Start by marking “Jumper: Griffin's Story” as Want to Read:
Jumper: Griffin's Story

Jumper: Griffin's Story (Jumper)

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  3,055 Ratings  ·  192 Reviews
An original novel from Steven Gould, creator of the Jumper series, that tells the back story of Griffin O'Connor, a character created for the film of Jumper.

What if you could jump? Go anywhere in the world in the blink of an eye? What would you do? Where would you go? What if you were only five years old?

Griffin has a secret. It's a secret that he's sworn to his parents t
Published February 5th 2008 by Tor Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Jumper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jumper

Fuzzy Gerdes
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the first two Jumper books by Stephen Gould and so I was a little nervous about the upcoming movie adaptation (as was Gould himself last year). I mean, a bad movie doesn't actually hurt the books, of course, but you don't want something you like dissed by a terrible adaptation. So it was interesting to discover that Gould had gone in an new "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" direction with the latest Jumper book.

The movie, as might be expected, changes some of the 'rules' of tel
Tapestrymlp
Griffin is a jumper, he can teleport from one place to another. It's a handy trick, but also a dangerous one. Griffin's family is in hiding from a mysterious cohort of bad guys intent on killing him.

I picked this book up based off a recommendation on one of the YA book boards. The recommendation should have come with preface - this is NOT a stand-alone book. You see, way back in the 80's Steven Gould published a book called Jumper: A Novel. It was followed several years later by a sequel, Reflex
Joseph Copeli
[This review also appears on FingerFlow.com, a site for review and discussion of creative works.]

Having read the first two Jumper books by Steven Gould, I was interested in seeing if this book would fit into the continuity of the books or the movie adaptation (which departed from the books significantly). Apparently, it's the latter, much to the detriment of the book. It's quite unfortunate actually, that this book and the movie seem to overwrite the events of the first two books with a complete
Eric
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wish I wouldn't have read anything bout this book previously to reading it myself. I know I put up a wall and avoided reading it like the plague. But since Impulse was announced I'm back to being obsessed with the universe and I'll allow a little play in the Jumper universe.

For starters it really is a good back story. (side note, a friend and I just watched the movie again - still terrible - even this book which is in the same vein is loads better. Hopefully they'll do better in 2013 wh
Samie Foster
Jul 10, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Glenn Conley
Jan 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I didn't read the first Jumper book, because I saw the Jumper movie with that talentless hack Hayden Christensen. A friend of mine recommended this book, and I decided it was worth a try. And it was, indeed.

This is the story of Griffin, of course. He's a Jumper. Someone who can teleport anywhere, by just thinking about it. No technological gadget required. Just some natural ability he has.

For some reason, this Jumping ability is seen as a threat to National Security. So, there's this secret orga
Danielle
Read this review and more on my blog.

Jumper: Griffin's Story if meant to reconcile the differences in the book, Jumper, with the movie adaptation. It explains how Griffin became the seemly uncaring person he is portrayed as in the movie.

Griffin doesn't have the best start to life, he first accidentally 'jumps' when he is 5 and his parents have kept him on the run ever since. They home-schooled him, so he is very bright, and does karate.

Griffin has to struggle through his adolescent life without
Don
Aug 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book. I was tempted to turn my back on this since it altered the world of Jumper & Reflex to match the movie, but figured - rightly - that SJG would make it a fun story no matter what. Which he did.

There's a little been of a feel of been-there from Jumper, what with Griffin in this story also making his own little secret getaway spot, but it elaborates on it somewhat. Some interesting tidbits and elaborations are in there that I can only assume people pointed out to SJG after Jumper.

