Start by marking “Taboo (The Unfinished Song, #2)” as Want to Read:
Taboo (The Unfinished Song, #2)

Taboo (The Unfinished Song #2)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  497 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
A DEVASTATING SETBACK
Enemy tribesmen attacked during the Initiation. Dindi used the magic of the corn cob doll to protect herself and others but at a terrible price. Now her dreams are in shambles. In despair, she decides to step into the forbidden faery ring, and dance herself to death with the fae. Then she discovers another choice that saves her life…but breaks the ulti
Published March 25th 2011 by Misque Press

To ask other readers questions about Taboo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taboo

Brenda
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
There are some authors that haven't made it big for whatever reason, but are still extremely talented, and Tara Maya is one of them. I'm not sure why a major publisher hasn't picked up her books, but they are really good, and I'm not very easy to please!

Taboo is the second novel in what looks to be quite a long series. The two books I've read so far have been fairly short, but have left me really wanting more. This one didn't end on quite as much of a cliffhanger as the first, but it's definite
Tanya
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got the first of this series for free on Amazon. I quickly read that and was hungry for more so I started on this book (best part of reading an older series is that you don't have to wait for the next book to be released!!)
In this book, we get to continue on a journey with Dindi, Kavio and the rest of the main characters we know from the first book as Kavio tries to bring peace to the tribes.

I have read some of the other reviews and there are things I agree with and things I don't. Yes, I agre
Mervi
Nov 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
The book starts right after the end of the first book, Initiate. Prologue is told from the point-of-view of Gremo, one of the weirdest characters in the first book. He was a minor character there so I wasn’t expecting him to show up again. Then we’re thrown right into the middle of the rest of the familiar cast.

Rthan is an enemy warrior and a magic-user called a Tavaedi. He lost his wife and child in a raid some years back and tried to get his revenge in the first book. However, he was taken cap
Aimeekay
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing

***Big time spoiler alert!*** If you are going to buy the first book, just save yourself a little time and buy the second one at the same time! The first book pretty much ends directly in the middle of the story!!!!***End spoiler alert***(kinda)
K, now that I've got that out of my system...on with the review.
In the first book Unfinished Song: Initiate, Tara Maya deftly introduces her characters. Dindi-the troubled misfit, Kavio-the exiled son of a great leader, Rthan-A war leader bent on revenge
Jessica
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, 2011-reads
OMG this was so much better then the first book but then again in the first book you learn about the characters, the land and basically the setting for everything the start of a good series. You have to read book 1 to understrand book 2 though because there is no back story in the beginning of book 2 it is just a continuation which I loved since I read em one right after the other.

So yeah onto the story it was intense at some parts and the way Tara describes the dance is amazing like I was actu
Sarah Fairbairn
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Considering it was two years ago that I read the first book, Initiate, I was quite pleased at how quickly the characters and the previous story lines came back to me. I actually think I enjoyed Taboo more than the first and I debated whether to give it a four or five star rating. While this book wasn't mind blowing it was still immensely absorbing and I tore through it captivated. It was full of action and adventure, betrayal and revenge, with further back story and character development. I was ...more
Nicki Markus
In many ways I found this second book in the series more enjoyable than the first, perhaps because I already had an idea of the characters and the world they lived in. This book also offered some more information on the nature of Chromas and magic, which I think would have been helpful in the first book.

I still found Dindi and Kavio interesting characters and I like the way they are being slowly brought together. This second book also goes more in depth into the reasons for the conflict between
Kelly
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's been a while since I read book 1 in the series and I have to say that it was very easy to fall back into this world. Dindi's dreams of dancing may have been stripped from her when she failed the Initiation but her need to dance can't be denied. She's a force of nature, that girl. I wish she wasn't keeping all the secrets she's keeping but I can also understand why she feels she can't share them.

Now, with all the backstabbing and triple crossing going on, I figure it's better if all authorit
Soleil
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Taboo is the second book in The Unfinished Song series and I think it’s a step above Initiate (Book 1), which I enjoyed quite a bit. Miss Maya wasted absolutely no time getting into the meat of the story, so it’s imperative that you read book 1 prior to book 2 because Taboo covers only the barest hints of back story. Which is refreshing, actually.

