Start by marking “Paranormalmente (Paranormalcy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Paranormalmente (Paranormalcy, #1)

Paranormalmente (Paranormalcy #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  86,051 Ratings  ·  5,937 Reviews
Evie sogna una vita normale, ma quando a sedici anni si ha il dono di vedere i mostri e si è un'agente del Centro Internazionale del Contenimento del Paranormale anche la ricerca della normalità può essere un'avventura. Se poi ci si mette una sirena come amica del cuore, una fata dei boschi maschio come ex e una cotta per un aitante mutaforma, la missione diventa quasi imp ...more
Hardcover, Y, 410 pages
Published May 4th 2011 by Giunti (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Paranormalmente, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Bex Hopley This book - YES, very good
Colorles I absolutely adored this book, and I believe that if you are into a bit of fantasy and sci fi, you're bound to also! Evie was such a lovable main…moreI absolutely adored this book, and I believe that if you are into a bit of fantasy and sci fi, you're bound to also! Evie was such a lovable main character with a fun sense of humor. There's some really intense stuff in here, some nice feel-good stuff, a bit of romance(With a love triangle that I, being a person who's sick of love triangles, loved. I mean, come on, when one of the boys in the triangle is an insane faerie, how can you not love it?), some mystery.... I mean, this book is just all over the chart. It just has a way of drawing you in. Anyways, I'm ranting now, I would definitely recommend it!(less)

Kat Kennedy
Jul 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the YA Paranormal genre
There’s a scene in Vampire’s Suck (yes, my husband and saw it with a group of friends and exited the cinema a few hours later with a few less braincells). Vampire’s Suck’s version of Mike Newton from Twilight approached the Bella character upon meeting her, threw an arm around her shoulder and said, “Wow, you look pretty frigid and boring! Wanna go to prom?”

Despite the stupidity of this movie they managed to encapsulate, in one brilliant sentence, the biggest problem I’ve had with the YA paranor
Flannery
Nov 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA urban fantasy readers, Buffy fans
Recommended to Flannery by: SCB TBR 2011 - Pick Three; Jess
When you look at the cover of this book, what do you think it is about? A blond teenage girl is wearing a prom dress in a field of pussy willows or wheat or something equally nonsensical. Here's a new cover that crushes the actual book cover on the relevancy front (though regrettably not in terms of artistic merit):

I mean, I went into this thinking it was going to be another YA paranormal romance and IT ISN'T. It is decidedly fun YA urban fantasy book. (jacket copy reading is for losers) It has
Haleema
May 08, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I do not have the patience to read a book where the heroine talks like this:

"Oh bleep! I'm so pumped! He kissed me! It was the best kiss of my life! It's such a cool kiss!"

Oh bleep?

Oh bleep?

I'm out.
Miranda Reads
I love, love, love, this book.

I've read it on and off for the last ten years and every time I pick it up, I literally (yes, literally) laugh out loud.
Tasers are a one-size-fits-all paranormal butt-kicking option. Mine’s pink with rhinestones.
I adore the premise, the subtle (and not-so-subtle) humor scattered throughout and the heroine is easily one of my YA faves.

Evie sees through glamors. No one can hide from her. From when she was discovered (at three) to now, she's been under the thu
Emily May
May 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, pnr, 2011

(Young adult genre + supernatural creatures) x love triangle - originality = De ja bloody vu

Why even bother reading this book? I can point you towards hundreds of other young adult books that are more or less exactly the same as what you get from Paranormalcy. I keep going back to this kind of genre, hoping that just once I will find the exception to the current book cloning rule that seems to be taking over the 21st century. We have a heroine who is neither good or bad enough to be exciting, s
Ahmad Sharabiani
Paranormalcy, Kiersten White
Paranormalcy is a series of young adult urban fantasy novels by American author Kiersten White, beginning with the inaugural entry of the same name. The story focuses on a girl named Evie, a member of a special international police force assigned to paranormal cases. As the tale progresses, Evie's professional duties begin to conflict with her growing desire for a normal life.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: نوزدهم ماه جولای سال 2014 میلای
عنوان: اوی در سرزمین خون آشامها؛ نویسنده:
Jen
I probably would've given a slightly higher star rating if there hadn't been so much damn hype around this book.

Alright. I'm feeling pro/con-y today. I'm taking a break from pharmacology homework to write this, so I need to get back to that. And it's a football Saturday, I've got a Bud Light in hand, so my thoughts are less than structured.

Pros:
- The cover is pretty, even though I can't decide how it correlates to the story.
- There is a seriously wide variety of paranormal creatures in this boo
Maggie
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Being dead wasn't supposed to hurt. Where was the fairness in that? If I was dead, the least the universe could do was make it painless.

This novel was actually awfully written but the plot was funny, and so was the main character. I mean, I'm sure Kiersten's writing has improved and the only reason I picked this one up is because I wanted to see how her writing is/was. I'm sure the other 2 books are much better and now that And I Darken is almost published, I'm sure that one will have much mor
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
10/27/17 - HEY, GUESS WHAT? I don’t know why or for how long, but this book is currently FREE on Amazon:

US Amazon. I don’t know about the rest of them. 📚😘
Steph Sinclair

Actual rating 2.5 stars.

Let me start by saying that I didn't hate this book, but I also didn't love it either. It was cute, spunky, and funny. However, there was just something about it that annoyed me.

