Start by marking “Hush Little Baby” as Want to Read:
Hush Little Baby

Hush Little Baby

Published February 1st 1997 by Chronicle Books (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Hush Little Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hush Little Baby

Start your review of Hush Little Baby
Bea
The pictures are gorgeous, soft colors and lots of detail; the shooting star is a favorite of the children in my classroom. The words have been changed so that instead of the parents buying things for the baby, the items mentioned are found in nature or around the house. This story is a favorite in the classroom, we read it a dozen times a day.
Rebecca Cynamon-murphy
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the book to buy new parents. I flailed to remember lullabies but reading this one a few times stuck it in my memory. It rewrites the classic lyrics to be about experiences rather than purchased. Perfect.
Monique S. (The Ginger Librarian)
It would be sweet to read this to an infant...
Jackie Sisley
Hush Little Baby is a book featuring a mother and child bunny as well as the classic lullaby many of us grew up with, only a little different. The words have been adapted, but the general idea is still the same. I enjoyed reading this adapted version, in fact, and found it to be a welcomed change. This book, having been created based on a song, is musical in nature and can be read or sung. I personally had a hard time not singing it; it just did not feel right! The pictures are beautiful and, ...more
Jennifer Hart
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: songs
Awards Received: None

Appropriate grade level(s): Preschool to Kindergarten

Summary: Hush Little Baby is about a rabbit who is given presents from its parents.

My review: Hush Little Baby is a catchy lullaby and has beautiful illustrations.

1-2 Possible in-class uses: Hush Little Baby can be used as a book to put children to sleep at nap time. It can also be used when teaching units including families and animals. Throughout the book the parent-child relationship is strong and can lead to
Jessica Mowery
My mother used to read this book to me as a child and I was so excited when I came across it in the library. Hush Little Baby is a nursery rhyme that shows a mothers love for her child. The mother shows her child the simple things in nature that she finds beautiful like a hummingbird, the evening sky, and the sound of crickets. The mother also gives a bedspread and a teddy bear to comfort the child. The illustrations are so well painted and help to explain the story to a child that may not ...more
Charles Kos
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It reminded me of my childhood and how I once was a little kid myself. At this age of mine, I still enjoyed reading this book with classic words and the images were really appealing. I am sure young children will like this book, especially when someone they love like their moms read to them as they listen, watch, or rest.
Kim Lanza
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my all-time favorite lullaby. I grew up hearing the traditional lyrics about all the things that my momma was goin’ buy me. Silvia Long uses the same melody but weaves together beautiful lyrics about nature. The melody works with just about any name too!
Ashley Huffer
Good book but could upset students with poor home life’s.
Sunni Berbert
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Beautiful illustrations. Lovely lyrical words to express a mother’s affection to her child.
Marissa
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Lovely. A book that can be sung. The author re-wrote the traditional lullaby and I enjoyed her version thoroughly!
Annette Smith-Wright
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfect book for a minimalist mom. Rather than sing about things, sing about experiences and finding joy in nature.
Lindsay Schumaker
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
By far my favorite story to read to my children
Rani
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
#Bedtime #Story #lullaby #Mother warms every readers heart #YoungReaders #PictureBook #BookReview #ChildrensBooks #amreading
Susan
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, storybook
What a beautiful update to a lullaby.

I have never been comfortable with the original lyrics of Hush Little Baby where Mama buys this and that for the baby. Aside from the crass materialism of it, I was always bothered by the mama's attempt to buy the baby's love, as well as the fact that everything bought went wrong (perhaps a message about the ability to buy love?), and the fact that I could never figure out what a baby would do with most (or any?) of the 'gifts' (a diamond ring for a baby,
Shannon
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vin-nana
Lovely pictures and story...Vin enjoyed it but was particularly interested in the shooting star...he asked questions about that. He seemed relaxed and content when we reached the end of the story which is what a bedtime story should achieve.

I love seeing him learn new things about the world around him even though he has a slight unease about things that are unknown or beyond his comprehension. At least touching on these things a little in story books gives him a basic concept in a setting he
Eva Leger
Oct 03, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: julias-books
1.5 - I'd love to have this explained to me. So I can just pick a song - any song - change the lyrics around a little bit, and then publish a book? Really? Golly gee, that's just awesome.
I'd venture that this is a waste of $12.95 and I'm delighted I didn't buy it.
**Keep watch for my version of Old MacDonald - coming soon to a town near you! Be sure to shell out the cash for it too - it's going to take a lot of work to create a couple of sentences that are pretty much the same as the song but
Angie
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "Bedtime is a special ritual for parents and children. Lullabies often play an important role. This best-selling version of the beloved lullaby Hush Little Baby is now available in a sturdy board book making it perfect for sharing with the youngest children."

