Start by marking “The Last Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #1)

The Last Mountain Man (The Last Mountain Man #1)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  814 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
From his Missouri farm, the boy travels west. In his heart is vengeance. In his hand is a Navy Colt. By his side is the old mountain man named Preacher, who'll teach young Smoke Jensen everything he needs to know about fighting like the devil, and--when the time comes--dying like a man. Although his enemies have destroyed everything he's ever loved, they made one mistake.
Published July 1st 2000 by Zebra (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Mountain Man, please sign up.

Alnotatwork Hi Mike. Just checked and "The Last Mountain Man" looks to be available as a downloadable e-audiobook from Ramsey County Library, but not as an…moreHi Mike. Just checked and "The Last Mountain Man" looks to be available as a downloadable e-audiobook from Ramsey County Library, but not as an e-book. Hope that helps. (less)

Shirl
Jun 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Over the past four months I have been reading the Mountain Man series by William W. Johnstone. They are a throwback to the old west and come complete with rugged turrain, outlaws, Indians, and heroes. I enjoyed these books for the simple reason that I feel transported back to a simpler time when right was right, wrong was wrong, and there wasn't nearly so much gray. The reader gets to learn alot about what it was like for the men and women who broke open the territory but especially we get to ch ...more
Wayne Barrett

This book read like an old western dime novel. I think it carried every cheesy cliche imaginable. For some, I suppose this might be entertaining. It certainly is an action packed adventure with plenty of shootem up scenes. I just couldn't take it seriously. If not for a couple of mild sex scenes I would say this was a YA novel. This would have been enjoyable when I was a youngster but nowadays I think I'm much more of a Cormack McCarthy western guy.
Rob Smith
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013
I'm hooked. This rolls off the blocks at a steady speed and then charges to the end...which is more of a beginning as this series is still coming out after this initial book from 1984. Johnstone does an excellent job of portraying the area and time of the mid-west and west in the late 1800s. The characters are well drawn to the point of leaving you wanting more and thus wanting to buy more of the series. I will purchase more and I'm not even a fan of the western genre.

As I read, it struck me how
Joyce
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't usually read books in the western genre but really enjoyed this one. Especially enjoyed the characters Preacher and Smoke Jensen. As a 16 year old boy, Kirby Jensen who will eventually be called Smoke, is taken into the West after his father returns to their Missouri farm at the end of the Civil War. Kirby's father is set upon revenging the death of his older son Luke and goes west on the track of his son's killers. They meet up with an old legendary mountain man named Preacher and Kirby ...more
Christopher Patterson
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you like western books, the Mountain Man series is one of the best ever written. Smoke Jensen is the fastest gun in the west, and the last of a dying breed of men forged from the harshness of the mountains in the American west. Great series, that led to multiple other spin-off series from characters introduced within this series, such as Preacher the First Mountain Man, Matt Jensen the Last Mountain Man and Blood Bond
Ru
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
The first Western novel I may have ever read did not disappoint at all, and was exciting with every turn of the page. I originally wanted to read William W. Johnstone's "A Lone Star Christmas" right around Christmas, but got sidetracked and never got a chance to. It worked out better for me to read the first in the Matt Jensen series, which introduces Smoke Jensen's protege in dramatic fashion, which I assume a Christmas story would not have done as effectively.

This is not the most-unpredictable
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Growing up I read almost everything I could get my hands on. From my church library, I read all the Janette Oke Christian historical fiction titles and all of the Louis L'amour books from my public library. I guess Little House on the Prairie and Caddie Woodlawn (one of my Top Ten books ever) prepared me for a life of reading historical fiction.

On the advice of one of our school's maintenance men, I interlibrary loaned this title. Ron said I would love it, and he was right! It's a quick, easy r
Matthew
Dec 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Definately a book for a specific type of individual. Lots of shoot 'em up action with a heavy dose of the revenge motif. The book seems historically accurate and presents a balanced view of the opening of the west and the tragic fates of the many peoples that populated the pre-contact west. Although the book is Euro-centric the it makes no excuses for the white settlers/soldiers actions towards the natives and each other.
Mike
Nov 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Your typical western book. Gunfights, horses, Indians, and the wild wild west. The book starts rather slow, but builds throughout and finishes with some good action. Overall the storyline and character development is rather weak. Its worth the read, but not a book I'd ever read again.
Timothy Boyd
Very good western series. The story of Smoke Jensen, trained by the last of the mountain men as a boy. If you like men's adventure and westerns then you will enjoy the series. Recommended
Bryan457
Jul 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Smoke Jensen learns to be a mountain man and a gunfighter. He gets revenge on those who have wronged him.

