Start by marking “Magic Mourns (Kate Daniels, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Magic Mourns (Kate Daniels, #3.5)

Magic Mourns

(Kate Daniels #3.5)

Andrea Nash of the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid - with an assist from her friend, Kate Daniels - tries to figure out why the giant three-headed dog who guards the gates of Hades is sniffing around Atlanta.

* Originally published in the anthology, Must Love Hellhounds.
Published May 1st 2011 by Berkley Books (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Magic Mourns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic Mourns

Start your review of Magic Mourns (Kate Daniels, #3.5)
Anne
Oct 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Kate Daniels
Andrea has her own full-length novel (Gunmetal Magic), but this shorty from the Must Love Hellhounds anthology tells how Raphael finally wins her over.
Hyenas aren't exactly what comes to mind when you think of majestic animals, but somehow team Andrews manages to make them seem like cool shifters.

description

The gist is that Andrea and Raphael have to work together to take down a villain with nothing left to lose, rescue Raphael's step-father's shade and a little boy, fight a few vampires, and get rid of s
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
The Grand IAA™ KD Buddy Rerererereread Extravaganza (GIAAKDBRE™), aka the yellow brick road to Magic Triumphs

Presenting Episode 3.5, or How Andrea Nash Learned Cat Corpses Make smelly Lovely Fashion Accessories. Sometimes.

» And the moral of this rereread is: hey, all you Andrea haters out there! Die, die, die Are you sure you read this novella before erroneously deciding you couldn't stand warm up to my mostest favoritest beatskin ever? Because if you did, that can only mean two thin
Evgeny
Sep 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, and Asya.

Kate Daniels still recuperates from injuries she sustained during the last book and so nothing really exciting happens to her (almost nothing, but I am not going to spoil it). Enter Andrea Nash - her friend and a colleague from the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid. Where Kate is good with her sword Andrea is an expert at anything that shoots, including some really heavy weaponry. The story is told from her POV.

So Andrea was sitting in her office minding
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Between 3 and 3.5 stars. This novella, one of the interim stories in the Kate Daniels series, is told from the POV of Andrea, Kate’s best friend. Andrea finds out about a monstrous three-headed dog and sets off to take care of the problem. She finds a lot more than she expected, including vampires, a shade (ghost) of a dead man, and Raphael, the werehyena who’s been pursuing her romantically.

This novella doesn’t really stand on its own and the mystery has several weak points if you think much ab
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
4 Andrea+Raphael Stars

“Would you say the shapeshifter was in distress?”
“Hell yeah, he was in distress. His tail was on fire.”
“He ran like his tail was on fire?”
“No, his tail was on fire. Like a big, furry candle on his ass.”

In this novella the main protagonist isn't our beloved Kate Daniels since she is home recuperating after being impaled by sword in the Midnigh Games, but her best friend, Knight of the Order of Merciful Aid and beastkin werehyena, Andrea Nash. Andrea is less impulsive an
Adina
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
How Andrea and Rafael got together.
Sophia Triad
A giant three headed dog as big as a house and burning spit is chasing Raphael. Andrea is running to rescue him. Apparently someone has stolen a precious dead body and Raphael is following the smell. That does not stop him to take the opportunity to pursuit Andrea at the same time.

It is cool to be a hyena!

That is what I really love in these books! Usually hyenas in shifters’ books are either mean, or stupid or the enemy. In Kate Daniel’s world are playful and lovable.
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 Boudalishious Stars Re-read before the release of Magic Breaks

Magic Mourns is set in the middle of the six week waiting period after the final showdown of Magic Strikes and Kate is off recuperating. Andrea is trying to fill in for her, but Kate’s shoes are hard to fill. Raphael needs a little help with a certain situation involving a dead body, a three headed dog and the gates of the underworld.

photo Cerberus_zps8b664e89.jpg

I stared at the phone.
“Forgot the number?” Raphael asked.
“No. Thinking of how to phrase this.
Angela
2016 June Re-read: I love this world. I love the different mythologies that show up and become featured. I love the characters. And I'll be honest, I like the idea of Andrea and Raphael a lot here, initially. They have a bit of a rough patch (to put it mildly) later on, which kind of sours things for me a bit. Hopefully I can get over that a bit on this re-read.

2014 August Review:
Well, damn.

How many of these did I skip reviewing last time?

