Start by marking “Kindred Hearts” as Want to Read:
Kindred Hearts

Kindred Hearts

Charming rascal Tristan Northwood seems to have it all: an ancient name, a noble inheritance, a lovely wife, and a son he adores. Women love him, men admire him, and it seems there is nothing he can’t do, whether it’s seducing a society wife or winning a carriage race. Little does Society suspect that the name means nothing to him, the fortune is in his father’s controllin ...more
Published May 2nd 2011 by Dreamspinner Press (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Kindred Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kindred Hearts

Sheziss
I may sound like a freak but one of the reasons I loved this book so much was the medical stuff!

Ok, I wouldn't have liked this book so much if it were a boring essay. I never read essays, period. Almost. But I surely enjoy m/m romances, and a good historical one is difficult to find. The science part is just anecdotical but I was thrilled when they talked about important historic discoveries or about German anatomy books (has that last thing really changed?).

Above all, I liked seeing how Surge
Ingie
Written March 28, 2015

3 1/2 Stars - Well-made drama with both sweetness and some nagging touching moments

photo image.jpg2_zps7sfmxsgo.jpg

It was time to give this historical M/M romance a chance. ~ Kindred Hearts was a recommendation from my sweet Spanish friend —the future physician— Sheziss (her 4 star review) last summer. (I can see why this was such a great one for you dear.)

I listened to the 12:50 hrs audiobook, well narrated by Paul Morey.

***********************************************************

London and Brussel 181
Kaje Harper
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, favorites, m-m
4.5 stars Tristan is a young man rebelling against his wealthy and disapproving father by playing the libertine, until his father insists he marry. And after meeting his fiancée, Tristan realizes that she is restful and practical, and he goes through with the wedding. His wife is undemanding, calm and not romantic, and after a while she gives him a son who becomes the light of his life. And yet his days and nights feel empty and pointless. Until he meets her brother Charles, a cavalry officer an ...more
Nick Pageant
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, m-m
BR with my best girl.

Very good Regency. I dinged it one star because it felt really long.
Steelwhisper
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
this is 2.5*, but I can't bring myself to give this a full 3, and thus I guess I am one of the odd ones out. I decided to be honest and hope this won't end in some retribution-fest again either.

The 2.5 stars are for the--mostly--good to very good research effort which went into this book. I appreciate that, though there were niggles, like for instance the anachronisms in some of the medical information.

But excellent research isn't enough to outbalance everything. There were simply far too many
Lauraadriana
This book was just fine writing from beginning to end...perfect historical fiction, well researched, the vernacular was just right, and the love story was beyond moving.

It's 1810 and Tristan Northwood is going through life as the stereotypical spoiled young English aristocrat having fun, womanizing, drinking too much and indulging as much as he can.

In an effort to sober him up (in more ways then one) his father marries him off to Charlotte Mountjoy, a young woman from a good family with financia
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧°**★°**★
“Life is the death of all of us.' - Tristan”

This is one of the BEST and EXCEPTIONALLY WRITTEN regency romances , I have ever read, and, I have to admit, I have not read many. But, this was a grand induction. And, makes me want more historicals....just, this.

This book and what I loved about it .

The easiness of this read.

The sweetness of this romance.

The names of the MCs, gosh I can pronouce them , and they have names that work, unlike "Arcu, Rock, or Red " so, they do not stumble my flow whil
Audrey
Jan 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, man-love
I just have to say it: This one shot its load a little too early and left me unfulfilled at the finish.

I know I know, that was terrible, but it was too good to pass up.

I don't really have the juice to write a full blown review right now. Full review (maybe) will follow.

For now, let me work on a stream of consciousness "review"ish thing...

1) It's a m/m historical set in the Regency. Ding ding ding! Sold!
2) There's lots of emo stuff from both Hs at different points in the story.
3) The relationship
Irina
A nice enough historical mm romance.

The beginning was promising but somewhere along the way I'd lost my focus. It could've been entirely my fault though. I wouldn't want to discourage other readers. And I did enjoy Paul Morey's narrating, as always.

***3.5 stars***
Heather C
Jun 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Heather C by: Lauraadriana
Beautiful. So wonderfully beautiful.

While I'm not a huge fan of historical romance, I do appreciate one that touches my heart. And this one was just perfect!! A little heartbreaking at times but ends with a wonderful HEA. Plus, I adored all the characters...especially the wife.