I had a really hard time putting Taboo down. Tara has such a lovely writing voice, it’s so lyrical and poetic. I found myself highlighting line after l
Lindsay Stares
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-on-kindle
I received a free copy of this book in return for a review.

Premise: Sequel to Initiate, this is the continuing story of Dindi the aspiring dancer/shaman and Kavio the young prodigy, outcast from his tribe. The core cast expands some, as does the world.

I liked this volume more than the first by quite a bit. The world became clearer, the structure of the magic became clearer, and best of all, the history that seems so important to the future of these characters was clarified.

Fewer typos, fewer nar
Tifferz
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
First off I love this cover! The story is a continuation of the first book so you need to read that first as the author gives no back story. Taboo is enthralling and the description of the dancing is spectacular. As I was reading it was like watching it in the movies. I could picture everything crystal clear. We are also introduced to some new creatures and a fascinating world of faeries and magic. I love faeries and Magic. We also see the beginning of a romance between Dindi and Kavio. I am enj ...more
Wendy Hines
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's been quite some time since I read the first book in this series, INITIATE. Usually, after a chapter or two though, it all comes rushing back to me and I settle in knowing the backstory. Unfortunately, that didn't happen here. Taboo basically picks up right were Initiate left off, so I had to go back and leaf through Initiate to refresh myself. If you're about to read Taboo, pick up Initiate first - you'll be glad you did!

That said, I have to say that the flow was alot smoother in Taboo. You
Alicia
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
A DEVESTATING SETBACK

Enemy tribesmen attacked the Initiates during the ritual Test to find magic users. Dindi’s dreams are in shambles. In despair, she decides to step into the forbidden faery ring, and dance herself to death with the fae. Then she discovers another choice that saves her life, but breaks the ultimate taboo.

A DESPERATE OUTREACH

After being unfairly exiled from his own people, Kavio may have found a new home, but only if he can protect it from another attack by the enemy. He gather
C.E. Self
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
The characters from book one continued to absorb me in their personal stories. I was pleased to see some of the relationships begin to develop, though I was shocked to see a sudden change in a couple of them.
If you are looking for a book with a richly developed magical fantasy world then look no further. The concept of magic being produced through dancing is a very unique twist over other novels concerning magic. I do feel a little sorry for those not selected into the magical groups since danci
♥ Sarah
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I mentioned in my review of The Initiate, this type of book was just not my thing. I wanted to give it another chance, but it didn't really work out. The romantic connection was just too slow for me, and I couldn’t keep up with the multiple shifts in POV (even though it was all in third person narrative…). The world-building continues to color and inspire the plot. However, I was looking for more. Also, I was extremely disappointed with the way things worked out for Dindi. I was hoping she posse ...more
Karon Beale
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book where you enter a land of mystery and magic ... although do get annoyed when there are petty mistakes that should have been edited out in an otherwise brilliantly written book.

Find it rather annoying the books end on a cliffhanger, as prefer stand alone books. Ending on a cliffhanger is more reminiscent of ploys used for 'B' grade TV shows at the end of season, I would have hoped this author did not fall into this trap.

All being said though, this book is excellent and love th
Suka Babe
Aug 04, 2012 rated it liked it
It was an ok read, the only reason I read this is because I read the first book and it was a cliffhanger. I liked the main character Dindi, she follows the same path she did in the first book and I wanted to see where the author was taking Dindi and if that ass of a teacher would get her what fors. Unfortunately, I was sadly disappointed. I hope Dindi doesn't become a victim because it's looking a little predictable.

Diane Greiner
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful author and book! I can't wait to read the next volume of this series. Tara Maya has created characters in the Unfinished Song that stir strong emotions and scenes that draw you into the plot, wanting even more. Although she has created another world, she has grounded that world into something real that makes it easy to believe the unbelievable. I highly recommend this series to any one who loves the fantasy genre or just a good read!
Jesenia Sanabia
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Book Review: The Unfinished Song Book Two: Taboo
By: Tara Maya

I recommend this book to all who love fantasy adventure books. This book is fun to read due to being very creatively written. The story plot will captivate the reader, meaning you will not want to put the book down till it's done. This book is part of a series that you will want to continue to follow.

