for me and I had some issues with it. This review will contain spoilers.

At first I had problems getting into the story and the writing, but that could’ve been the result of noisy background. The writing turned out to be good however the plot started being a mess towards the end and it had some real questionable things happening.

Let’s start with the whol
Kelli Bragg
Mar 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book was incredible frustrating to read. I'm not sure if there as something lost in the translation for crucial descriptions, but as I stated in my comment to a review on Amazon.com:

"...I'll forgive the awkward dialogue, given that it's a translation. But, I'm at chapter 15, and -- possible spoiler warning? -- they're talking about how Mila is incapable of empathy and can't understand other people. Yet, in the previous chapters:

* she's outraged for one of the victims, whose schoolmates (tho
Linda  Branham Greenwell
Loved this book - read it in one day. I'm home with a cold - so spent the day reading :)
It is a mystery thriller translated from Italian
Officer Mila Vasquez specializes in finding missing children. Having a sixth sense about the men and women who abduct children, she successfully rescues hundreds of children, yet shies away from the limelight. While harboring a secret of her own, she is called in to help Dr. Gavila and his team solve a case of a missing girl.
The case in this novel begins with a
Sarine
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am speechless.
This book was AMAZING. It is not your typical mystery thriller book.
Unfortunately, it's not everybody that will like the subject. It's a touchy story but damn, it was so entertaining and mysterious till the end. So many cliffys during the book, that left me blow mind.
I just loved this thriller.
I recommend this story to people that love gory and really sensible subject. I can't describe how I'm still speechless.
Well done...
Antonia
“Like the whole range of other human emotions, it's just a matter of chemistry. We are all nothing but machines made of flesh.”

It is true to most book lovers out there that books which belong to the Thriller, Mystery and Crime genres are generally easy to predict and the reader can discover some of the "clues" that the author has left for him/her, if he/she is careful enough. But "The Whisperer" by Donato Carrisi wasn't one of these books. Fast-paced, unpredictable, thought-provoking and utt
Rose☮️
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Daaaaaamn!!! This could give Silence of the Lambs a run for its money!

A very dark mystery with incredible build up of suspense with just the right amount of twists and turns without using obvious red herrings to manipulate you in another direction. Just a wonderfully satisfying thrill ride right up to the last page.

Highly recommend!!!!
Vaso
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best mystery books I 've ever read!!!!!!
Ана Петровска
I can't see what people see in this book. I found the first 200 pages boring and the next 200 - 300 a bit more entertaining but still with certain irrationalities and just, weird things that weren't necessary. I mean Nicla? Goran (whyy 😭)? And at the beginning, how does Boris get so offended that Mila (basically a stranger to him) didn't want to be touched by him? Just because you do something for a girl (and he litrrally just bought her some food), doesn't mean you're permitted to do whatever y ...more
Margaret
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice thriller, but I do not enjoy crime stories connected to supernatural abilities or events. I prefer crime novels with realistic detection, and ghost books with heroes with supernatural skills.
Christina
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
It is incredibly rare for me to find a book of this size and read it in one day. But I felt as though I was coming so close to the heart of the mystery that I couldn't put it down. Turns out, I was wrong all along.
I am very rarely, and I mean RARELY, surprised by an ending, but I didn't see it coming. I have a difficult time disseminating whether it's due to superior writing or naivety on my part.
I did have a few issues with this book, but for the most part they resolved themselves at the end.
Sonja Arlow
Nov 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Overall this was a gripping, if a little messy, psychological thriller that’s not for the faint hearted.

Six severed left arms are found buried in a circle in a forest glen. Those left arms belong to children. Girls, in fact - five of them reported missing. But no sixth child has been reported missing. No bodies have been found at all.

Criminologist Goran Gavila brings in Officer Mila Vasquez to work with his team. Mila's specialty is finding missing children. She is battling her own demons as the
Marina
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that totally freaked me out. I was reading at 2.00 AM and went to check if my front door was locked.

Six arms. Buried in the meadow. The arms belong to six little girls.Are the girls dead or alive? Where are the missing girls?
The criminologist Goran Gavila works on the case. Another member of the team is Mila Vasquez . Both, usually work alone. But now, they have to work as a team.
Goran Gavila has skeletons in the closet. He is a single parent to a boy since his wife left. He can
Asha Stark
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are so many reviews from Americans complaining about how grim and gruesome this book is and honestly, y'all picked up a book about the murder of five children and expected something other than a gruesome and grim read? Wow.