Warning graphic violence and rape.
Robert LoCicero
Sep 20, 2016 rated it liked it
If you like a bloody shootup in which the outlaws, rapists, robbers and in general "bad guys" get their comeuppance then this is the read for you. Mountain Man "Smoke" Jensen smokes dozens of "bad guys" using any means at his disposal. From hidden pointed sticks and boulders blasted by dynamite, to rifle and revolver fire, this amazing fellow reaps vengeance on men of little worth in the wild days in Western America. Cheered by townsfolk, lawmen and fellow "do-gooders" we have here a tale most r ...more
Graeme
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: western
I was disappointed with this book. I have read a few of the later books in the series and was looking forward to catching up on the backstory, but this book just doesn't seem to be of the same standard as the later ones. While interesting in parts it seems a bit rushed in others and the overall effect is more of a dime western than the more well crafted books that come later.
Emily
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, series, western
Seemed unnecessarily explicitly violent. I mean, I get that it's a western with all those cliches, but this author goes above and beyond to be gross. I listened to this audio book and decided to not listen to the other ten by this author that I had on my shelf.
Calvin Daniels
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dag nabbit that thar is one fine readin' book!😁
Patricia Wchman
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This book read like it was written for 6th graders,definitely not for adults.
Michael Sigler
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Talk about an action packed first book to a series! I am hooked!
Scott Whitney
It was a fun book. It reminds me of the westerns I read when I was younger. Not as good as a L'Amour, but it was good. I will probably read a couple more of the series.
Koen Kop
Oct 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
A 4.20 average rating! So I expected a lot: Interesting historical background, vivid couleur locale, beautiful landscape painting, survivalist lore .... but none of that. Other than that, this novel has it all: all the ingredients of an nth-rate spaghetti western. Our hero (tall and handsome, no doubt) wins all the good fights, not through any clever schemes or stratagems -(he is only slightly less dim-witted than his many life-weary opponents), but because ... wait for it ....did you guess?... ...more
Tome Addiction
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: western
This is the second book I have read by William Johnstone and even though I have enjoyed both, both ramble on more than those written by J. A. Johnstone his nephew. J. A. Johnstone is a better writer but William weaves more historical detail into the story hence the rambling. Action scenes o'plenty in both writers and both enjoyable western writers but I think I will stick to J. A. over William as William is a little laboriously long winded for my preferred tastes. J.A. weave a better pacing of t ...more
Michael
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: westerns
Briskly-paced with fun characters that I related to and rooted for. Even when it gets dark - and it does get dark - it never pushed me away. Everything about it made me eager to read more. The only negative aspect is that it doesn't have a proper finish. There's a nice, emotional conclusion, but the hero's mission isn't completed until the following book, which - sadly - isn't as good as this one.
Tanya
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
Movie in your mind: An entertaining, if predictable, listen. Grittier than I expected. I was befuddled that the only women in the whole book are prostitutes (except the mother in the first chapter). It seemed odd to me that this gunman would ONLY encounter such women, at least to be made note of.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Feb 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This has been in our home library for more than five years after my husband read it and before I read it. Westerns are a genre he prefers to read. I do find the main characters to be memorable. The violent action scenes inhibit me from making a recommendation to all readers. I recommend it to adult readers who prefer the Western genre.
Sandy
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Audiobook: I got this audiobook mainly for John, but I enjoyed it too. It had actual sound effects and different people reading for each character. It was kind of like listening to a play. I really liked that aspect of the audiobook. It was a good story, not much character development, but like I said it read like a play. We are both looking forward to continuing the series.
Timothy
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this first published in the 1980's western...shootin', killin', revenge. I plan on reading more books in this series! It was fun to read a book that wasn't run through a bunch of censors. The story is what it is, the Old West was rough.
Dan Smith
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is where the story of Matt Jensen Started... from the time he parents were killed, until the time that he was able to get those that did it...
Steven Bradley
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love William Johnstone books
Virginia Bailey
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. The description is wrong. This is the first Smoke Jensen book not the one about his adopted son Matt. How do we get the correct description?
Robert
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
All of William Johnstone's books: for Western fans only. Good guys kill bad guys. Indians good, Indians bad. Guns, horses, western scenery, pretty girls..........
Nate Koch
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME
The Great America...: William W Johnstone in best reading order. 3 19 Aug 26, 2017 11:27AM
  • The Devil's Badland (The Loner, #2)
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • The Buckskin Line (Texas Rangers, #1)
  • The Untamed (Dan Barry, #1)
  • Showdown At Yellow Butte
  • Tucker
  • The Law at Randado
  • Dance on the Wind
William Wallace Johnstone was a prolific American author, mostly of western, horror and survivalist novels.

Born and raised in southern Missouri, Johnstone was the youngest of four children. His father was a minister and his mother a school teacher. He quit school when he was fifteen and worked in a carnival and as a deputy sheriff. He later served in the Army and, upon returning to civilian life,
More about William W. Johnstone

The Last Mountain Man (1 - 10 of 46 books)
  • Return of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #2)
  • Trail of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #3)
  • Revenge of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #4)
  • Journey of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #5)
  • Law of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #6)
  • War of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #7)
  • Code of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #8)
  • Pursuit of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #9)
  • Courage of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #10)
  • Blood of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #11)

Fiction Deals

• Burying the Honeysuckle Girls
  • Ilsa: A Novel
  • Into the Free
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Persian Boy (Alexander the Great, #2)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • Mademoiselle Chanel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette (P.S.)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Orphan Master's Son
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Sisters One, Two, Three
    $4.99 $1.99
  • This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Yellow Star
  • Miramont's Ghost
  • I Am Livia
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Play of Death (The Hangman's Daughter, #6)
  • Requiem for a Dream: A Novel
  • I Don't Know How She Does It: The Life of Kate Reddy, Working Mother
  • The Eagle Tree
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Helen of Sparta (Helen of Sparta #1)
  • The Things That Keep Us Here
  • Halsey Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Woodlands (Glenbrooke, #7)