Start by marking “Following Christ: The Parable of the Divers and More Good News” as Want to Read:
Following Christ: The Parable of the Divers and More Good News

Following Christ: The Parable of the Divers and More Good News

The groundbreaking book Believing Christ by Stephen Robinson has become a standard in understanding what it means to have faith in Jesus Christ and to be justified by faith in Him through the gospel covenant. Now, in Following Christ: The Parable of the Divers and More Good News, Brother Robinson explains what happens after we have entered the gospel covenant. He writes, " ...more
Published May 9th 2004 by Deseret Book Company (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Following Christ, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Following Christ

Stephan van Velzen
So much better than Believing Christ. I loved this book. Very inspiring.
Darrell
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book, Believing Christ, and Crucible of Doubt should all be required reading for members of the church. 😉
Beth
Nov 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book is the companion book to Believing Christ; while Believing deals with passing through the gate (or the first four principles of the gospel: faith, repentance, baptism, and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost), Following discusses staying on the path (enduring to the end).

There’s a lot of good material in here, and I know that a short review can’t share everything I’ve learned — not that it was really anything new, but it was presented in a way that shifted my perspective.

Some thoughts
Jeffrey Howard
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: religion-lds
Reading Believing Christ several years ago was life-changing. It inspired and filled me with hope. It brought about a huge paradigm shift for me.

In contrast, this book did little for me. It is fluffy, laced with quaint parables and anecdotes, but lacking in substance. Situating the topic inside an exploration of historical understandings of the topic and how the understanding of Salvation has evolved within Mormonism over the past 180 years would have been much more enriching.

Much of the rhetor
Lacey
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic. Like C.S. Lewis, Robinson took abstract or complex doctrines and made them simple. His analogies were great. I especially liked his explanation of hypocrisy. That was my favorite part. Hypocrisy is having pretended values that one does not live by. This is very different from having values that one tries to live by but falling short or making mistakes every now and then. Weakness, he says, is not the same thing as hypocrisy. The entire theme of the book was that we are a ...more
Kate
Jun 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
excellent! i really enjoyed how Brother Robinson explained exactly how our covenant relationship with Christ is like a marriage . . . i finally understand that analogy! this book gave me hope . . . and it will give YOU hope too! :)
Malina
Jan 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
I like his straight forward style. No secrets, no fancy words, just basic discussion of the gospel. Addresses faith & works, being saved, and diverse ways Saints are deceived. Inspiring read.
Lisa
Apr 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A life changing book. I loved the parable about the divers!
Christopher Pope
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first half of this book is not very new, interesting, or meaningful to me at this stage in my life. But the latter parts of the book begin to explore really important ideas particularly as it relates to aspects of religious culture that often (especially in my upbringing) impede spiritual growth, progress, and understanding. Some of the things discussed really resonated with me and I’ll likely explore this book again.
Jessica Plowman
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars. I really love his books, however I felt there was more that was harder for me to understand. I didn't love it quite as much as the first book Believing Christ. Still a very good and uplifting read about how charity and love is what the gospel is all about.
Heidi Tucker
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this author and the simple way he helps the reader understand higher principles of the gospel. Recommend!
Jonathan Plowman
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal companion piece to Believing Christ.
Shelly Ray
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this author's no-nonsense approach to following Christ and his gospel. There were some great insights on how to "endure to the end."
Anita
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mormon
A followup to Believing Christ. Pretty good.
Heidi
Mar 06, 2011 rated it liked it
I thought Robinson's book Believing Christ was a masterpiece, and I had high expectations for this book. Maybe my high expectations let me down, or maybe this book just didn't have as much in it as the last one. Following Christ is perfectly fine, mostly non-objectionable, and it does have some good stories. But it's not Believing Christ. There never was a point in this book where I had to put it down and think about it for a while. I found myself nodding at his conclusions, but I never had that ...more
Nathan Glenn
Oct 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. I remember looking at the title and wondering what it could possibly be about. Basically the book describes what is required of us by Christ and what it means to endure to the end. Enduring to the end means staying committed to the gospel and not placing any priority higher than it. He talks of spiritual sadists, who like to tell others that few people will ever go to the celestial kingdom because it is so difficult, and spiritual masochists who hold themselves to a ...more
Matthew Carlson
Jun 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Robinson follows up on _Believing Christ_ with _Following Christ_. This volume tends to concentrate more upon what one does after one comes to the realization of Christ's grace and mercy (defining in LDS terms what is means to "press forward with a steadfastness in Christ" for it is not all said and done once one has "entered in by the gate." [see 2 Nephi 31]).

It addresses religious life within the Latter-day Saint community including some rather odd aspects thereof. For instance, the revelator
Julia
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it
I was told by a few people that this was the sequel to "Believing In Christ" but instead it is a follow-up for lack of better words. "Following Christ" takes a look into what it means for Saints to endure to the end in their walk with Christ, what we can do to be more like Him and why it is better to strive for the Prime Directive instead of following the "rules" of the game.

