Start by marking “Dark Frost (Mythos Academy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dark Frost (Mythos Academy, #3)

Dark Frost

(Mythos Academy #3)

I've seen so many freaky things since I started attending Mythos Academy last fall. I know I'm supposed to be a fearless warrior, but most of the time, I feel like I'm just waiting for the next Bad, Bad Thing to happen. Like someone trying to kill me--again.

Everyone at Mythos Academy knows me as Gwen Frost, the Gypsy girl who uses her psychometry magic to find lost objects
ebook, 1st Edition, 336 pages
Published May 29th 2012 by Kensington

Start your review of Dark Frost (Mythos Academy, #3)
Darlalala
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mythology
OH MY!!! Gwen's wearing the necklace LOGAN had given her! And who's Loki's champion?? hmm..
EDIT: So this book deserves 4.5 stars but I round it up anyway. Gwen, still doesn't have the super ability to defend herself (view spoiler), but at least she's starting to understand her real power, what she can do with her touch magic.

Dark frost is tricky! I swear at some point I was so sure that this character is Loki's cham
Stacia (the 2010 club)
[image error]
How fitting that my happy place includes an Amazon box.

I'm still running this marathon, getting ready to hit up book 4 before release.

Reasons why this series continues to be awesome :

1. Vic, the talking sword. The snarky, British weapon is still at it and I love him because of it (he gave me a scene where he said if he had a hand, he'd slap it to his forehead in disbelief). He even got into it with an enemy weapon.
"Lucretia!" Vic hissed at the sight of the other sword.
Lucret
Mizuki
Now we have the third book, the old problems we had seen in the previous two books are still there, let's see:

(1) Gwen keeps labeling people (even her friends) as ' band geek' and other stereotypes.

(2) Gwen continues to be stupid, acts alone without informing anyone else and walks into obvious trap *rolls eyes*, it doesn't change even when she and her family and friends are facing the threat from the evil god Loki and his followers.

(3) Gwen needs to be rescued instead of standing her ground, unt
Esmeralda
Jan 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: giving-up
Has anyone noticed that the Main Character is almost always being saved. Nike should have choice a better champion. At least one that doesn't think about boys at the time.
Elena
Mar 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Not as satisfying as I expected. I'll have to think about it.

-- Okay, I think I've thought enough. Here's what I thought:

I've been dying to get my hands on this book. As in dying. As in nothing else mattered as long as I had it in my hands.
Well.. let's just say I'd manage to put it down now and have no regrets.

My first prayer goes to Gwen.
Okay, first off, we kind of knew already how dumb Gwen is. I know, I know, I said that I loved her and stuff. And I do. Really.
But in this book.. I mean I felt
Experiment BL626
CAUTION: Long Review, Spoilers

It's official. This series suck. I have read book 1-3 and the prequel "First Frost"; I believe I can make this judgement now.

It would take a major effort to turn this series around. It's doable, but unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon.

The Writing

The beginning was repetitive. I don't mind rehash; I actually appreciate it a lot given the countless series I juggle. However, this series goes overboard with it and Dark Frost is one of the worst example
ShoSho
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, x-2017, elib
This was bad! I love the idea of it but I'm not enjoying the writing. The author loves repeating the same thing over and over. This book could have been less than half of what it was.
The h is really frustrating, she does a lot of dumb things.
I'm not sure if I want to continue with the series.
Colleen Houck
We found out the answers to some secrets in this one. I loved the wolf best and wish I had a cub. So cute! It's interesting to see how the gypsy gift is growing. I really like how this one ended.
Menna
Isdklfhsilfghsdlghsghlghw.....I can't type very well right now and I can't put a coherent thought together so therefore I can't write what I thought about the book. I am overwhelmed with all that fan-freaking-tastic shit that I just read. Now I'm gonna go and do my happy/crazy dance somewhere else before I break the computer screen or something....Logan, Logan. Yes, I have officially lost my mind...

Erin
Jun 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
2.5-3 stars

I kind of hate when I like aspects of a series enough to want to continue reading, even though I don't particularly like the books. The Mythos Academy books are an example of this. I enjoy the mythology and the idea that there are warriors in the world who are descendants of those who fought or assisted in major battles (Spartans, Valkyries, Vikings, etc). I even enjoy the overall storyline - All the good people in the book are fighting against Loki and his reapers to stop another cha
Kate (VerbVixen)
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The third book in the Mythos Academy series, Dark Frost, only adds fuel to the fire of my obsession with this series. I’m OBSESSED, I tell you! The combination of duty and sacrifice, of humility and bravery, of friendship and love. Dear god, I will never get enough of Mythos.

