Start by marking “Neonomicon (Moore's Cthulhu Mythos)” as Want to Read:
Neonomicon (Moore's Cthulhu Mythos)

Neonomicon

(Moore's Cthulhu Mythos)

Comic book legend Alan Moore (WATCHMEN, FROM HELL) and brilliant artist Jacen Burrows deliver a chilling tale of Lovecraftian horror!  Brears and Lamper, two young and cocky FBI agents, investigate a fresh series of ritual murders somehow tied to the final undercover assignment of Aldo Sax –the once golden boy of the Bureau, now a convicted killer and inmate of a maximum s ...more
Published November 8th 2011 by Avatar Press, Inc. (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Neonomicon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neonomicon

mark monday
a sociopathic FBI profiler finds a dark path and takes it. some time later, two more agents follow in his footsteps. murder, rape, rage, despair, racism, homophobia, a swinger party, a cult, hallucinatory freak-outs, nightmarish dreamscapes, Deep Ones, Cthulhu, Nyarlathotep, H.P. Lovecraft, and gruesome bloody slaughter are all delivered in a timely fashion.

celebrated genius Alan Moore's graphic novel was, per the author's own admission, done for a paycheck and so that's that. it was also remove
Imogen
May 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
Wow, this is a book about a woman who struggles with sex addiction being locked in a room and sexually assaulted by a monster over the course of a week, which solves all her problems. If that sounds nice to you, you do not sound nice to me.

I think mostly I'm pissed because this is on so many "best horror comics" lists I've read, and not a single one of them mentions the fact that it's just. about. a woman. being raped. by a monster. For a week. Which is presented as not even a big deal to her!
Dan Schwent
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
The Courtyard: When federal agent Aldo Sax goes deep undercover to find a mysterious drug called Aklo, he gets snared in net of Lovecraftian craziness with Johnny Carcosa at the center.

Aside from being peppered with racial slurs, I thought this was a pretty good tale. Aldo Sax encounters cosmic horrors and flips his shit. Moore seeded the text with plenty of Lovecraftian references, like The Shadow over Innsmouth, The Horror at Red Hook, Zothique (actually a Clark Ashton Smith), and Randolph Car
Alejandro
Alan Moore… only him!

This TPB edition collects “Neonomicon” #1-4, but also includes “The Courtyard” #1-2, which both are parts of the same story.

Creative Team:

Writer: Alan Moore

Illustrator: Jacen Burrows

THE EGG OR THE CHICKEN?

Maybe some of you remember by review about Providence, if not, it’s relevant to say that the stories collected here, The Courtyard and Neonomicon are linked to Providence, which it serves as prequel AND sequel to the first two mentioned stories.

So, what to read first?

I
Sean Gibson
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Really more like 2.5 stars, but we'll round up because Alan Moore is generally, if nothing else, exceedingly interesting. If you're into graphic monster/human sex (moreso than I am, anyway) and H.P. Lovecraft, you may dig this. Otherwise, you probably want to read pretty much anything else Moore has written instead. Including his grocery list.
David Schaafsma
Warning to my friends reading this review: I did "like" this as I thought it was well executed, but... this is an ultra-graphic H.P. Lovecraft horror story with plenty here to offend and frighten and disturb everyone.... so I can't imagine many people reading this and actually "enjoying." I did, actually, which probably says something about me, so watch out. I read this because I am making it through the Alan Moore corpus, slowly, dabbling in it, at least, and wanted to see what he does with Rea ...more
Sam Quixote
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Neonomicon is the sequel to Antony Johnston and Jacen Burrows’ graphic adaptation of Alan Moore’s The Courtyard, a short story by Moore from the ‘90s. If you missed it, don’t worry because The Courtyard is included in this book. This time around Burrows returns with Moore scripting the comic.

Aldo Sax, the main character of The Courtyard, is in an insane asylum speaking Lovecraftian gibberish after he was arrested for murdering his neighbour. Two FBI agents, Gordon Lamper and Merril Brears, are
Nicholas Kaufmann
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
What starts out as an interesting supernatural procedural in a world where Lovecraft's mythos is real is all but undone by Moore's nearly adolescent preoccupation with sex. It wouldn't be an issue if the sex were portrayed as healthy and positive -- I could get behind that -- but here the sex is entirely non-consensual. A female character is raped during an orgy of cultists and then raped again, repeatedly, by an inhuman monster with an insatiable sexual appetite. But it's okay, Moore assures us ...more
Ashley Daviau
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my first graphic novel and it was an excellent one to start with! The illustrations were absolutely stunning and the story itself was incredibly weird and at times disturbing, but in a good way! I felt like I was a part of the story, puzzling it out along with the characters. I really couldn't have enjoyed this graphic novel more, it was strange and captivating and has started what I'm sure will become an obsession with graphic novels!
James DeSantis
Mar 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
What's start off decent enough, murder mystery, mixed with cult behavior, just becomes one big long rape scene.

