Start by marking “Slumber (The Fade, #1)” as Want to Read:
Slumber (The Fade, #1)

Slumber

(The Fade #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  6,842 ratings  ·  552 reviews
Molded by a tragic childhood, nineteen-year-old Rogan finds it extremely difficult to trust people. Now Haydyn, her best friend and the one person she does trust, is dying and only Rogan can save her.

Setting off on a journey to retrieve the plant that will cure Haydyn and subsequently the ills that will befall them all if she dies, Rogan is stuck in close quarters with a p
Published May 17th 2011 by Create Space (first published May 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Slumber, please sign up.
Charla From her old website back in 2012: "I also would like to release Sneak Thievery (The Fade #2) by the end of July."
From her new website: "Not any time …more
From her new website: "Not any time soon. For now Slumber is a standalone and will remain a standalone. If I’m struck by inspiration in the future for a sequel, then great! But I cannot say for definite that a sequel will happen."
She posted a sneak peek of the cover art for the possible second book on her old website. You can view it here: http://www.samanthayoungbooks.com/201...

So, I am guessing that it is not going to happen. At least not in the near future. :( (less)
Andrea I didn't think so. It had a couple of bad words but nothing graphic. I really liked it and thought it was a sweet story with s lot of suspense!…moreI didn't think so. It had a couple of bad words but nothing graphic. I really liked it and thought it was a sweet story with s lot of suspense!(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Slumber (The Fade, #1)
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Slumber by Samantha Young has one of the best first lines I’ve ever read:

“When I was a child the world smelled of summer.”

It’s nostalgic. It’s foreboding. If the world still smelled of summer, of bright things, of happy things, there would be no need to remember what life was like when you were young . . .

Rogan comes from a magical people much like the Fae. They removed themselves from the human world millennia ago after creating a new world—Phaedra. Among her pe
Karla

4.5 Stars! Impressive!

Best $1.14 you'll ever spend, kick in another $1.99 for the audiobook and you got yourself one heck of a deal!!

What an engaging, compelling, amazing read! We all know Samantha Young for her brilliant book, On Dublin Street, but I had no idea how talented she really was! Your heart will go through the wringer with this one, and beware, because there are some brutal scenes in this book! But it's all worth it just to read about Wolfe Stovia! RAWRRRR!!

There is a whole host of
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Wolfe Is Hot*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

Re-read: 02.08.2019
I took quite a risk deciding to re-read this one... I was afraid to read it as it's YA, and me and YA does not get along anymore, but I wanted to see if I could still enjoy it as I remember it's quite a mature YA, border lining on NA. Also there's the risk of me not liking it at all considering my re-reads this year has not gone well. But after a re-read On Dublin Street and ended up still enjoying it quite much, I know I was willing to t
MELISSA *Mel Reader*
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
5 Stars!
(ARC provided by author)

-It was as though we were two magnets, inevitably drawn together.

11A54613-9587-4680-958A-ECCB8E6548E0

Rogan grew up a happy farmgirl until tragedy touched her life. Everything she held dear was taken from her nine years ago when she was stolen because of her rare magic. She was placed in a palace as the handmaiden to Hayden, the last member of the royal family. Hayden became her best friend and her only family. She pledged her loyalty to her, so when the Princezna becomes ill Rogan sets out on a
Maggie ☘
1.75/5

The beginning – mainly the prologue – was pretty captivating. Almost fairy tale like, which is what I expected form the rest of the book as well, since it has some element of Sleeping Beaty with the heroin’s friend, the princezna, falling under a sleeping sickness (Somna virus). The general premise was interesting to me, because I love fairy tale retallings and have not yet read any Sleeping Beauty one. Unfortunately, as much as I wanted to love this book, it just wasn’t my cup of tea.

The
Cait
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Some spoilers are in this review. You have now been warned and I will not be responsible for any red-face, shock, and/or heart attacks that may occur if you don't like spoilers.

Slumber is the remake of the classic fairy tale Sleeping Beauty, but with a couple of twists. The heroic "knight" that saves her from her deep sleep and restores her crumbling kingdom-instead of the dashing Prince Charming- is none other than her best friend Rogan.

The book starts off in a way I didn't expect. Instead of
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 Stars

Romantasy (Romance + Fantasy) is a hard thing to balance. You have to have a good enough romance happening that the reader is rooting for the couple but then you have the added difficulty of creating a world that is full of magic and wonder that is interesting as well but not overwhelming. Samantha Young did this well in Slumber.

This story starts off with a tragic beginning as Rogan is ripped from everyone she loves and everything she knows to serve the princess at the palace. Rogan is
Penny
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meh, It's ok. ...more
Hillary Hunt
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fem-fantasy
I thought this book was similar in style to "Graceling" and "Poison Study"; a romantic fantasy which is pretty much my favorite genre. Definitely the best of Samantha Young's work, of which I've read a fair amount.