The
Jack
Oct 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, fantasy
An odd extension of the theme of Jumper and Reflex; this one is also about a troubled kid who can teleport and gets into lots of trouble, but it's not set in the same fictional world as the other two. Apparently they've been working to make Jumper into a movie, and made so many changes that Gould decided to write a new novel that fits the movie framework better.
Tallyho
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tallyho by: Jonathon Nichols
Shelves: treasure-hunt
Pleasantly surprised! When I saw it was only 7 hours on audio, I thought it wouldn't have much heft to it. This was well fleshed out, as told from the point of view from a young boy. It's not written like a GRRM book, skipping several years at a time in some points. However, the story is well done, skimming the bits that can't be explained, since the main character just doesn't know the answers. I like the premise, and the characters. The narrator on this, MacLeod Andrews, did an excellent job o ...more
Lindsay
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fast, action filled read and an interesting premise. I have seen the movie, Jumper, which was definitely good! But, this short novel of backstory on Griffin was well worth my time. On to Jumper to see if Gould continues the series with flare.
Sam
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-dystopia
Opravdu pozoruhodný příběh zajímavé postavy z filmového zpracování této série. Stejně si ale myslím, že svět zpracovaný v původní knižní sérii je přece jen lepší.
Al
Feb 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Griffin has a secret. It's a secret that he's sworn to his parents to keep, and never tell. Griffin is a Jumper: a person who can teleport to any place he has ever been.  The first time was when he was five, and his parents crossed an ocean to protect the secret. The most important time was when he was nine. That was the day that the men came to his house and murdered his parents. Griffin knows that the men were looking for him, and he must never let them find him.

Griffin grows up with only tw

Justin
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, fantasy
Great book, love the Jumper series, a few un necessaries, but overall really enjoyed it. The one thing I didn't like is how many people died, usually I'm ok with 1, but this was a little much.
Бранимир Събев
Повечето от вас, предполагам, са гледали едноименния филм с Хейдън Кристенсен, Самюел Джаксън, Майкъл Рукър, Даян Лейн и Кристен Стюарт, чийто постер е на корицата на тази книга. Самата корица е леко подвеждаща, защото вътре не проследяваме историята на Дейвид Райс (изигран от Хейдън), а на човека, който му помагаше и притежаваше същите способности – Грифин О’ Конър (Джейми Бел).
Малкият Грифин притежава уникалната способност да скача, или по-просто казано да се телепортира мигновено на всяка едн
Karlo
Apr 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 286 book was a may not have been one of my favourite books, but it did have a good plot. Griffin O' Conner is a young and very 'special' boy, as he has the ability to transport or jump to any location he desires, as long as he remembers the location from his past experiences. Griffin has had villains chasing him around and trying to kill him ever since his first incident when he transported in a very public place, alarming a lot of people. The villains eventually find out Griffin is living ...more
Kacey
Aug 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, first off; when I started this book, it was under the assumption it was book 3 of the series. When I realize it was in the view of Griffin, a child, I thought maybe it was the offspring of M and D... so when Griffins parents were killed I sat there stunned for a moment, thinking "WTF" because after all those two have been through, that would have been a totally pathetic way to kill them off! So simple! I rationalized the last name difference as a cover up to keep them and their child safe. ...more
Dominic
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jumper: Griffin’s Story

Books like Jumper: Griffin’s Story only come to people a few times in their lives. This book by Steven Gould is a great work of science fiction brought to the public by the good people at Tor Books and published in 2007. This book, though a little old in trends, is a real diamond in the ruff.

The book is based on the book Jumper, but other than the abilities of Griffin and some similarities in the villain there are no relations to its predecessor. In a surprising turn of ev
Nate
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This boook is more of a parralell universe to the original book series. The mechanics of jumping are different, and the first sseries mad eit abundantly clear that Davy was the only/first jumper to exist in his story.

In the original story Davy created a sort of Quantum door between two places and then pulled reality around him. test were done on dave in reflex and is was shown that he released no radiation while jumping. Davy couldn't take anything with him on a jump that he couldn't pick up, o
Mical
Aug 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Jumper: Griffin's Story follows the canon set by the movie 'Jumper', rather than the book the movie was adapted from. That being said, it was a very decent read and I went through the story in a single sitting, staying up late to finish the book when I should have been sleeping.
The author, Steven Gould, does a fair job of introducing and fleshing out the Griffin character in this backstory; leading us through his formative years and detailing the earliest tragedies that led to his guerilla war
John Loyd
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jumper: Griffin's Story (2007) 282 pages by Steven Gould.

I read one chapter Monday night and then read the rest of the book straight through last night. I couldn't put it down. The story starts with Griffin as a nine year old boy in San Diego. He and his father drive out into the desert and Griffin practices his jumping, both with paintball guns. There are rules [for his safety] to never jump when someone is around, never jump to or from the same place, and only if he has permission.

