Start by marking “The Dead Town (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein #5)” as Want to Read:
The Dead Town (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein #5)

The Dead Town

(Dean Koontz's Frankenstein #5)

The war against humanity is raging. As the small town of Rainbow Falls, Montana, comes under siege, scattered survivors band together to weather the onslaught of the creatures set loose upon the world. As they ready for battle against overwhelming odds, they will learn the full scope of Victor Frankenstein’s nihilistic plan to remake the future—and the terrifying reach of ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

Kaylynn Johnsen
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why do I love Koontz? Hmmmm... so many reasons. Here is just a sample:

"Jocko was a tumor. Well he started out as a tumor-like lump... Then he became self-aware. A tumor with attitude. Hopes and dreams. And he grew fast. Later he burst out of that host body. Became something more than a tumor. Something better.

He became a monster. Some people screamed when they saw Jocko. Others fainted. Birds dive-bombed him. Cats hissed and rats fled squeaking. Jocko was a very effective monster...

A monster was
jv poore
I enjoyed the conclusion of Dean Koontz's Frankenstein. One of my favourite things about Mr. Koontz's writing is the depth of his characters, so it was great to revisit Jocko, Deucalion, Michael & Carson and Nummy.

Because this series could have ended so many different ways, particularly since Mr. Koontz is not above killing off a main character, the frentic activity made for a page-turning read and a unique twist on a very old tale.
Tracy
Jun 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
I drug this one out because I am going to miss Deucalion! and Jocko and Mr. Lyss and Carson and Michael! The ending wasn't as dramatic as it could have been and at parts I got lost and didn't understand how certain scenes tied to the story but I am a die hard Koontz fan and I loved this series!
Holmes
Mar 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
[Spoilers alert!]

I don't know why I'm still reading this Frankoontztein crap. Yes, Dean Koontz knows how to keep you hooked, but increasingly he's treating his readers like they're idiots. He just doesn't care about the quality of his Frankenstein series anymore. In this fifth, supposedly final installment, everything is just plain stupid and anti-climactic. Let me vent it out:

1) What kind of plot is it when all the bad guys start "malfunctioning" on their own, so that the good guys just need to
Nicholas Beck
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: koontz
Without a doubt in my mind, this was the best of the series, simply with the way the entire series in wrapped up very "efficiently" by Koontz. The four hundred pages zoom by in anticipation of the climactic conclusion. So much could be said about this book, and the characters which are brought to life throughout; Carson and Michael are determined former detectives who always are putting other people's needs in front of their own, since they recognize the humanity in everyone; Nummy and Mr. Lyss ...more
David
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
The fifth and final book of Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series was not the worst book of the series (that would be the 3rd or 4th), but I can say honestly that I'm glad it's over. The first two books of this series were great! It was exciting, action-packed, and a great twist on the Frankenstein story, set in New Orleans. Then Katrina hit New Orleans and Koontz felt compelled to delay any further entries so as not to impose any fictitious horrors to the city in addition to the real life ones, in ...more
Pamela Scott
Aug 06, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Dead Town picks up right where Lost Souls finished.

Victor Immaculate Lunatic-bastard Leben and his ‘Communitarians’ and ‘Builders’ are gradually disposing of the residents of Rainbow Falls and using their chewed up flesh to breed new Builders in cocoon-sacks that dangle, suspiciously from ceilings of buildings all over town.

Deucalion and otherwise useless baby-drooling cops turned PI’s have been joined by an ‘intrepid’ band of survivors including a hobo and his feeble-minded companion, a gro
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
I really liked it, but The Dead Town is not my favorite in the 5-book series.

I enjoyed the comic elements provided - I love the abundance of quirky characters. I also liked how Dean Koontz's Frankenstein is linked to Mary Shelley's Frankenstein Story near the end (Chapter 64). I re-read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein in 2016 and I think how Dean mentions Robert Walton aboard the ice-bound ship helps tie things together rather nicely.

Favorite Passages:

Mr. Lyss drove around going nowhere in the snow
Siobhan
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still dealing with the same evil, a stand is being made. This time the original group are not alone in wanting to rid the world of Frankenstein’s evil ways. With the aid of many, those from the former books make the final stand against the evil of the world, concluding with what could be either life or death for the human race.