If it's not bad enough a bunch of people will rape you over and over again, a fish like creature comes from the water and begins to do it too. Over and over again for a week this detective gets raped pretty brutally until the point she barely can take it anymore and offers the fish creature a handjob to satisfy his needs for a minute. Then he drinks her pee. Then he frees her. Then...w
Jonathan
May 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Update: This is basically a better version of the story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QFwo5...

Now, the idea of Alan Moore writing a Lovecraft comic sounds *amazing*, doesn't it? :D At the mention of such a concept, visions of a Lovecraft tale on the scale of "Watchmen" or "From Hell" or "V for Vendetta" fill one's mind. And GODDAMN if that wouldn't be amazing.

Yeeeeeah...that's not what we get here. At four issues, "Neonomicon" is quite brief, and given its quality, that might be a good thing.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I'll be honest, the only reason I picked this up to read is on principle. My local public library director pulled this from the shelves after a parental complaint, not even following the policies the library has for contested items. It was properly shelved with other graphic novels and not in the childrens' section, but a parent didn't like that her daughter had gotten her hands on something with this content. The graphic novel remains censored at that library a year later, but the academic libr ...more
Miles Reid-lobatto
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was ok

This book is a hard one to review. I think Alan Moore is a brilliant writer and his work in the comic industry is well deserved of praise (V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Saga of the Swamp Thing) and critical acclaim. But the two interconnected stories here, The Courtyard and Neonomicon show Alan at his good and his bad and also shows off a rather disturbing trend in his work.

The Courtyard is the best story of the two, throwing the Lovecraftian Mythos into the seedy world of back street drug dealings,
Ross Byrne
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Okay, here we go: if you love Lovecraft like I do, and you are a fan of Alan Moore, like I am, then stay as far away from Neonomicon as is humanly possible, because it's an insult to both. Moore has described the book as 'the most unpleasant thing I've ever written.' and on those terms at least, it lives up to its premise. A sequel to his geniunely chilling and enjoyable short story The Courtyard, inspired by a poem in Lovecraft's Fungi From Yuggoth cycle, Neonomicon takes the worst excesses of ...more
Barnaby Thieme
Oct 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comic-book, hated
Although I am not a big Alan Moore fan, I was beguiled into giving Neonomicon a try by its fabulous premise - a modern-day, Lovecraftian tale of mystery and madness.

Moore apparently believes that the best way to build upon Lovecraft's legacy is to add long episodes of truly horrific sadism and sexual violence. In general, I'm deeply put-off by Moore's fascination with such material, and his tendency to dwell at length on wicked characters doing really monstrous things.

I do not object to such p
Jedi JC Daquis
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Visually explicit and disturbing, I bought this solely because it has Alan Moore as the author. What I got is more than what I have asked for. Jacen Burrows is indeed a talented artist. He is able to keep the intensity of the scenes, be it the mystery, the sensuality and the gore. Oh the gore. I wasn't ready for it, yet loved every bit (of flesh) of detail. Neonomicon is a graphic material which is definitely not for children.

If you are of the conservative type or easily grossed out with sick m
Amy (Other Amy)
"The Courtyard" is almost good, and definitely better than Neonomicon. Neonomicon, in turn, is much better than Providence. I could almost call it a worthwhile read. Unfortunately, there's a kind of uncanny valley with men writing women, where instead of a badass woman, you get what a man thinks a badass woman would be, if women could be badass. That's what you get here. Enjoy the on-screen rape of the nymphomaniac, I guess. Excuse me while I quietly file Alan Moore in the 'overrated' section.
♠ Eze ♠
Jan 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Demasiado bizarro para mi gusto, pero de todas maneras lo lei todo.

Esperaba mas del señor Moore. Fue bastante simple y grotesco.
Erik Erickson
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, fiction
It pains me to say this but this book is not very good. I love Lovecraft, and most of Alan Moore's work, but this is mediocre at best, childish and revolting at its worst.

It's got some overall ideas that are clever, but once the FBI agent is shot, everything becomes way too silly. The way the female agent acted and talked during the horrifying acts she was subjected to was goofy enough to take me totally out of it. Being a sex addict does not suffice to explain that kind of a reaction.

Unfortuna
Titas (I read in bed)
Warning 1: Read this with an empty stomach.
Warning 2: Burn it after reading before anybody sees this at your house.
Warning 3: Do not read this before going to sleep. Even if you don't get nightmares, you will stay wake for quite some time.
Warning 4: If you get disgusted within the first two chapters, do not proceed for your own good.