My Review: This is a wonderful book version of the song! The wording is slightly different than the song I remember but it is very appropriate for boys or girls. Honestly, you can't help but sing or hum the tune while reading it to
Kathryn
3.5 STARS. I appreciate the idea behind Long's "revision" of the classic "Hush, Little Baby" lullaby, as she seeks to remove the "materialism" present in the original and replace it with a mother who reads and hugs her child, showing him/her the beauty of the night world. I think I was just a little disappointed in the illustrations since I loved her "An Egg is Quiet" so much--but, then, those were more realistic representations of the natural world and this a little more "cutesy" so perhaps I ...more
Teri
Oct 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a precious vversion of the classic lullaby and is the perfect bedtime melody to share with baby. The author is an award winning artist and the illustrations are beautiful portrayals of familiar bedtime rituals. Book features include beautifully detailed watercolors and simple, repetitive, rhyming text.

Audience/Age Level: 0-2

Instructional Ideas:
ELA: Poetry lessons; compare original lullaby to Long's version; choral reading

Writing: Focus on rhyming element of poetry and create a class
Kassie Vardas-Doane
This book is the either based on or is the actual nursery rhyme, Hush Little baby. I do not know the original words, and that is why I don't know how accurate it is. This is a perfect story to read to a young child before bedtime. It takes the child through an evening and into the night. The child's mother is coming up with things to show or give to the child, and if they do not work as they are supposed to then there is a next step, until the step of going to bed and going to sleep. For ...more
Erin
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2013, 3y
I much prefer this version of the Hush Little Baby song to the original. Instead of plying the child with gifts, the mother points out the enjoyable things already around them like the evening sky or a shooting star. The illustrations bug me a little bit. They are supposed to be rabbits but their ears are so out of proportion to their head that they look a little sinister to me. My three year old thinks they're cats, which works too.
Shana Berschler
Reading this book, I automatically thought of my childhood and the warmth of my mother reading to me before I went to sleep. This children's book is based off of the lullaby "Hush Little Baby". The author changed around the words and incorporated a child and his mother. I believe stories like these are extremely important to read to young children. They will remember these stories throughout their life. Aside from the precious plot and meaning from the story, the illustrations are amazing.
Dave Lester
Dec 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I'm sure most people are familiar with the old tune of "Hush Little Baby" which focuses on daddy buying material possessions. Well, the cool thing about Sylvia Long's project is she replaces the material items with more meaningful and inspiring things of childhood. Mama shows her baby a hummingbird and the nighttime sky and they listen to the cricket call before playing the old banjo. This really is a clever revision and my daughter loves to read it.
Candice
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
This is a re-wording of the classic song, and the lyrics are sweet, as are the pictures. Instead of buying a mockingbird or a diamond ring, the mother bunny shows her baby a hummingbird, the evening sky, and a shooting star, listens with baby to the crickets call, catches a lightning bug for baby, and sings of a host of other things to show the beauty of nature and parental love. A lovely bedtime story book that you can read or sing (you know the tune).
Bonnie
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!

a friend gave this book at the birth of my third child. I wish I had it for all three. beautiful pictures and a theme that is very in tune to the beauty of nature. I have the board book, and also downloaded the kindle edition. I would recommend the actual book - children are able to more closely examine the illustrations.
Sara
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great bedtime book, and I hear Shea Anne singing this to her dollies and toys and herself. She will ask for it repeatedly. I love that it's about the mom bunny showing things to the little bunny, and not buying him things. For instance, mom shows him a hummingbird, the evening sky, plays the banjo, reads him a book, etc. Lovely illustrations!
Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
L loved this one so much when he was 2ish, that I learned the song by heart and would sing it without the book, although I must say the pictures are so sweet. I'd forgotten about this book, (Logan is almost 6 now), but just came across it while cleaning out some shelves. Made me just a little bit teary, remembering those peaceful bedtimes, singing.
Gwen
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Read, and reading and reading and reading again, because I have a 3-year-old. I used to read this to my older son, as well. A very sweet non-consumerist update of the lullaby. Rafi loves the illustrations, and loves to snuggle under his own "mommy-made" quilt when we read the bedspread/quilt lines.
Janelle
Feb 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've always loved the melody of "Hush Little Baby" but hated the consumer driven lyrics. Finally someone has created an alternative poem, that brings a mother and her child through the evening as they get him ready for bed without buying anything! A breath of fresh air.

• Moo, Baa, La La La!
  • The Napping House
  • Goodnight Moon
  • 10 Little Rubber Ducks
  • On the Night You Were Born
  • Baby Beluga
  • Wherever You Are My Love Will Find You
  • You're Here for a Reason
  • Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!
  • Time for Bed
  • The Whipping Boy
  • I Am a Rainbow
  • The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear
  • I'm a Hungry Dinosaur
Sylvia Long is the illustrator of several books for children including the best sellers Ten Little Rabbits and Alejandro's Gift.
Ms. Long's detailed paintings are inspired by her love of animals and the outdoors. She lives in Arizona.