Start by marking “The Make” as Want to Read:
The Make

The Make

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  727 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Murder, loyalty and vengeance collide in Jessie Keane’s gritty fourth novel.Life is good for Gracie Doyle - running her Manchester casino keeps her busy. Until the police turn up at her door one day and her world is turned upside down. She is given news that her two estranged brothers have been viciously attacked. George is in hospital on a ventilator and worringly, Harry ...more
Published January 20th 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Make, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Make

Amanda
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic novel by Jessie Keane. I find when I'm reading Jessie's books I'm constantly saying 'Just one more chapter', ...10 chapters later I'm still struggling to put her books down! Great writing and always guaranteed to be highly suspenseful.
Best Crime Books & More
Jessie Keane started off her books with an absolutely brilliant trilogy featuring a character by the name of Annie Bailey. When I finished them I was a little worried about whether her follow on books would create such good characters. Thankfully her following book Jail Bait was a great book too with brilliant plot and characters.

This latest book is of exactly the same making. We meet Gracie Doyle who is far from perfect but is great to read about. There is no hanging around waiting for the plot
Jue
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gripping, heart racing murder mystery novel. Easy to read with the short chapters. A little raw in places, but it would not be a Jessie Keane novel without it.
Lainy
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time taken to read - 3 days

Publisher - Harper

blurb from Goodreads

Murder, loyalty and vengeance collide in Jessie Keane's gritty fourth novel.

Life is good for Gracie Doyle – running her Manchester casino keeps her busy. Until the police turn up at her door one day and her world is turned upside down. She is given news that her two estranged brothers have been viciously attacked. George is in hospital on a ventilator and worringly, Harry is missing.

Gracie has no option but to leave the good life
Bill
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jessie King’s writing is compared with that of Martina Cole, a compliment with which I must agree. Moreover, Jessie seems to cover the same gritty stuff without recourse to the repetitive use of ribald wording that seem to permeate the narrative in Martina’s books.

The content might appeal more to men in particular whose sexuality borders on the bi or homo variety, as I found this aspect a bit overdone for my literary and personal taste,

Youngish straight men could find an apparent attraction in s
Donna
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth book I have read from Jessie Keane and I haven't been disappointed yet. The Make is a dual narrative between Gracie Doyle, A Casino owner in Manchester, and her two estranged brothers who have started to run an escort agency in London. The siblings are soon drawn back together after one of the brothers is brutally attacked and one is kidnapped. the dual narrative makes this thriller a real page turner. I read it in 24 hours. A really, really good read.
Book Addict Shaun
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2012
I didn't enjoy this book as much as the Annie Carter books but it was still a good read. I just didn't care about the characters as much as in the Annie books. I did like the way the story kept jumping back and forth between the characters though. And the way it was left on a cliffhanger, hopefully Jessie will write a sequel one day.
Sarahlyn
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I thought Jessie Keane is a rough diamond in the mine, a rare find. Much as I like to read, the more I read, the more difficult it is for most stories to grip me. And hers do. I'm really upset that my national library here in my country doesn't stock all the books after "The Make", nor do the usual bookstores.
Grace
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books-read
I discovered Jessie Keane by accident. I chose her book, Dirty Game from my local library and have not looked back since. She writes about tough women that are making it in a mans world.

This book did not disappoint and was very different to her other books I have read but just as entertaining.
Kate Hooper
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Jessie Keane gets the balance between raw, gritty detail and character development just right. Her writing is reminiscent as ever of Martine Cole but it takes on its own unique style too. A good read.
Claire-louise Brown
A good book. Mainly predictable with an odd twist at the end. Easy read not a patch on marina cole but still worth a read.
Valerie Smith
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cracking book really enjoyed it, it was hard to put down! The story was brilliant woven around the characters, and I was sorry when I finished it!
Gemma
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always a fan of Jessie keane.
Clare Wakelin
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love jessie keane books and this one is just as good as the others. would recommened
Chris
Apr 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like Martin Cole, you will like Jessie Keane. Easy to read, straight into the storyline, I liked it, good holiday read.
Adele
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put this book down!! Really enjoyed it.
Molly
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
this book grips you from the very beginning to end it will have you on the edge of your seat! its a little uncomfortable in places but its still a fantastic read!
Christine Coultrup
Once you start reading you won't want to put it Down
Mel
Feb 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good
Julie
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best of Jessie Keane books. Very gritty and hard to put down.
Victoria Smith
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book
Diane Sophis
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book. Jessie Keane is my new favorite author!
Ghislaine Grey
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sharp. Fast moving. Gritty.

Any of Martina Cole fans will enjoy this book. Good story line packed with twists & turns. Something for everyone in this read.
Denise
Jul 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did not enjoy this book as much as the others i have read of Jessie Keane .Found this one a bit slow .
Tracey Williams
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read ...
Gem
Apr 24, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got 50 pages in and couldn't read any more. the violence, the hatred, the language just isn't for me I'm afraid. there's enough of it out there without reading stories with it in
Kevin
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow....... Not only true to real life but totally absorbing. Brilliant
Shaz Webster
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading them all in order and this is the best yet. Jessie's writing and storytelling gets better with each book. Deffo a 5 star read from me!
Winter Sophia Rose
Gripping, Captivating & Gritty!
June Jones
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good read, held my attention all the way to the end, would recommend
  • The Schemer
  • The Front
  • The Faithless
  • Dishonour
Now what about me? I’ve done a lot of writing, but way back before I even dreamed I could be a professional writer I was just the youngest in a big family. My Dad was a surveyor with an edge of brilliance. My Mum was from gipsy roots and used to drive around in a goat-cart (yes, really!) when she was little. Once we were rich (although I didn’t know it then, and it was all thanks to my Dad’s ingen ...more
More about Jessie Keane...