Alan Moore's take on H. P. Lovecraft's horrors. Let that sentence simmer down first. Done?
Neonomicon = drug + FBI + sex + supernatural elements + cults + sex + mons
Erin the Avid Reader ⚜BFF's with the Cheshire Cat⚜
PROS:
-Moore adds interesting symbolism to the Cthulhu Mythos. He takes some of the literal aspects that Lovecraft gave us and made it more metaphorical.

-The artwork is nicely detailed.

CONS:
-A woman gets raped and sexually assaulted by a fish monster and some cultists for many weeks and it magically solves all her problems.

-Was pretty immature and possessed a lurid fascination with freakish sex.

This book wasn't really my cup of tea.
Kirsty Cabot
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Edit: taken down a star to 2 stars. On reflection, it's just too rapey to be good. I liked all the stuff that wasn't rapey or crazily sexually deviant.

Not really sure how to rate this. It was seriously fucked up. Like. Probably one of the most fucked up stories I've read. Complete with pictures. But the artwork was good.
Carti+Alina
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
David Brian
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
*WARNING* This review contains a significant spoiler. I have posted a heads up at the appropriate moment, so it is possible to skip the section I’ve marked. However, it is difficult to offer a considered opinion on this book without covering this specific issue.

Alan Moore’s Neonomicon is a follow up to his earlier work, The Courtyard, which is included in this trade edition. The earlier story focuses on Agent Sax, and follows his investigation into a series of horrific murders connected to the n
Michel Weatherall
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Neonomicon is a difficult graphic novel to review.

To begin with, I think the term 'graphic' is more than appropriate here. Although I do not believe in censorship, I do think this particular piece should carry a warning on its cover. This is most definitely NOT for children of even younger (or less mature) adolescents.

The opening few pages carry some pretty graphic and gory artwork. However, this isn't really the questionable material. There is a significantly long orgy screen, which includes h
Stewart Tame
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Alan Moore pays tribute to H.P. Lovecraft. Really, what more do you need to know? Anyone familiar with Moore's work has already stopped reading and is rushing to the nearest bookshop or library to read this themselves. The rest of you would be advised to do likewise. Still reading? Very well ... So the FBI is investigating a series of murders. Although they all show similar characteristics, they were definitely committed by different, unrelated people. The attempts to find a connection lead them ...more
Anthony Vacca
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Reads like a course overview for a college class dedicated to the works of H.P. Lovecraft (an author whose work I increasingly have little interest in ever exploring) stuffed into the trappings of an exploitation-horror flick. Recommended to readers who like their comics bookish with plenty of fishy orgies. Moore's weird sense of humor downplays some of the awfulness of the several rape scenes, but this is definitely not a comic for the easily offended. Not one of Moore's best efforts, but a bre ...more
Bracken
Oct 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
Irredeemably gross and misogynistically rapey. I am officially DONE with Alan Moore.
Ints
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: july-2017
Šis nu bija viens dīvains gabals, pat priekš Mūra.
Tim Pendry
Ah, you want dark ... this is dark. Well within the spirit of the Lovecraftian tradition and an added dash of American FBI TV drama with serial killer characteristics. Alan Moore even gets in a bit of Kenneth Grant on the side.

However, since many of you in America have more of a problem with sex than gory violence, be warned ... this is a work of sexual horror with explicit scenes of truly unpleasant sexual violence.

The scene of reptilian jissum flying through a wide arc as the FBI heroine jerks
La Stamberga dei ...: Neonomicon di Alan Moore 2 17 Jul 30, 2014 04:16AM
  • The Lovecraft Anthology, Volume 1
  • Haunt of Horror: Lovecraft
  • Crossed, Vol. 1
  • Gravel, Volume 1: Bloody Liars (Gravel, #7)
  • Lovecraft
  • The Case of Charles Dexter Ward: A Graphic Novel
  • Northlanders, Vol. 5: Metal and Other Stories
  • Historical Lovecraft
  • Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder, Vol. 1: In the Service of Angels
  • Severed
  • Het onzienbare en andere verhalen
  • The Red Goddess
  • La pourpre et l'or
  • Kabuki, Vol. 6: Scarab, Lost in Translation
  • Graphic Classics, Volume 4: H.P. Lovecraft
  • High Society (Cerebus, #2)
  • Sandman Absolute 1: Sueño (Sandman Edición Deluxe, #1)
  • Nameless Cults: The Complete Cthulhu Mythos Fiction of Robert E. Howard
Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, some of which have been released on CD.

As a comics writer, Moor

Moore's Cthulhu Mythos (6 books)
  • Alan Moore's The Courtyard