Start by marking “Slightly Sinful (Bedwyn Saga, #5)” as Want to Read:
Slightly Sinful (Bedwyn Saga, #5)

Slightly Sinful

(Bedwyn Saga #5)

When the four lady residents of a brothel in Brussels lose their life savings to a confidence man, their friend Rachel York, who introduced him to them, feels responsible even though all her money has been stolen too. She vows to help them recover their savings, but in order to do that she needs to get her hands on the jewels she will inherit at the age of twenty-five. And ...more
Published April 27th 2004 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about Slightly Sinful, please sign up.
Jack Vasen Interesting how opinions differ. For me, this was the most delightful of the series and had the fewest tedious moments. It lacked what I thought in…moreInteresting how opinions differ. For me, this was the most delightful of the series and had the fewest tedious moments. It lacked what I thought in the other books was overdone repetition. This was one of the most page-turning books I have read in ages.(less)

Start your review of Slightly Sinful (Bedwyn Saga, #5)
Dina
May 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Okay, let's get it out in the open: the premise of this book didn't sound very appealing to me at first. I mean, there's amnesia, deception, and another fake marriage - the fourth fake marriage/bethrotal in the Slightly series, and the fifth if you add A Summer to Remember, which is a prequel to the series. It should have been too much to take, right? Wrong! Somehow Ms. Balogh made it all work by making me fall in love with the H/h, and the rest is history...

The events in Slightly Sinful and
Al George
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 02-audio, 02-library
If I get shot or fall from my horse, please deliver me to the nearest brothel.

brothel

Not that I plan on any of those things, but one must plan.

Series: Yup

Sexy times: Couple of times. All beautifully handled and nothing too scary. Although there was one devirgining that didn't exactly go as planned.

Plan on reading more by the author: Gotta finish the series, don't I?

Synopsis: Alleyne is high on his horse hurrying back to base command to deliver a letter and get to his sister who sits waiting for him
Sophia
After the events in the last book that left me dying to know what came of Alleyne, I dove in and put my fears to rest. He's a Bedwyn. Even an epic battle couldn't end him. Though, in all seriousness, it was war and a stray bullet did nearly end him save a generous, determined woman and a broken soldier saving Alleyne's life. This was my favorite entry in the series since Aidan's story in book one.

Slightly Sinful is the fifth in the Bedwyn saga and would work fine standalone if necessary. That
Jacob Proffitt
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, steamy
I had low expectations for this book because I haven't really much liked Alleyne. He's aloof, cynical, and just a tad out of his depth. Maybe my expectations were simply low, but this book blew them out of the water and I am so happy. The amnesia thing is such a cliché that I was a bit surprised to see Balogh using it. She's better than that, I thought. Fortunately, she really is better than that and used that cliché to pull off a really interesting character arc.

I have no idea what real amnesia
notyourmonkey
Oh, Mary Balogh - always with the really good stuff, be it excellent use of cliches or exploration of interesting themes within the context of historical romance, but always undermined by some really dodgy stuff.

Yes, yes, this is dress-up-doll historical romance - they've all got their teeth, the women are always surprisingly independent - but you don't get to handwave away the things you don't like (bad dental hygiene, extremely limited spheres of influence for the vast majority of women, the
Cheryl
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Throughout the Bedwyn Saga Alleyne Bedwyn has been one of my favorite characters. He is a jolly fellow, quick to laugh and even quicker to help his siblings out with the most recent scrap they've gotten themselves into. In his own book he is no different, despite the fact that he is suffering from amnesia and has no idea who he is.

I had moments when I liked the heroine, Rachel, and other times when she annoyed me. But overall I thought she was a good match for Alleyne.

This book had an
Wealhtheow
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical, regency
In Slightly Tempted, the aristocratic Bedwyn family is rocked by news of Lord Alleyne Bedwyn's death at Waterloo. While searching the battle's casualties for saleables, Rachel York (a well-born woman left penniless by her father's gambling&drinking) comes across Alleyne's body, already stripped by other scavengers. But he is not dead, just gravely injured. Rachel carts his limp body back to the brothel where her old nurse works, and she and the whores nurse him back to health. But Alleyne, ...more
Jan
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Added comments April 3rd 2018:
(Some minor spoilers ahead). I didn't enjoy this as much this second time around, and have reduced my rating, down to 2.5 - 3 stars instead of my original 3.5 stars. As I did on the first read, I found the storyline pretty far-fetched, but in fact this time it seemed pretty ridiculous. I didn't mind the over-arching concept of Alleyne's amnesia and his falling in love with Rachel. Those aspects of the story were done well and were quite believable, even though
Ursula
What to say about this audio-book? Of course, the story was nicely read by Rosalyn Landor. Her different voices and accents for the women were particularly good.
I just didn't love the story.