Okay, here goes. This is just a novella - about Andrea an
1st read - July 2013 - original rating 4 stars
2nd read - June 2015
3rd read - June 2016- increased to 5 stars
4th read - December 2017
5th read - July 2018
6th read - June 2019

Original Review

Magic Mourns is available to purchase as an ebook novella but was also included in the Must Love Hellhounds anthology. The story is set after Magic Strikes while Kate is still recovering from her injuries and taking a break from her duties for the Order of Knights so her friend Andrea is standing in for her. Whe
Maria Dimitrova
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another year, another Kate Daniels re-read.>

The Kate Daniels world has become a sanctuary for me. I can hide in it from the pressure of everyday life and find inspiration to be better and stronger. Andrea is one of the characters that makes a great role model for women at all ages. She's flawed but that only makes her more real and even worthier of admiration because she succeeds despite her flaws. I wish I had her inner strength and her bravery, not only when it comes to life and death situatio
Hollis
I'm loving that, so far, none of my rereads have differed in rating or general enjoyment of them. Even if I didn't love them to begin with, case in point, this novella; while good.. it's mostly just a tease of things to come as well as a chance to get a certain pairing off the ground without taking away from the one pairing we're all dying for.

I am so ready for some apple pie now.
Cyndi
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a novella from Andrea's POV. She is still a knight, still hiding her beastkin-ness, and just starting with Raphael.
All the excitement in Kate's world with a few small Easter eggs that appear later. Such as the apple pies.
We also get a tour through the casino and some new monsters. There is Cerberus and a hydra. Very cool!
The twist at end is especially cool!
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
I had a feeling I liked Andrea and now it's confirmed. She is hard and soft at the same time. And what's sexier than a drop-dead gorgeous, genuine Casanova changing his lifestyle after meeting The Woman? This book toys with women's desire to be The One to change the notorious playboy.

description

Also, it's fast-paced, full of action and mythology. A winning combination if you ask me.
Jo
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
“Could you get any more full of yourself?”
“I’m mostly interested in getting you full of me.”

While Kate is on medical leave, Andrea is taking her cases. And her current one forces her to team up with the very sexy Raphael, who she has been trying to avoid, to solve the mystery of what a giant three-headed dog is doing in Atlanta.

Ever since meeting Raphael, the son of the Alpha Bouda, he has been driving her crazy with his phone calls and his flirting. It takes everything she is not to give

Liz* Fashionably Late

Magic Strikes (#3) ★★★★★ [Amazing]
Magic Mourns (#3.5) ★★★★☆
_____________________________

3.5 Stars

Exciting enough. Andrea had some big shoes to fill, but the story had a little of everything and didn't fail to entertain.

Now, what really intrigues me is this:
(view spoiler)
Armina

3.5 STARS

Giving half a star up because of the very important info at the end and the cute attempts of the audio narrator to make Raphael's voice husky and seductive in the intimate scenes! So funny! More detailed review to come tomorrow.
Cathy
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Re-reading the series with the Ilona Andrews Addicts, before 'Magic Binds' comes out in September 2016. Hadn't planned to re-read all the shorts and novellas as well, but changed my mind. Will try to read parallel to the main series...

*~*~*~*

I read this for the first time in August 2011, as part of the Must Love Hellhounds anthology. It centers around Andrea Nash and is set between Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels #3) and Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels #4).

If I remember correctly, this was the first Ilo
Sam
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ah novellas. I both love and hate you.

I thought a new POV was refreshing. I like Andrea's character. She has a heartbreaking backstory and I love how she feels about guns. Just... I wish she felt less like a mini-Kate. I get she's a Knight so of course she's going to be a badass and to be fair she doesn't know as much about mythology as Kate, but I don't know. Maybe it's hard to go from reading a bunch of Kate Daniels to popping into someone else's head. I feel like from Kate's view, Andrea has
Gavin
Sep 27, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I liked this short story featuring Andrea and Raphael from the Kate Daniels series.

The story was interesting enough with Andrea investigating a call about a shape shifter being attacked by a giant dog. The dog turned out to be a Hell Hound and and the shape shifter to be Raphael. Throw in a master of the dead gone bad and some Greek Gods and there was plenty to keep this interesting.

I really enjoyed the continuation of the romance between Andrea and Raphael which had begun in the ma
Carvanz
Audiobook: Narrator - Johanna Parker

Nice job of narrating. Took me a bit to realize this was a different narrator than the one that does Kate. I thought it was Ms. Raudman casting her voice as Andrea instead of Kate. I enjoyed listening to her and the length of the book had me finished with it in no time at all.

description

I loved this novella about Andrea and Raphael. It was filled with drama, suspense, action, a little bit sexy times, and plenty of shifting goodness. There is nothing lightweight about it
Erica Ravenclaw
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
2018: Loved it. Stands up to the reread!