Originally
Willa
Apr 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009
I read the original "Jumper" a long time ago, and only recently discovered that there was a sequel (Reflex), and this book, Griffin's Story, which is the movie tie-in. I didn't see the movie, but I loved Jumper when I read it, so I checked this out of the library. I enjoyed it a lot. I was very drawn in to Griffin's story, and like another reviewer, liked the fact that when characters spoke a different language (albeit briefly), sometimes Griffin translated the words, and sometimes he didn't. I ...more
Ian
Mar 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, suspense
This book is probably best seen as a companion to the Jumper movie, and anyone who found that movie enjoyable will probably find something to enjoy in Griffin's Story.

Griffin's character certainly takes on a much more developed and intricate background than even the movie's main character, David Rice. In fact, that's what really pulled me into the story more than anything else. I get the feeling that Gould was eager to explore the world he was given from the movie and set out to see just exactly
Cathrine Bonham
Sep 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to call Mr. Gould a sell out and be mad at him for changing the rules of Jumping but the sad truth is that this was a really good story. If you loved the Original Jumper then this book fall under the list of: books that you may also like.

This book was written to follow the rules as set forth in the motion picture "Jumper" but it won't make you like the movie any better. Because now not only does the movie screw up Davey's story it also does not provied nerely enough Griffin.

Griffin is y
Paul
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Jumper: Griffin's Story, Gould has made an excellent return to quality, after a distinct drop-off seen in his first Jumper sequel, Reflex. While I found that book poorly done, this one is far better. Perhaps Gould can simply better identify with male characters?

A note at the beginning of this book indicates that it's based in the world of the (rather poor) movie Jumper, not the book. The difference is that in the original Jumper, there were no other teleporters, nor anyone else with special a
J.
Nov 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Solid 3.5

This book was just as entertaining as the first two Jumper books. I like that Steven Gould added to the Jumper universe created by the movie's director, even though I liked Mr. Gould's universe better.

I do get annoyed by some of the bleeding heart liberal themes and I could tell by all the illegals this book was going to hold the course. Also, the heroes and heroins of his stories are always overly pacifist. That "violence is not the answer" crap doesn't work in the real world and it ce
Yuvi Pradhan
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. What was interesting about this book?
This book intrigued me as it shows how a boy has to survive on his own from the age of 9. What really fascinates me is the fact that this boy can teleport himself to anywhere at anytime with just one 'jump'. He is being followed by people, and he is on the run. People often think about how their life would be different if they could teleport, and this story shows just that.

2. What did you like about this book?
I loved how this book had a handful of suspen
Stefanie
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was quite excited to see that Gould had written a book about the early life of the truly interesting character Griffin from the Jumper movie.

Unfortunately it didn't live up to my expectations at all and suffers from the same faults the first Jumper book did: the author is simply unable to write compelling characters, a story arch or master the writing skills necessary for writing with any emotional resonance. Most of the book is robotic telling of things that happen without evoking any feeling
Kevin
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jumper- Griffin's story is a 286 pages long science fiction novel, written by Steven Gould, is based on the movie Jumper, which was released in 2009.
Griffin's parents warned him from a very young age that he was not to "jump" (teleportation power) and he had certain rules that he must follow. They even had to move to a different country due to his "jumping" abilities. Griffin's parents are killed one night and it forces him to be on "the run" as a young man. He is capable of surviving, but also
A.J. Hoover
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
  • Elegy Beach
  • The Long Man (Sci Fi Essential Books)
  • A Taste for Red
  • Shadow in Hawthorn Bay
  • When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth (Overclocked #2)
  • Le cimetière des autobus (Lou!, #3)
  • Offspring (The Silent Empire, #4)
  • Wavesong (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #5)
  • The Day After Tomorrow
  • Runaways: Marvel Age, Vol. 1: The Pride
  • Daughter of Magic (Daimbert, #5)
  • Dead Hunger III: The Chatsworth Chronicles
  • Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
  • The Last of the High Kings (New Policeman, #2)
  • Corridor
  • Liberator (Worldshaker, #2)
  • The Iron Man
  • After the Plague (Humanity Gone, #1)
Steven Charles Gould is an American science fiction author. His novels tend to have protagonists fighting to rid government of corrupt antagonists. The struggle against corruption is the focus, rather than the technology.
More about Steven Gould...

Jumper (4 books)