Written by: Jesenia Sanabia
Rachel
Jul 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Skimmed/skipped probably 25% of the book to find out what happens with the main Dindi storyline again. Decided I wont buy any more of this series. Its a decent read but the drama gets drug out for so long and I just want to skip to the end to find out what happens. When the series is concluded I'll probably borrow them for free and skim through.
Tammy Donnelly
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have found this to be quite an adventure mystery magic secrets love and epic battles charge the pages of this book I have read book one and went on to two where the adventure still kept me reading I love the strong female roles that seem to be found wrapped in with there counter parts ...full of surprises loved it and will move on to book 3 amazing reading
Emmanuelle
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another great book. This one didn't feel as confusing at the beginning as "Initiate" did but that's because I was familiar with the characters. It was really cool to see all the characters we knew continue interacting with each other and to visit new places in Faearth.
I won't give any spoilers, but I can't wait to know where "Sacrifice" will pick up the story. Keep 'em coming Tara!
vvb
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked the character development in this ensemble cast of humans, fae and shapeshifters. Kavio remains my favorite hero, so far.

This second book in the series also gets a bit more detailed with the history and lore of the different tribes.
Yasmin
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
The endings in these books never disappoint me. There were some parts I would've liked better skipped, because I was really excited, but I guess they were important. I love the book. Thank you dear author.
Danielle Zeiher
Jul 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very nice continuation of the story. As in the first book, I did notice several grammatical errors, but have found this common in ebooks. The story arc didn't progress as far as I hoped, but admittedly has me waiting with bated breath for the next installment of the series.
Carmen
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting series, and definitely worth a read. I liked this book better than the first. If you like Clan of the Cave Bear, you will like this book, only it has a lot of magic and fae in it while the Auel books didn't.
Aoife
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely incredible second installment of a wonderful series.
Linda
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is definitely different from your typical fantasy novel. It's different in a good way. I'm rating it a 3.8, there isn't much I can say I didn't like about this book. I'd recommend it.
Kathy
Jul 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really like this series, but I think it would have been better to release it as one book, since the division into 3 doesn't work that well.
Venise
Oct 21, 2012 rated it liked it
The mystery with Dindi needs some clearing. I like that there are strong healers in this installment.
Free Books, .99 &...: Giveaway: The Unfinished Song 1 23 Oct 25, 2013 12:20PM
Book Giveaways: Giveaway: The Unfinished Song 1 5 Oct 25, 2013 12:19PM
Making Connections: Giveaway: The Unfinished Song 1 6 Oct 25, 2013 12:18PM
  • Claimed (The Flash Gold Chronicles #4)
  • Darkness and Light (War of the Fae, #3)
  • Kissed from Beyond
  • Lord Protector (The Queen's Blade, #6)
  • Blood Ties (A Discovery of Vampires, #3)
  • To Play the Lady (Sevalian Chronicles, #1)
  • Revenge of the Mad Scientist (Airship Adventure Chronicles #1)
  • Endless (King, #4)
  • Ishtar's Blade (Ishtar's Legacy, #1)
  • The Twilight Kingdom (Feyland, #3)
  • My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
  • Traitor (Bridger, #2)
  • The Bone Knife
  • Princess at Sea (Princess, #2)
  • Prince's Fire (Hearts and Thrones, #3)
Tara Maya has lived in Africa, Europe and Asia. She's pounded sorghum with mortar and pestle in a little clay village where the jungle meets the desert, meditated in a Buddhist monastery in the Himalayas and sailed the Volga river to a secret city that was once the heart of the Soviet space program. This first-hand experience, as well as research into the strange and piquant histories of lost civi ...more
More about Tara Maya

The Unfinished Song (5 books)
  • Initiate (The Unfinished Song, #1)
  • Sacrifice (The Unfinished Song, #3)
  • Root (The Unfinished Song Book 4)
  • Wing (The Unfinished Song, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)
  • Circe
    $13.99 $4.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
  • Everyone Knows You Go Home
    $5.99 $1.99
  • (R)evolution (Phoenix Horizon #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99