Things to love: It has a strong female heroine.
The story starts out with an immediate emotional hook that will draw you in.
The male love interest has a believably conflicted relationship with the heroine.
Much of the conflict in the story arises from the protagonist herself as she st
oliviasbooks
Slumber is road trip fantasy fiction set in a parallel world, which some magicians' clans had especially created for their kind in order to evade human persecution in ours.

A few centuries after the world's construction magical talents have become rare among the newborn, but everybody believes that magic is necessary to keep the small world from tumbling into chaos. After the ruler dies, his young daughter Haydyn is the last known person able to excercise nationwide mindcontrol: Her job is to ke
Jamila
Jun 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
There's only SO much stupid one can handle and this book tests the limits >_> ...more
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
So...much...wonderfulness (is that a word?) I love books like this....imagination...adventure...friendship...but mostly looooove.

Girl hates boy because boy's father killed her family. Boy secretly loves girl but acts like he hates her.

I loved Wolfe! Brooding and strong and protective.

I loved Rogan! Strong and independent and selfless.

I love that there wasn't any angst in this book (because story isn't set in high school :)).

I love Samantha Young! I could read anything she writes!
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Might there come a time
When we stand over a grave
And mourn ourselves?
Mourn the past, a previous life?
Shall we weep for the passing of time?
Shall we grieve for unfulfilled dreams?
In my naivety; in my belief
In immortal youth,
I sleep walk through life.
Someone… wake me up.
Please.
Wake me up.
Slumber – Haydyn Dyzvati

Very well my dear. Let’s hope the rest of the book follows this fabulous start.

:pause for effect:

Of course it didn’t follow the accursed start. I couldn’t be this lucky, cou
Heather
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have to admit that I was instantly intrigued by this story because it is based on sleeping beauty, but with a twist, and I absolutely love how Samantha Young wrote it. This story doesn't revolve around "sleeping beauty" Hayden, but rather her best friend Rogan. Because, Hayden cannot be woken up with a simple kiss from her one true love but by an almost nonexistent herb that only Rogan can find.

I have to say that I completely love the heroine in this story, Lady Rogan. She was so self assured
Ezinwanyi Chinyere
I didn't enjoy this one but it was me. If you like Fantasy stories, this is a good one. It was set in a magical Realm Dyzvati with princess Haydyn and her BFF Rogan as the main characters. Haydyn had a disease and Rogan was on the quest to get a plant in order to save the last living princess of Dyzvati.

Rogan as the Handmaiden of Pheadra was a pretty strong character and heroine, but I guess I was expecting some of the On Dublin Street magic. But Rogan was a focused heroine, and so the story was
AJ
Dec 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book was previously released as Slumber in 2011, and has now been re-released with a sexy title and cover upgrade, and (I believe) some updated content. The original book has been on my TBR for years, and this re-release presented me with the perfect opportunity to finally delve into Samantha Young’s fantasy writing and an exciting and dramatic story with action, adventure, magic, and a slow-burning, enemies-to-lovers romance.

The story focusses on 21-year-old Rogan. As a rare ma
Reading with 2 book lovers
Ms Young does it again. I devoured this story and feel like I want more from these characters. Highly recommend
Neyra ♦

I've been waiting to read this story for over a year now. I love this cover, and I know it's been redesigned and I like that one too, I just think this is a better representation of the story. Anyways, as much as I would of liked to give this book a higher rating, my expectations and what I got were completely different. This truly is a good story, and had the author approached it with a stronger female lead, I might have enjoyed it far more than I did.

"Might there come a time whe
Amanda White
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG I loved this! I couldn’t put it down!! The story was so fantastically written. It had action, adventure, magic, romance and amazing friendships.
The premise of the story was unique and interesting, and the world building was incredibly rich and well done.
Rogan was a joy of a character to read and I really enjoyed watching her grow throughout the book. The romance angle was slow burning and the perfect mix to compliment the adventure and magic of the story. Five stars!
Alexandra
THIS is the way to write romantic fantasy.

This story is better than the synopsis sounds. The writing is very good.

Currently $1.14 for Kindle version and $1.99 for the Audible version. WELL worth it.

First off I'll admit Romances typically are not my thing. Now, I don't mind some romance in my stories, if done well, and not too angsty, have a love triangle and or insta-love, but too often I've found in books labeled "Romance" everything but the "romance" seems thrown in as window dressing.

However,
Tandie
I actually started reading this by mistake, thinking I'd opened a different book on my Kindle reader app. I figured it out soon enough, but HAPPY ACCIDENT! Rogan (her name is so wrong! That name belongs to The Scourge of Mexico!) wasn't perfect, kept trying to do things on her own that she wasn't equipped for. Aside from that stubborn streak of stupid, she was alright.