Was this book the herald of a new age in murder mystery writing? Nah. Was it truly something to sink your teeth into? Hell yeah.

All I can think, to account for the unfavourable reviews, is that it's lost something in being translated.
Patricio
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
«We are all nothing but machines made of flesh.»

After being blown away with The Lost Girls of Rome, also written by Donato Carrisi, I knew it’d be hard for any other thriller novel to top it, yet I dared to hope The Whisperer would perhaps be that book.
That might not have happened, but it was a great, outstanding read, nonetheless.

This book had a quite strong and intriguing beginning – 6 severed arms are discovered, arranged in a circle and buried in a clearing in the woods. Five of them appear
Perri
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: perri-s-2020
I was sucked into this murder mystery! The Italian setting definitely added to my enjoyment-interesting to contrast to the many american crime books I've read. Credibility was stretched a bit , and I didn't believe some of the characters, but a dark and twisty read!
Geza Tatrallyay
Jun 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Good book, topic is searing, a bit loose at times. Place and time not well depicted,
Tessa
I started this book right after I finished “The Brighton Mermaid” and if you read my last blog post, you must know that I loved that mystery and thought no other book would be able to amaze me that much this year.

But, thankfully, The Whisperer was absolutely able to fascinate me. I did not know the author and I wasn’t even aware of the existence of this book, but when my boyfriend suggested it, I had to start right away because I had a feeling this would be a perfect balance between cleverness a
Ward
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The Whisperer gets ALL THE STARS! This is my first OMG read of 2018. Fans of crazy serial killer madness... READ. THIS. BOOK.

This completely snuck up on me. It’s been in my TBR forever (I don’t even recall how it got there), it’s an older book, and it’s by an Italian screenwriter translated into English. So unassuming, and oh so wonderful.

A graveyard of arms. That’s all I’m gonna say about the plot.

I will say that I feel the title and the cover does it an injustice. “The Whisperer” and butterfli
Ines IBRAHIM
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first reaction after reading this book

I'm confused !

I think this is the first thriller of this kind I read, and reading another one of those would be too soon. It's gripping, and I couldn't stop reading. But reading about f*ed up people, was not enjoyable for me.
I liked the twist in the end though, but I'm left wondering ...
Angelin
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A crime novel by Carrisi who studied law and criminology is sure to be filled with actual nuances and facts about the truth of crimes and I wasn’t disappointed on that count. It was great to read when you know that methodologies and stories are congruent. The writer hooks you on the story and keeps you at the edge of your seat throughout the book with the many twists and turns that are oftentimes unexpected.
Instead of being plainly a crime novel, Carrisi is also at times poetic, adding colours t
Xapphirea
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: paper, thriller
+ some parts are thrilling
+ reasonable character development
+ a quick read
- moralistic
- not entirely credible
- horrific ending
- no dragons
Sundus
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
An unusual psychological thriller with lots of twists and turns. It was worth a read. Not for everyone though
Marco
This is quite rare but I believe I only have good things to say about this book. It's one of the greatest mystery/psychological thrillers I’ve read. The portrayal of the serial killer in this book is unique and disturbingly captivating. The narrative and the characters are detailed, intense, dark and utterly fascinating - believe me, if you’re a fan of this genre, you won’t be able to put this novel down. From now on, I'll be making sure I read everything Donato Carrisi writes.
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
Original review posted at Layers of Thought.

A translated Italian crime fiction novel, that’s another thrilling read for the fans of this popular and emerging genre. A very dark psychological read, with a paranormal element, which is not for the faint of heart, or stomach.

About: Six children’s arms are found in a desolate wooded area and the police are distraught, wondering where are the rest of the girls’ bodies? Half assuming they are all dead, it turns out that one may still be alive. The loca
Becky
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, translated
When a burial site containing six arms is discovered, Goran Gavila's team is called in to investigate. Gavila is a highly trained criminologist and his team of investigators is no doubt the best for the job. They know that the arms belong to a string of missing girls that's been reported in the region. The catch? There are six left arms. They only know of five missing girls. Enter Mila Vasquez, an officer whose specialty is tracking down missing people. Together, they will have to unravel the mo ...more
Comentario de cada libro hasta ahorita 1 3 Jul 06, 2017 09:27AM
Goran Gavila 1 60 Jul 22, 2013 07:57AM

• Trigger
  • Io uccido
  • Le manuscrit inachevé
  • Ninfa dormiente (Teresa Battaglia, #2)
  • Deca zla
  • Fiori sopra l'inferno (Teresa Battaglia, #1)
  • PROFAJLER