Koontz takes the original Frankenstein story and creates something wonderful. Taking the idea of the classic story, Koontz places Frankenstein and his monster in the moder
♥ Marlene♥
I liked this book better than book 3. It kept my interest although it wasn't as good as book 1 and 2.Dean Koontz is very good in describing characters and making them realistic for you even when they are tumours. lol! I also loved Mister Lyss. The way Dean Koontz describes the relationship between Mr Lyss and Nummy is really fantastic. It seems to me he is getting better and maybe he should try and write a non horror/thriller kind of book. Anyway it was a decent end to the series. 3.5
Kenisha
Jackie Zimmermann
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of the series, I was thoroughly satisfied with how Koontz wrapped up this tale. The book itself, to my enjoyment, has far more action than the previous installment, and any fan of the series will whiz through the final pages and close this book with a feeling of great satisfaction.
Tom Mueller
Book V - the Final Volume.
Earlier installments have been engrossing and fast paced.
Man vs the monsters of evil's imagination.
Good trumps Evil.
Victor's demise at the hands of Deucalion is anti-climatic and rather rushed.
Julie Powell
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brillant! I'm never disappointed with his books.
wally
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: koontz
how did this one slip by? published in 2011? was reading them as they came out and this final, book five, i just now read. heh! finished it in the tree stand 'bout 1:30 pee em, this last day of november, the 30th, 2017. i know i've likely read other stories published since one...forget titles, i'm terrible with titles. last story i read was a koontz. title? (well, mia is singing the blues...she thinks she'd like the pizza i just finished...really putting on a show.) title? dunno. the last one.

ni
Gary Smith
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this entire series, the only complaint I have about the novel is that it ended to soon lol. Im still upset that this didn't become a movie or series. I loved Nummy and Mr. Lyss lol, those two always cracked me up. Deucalion was a beast! Awesome series, may have to read more Koontz after this series.
Merrilee Buroker
Dean Koontz has a way of making any story chilling and profound. And always with a positive, uplifting ending that makes you feel like Good will always win out in the end. Which makes the scary parts worth it, right? I will miss Deucalion, and Jocko, and Carson and Michael. I am sad to see this series end. We need more, Mr. Koontz!
Erin **Coffee, Book, Essential Oils Addict**
This book was interesting, and not something that I would normally pick up to read. I didn't really enjoy it much. I do however, enjoy Koontz's writing style, so that made it easier to read due to my lack of interest in the story line.
Brian
Jun 15, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So where to start. The Frankenstein series is a great example of a great idea gone horribly wrong. It showed such promise in the beginning. I thought the first two books were the best novels Koontz had written in a really long time and was really excited to see what direction it was going to take. Then he got rid of the co-authors and wrote the rest of the series solo and it was quite remarkable how much of a difference it made.
It was a night and day difference! It became your typical Koontz
Kristen
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure who to be more worried about in terms of the obsessive fascination with gallows humour - Dean Koontz for writing it, or me for reveling in it! This was a fabulous ending - a final one this time! - to the sensational Frankenstein series Koontz envisioned!

In re-imagining the Frankenstein story not only in present-day, but also with the "monster" as the hero, Koontz really turned what I've always considered a yawner of a monster story into a no-holds-barred, knock it out of the park bl
Emily
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Greg
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Maybe Dean Koontz fans, but not representative of his better work.
The last of Dean Koontz’ Frankenstein series has Deucalion and his allies battling manufactured replicants and a cloned Victor Helios (now Victor Immaculate) for the survival of a town in Montana. Some die, though few of the good guys. In short, much mayhem, some light grossness and horror (though nothing a twelve-year-old couldn’t handle), occasional potty mouth expressions, and eventual victory for the good guys. Not especially exciting or captivating.

Basically, there was nothing really new to
Dark-Draco
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The end of the series and I must admit, I'm not sure it was worth reading in the end :(

I did enjoy it (hence the stars!). The characters are just as funny as previously and the ramped up horror from the initial trilogy is so much better. I loved the fact that the Communitarians started to mis-function due to be too efficient, and that Victor, suffering from delusions of supreme intelligence, doesn't accept that things are going badly.