Definitely one of the best m/m historical romances that I've ever read.
Bookwatcher
Why this book deserve 5 stars?
* The story is VERY good, and I never got bored or tired. Its hard to write a historical romance, so thumbs up to the writer!
* The drama (even if Ill talk more about it later) was perfect. I like the romance, with dramatic moments, and again more romance... its perfect, the balance between both.
* Its a long book, but I dare you to read and search for useless parts. Every chapter is needed, to tell Tris and Charles love story.

Why I gave 3, not 5, stars?
For a personal
Erastes
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it

This has the feeling of a "proper" Regency, and as a comparison, if you liked the Regency work of Lee Rowan, G.S Wiley, or Bonnie Dee and Summer Devon you'll definitely like this. It has all the elements in place for a "nice" traditional Regency - an arranged marriage, a brooding rake, clubs and ballrooms etc etc--but it doesn't stick to the rules for too long thank goodness!

That's not to say it isn't flawed, but in this case the good definitely outweighs any faults--I can't go so far to say "th
Danny Tyran
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it
If you love M/M historical romances, you should enjoy this novel. The author did a good historical and medical research. The story includes all elements of the genre(view spoiler).

Personally, I liked it, although I found it on the whole a little bit lukewarm. That's why I give it 3 stars.
Наталья
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Чтобы объективно воспринимать этот роман, пришлось старательно абстрагироваться от только что прочитанной Love, Like Water этого же автора. Похожи герои, динамика между ними, схема развития отношений.

Книга хороша сама по себе, но я получила бы больше удовольствия от прочтения, если бы не читала их подряд. Так что рекомендую этого автора читать дозированно.
Kate McMurray
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, m-m, romance
I was in the mood for a good historical, and this one really delivered. In some ways, it's a traditional Regency, with a rakish hero and the associated angst involving fancy parties and rich peerage problems. There's even a clever woman. Our hero Tristan has pissed off his father one time too many and the consequence is that his father forces him to marry a spinster named Charlotte, who turns out to be quite delightful. Tristan isn't actually a particularly good rake; he never deflowers the inno ...more
Shira Anthony
Such a gorgeous book! The writing is outstanding, and the characterizations are rich and three-dimensional. Set at the time of the Napoleonic Wars, the historical details are vivid and well-researched. I've added this to my "to re-read" shelf, knowing that I will come back to it again and again. Just a stunning story, and so well-executed.

MILD SPOILERS FOLLOW: (view spoiler)
Edina Rose
I don't know what to say. This book is brilliant, perfect, wonderful. I was not sure about reading it because one hero is married with children and the other hero is his wife's twin brother! It is not a threesome, so I thought it would be some disgusting cheating and I will not like the characters.
I was sooooo wrong! It is a wonderful book, full of love, and nothing disgusting about the heroes or their love at all. Their love and love story is of the purest kind. Ah, my romantic heart! Money ve
LenaLena
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Started out really good. I like Regency and its rules and this was one of the better ones. Tristan was very likable and his desperation well done. And then, about 40% percent in, the MCs get together and turn into the worst kind of sniveling women. You could fill a swimming pool with the manly tears spilled in this book! Of course, we're spending about half the book nursing one or the other back to health, too. And yes, that includes the Grand Declarations of Love for Convalescing Characters. Si ...more
Shelby
Fan-Freakin-Tastic!!! Wow, oh wow! This is by far the best historical M/M romance I’ve read. I absolutely adored everything about this book and just plain devoured it. I’m a history buff first and foremost and loved the addition of Napoleon’s nasty little second campaign. I completely adored Charlie, Trist, and Lottie as well. If I’m going to have some female parts in my M/M well I guess Lottie is the best option out there. ☺

Tristan Northwood lost his mother when he was young when they all came
Lyra
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's always weird when I read a book, rate it, and forget to write the review because then I will sometimes come back to it soon enough that I remember the book well enough to review it but with enough time having elapsed that my rating view has changed. Take this book, for example. I clearly rated it 4 stars right after I read it, but now that I'm looking back on it, it seems like a 3 star book. I'm not going to change the rating, though, as I feel like it wouldn't be fair given that the overwh ...more
Jayhjay
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I originally bought this book b/c I loved Finding Zach so much, even though I don't read a lot of m/m historicals. But I am happy to say I loved Kindred Hearts and would definitely recommend it.

