Start by marking “Morning Song: Poems for New Parents” as Want to Read:
Morning Song: Poems for New Parents

Morning Song: Poems for New Parents

Poignant, inspiring, and full of wisdom, Morning Song celebrates the joy a new child brings to the life of parents and family. With sources ranging from the Bible, Sappho, and traditional songs to Dickinson, Yeats, Frost, and our outstanding contemporary poets, this beautiful collection summons the cosmic and the comic, the spiritual and the pragmatic, the whimsical and th ...more
Published April 26th 2011 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Morning Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morning Song

Charlotte Dungan
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nice poetry for mothers. As always with a collection there are some that speak to me more than others but the author did a good job of using a variety of sources and honoring the diverse experiences of parents.
Kimber Martin
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I ran into this book at the library and decided to pick it up, mainly because I was searching for happiness in being a mother.

As I read through the poems I began marking each loved one with post-its. By the end, it was filled with post-its and I realized this is a book I need to buy!

It doesn’t only talk about motherhood, but also imagination, life, death, being a child, and the small beautiful things in life. I came away from this book very touched, and I would recommend it to anybody
Ericka Clouther
This collection from various acclaimed poets is amazing. Perfect gift for new and literary parents. Also get them a baby sleep book.
Paige
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
A very nice anthology of poems about being a parent. This would make a good gift for a poetically inclined mom or dad to be, or even a new parent, since the poems are all bite-sized enough to sneak while the baby sleeps or plays for a little intellectual and emotional lift.
Paul
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Morning Song: Poems for New Parents is beautifully birthed and conceived and developed in all of human life and love's experience of pain and pleasure.
Darius Murretti
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Morning Song is a wonderful gathering of poems that, though intended for new parents, is not fixated on crib and stroller but speaks, rather, to “the inner life of mothers and fathers.” The poems chosen are a fresh, abundant harvest of the new and the old, the plain and the lofty, the great and the little known, but all that variety is pervaded by the editors’ devotion to love and life

The birth of a child is an event so extraordinary that parents often lack the words to describe their thoughts a
Alessandra
Jun 25, 2016 rated it liked it
A few gems, some duds. Overall a great meditation on new parenthood.
Kelsey
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This collection of poems is a wonderful gift for new parents but I can't imagine there is a parent at any stage that won't appreciate these carefully chosen words.
Jessie
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this while I'm pumping and kind of makes me love pumping- it's that good!
Isla McKetta
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
On the sweet side and I question the addition of some of the Biblical verses, but there are some real gems in here and I found some new poets I'll be following.
George Witte
A collection of classic and contemporary poems about expecting a child, birth, parenting, and children, and a perfect gift for parents-to-be.
Joy