For example, the constant reference to whores (with hearts of gold, who actually LOVED their profession enough to lust after men and even do it for free- yeah, right, in which universe?) bothered me, and it was a case of protesting too much about how the MC's didn't care that the women were
Juliana Philippa
Great, great read - Rachel and Alleyne are wonderful, and the secondary characters extremely colorful

SUMMARY (Bedwyn Family, Book 5):
Slightly Sinful overlaps significantly (chronologically speaking) with the previous book in the Bedwyn series, Slightly Tempted (Morgan and Gervase's story). Lord Alleyne Bedwyn (26), working as a British diplomat in Brussels, is sent to deliver a letter to the Duke of Wellington during the Battle of Waterloo. He receives a reply letter to deliver and heads back to
Shannon
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've loved the whole Bedwyn family! Not my favorite in the series, but well worth the read. Overall I enjoyed it. The ending was my favorite.

The premise of the story with an amnesiac Hero saved by a virtuous woman who is now living in a brothel was scandalously funny, entertaining, and a fun wild ride. I laughed and even teared up a little in the end. I liked the way this story paralleled book #4 so that we really were able to see what happened to the missing Alleyne Bedwyn. One of my favorite
Missy
The plot and writing is good. I don't think I enjoy slow-burn romances very much. Oh, but what a beautiful family reunion. *sniffles* . Three books down, three more to go! Maybe I'll read Morgan's book next since it's in the same time frame.
Aly is so frigging bored
2nd read September 2015
Saly
Christa Schönmann Abbühl
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
3.5 stars.

I'm enjoying this series but just not quite enough to make the full 4 stars.
Renae
Well, it was bound to happen at some point. Mary Balogh has finally let me down. Slightly Sinful was just too silly for me. There's an amnesia plot and a troop of whores out for revenge and just...ach. What I tend to love most about this author is how down-to-earth and honest her narratives are. This book, however, was more like a silly romcom than a realistic look at what it takes to make a relationship work. And that's fine, just not the content I'm here for.
Lady Wesley
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-faves, listened
Rosalyn Landor's audio version of this Mary Balogh classic really tickled my funnybone. In Brussels, right before Waterloo, the heroine innocently gets mixed up with four jolly prostitutes, and they take in a wounded Alleyne Bedwyn, who has lost his memory. Also a crusty sergeant who has lost an eye and been dismissed from the army. The seven of them set out for England -- the ladies in pursuit of a charlatan posing as a minister who has stolen their life savings, Alleyne hoping to find somebody ...more
Ana
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars

It turns out I haven't actually read this book the first time I read the Bedwyn series. Not sure why, but it happened.

In any case, this is the story of Alleyne (the brother who was presumed dead at Waterloo) and Rachel.

It's a fun story. I liked how the entire amnesia plot was handled. I LOVED the side characters who are both colorful and very real.

And that reunion at the end was so, so perfect.

I had some slight issues with Rachel and Alleyne's reasoning in the last third of the book or
T
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Implausible story with ladies in a brothel, amnesia, thieves/swindlers, ex brothel-workers in English manor estates...
The love story was sweet but the rest was almost a farce. Oh and the ending - simply beautiful!
Teresa
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Each book in this series, I go into less excited for it not being Wulfic's. Most, though, pull me in almost immediately and I grow to love it (and, admittedly, all of the Wulfric sightings in the background). This one was a chore though, which is sad because I do love Allyene as well. I knew a bit of what I was getting into based on the setup of the previous book, but so much of the early part was cartoonish and different in tone from previous books. It was hard to ever be fully invested. It ...more
herdys
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it
3,5 stars! Definitely better than Morgan's book. I loved the four ladies and even without memory, our charming hero. The reunion with his family was Lovely too!
Alison
Lord Alleyne Bedwyn is carrying a letter from the Duke of Wellington at the battle of Waterloo when he is shot in the leg, despite trying to continue his journey he becomes weak from loss of blood and falls off his horse, hitting his head on a tree stump.

Alleyne is found by Miss Rachel York, an orphan fallen on hard times who is currently sharing a house in Brussels with a group of prostitutes, including her former nurse. Rachel and the other women have lost all their money to a confidence
Lorna
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Story 4 stars Narration 5 stars. Great series and an amazing narrator. Wonderful characters are the hallmark of this author. Recommended to adult historical romance readers and if you can, try and listen. Roslyn Landor is just the best at narrating historical British romances. She’s a definite selling point when I pick out a listen. Now available on Audible Escape.
Rebecca
Even though I liked Alleyne, it was difficult to be fully invested in this installment. All the other Bedwyns were absent throughout, and this family has played such a vital role in each storyline thus far. It just wasn't the same without them.