But the ending was just crap. It took so long for all the sepa
Michelle Leah Olson
I get so caught up in the new worlds of UF & PNR that I've discovered, that I forget how incredibly amazing the world of Dean Koontz can be!
I've read virtually everything he's ever written, and have my absolute favorites that I've read over & over, and this series & the Odd Thomas series rank right up there with those.
Dean Koontz spins a tale like no other, unraveling imagery the likes of which I have never found elsewhere, and creating such a vivid picture in the reader's mind, yo
David Doyle
Jun 05, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I didn't realize this was the 5th book, I read it instead of the first. But if this is how it wraps up, I don't think I'll read the others. In this book, Dr. Frankenstein has moved to Montana to implement his diabolical plan to destroy all humanity. Most every chapter introduces a new character, who often die in the same chapter. Those that survive don't do much. There were 3 memorable characters, all which apparently were introduced in earlier books: Mr. Lyss & Nummy have some good li ...more
Michele
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Book 5 of Frankenstein series. The entire series was a quick, superficial read. Not great, but entertaining enough for me to want to read them. THe last book was a disappointment to me.
The original Frankenstein monster is the good guy, but only makes rare appearances through the books. The original Dr, Frankenstein is responsible for creating new monsters and wants to take over the earth. The first few books were fun. The Doctor dies along with all of his creatures in the (third or fourth?) boo
Geoff Battle
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final part of Koontz's Frankenstein saga is a chaotic and horrific soap opera. The plethora of character arcs cross over, bleed in to one another, some finding conclusions where others simply fizzle out. In fact, new characters emerge at the eleventh hour, presenting options for closure the existing cast could not. These factors suggest Koontz was probably just making this up as he went along, which is why it has that enigmatic, yet addictive, Twin Peaks feel to it. The series has been a rol ...more
My Review: This book is beige. That seems to be the best way to describe it— beige and unexceptional. Perhaps it’s because the first Frankenstein books (there are 5 in the series) were so incredible that this final volume strikes me as anticlimactic; perhaps because I read it after finishing a particularly spectacular book by Stephen King; or perhaps because Koontz himself became disenchanted with the Frankenstein story toward the final volumes and unintentionally reflected that sentiment in his ...more
Ralph McEwen
You definitely need to have read the first four books before reading this one. I am a little disappointed, it seem at the end of book 4 that book 5 could shift directions and leave the whole - Victor Frankenstein / Wiley E. Coyote (Super Genius) dialogue and his misfits of monsters behind, it didn’t. The plot just plods along on its violent / psychotic / silly way to the end which it fully reaches, thankfully. OK I am more than just a little disappointed. I feel that Koontz could have, should ha ...more
Marina Fontaine
An all-around great conclusion to the series, but I suggest reading this one very quickly after Lost Souls because it's a direct sequel and you are presumed to know exactly what's going on and who the characters are. In reality I think it would have worked better with 4 and 5 being one book. My only other quibble is similarities to Midnight make the last 2 books less original than the first trilogy. But otherwise I would say it's Koontz's best work in years. For everyone who has complained about ...more

• Dark of the Woods/Soft Comes the Dragons
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • Demon Child
  • Nevermore
  • Christmas Is Good!: Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom
  • Beautiful Death: Art of the Cemetery
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Assassin's Code (Joe Ledger, #4)
  • Scavenger (Frank Balenger, #2)
  • Death Instinct
  • Doll's Eyes
  • The Dark at the End (Repairman Jack, #15)
  • Twist of Fate: The Locket (The Blackstone Chronicles, #2)

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na

Dean Koontz's Frankenstein (5 books)
  • Prodigal Son (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein #1)
  • City of Night (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein #2)
  • Dead and Alive (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein #3)
  • Lost Souls (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein #4)
“Love was everyone's to experience if they opened their hearts, but true love was a rare and sterling thing, damn if it wasn't, a sterling thing that required the intervention of destiny: two hearts fated to be as one, finding each other among the billions of the world. True love, by God, was the Excalibur of emotions, and if you recognized it when you saw it, if you drew that noble, shining blade from the stone, your life would be a grand adventure even if you lived it entirely in one small town.” 13 likes
“When you start life as a tumor with a brain, there's no where to go but up.” 8 likes