I can definitely say that I enjoy the writing more so of "Believing Christ" as it was easier to understand and didn't se
Heather
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
This was a FANTASTIC book! Stephen Robinson reminds us of the importance of "enduring to the end," but he starts out by reminding us that if we've repented and been baptized we are already in the kingdom. Many think of enduring and entering God's kingdom as something that will happen later, when we die. Really we are already there with Him and must choose to stay and continue in our covenants. He talks a lot about faith and works. We must have faith in Christ everyday. We must work to follow Him ...more
Bryson
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful book that offers a very enlightening perspective on what it means to truly follow Christ. This book however was not without it's flaws. The portions that contained "the philosophies of men" were very difficilt to read, but I am glad I could manage to see past those faults. For those curious to SOME of those rough spots, here is are my comments I wrote as I got about 70% of the way through the book:

Uggh...not another "asleep" Mormon who thinks the New World Order is a "conspirac
Jake
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's been a while since I read this book but ever since I did it changed the was I see "enduring to the end." It talks about covenants being like a bind or marriage to Christ and enduring would be being faithful to Him. There are many different traps and pitfalls that can stop us from being faithful to Him and this book helps you realize how to stay safe. I really liked the concept of following Christ like loving your wife. Each day you don't ask yourself if you're going to love her and then pro ...more
Summers
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a great boost to my testimony! Very good book for getting right to the heart of the gospel and bringing out the truths perfectly clearly. I love this, "...think of salvation as a process with a beginning in this life and an end in eternity." Sometimes we beat ourselves up because we can't be perfect, but that is not what the Lord expects. He expects us to be humble and faithful and always doing a little better. "Enduring doesn't necessarily mean 'winning' or overcoming'..." It means end ...more
Chelsey
Aug 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Everything has been 5 star lately...just for different reasons. I have been reading this on and off for the past month and a half. The first two chapters were just amazing and the last one was my absolute favorite. I just love Bro. Robinson's writing style. It is like having one of those spiritual conversations with someone that leaves you uplifted. The parable of the Divers is my favorite and I have changed my views on how I judge myself as well as others. Everyone must own this book and read i ...more
Tanya
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion, i-own-it
Stephen Robinson has such a beautiful way of explaining the atonement of Christ. I think every Latter-Day Saint needs to read this book, as it makes the whole faith vs. works controversy so clear, and helps us to understand how the natural man inside of us influences our thinking. This is one of those books that inspires you to be a better person, starting this moment, and helps you understand your covenant relationship with the Savior and treasure it to no end. Honestly, it's like spiritual the ...more
Rebecca
I liked this book even more than the first one, Believing Christ: The Parable of the Bicycle and Other Good News. It has a very simple but powerful message on the question of "what next?" As in, after we already have faith in Christ and have entered into a covenant relationship with him, are we all done, guaranteed salvation? What about the long-argued question of faith or works?
Tommy Kline
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Stephen Robinson is great at laying things out in such a thoughtful yet easy to understand manner. His books have opened up my eyes to what Christ wants and expects of us. By reading Believing Christ and Following Christ I feel that I have felt and come to understand the Saviors love for me and all his children with greater clarity. I'm inspired to pay the love I've felt through my life forward. I would highly recommend this book!
Trish
Apr 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Just finished this book yesterday and am reading it again with Jimmy. I wish every Latter-Day Saint would read and understand what is teaches. My new favorite question to ask honest, doing-their-best members of the church is, "So, do you think you are saved? Do you believe you already have a place in the kingdom?" Most of them will gasp and say, "Of course not!" But they're wrong. Read the book to find out why. Very spiritually liberating for a perfectionist like myself.
Mattaca Warnick
Jan 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Not as poignant as Believing Christ for me, but contains some powerful insights into accepting our place in God's family and the importance of avoiding deception.

Update: Just finished this book, and I had to demote it to three stars because of his self-defeating argument that no one speaks for the church but the church. Uh...then why am I reading this? Also felt more combative than his first book, which was what drew me to it.
Greg
Jun 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
In this sequel to "Believing Christ," Stephen Robinson elegantly explains what happens after we embrace the gospel covenant. His style is simple, yet not dumbed down, and brings to life what we must do to follow (and thereby) worship Christ throughout our lives.As he says, "For those who have been born again, the critical question is not one of getting into the kingdom, but of staying in the kingdom -- of enduring to the end."
Diane
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I can read some books in a day or two--this is not one of those books. It has to be read in portions in order to think and ponder what has been read. Following Stephen Robinson's first book, "Following Christ", this book explains what happens after we have entered the gospel and about staying in the covenant. He talks about the relationship between faith and works and what it means to endure to the end.
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon
  • Truth Restored
  • Gospel Principles
  • Spencer W. Kimball, Twelfth President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • Drawing on the Powers of Heaven
  • The Holy Secret
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • No One Can Take Your Place
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • Articles of Faith (Missionary Reference Library)
Stephen E. Robinson has taught at Brigham Young University since 1986. He received a B.A. from Brigham Young University in 1971 in English Literature and a PhD from Duke University in 1978 in Biblical Studies. He and his wife, Janet, have six children.