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No spoilers and colorful language abound!

There are a lot of thing about Andrea that I dislike, a lot of things. However, at the same time I super love her, like, a lot. Even more so, I enjoy her falling for that delicious trouble maker.

There are so many aspects of the Kate Daniels world to love, every detail fully realized and working in harmony with the intricate universe created by Andrews. One that always floats around in the favorites is t
Cathryn
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ok. I normally hate novellas and short stories. I can probably count on one hand how many I have enjoyed. It's me not the novellas/short stories fault. They just feel incomplete to me. So if I enjoy a novella it must get 5 stars. I enjoyed reading from Andrea's POV and getting more insight into her past and how her relationship with Raphael develops. Very interesting about the apples too. Looking forward to her book.
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Raphael is a hilarious hot piece. His recounting of accidentally falling tiredly upon KY covered sheets (used by someone else) was ridiculous. Andrea & Raphael are perfect together. Great addition to the Kate Daniels series. ...more
sooooooomiii
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I finally read Magic Mourns - YAY!

I was up till 3am finishing it because it was just that damn good, and now I feel really really guilty about having not bought it when it first came out in October ‘09. If I was thinking - which I wasn’t - I could have just bought it from, and read it, while I was in the States that year. The reason why I was reluctant to buy the Must Love Hellhounds, which features work from a whole array of authors, is because I am not a big fan of anthologies in general. Usu
AJ
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This novella is a spin off to the Kate Daniels series, and takes place after the events of book 3 - Magic Strikes.

It features Kate’s best friend, Andrea, who is called to investigate the appearance of house-sized, three-headed hell-dog Cerberus, who is running loose just outside the city of Atlanta. But more importantly (for romance fans like me), this book features Andrea’s hook up with hot hyena shifter, Raphael. He’s been chasing her for 6 months, and this is finally it!

Andrea’s mission puts
Ina
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Update: 15/12/2016
Just saw this picture, it instantly reminded me of Magic Mourns and made me laugh. Beware of Cerberus, guys!

Re-read: 01/10/2016

(I don't know who the author of this picture is, but it's simply perfect! Except for the fact Cerberus is missing two heads.)
"The guy only had her for six months out of the year, and he still remained faithful. That must be some sweet sex right there.

-> Greek mythology in one sentence.

Every time I start reading short story from KD u
Just Josie
I will never tire of these characters.

This is the story of Andrea Nash. A Knight of the Order, Beastkin and best friend of Kate Daniels.

This is the beginning of her story, and her dancing back and forth with hot ass Bouda shifter Raphael, who has been relenting in his attempts to get her into his bed.

The story is full with action. With gun-fights, claw-fights and vampires! I am so impressed over the short amount of pages, and yet we get a full on powerful story with hurt, love and pain. It wa
KatieV
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pnr, urban-fantasy
Nice little short story about Andrea and Raphael getting together while solving a case.
Desi
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Painful narration, with grating fake southern accents. Not sure if it is my general apathy towards Andrea or the torture of listening to this one, but this was not a pleasant go for me. Raphael is also mighty pushy and demanding in it, not acknowledging her misgivings.

• Curran POV Collection
  • Prequel to Magic Shifts (Curran POV #10)
  • Hex Appeal
  • An Apple for the Creature
  • Must Love Hellhounds (Guild Hunter #0.6; Kate Daniels #3.5; The Guardians #5.5; Sookie Stackhouse #9.2)
  • Naked Dinner (Curran POV #7)
  • Magic Bites - Fernando's (Curran POV #2)
  • Magic Strikes - Midnight Games (Curran POV #4)
  • Magic Strikes - Hot Tub (Curran POV #5)
  • Magic Burns - Soup (Curran POV #3)
  • Magic Bleeds - Conclave (Curran POV #8)
  • Curran (Curran POV #1-2)
  • Kate's Origin (Curran POV #6)
  • Magic Bleeds - Awake (Curran POV #9)
  • Magic Bites - Unicorn Lane (Curran POV #1)
  • Fathers and Sons (Curran POV #2-2)
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • Night Shift (Kate Daniels, #6.5; SPI Files, # 0.5; Psy-Changeling, #12.5; Barbarian, #1)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade ...more

Kate Daniels (10 books)
  • Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
  • Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9)
  • Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)