As much as it is a love story, this book is also really a story of Tristan and personal growth towards happiness throughout the book. When we first meet Tristan he is deeply unhappy, acting out and misbehaving but feeling miserable about himself all the while. Tristan lost his mother as a child and he and
Anne Freya
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqqiaap, novel
Romance-nya indah. Dan angsty sekali karena ini ada masalah psikologi juga, sampai habis berapa tissue buat buku ini. T____T
Dan salut buat riset author soal medisnya yg mendalam, karena hisrom lain atau novel genre lain yg kubaca biasanya rada malas buat riset soal bidang-bidang tertentu.

Kurasa ini historical romance m/m yg paling berkesan buatku, walaupun sebetulnya jumlah hisrom yg kubaca terbilang sedikit sekali (untuk m/f ga lewat dari 5 buku kayanya, untuk m/m kayanya juga belum sampai 5 b
Karen K
This was a fabulous read and since I don't usually get so hooked on historicals, that's saying a lot. I love the author's writing style and her characters always just pop for me and stay with me for a long time. Tristan was no different, whether portrayed as a sexually-heartless rogue or the sweet, needy man he was on the inside, I absolutely fell for him right off the bat.

The story worked well, the descriptions taking me right into the characters' heads and scenes and the characters themselves
LD  Durham
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
This started off pretty strongly. It could get a bit repetitious at times, but I was fully engaged and invested in the story. However, the moment the two protagonists began their love affair, it seemed to devolve into a soppy melodrama. A repetitive melodrama. Both men suddenly became criers with Tristan leading the waterworks race. There were several places in which both of them rhapsodize about their love for the other, to each other or to anyone else, it seemed. The story dragged out, as well ...more
Snowtulip
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Snowtulip by: Pushubuu
Shelves: m-m
The storytelling, the history, the character development...all just perfect. I was riveted to the story and could not break myself away from learning more about Tris and his insecurities and his growth in developing a sense of self.

This is such a great heartfelt love story between Tristan and Charles. We see the full range of emotions with these two men and the people in their lives. A wonderful read!
Jacq
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweet historical love story... But but but a little bit to long and drawn out. But still a five star!
BlackTulip
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed By BlackTulip for Booked Up

Well, I will simply say that this is how every m/m Historical romance should be ... what a treat!

How many times have I thought or said in my reviews that there was definitely a lack of background, well in this book there is no such thing!

The wealth of details, the observation of the human mind, and its reaction when faced with very specific situations give much depth to the story and seem utterly genuine. Page after page you are given a piece of the puzzle of
Rosie
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, romance, historical
REREAD

FIRST READ: 22/12/14 The beginning of this story was incredible. Actually, this has to be one of my favourite historical reads! Historical (of this kind of time period) always tend to follow the same routine with quite similar characters - its very rare to find one that stands out. But oh my god, the characters in this story are definitely my favourite! The best character was Charlotte, a woman who pretends to be dumb because it amuses, doesn't really care about much, and is, more than any
Lexi Ander
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have now said this twice in as many days...I don't like many historical romances. I read earlier this week Bitterwood and really enjoyed it so I turned around and tackled Kindred Hearts.

I have to say that I would eagerly read any historical written by Rowan Speedwell.

The plot, the setting, the characters was written with such meticulous care giving the story depth and life. The knowledge and care for the period that this was written in is evident on every page. The story is touching, engaging
  • The Only Gold
  • His Client (His Client, #1)
  • Bonds of Earth
  • A Private Gentleman
  • Bless Us With Content
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • Well Traveled (Gideon and Jedediah, #1)
  • Seducing Stephen
  • Ransom (Royal Navy, #1)
  • According To Hoyle
  • Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
  • Discreet Young Gentleman
  • Counterpoint: Dylan's Story
  • Lover's Knot
  • Secret Light
  • The Gladiator's Master
  • The Auspicious Troubles of Chance (The Auspicious Troubles of Love, #1)
An unrepentant biblioholic, Rowan Speedwell spends half her time pretending to be a law librarian, half her time pretending to be a database manager, half her time pretending to be a fifteenth-century Aragonese noblewoman, half her time… wait a minute… hmm. Well, one thing she doesn't pretend to be is good at math. She is good at pretending, though.

In her copious spare time (hah) she does needlewo
“You can't always choose the people you work with, but you can choose to learn how to deal with them. They are all different." - Charles” 7 likes
“Life is the death of all of us.' - Tristan” 5 likes