I feel like the wait for Wulf's book has been the worst torture, and I can't wait to finally have his story.
Sara
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Sonia189
Not as engaging as the others, simply because too much was happening away from the other members of the family...
Natalie
Oct 17, 2016 rated it liked it
This was fun. It was rompy and cute and I loved the side characters but I won't lie and say this was all just filler to get to Wulf's book for me. So sorry. Loved the island scene with Rachel and Alleyne and the horseriding stuff though.
Samantha
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Like all of Mary Balogh's books, Slightly Sinful is charming, idyllic, and an escapist, romantic read. So if you enjoy the Bedwyn Saga, you definitely have to read it. That said, it wasn't my favorite of the series, and it took me awhile to get through this one. During parts I found it boring, and it was missing some of the spark of her better installments.

Slightly Sinful, the fourth installment, takes place parallel to the events of the third book, Slightly Tempted. While Morgan and Gervase are
KimberlyRose
Never tried a historical het romance ? Looking for direction? I whole-heartedly, hands clasped together before my chest, eyes all a-starry, direct you to the Welsh-Canadian Balogh.

I hate amnesia stories. This is an amnesia story. I love it. That's masterful writing, kids. Alleyne's struggle is realistic, not used as a trope, a contrived plot device. The amnesia isn't the story, but it begins the story. The plot is complicated, engaging, and believable.

I hate stories with many central

• It's in His Kiss (Bridgertons, #7)
  • To Sir Phillip, With Love (Bridgertons, #5)
  • How to Marry a Marquis (Agents of the Crown, #2)
  • On the Way to the Wedding (Bridgertons, #8)
  • The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #4)
  • An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)
  • The Other Miss Bridgerton (Rokesbys, #3)
  • What Happens in London (Bevelstoke, #2)
  • A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #2)
  • Sweetest Scoundrel (Maiden Lane, #9)
  • Lady Louisa's Christmas Knight (The Duke's Daughters, #3; Windham, #6)
  • Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #4)
  • When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6)
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • The Serpent Prince (Princes Trilogy, #3)
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)
  • Seduce Me at Sunrise (The Hathaways, #2)
  • The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband (Rokesbys, #2)
Mary Jenkins was born in 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and ...more

Bedwyn Saga (6 books)
  • Slightly Married (Bedwyn Saga, #1)
  • Slightly Wicked (Bedwyn Saga, #2)
  • Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga, #3)
  • Slightly Tempted (Bedwyn Saga, #4)
  • Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga, #6)
“Where was Bewcastle?
But then he was there, standing on the terrace some distance away, and such was the power of his presence that everyone seemed to sense it an fell back away from Alleyne even as they stopped talking. There was still all sorts of noise, of course - horses, carriage wheels, voices, the water spouting out of the fountain - but it seemed to Alleyne as if complete silence fell.
Bewcastle had already seen him. His gaze was steady and silver-eyed and inscrutable. His hand reached for the gold-handled, jewel-studded quizzing glass he always wore with formal attire and raised it halfway to his eyes in a characteristic gesture. Then he came striding along the terrace with uncharacteristic speed and did not stop coming until he had caught Alleyne up in a tight, wordless embrace that lasted perhaps a whole minute while Alleyne dipped his forehead to his brother's shoulder and felt at last that he was safe.
It was an extraordinary moment. He had been little more than a child when his father died, but Wulfric himself had been only seventeen. Alleyne had never thought of him as a father figure. Indeed, he had often resented the authority his brother wielded over them with such unwavering strictness, and often with apparant impersonality and lack of humor. He had always thought of his eldest brother as aloof, unfeeling, totally self sufficient. A cold fish. And yet it was in Wulfric's arm that he felt his homecoming most acutely. He felt finally and completely and unconditionally loved.
An extraordinary moment indeed.”
14 likes
“If you are never frightened, sir, you would never find out what you was made of and what you was capable of doing. You would never become a better man than what you started out being. P'raps this is what you will discover - what you are made of and what you are capable of. And when you finally do remember who you are, p'raps you will find that you have become a better man than he ever was. P'raps he was a man why never ever grew any more once he reached manhood. P'raps he needed to do something drastic like losing his memory so that he could get his life unstuck.” 5 likes