Start by marking “Parasyte, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Parasyte, Volume 1

Parasyte, Volume 1

(寄生獣 [Kiseijū] (Parasyte) #1)

SILENT INVASION

Published May 2007 by Del Rey (first published July 20th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Parasyte, Volume 1, please sign up.
Shadowjac The Manga is superior by far, but it is much more violent than the anime, so if gore bothers you should stick with the anime.

Start your review of Parasyte, Volume 1
Raeleen Lemay
Book #5 for BTAT 2017, "read a book with a person on the cover"
Tina Haigler
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
So this had a very interesting premise. Apparently there are too many humans and the population needs to be culled. Normally it's a virus or a natural disaster that wipes people out. In this it's a parasitic alien race that eats the brain of the target species and then turns it's host cannibal. A small pod hatches, enters your body, eats your brain, matures, takes over your body and eats other humans. Oh and the head can change shape and become anything, including a razor sharp weapon. Cool, ...more
Mir
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a shape-changing alien parasite's worst nightmare! You're supposed to eat a person's head and replace it, taking over their body, but instead you MISS and end up doomed to life as a teen-age boys's hand. Soooo humiliating.
Nnedi
Jun 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was super violent and normally I wouldn't read this kind of thing because of that. However, the story pulled me in. It had moments that made me laugh out loud. There was strange and interesting, yet subtle commentary on global overpopulation (the alien that infested his hand was by far my favorite character. It was cute and violent and terribly logical and bizarre). Oddly thought provoking.

Aside from the violence (which I GUESS you could say served a purpose in the story), my only gripe is
Lisa
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fun but gross and violent manga. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to read the next one!

Emm - On a Hiatus of Uncertain Nature
All about a boy and his alien mutation.
I don't think I've read a book before that actually made the idea of having a sentient being burrowed up inside your arm sound awesome, but I suppose there's a first time for everything.

Parasyte asks what separates humans from what they see as "lesser" life sharing the same Earth. Is mankind indeed the parasite? A sort of self-made malignancy eating up their own planet, that answers their conflicts with other species with extermination of that species?
When
Courtney Wells
This whole series was a win. I read it with Sailormoon back when Tokyo Pop published it and was glad I finally finished it.
Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn)
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn) by: Curiosity killed the cat.

Click here for larger picture.

THE EXCITING BLURB:
SILENT INVASION

They arrive in silence and darkness. They descend from the skies. They have a hunger for human flesh. They are everywhere. They are parasites, alien creatures who must invade - and take control of - a human host to survive. And once they have infected their victims, they can assume any deadly form they choose: monsters with giant teeth, winged demons, creatures with blades for hands. But most have chosen to conceal their lethal
Jack Stark
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, bizarro
Sometimes manga is ridiculous and fun, sometimes it’s ridiculous and tries too hard to be shocking and quirky. This is the latter.
Romane
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, favorites
This is my review for the whole manga series.

Parasyte (Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu) was recommended to me by my younger sister who likes to read manga a lot, so she really knows what's good or otherwise when it comes to this kind of matter. I have to say that THIS IS ONE HECK OF AN AMAZING MANGA!

The level of gore in this manga knows no bounds, so if you're squeamish I wouldn't encourage you to read this. I really appreciated the art and the way of killings.

Shinichi Izumi, the protagonist, is
Nərmin
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Horror and alien invasion fans
First review
Oh it was bloody. Real bloody...
I liked the premise, liked the main character, liked Migi-the parasyte who fails to invade Shinji's brain and gets the right hand instead. Hope the art gets better as I have seen the anime and anime art was whole better than manga. Manga art seemed a bit oldie.))
Still let's see what happens. I am already interested if the humanity will be able to coexist with parasites.
PS: I liked the humor.
Final review

Wow, it is as good as Tokyo
Quentin Wallace
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This was okay, and I realize I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but it was a little too weird for me. I realize most horror manga tends to fall on the weird side, but the last few I've read have been even weirder than expected.

"Parasytes" fall to earth and infect humans, possessing their heads and turning them into something out of John Carpenter's The Thing. But one of them doesn't possess the head and instead possesses a teenage boys hand. So the hand starts talking to him and
Michael mister.is.me
Fun, Unique twist

This is a fun, clever twist on familiar sci-fi tropes. Great artwork which was devoured quickly, can't wait for next volume.
zoe💌
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first manga and I didn’t think it would be my thing but my friend made me try it and it was actually really good and I plan to continue the series
Crispitina30
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Spanish/English

¡Un genial comienzo! Muy entretenido y rápido de leer, con una trama de horror/misterio/gore muy interesante que contiene un pequeño patrón que se repite a lo largo del tomo, pero que de algún modo condiciona al argumento general. Migi es muy original como personaje, y Shinichi me ha parecido un chico muy tierno <3 Veamos a ver cómo sigue.

-----------------------------------

¡A great beginning! Entertaining and fast reading, with an interesting horror/mystery/gore plot that
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Parasite is my second venture into the world of manga and am loving it.
This is definitely NOT for younger reader. It is full of violence, very gory and just plain weird.
Alien parasites have arrived on earth and are using humans as hosts, and they are feeding on other humans.
The artwork is pretty simple, black and white but very effective. The story moves along nicely and is definitely interesting enough to pick up Vol. 2.
Mesho &#x1f47e;
This was amazing where was I ...more
Courtney
Overall, this was a good story. It starts with a 'rain' of parasites upon Earth, from origins unknown. These parasites have one mission: to take over the minds & bodies of humans and, once that is complete, to then decimate the human population. As we soon see, however, despite their 'sneak attack' in the night, not all of them were successful.
The story follows one 'failure' parasite (later named Migi [Right]) who instead takes over the right hand of a teenage boy in Japan, Izumi Shinichi,
Peacegal
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one entirely too much! The "Parasyte" of the title is a type of alien that infects human brains, turning the hosts into cannibals. "Migi" is one such creature that attacks his host--Shinichi, a teenage boy--through the hand rather than the brain. What's left is a regular teenage boy whose hand has a mind of its own.