Dark Frost, even more so than Touch of Frost or Kiss of Frost, advances the series plot significantly; it felt like there was more action too which of course I loved! We finally have name and face to put to Loki’s champion;
Mitch
May 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Ok, Mythos Academy falls squarely into the dumb fun category for me, honestly I didn't think the first two books were that great, but neither were they unenjoyable. I keep reading these though for two reasons, because my sister loves this series so I have to keep getting her the books anyway, and because, well, like I said I liked the first two enough that I'm not going to bail on this one. And Dark Frost didn't disappoint, it's probably about the same as the first two, maybe a little more actio ...more
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Quick review:

Cover: Okay
Rating: PG-13
Overall: Now I’m annoyed
Characters: Well Written
Plot: Who done it.
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Logan

SUMMARY (50 words or less)
So I was again longing for this romance to blossom. And it fizzes. And I’m starting to feel like Chicagoland. I would be better off if no romance exist. It seems like they can’t catch a break. However, this book was a little less predictable than the last two.

For a full review and yu
Annie Brewer
 photo unravelme3_zps75b700a2.gif

WOW! Absolutely epic!!!!! Best in the series so far!!!! Awesome, awesome, awesome!!!!!

I have so much to say in my review regarding this continuation, but I'll have to wait until tonight to write it out. All I can say is, this book gave me major whiplash and anxiety. But I loved every bit of it!!

And ummmm, Logan freaking Quinn. Yep, I'm so ridiculously in love with Spartan boy. Sigh.

Review to come shortly!

So, this book was a surprise, a happy surprise. I mean, I've loved every Mythos book t
Laura (acquariusgb)
Great start and great finish in the book.

It's strange that only a few months have passed since the beginning of the series because a lot of things have happened since then.

Gwen continues her journey as Nike's champion with all its difficulties and set backs. In this book we'll explore more of Gwen as an individual having to learn to do things on her own and not with the friends she made through out the first and second book.

The battle is intense and great description of the action scenes. There
Emma
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, fantasy, ya
Whenever I start a Jennifer Estep novel, I feel a bit snooty- like it won’t be very good. And every single time, it turns out to be a great read and Dark Frost is no exception. Gwen discovers a new way to use her magic, meets up with an old friend, uncovers a treasure and has a turbulent time with Logan. Also we get some idea of the end game for the series. One quality of this series is the high level of action from almost the first page, without somehow compromising on friendships and character ...more
☆☆Hannah☆☆
This is one of those series that is okay. It's not terrible but not great. Gwen is dealing with a lot and apparently drama loves her. Plus her best friend is going through some things which makes her treat Gwen terribly. On top of all that the bad guy gets lose and now things are going to get real for the rest of the series. I just hope the pettiness stays out.
MISS VAIN
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
“Did Logan just give that girl an autograph?” Daphne asked, drumming her fingers on top of the table and making pink sparks of magic shoot out everywhere.

Carson hesitated. “That’s what it looks like.”

The girl gave Logan another smile before giggling again and rushing off. She hurried over to the table where her own friends were sitting and showed them the piece of paper. This time, they all erupted in a fit of giggles.

“Geez,” I muttered. “it’s a wonder they all don’t just go over there, take off
Mike (the Paladin)
Well I don't think it's a spoiler to say that, lucky for all humanity, Gwen Frost's heart is pure. So, I guess she has the strength of 10. That would be moral strength however as the Amazons, Valkyries, Spartans, vikings and pretty much everyone else who attends Mythos Academy can kick her butt physical strength wise.

I've read this series and have had mixed feelings about it from volume one on. Teen/YA novels are not all the same. they don't all aim for the same audience. A large group of these
Haley
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
*Spoiler Alert*

First of all, let me extend my thanks to Kensington and Netgalley for the chance to read this novel.

Dark Frost was a thrilling installment, full of rage and desire, froth with danger and teeming with secrets that are begging for sunlight. Gwen is really having a tuff time of it. Things with Logan are still not going where she wants them to, Daphne is acting odd, and reapers are planting clues everywhere…but are they really clues and if so what for? When everything starts coming t
Aimee
Wow! When I finished this, I had to take a few moments after to go over what I just read. In case you haven't read my reviews for the previous books in this series, this series is a favorite of mine. I love the mythology, and not just one isolated version either, but myths from all around the globe combined together. But what I loved the most was, as Gwen searches and searches for an artifact, the story doesn't stall. It doesn't hold out until the next book for something to happen.

This book, th
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Oh, Gwen, finally you're growing up, and I'm so proud of you. I'm still not a fan of her, and Logan is still a little asshole (seriously, when other people are telling off your girlfriend in front of both of you, grow some fucking balls and tell them to shut up, ok? Spartans are so not gentlemen), but they're both maturing bit by bit. I was rather happy when the beloved Logan finally lost it with Gwen and told her she's a spoilt little brat sniveling away because of her past tragedies when every ...more
Heidi
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four Stars: More action,danger and a darker tone!