Wolfe was alpha fantastico! Well done, not over cooked in the least. Usually I complain about helpless females, but sheesh! A pa
Nathalie*
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav-authors
I really like this book, it was auctioned packed full of angst lots of love it was great!

I love how she was tough but so sweet, she was extremely spirited and never gave up on her quest, I loved that he knew her and called her on her shit! I loved how great he was he never gave up on her, I liked that he made her feel things when she didn't want to.

I really really love L, I wish there was a bit more about her in the end, she deserved a bit more

The whole story was fantastic ;) I loved it!
Rachel
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Rogan took her responsibilities as best friend and protector of Princezna Haydyn Dyzvati very seriously. So when Haydyn succumbed to the sleeping disease that could only be cured by the somna plant, Rogan was ready to do whatever it took to save her.

Even if that meant journeying to the farthest reaches of Phaedra into hostile territory. And even if that meant traveling with the Captain of the Guard, Vikomt Wolfe Stovia, her longtime adversary and son of the man who murdered her entire family.

Hay
Kathryn
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was consumed with this book.
It captivated me all over again..
I had read this years ago when it was called Slumber and man Samantha Young’s writing blows me away..
I cannot wait to win this gorgeous book in print..
This story is a beautiful tale of a young lady finding out who she truly is... and let’s add that it has a fiery budding romance that keeps you tied to the pages..
One of my all time favorites of Sam’s books!!
 ♥ Rebecca ♥
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of YA fantasy
This book wasnt what I was expecting at all. I didnt realize it was a high fantasy. It is about a Princess' handmaiden that goes on a journey to find a plant to save the Princess from a disease, and falls in the love with the Captain of the Royal Guards that escort her in the process. Its called slumber because the Princess has a sleeping disease, and because Rogan wakes up on the journey, to realize who she really is.

This was a great adventure and an interesting story. And Wolfe was totally swo
Catherine
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this a lot more than I ultimately did. The storyline was interesting, as was the world. However, I absolutely couldn't get behind Rogan as a heroine. She wasn't completely off-putting, but she seemed incredibly dense when it came to Wolfe. I felt like a lot of the bad things happened to her just so we would feel sorry for her, or just so Wolfe could rescue her. On one hand, I was glad that she wasn't superhuman Mary Sue, but on the other hand, I just sighed by the second or thir ...more
Mihlean
[Second reread: August, 2017]
[First read: January, 2015]
Ashley
Apr 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Jena
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
After reading, Smokeless Fire, I found myself completely in love with Samantha's creativeness and beautiful writing. So when when Rachel over at Fiktshun gifted me Slumber, I knew I was in trouble. Firstly, the cover is STUNNING. I started Slumber in the evening and did not go to bed until I finished. It's so imaginative, alluring, exciting, and all-around my perfect type of book.

After being ripped away from her family, Rogan has become the Handmaiden and best friend of the Princezna Haydyn. Whe
Amy Joynes
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Originally at ... http://teenyreader.blogspot.co.uk/

(Plot summary removed)
Good Points: Holey-moley how have I not found this author before. I came across Slumber when browsing on Amazon and thought I'd give it a chance and I'm so glad I did. This book is amazing, it sort of reminded me of a Maria V.Snyder novel which is always good and I just loved the characters and the world Young has created. Rogan's character is outspoken and strong yet she cares deeply for her friends and will do anything
New Adult Book Club: October 2013 - Thoughts on Slumber 4 94 Nov 08, 2013 01:41PM
What's the Name o...: YA retelling of sleeping beauty with a twist... [s] 4 42 Jun 26, 2013 06:11PM
book romance: Slumber by Samantha Young 5 23 Mar 15, 2012 04:17AM

• Bound by Forever (True Immortality, #3)
  • Kiss of Vengeance (True Immortality, #2)
  • War of Hearts (True Immortality, #1)
  • Threshold of Annihilation (The Firebird Chronicles, #3)
  • Fables & Other Lies
  • The Traitor Queen (The Bridge Kingdom, #2)
  • Wrecked Palace (Wrecked, #3)
  • The Turncoat King (The Rising Wave #1)
  • A Deal with the Elf King (Married to Magic, #1)
  • Broken (Blackwater Pack, #1.5)
  • The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1)
  • Beyond the Sea
  • The Office Party (Holiday Homecoming Book 1)
  • Sanctum (Blackwater Pack, #1)
  • Prey (Blackwater Pack #2)
  • Promise of Darkness (Dark Court Rising, #1)
  • Saving Verakko (Clecanian #3)
  • Savage Lands (Savage Lands, #1)
Samantha Young is a New York Times, USA Today and Wall Street Journal bestselling author. She's been nominated for several Goodreads Choice Awards. Samantha writes adult contemporary and paranormal romance, YA urban fantasy and YA contemporary fiction and is currently published in 31 countries.
She resides in Scotland.

The Fade (2 books)
  • Sneak Thievery (The Fade, #2)