There are more than a few shades of the delightfully cheesy "Evil Dead" movie series here. The posessed human hand, obviously. In addition, the parasites enable their
hweatherfield
Parasyte was one of the very first manga I read back when I was in middle school. I've always been a fan of horror, science fiction, and manga, so this was something that I immediately enjoyed. Parasyte has easily become one of my all time favorite series.

I really enjoy Iwaaki's art style with its heavy inking and fluid action scenes. There's just something so refreshing and traditional about 80s and 90s manga/anime that I don't really see a lot of with newer series. Maybe its that the styles
Titas (I read in bed)
Sep 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, manga
Return of the silent horrors
What if an alien invasion starts with parasites taking over human body? (Wait what? Is this 1940s again?) Little worm/snake like parasites take over human heads and start to control them. Then they eat others and become shape shifters (yes it is that much cliché). But a boy accidentally gets it in his right hand instead of his head and as the parasite fails to take control of his brain, they settle to a contract to co-exist. Now they must fight other cannibal
Jason
Once you go Japanese horror, you can never go back...This is some crazy weird stuff, but I LOVE it. These alien worm-like creatures are meant to take over human brains, but due to one teenage boy's quick thinking, the worm that attacks him matures in his arm. So now he has a sentient alien living in his arm that can make his hand change shapes and essentially lives and thinks independently of the boy. Of course there are other parasites alive in the city, and when they see one of their own (they ...more
glitch ✧
Very thought-provoking and interesting. I really enjoyed this and I recommend it to anyone that's interested.
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Parasyte. I've seen the anime and the live action films so know the story already. Nonetheless I was looking forward to reading the manga, where the story first started. And I wasn't disappointed.

There is so much packed into this first volume. When I was chatting about it to my boyfriend he couldn't believe how far along the story had gone already.

There are some differences between this and the live action and anime, but that's fine, they're good differences.

I like stories that challenge
Rick Brose
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having seen the related anime for this series, I had high hopes going into the manga. It met my expectations. The story is weird and gruesome. The writing and artwork are coherent. There is zero fan service. The premise is good, and even raises some poignant questions about humanity and our role on Earth. I love how this addition gave some insight into the translation choices too. I am looking forward to volume two.
Cameron Howell
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
A horror/comedy manga that does not disappoint. The humor in the first volume is amazing, the art is done very well with some truly creepy looking images, and a story themed around the morality of humans that I think I'll continue to thoroughly enjoy. I can't believe it took me so long to start reading this.
Darnell
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-manhwa
This was solid. I wish it had explored more of the psychological differences between humans and parasites, or given answers as to what exactly the parasites are, but it did what it intended to do and was interesting in the process.
Cristina | Books, less beer & a baby Gaspar
Awesome manga!!! Horror, sci-fi and human nature :)
A Journey to Books
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love this and I love Migi!
Yu
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This manga is complex but very interesting to me. I think this author is very clever. I have watched kiseiju's movie and I felt difference. It is interesting to me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Around the Year i...: Parasyte 1, by Hitoshi Iwaaki 2 15 Mar 09, 2016 11:51PM

• Tokyo Ghoul, tome 1 (Tokyo Ghoul, #1)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 1 (Attack on Titan, #1)
  • 鬼滅の刃 1 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 1] (Kimetsu no Yaiba, #1)
  • Naruto, Vol. 01: Uzumaki Naruto (Naruto, #1)
  • Ajin: Demi-Human, Vol. 1 (Ajin: Demi-Human, #1)
  • Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1)
  • Blue exorcist, Tome 4
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 1 [Boku No Hero Academia 1] (My Hero Academia, #1)
  • Ajin: Demi-Human, Vol. 3 (Ajin: Demi-Human, #3)
  • 進撃の巨人 10 [Shingeki no Kyojin 10] (Attack on Titan, #10)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)
  • Bleach, Volume 02
  • Dragon Head, Volume 1 (Dragon Head, #1)
  • ワンパンマン 1 [Wanpanman 1] (Onepunch-Man, #1)
  • Gyo, Vol. 1
  • Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1  (Blue Exorcist, #1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 10
  • 約束のネバーランド 1 [Yakusoku no Neverland 1]
Hitoshi Iwaaki (Japanese: 岩明 均 Hepburn: Iwaaki Hitoshi?, born July 28, 1960) is a Japanese manga artist, whose works include the science-fiction/horror series Parasyte. The Mixx editions of Parasyte romanize his name as "Hitosi Iwaaki", while the Del Rey Manga editions use "Hitoshi Iwaaki".

In 1993, he received the Kodansha Manga Award for Parasyte. He was a finalist for the 2005 Tezuka Osamu

寄生獣 [Kiseijū] (Parasyte) (10 books)
  • Parasyte, Volume 2
  • Parasyte, Volume 7
  • Parasyte, Volume 8
  • Parasyte, Volume 9
  • Parasyte, Volume 10
“There is no such thing as compassion or love. All behavior that appears to stem from love is, in fact, merely behavior to better the transmission of an individual's DNA.

From a pig's perspective, humans are merely monsters who feed upon them. See, it is the human species who are making grandiose statements like, "All life on Earth must coexist.”
4 likes