Gwen, Daphne and Carson are touring the museum of history, viewing ancient artifacts in order to complete a school assignment.  It is the last day of Christmas break.  They are not alone in their procrastination, since the museum is packed with students from The Mythos Academy.  Everyone is hurrying to finish at the last minute.  In the weapons room, Gwen runs into Logan.  The two are excited to see each other and anxious to rekindle their relati
Naoms
Originally posted on

Confessions of an Opinionated Book Geek

I loved the first two books in this series. I ignored the easy to spot plot points. I ignored the romantic dialogue that some times came off cheesy. I ignored the fact that the main romantic storyline was cliché. I ignored it, because it really did not bother me. I took the books for what they were, quick and enjoyable reads.

Unfortunately, the main actin of Dark Frost is so ridiculous and implausible that I just cannot let it slide. Th
linda (flourishreader)
You won't hurt me. I know you won't." Logan said.
"How can you be so sure?" I whispered.
"Because you're that Gypsy girl, and I'm the bad-boy Spartan. And I think it's time we were finally together, don't you?”

Same old problems are following in this one but with improvement. (view spoiler) after a lot of struggles. There are a few things I really did not support like Daphne complaining about her new activated magic! Why is there anyt
Kathy Davie
Jul 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
Third in the Mythos Academy urban fantasy series for young adults revolving around the whiny Gwen Frost.

My Take
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know Gwen is a teenager, but must she be such an annoying, whining one? She has brains, Estep should write her using them rather than getting lazy about how to make Gwen feel bad. At least she can have Gwen think!

Hullo!??, the bad guys are everywhere. Hmmm, let me think: Grandma said the Reaper girl had mental powers. Gwen's been having headaches. And she thinks it
Dani
Sep 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
I thought this one was worse than the first two, which I didn’t think was possible.

It’s filled with more predictable plot lines and "twists" that the readers either already figured out for themselves or could see coming from a mile away.
There’s more spelled out narration. There’s more repetition of facts the readers already know, like Gwen literally recapping something for the readers that a different character has JUST told us. We heard it just like you did, you don't need to repeat exactly w
Bird
For me, this series is going steadily downhill. The first one earned four stars, the second was a three-star read, and this one clocks in at a lowly two. I overall like the characters and the world that Estep has created, but I had a number of problems with the book that affected my enjoyment level:

1. Estep's writing is repetitive and full of writerly "tics." I read her Elemental Assassins series, and those books suffer from similar issues. Estep also likes to hit readers over the head with deta
April
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA,paranormal romance,or mythological folktale lovers
Dark Frost is the newest novel in the Mythos Academy series by Jennifer Estep.It starts off a few days after New Years, one day before classes start back from holiday break.
Gwen, Daphne, and Carson, along with most of the other second-year Mythos students are at Crius Coliseum to finish an assignment to view a special artifacts exhibit before class the next day.Gwen and Logan are just about to have that "where is this relationship going" conversation,when suddenly Reapers attack the coliseum in
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Dark Frost, Jennifer Estep's latest installment of her Mythos Academy series can only be described as Estep at her best.
Once again we are plunged into Gwen's world of magic and mythology, of battles and deception, of half truths and lies. Mystery and suspense, good guys, bad guys and even guys in between and always a battle of good versus evil as Gwen tries to track down the Helheim Dagger and of course, save the world.

Right away there is a fierce battle with the Reapers and Gwen knows it is onl

• Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)
  • Kiss Me Twice
  • Die dunkle Prophezeiung des Pan (Pan-Trilogie #2)
  • Die verborgenen Insignien des Pan (Pan-Trilogie, #3)
  • Das geheime Vermächtnis des Pan (Pan-Trilogie #1)
  • Goddess (Starcrossed, #3)
  • It's time to move on
  • Taken at Dusk (Shadow Falls, #3)
  • Year One: Bloodshed Academy
  • Ghostseer (Black Forest High, #1)
  • Wolf Moon (Alpha Wolf Academy, #2)
  • Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3)
  • Acca (Angelbound origins #3)
  • Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1)
  • Until I Die (Revenants, #2)
  • Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)
  • Das Geheimnis des Träumers (Strange the Dreamer, #2A)
  • Cursed Academy: Year One (Cursed Academy #1)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea. She has written more than 40 books, along with numerous novellas and stories.

In her spare time, Jennifer enjoys hanging out with friends and family, doing yoga, and reading fantasy and romance books. She also watches way too much TV and lo

Mythos Academy (6 books)
  • Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1)
  • Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy, #2)
  • Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy, #4)
  • Midnight Frost (Mythos Academy, #5)
  • Killer Frost (Mythos Academy, #6)