So I've recently found out what a Mary Sue is. All this time I've been calling it "A la Bella-esque." Evie is most defiantly a Mary Sue. And I've come to the realization that I had a love/hate relationship with Evie the entire book. I thought she was really funny and down right silly at times. B
Andrea Cremer
May 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paranormalcy has it all: romance, adventure, suspense. This book made me laugh out loud and cry. Evie is an amazing character with a fabulous, authentic voice. I want to watch girly tv with her (and of course battle evil right after!)
Heather
Sep 19, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I'll admit it, I was lured into reading this one due to the oh so lovely cover as I'm a huge sucker for pink. Luckily, Evie, the narrator of Paranormacly, shares my enthusiasm for the rosy hue. However, that's about all we share aside from our love of shopping.

I'm contemplating joining a YA paranormal support group. More often than not, these reads fail to deliver. I need to cut the ties that bind and admit this genre is no longer what it once was. Or perhaps I've matured as a reader. But seeing
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
I wrote a longer review of Paranormalcy back in 2010. At the time, I had just started my book-review blog, and this was one of the first ARCs I ever received. So I think there was a lot to originally endear me to the story, and it was definitely light, cute, and a quick read.

But then I tried to read the sequel, and I subsequently discovered that "light" and "cute" books just didn't hold my interest anymore. The characters (Evie? her mermaid friend?) were a bit too "ABC Family" for my taste (i.e.
Lora
Dec 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people looking for a less angsty, more fun YA paranormal
Shelves: g-ya-paranorm
First off, I really liked Evie. She reminded me of Mac (from the Fever series) a little, and that can't be a bad thing. I'm usually very fastidious when it comes to finding heroines that I like, but Evie was actually really nice.
She may have had a couple of blonde moments towards the end (no offense to blondes, of course - my mother is actually blonde) but I still think she was fierce, fun, refreshing, and insecure in a way that I found quite endearing. I alternated between wanting to grab her a
Kristi
Aug 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel had me hooked from the first page. I mean with an intro like this how can you not want to read the rest:

“Wait- did you-- You just yawned!” The vampire’s arms , raised over his head in the classic Dracula pose, dropped to his sides. He pulled his exaggerated white fangs back behind his lips. “What, imminent death isn’t exciting enough for you?”

“Oh, stope pouting. But, really, the widow’s peak? The pale skin? The black cape? Where did you even get that thing, a costume store?”

If that d
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
I just don't know what it is with me and 3 star reviews now... It's all i seem to be doing lately.

What can i say about this one? Well, for starters it wasn't that remarkable, and it started getting predictable. And that was a no-no for me. Nothing about the book was memorable.

It felt like i was reading and reading to get nowhere at all at the end. And that was the cherry on top to a totally average (maybe even below) read. The ending was a total wtf.

Peep (Pop! Pop!)
Yeahhhhh, so this one started out pretty funny. I kind of liked Evie. Though I did think she was much less mature than what you think someone would be, based on her level of confinement.

The bad guy was ok. I didn't really see her as intimidating. I mean, she really wasn't. Her wrath was kind of peaceful. It's hard to explain but I felt like they were just rumors of a bad guy, that there was no actual bad guy in this book.

I did not like the IPCA. I thought what they did to paranormals was wrong,
Giselle
Feb 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that you read when you need a break from dark, serious, hefty novels and just want something fun! Paranormalcy not simply about vampires, or werewolves, or faeries, it's includes ALL of them- and more. I really had a great time with it and enjoyed the medley.

Evie can see paranormals: No matter what glamour they wear, she can see through it. She's been living with the IPCA, an agency who controls the paranormals, all her life and feels pretty lonely being the only (human) teenage
Janina
Paranormalcy definitely was a cute little book. It was entertaining, funny and a little romantic at times – but, honestly, while I enjoyed it, it didn’t really make a lasting impression on me.

Evie was very pink, but also very refreshing when compared to other heroines I’ve met so far. I loved her little quirks and her excitement when it came to ‘normal’ life. Her obsession with her pink rhinestone taser ‘Tasey’ (something that had me very suspicious at the beginning) actually didn’t bother me t
oliviasbooks
I was skeptical after I read a ton of reviews and saw that Becca Fitzpatrick recommended it (very bad sign in my opinion), but I decided not to cancel my pre-order and have a go. Now I have to say: I really liked the book. And I liked the heroine and her love-interest (I mention only one, because that manipulative control-freak behavior of RetCh, the conscience-free faerie, cannot be counted as love-triangle worthy. He just used her loneliness and her craving of any kind of physical contact to r ...more
Katieb (MundieMoms)
Paranormalcy is a fun, flirty, addictive read with a great paranormal twist. I literally found myself wanting to read it again when I finished it. I love Evie! She's one of those characters I wish was real so I could be friends with her.

Evie is a sassy, smart, decisive, strong, sarcastic, butt kicking, "make the world better", pink stiletto boot wearing character that I fell in love with. Evie herself is a paranormal character who can see through the glamour of other paranormals. That makes her
Lyndsey
This is kinda like a cross between Buffy and The Mortal Instruments series.

Despite the girl on the cover, I couldn't help but picture Sarah Michelle Gellar in the role (younger though, considering Evie is just 16). Her attitude and quirks remind me very much of the early years of Buffy, though obviously nowhere near up to the genius level of Joss Whedon. No offense.

Evie is a seemingly one-of-a-kind bagger and tagger of paranormals imbued with a special ability that helps her track them down. She
Wanda
Young adult novels can be hit-or-miss for me. This one is kind of in the middle, because I quite enjoyed the story while being disappointed by the writing.

There are so many good elements—Evie herself has great potential, as a teenage agent for the International Paranormal Containment Agency. But she’s a teen, so she has teen concerns like forging an identity for herself, getting motivated to do school work, wondering if she’ll ever meet a boy, and trying to figure out what “normal” life is.

Evie
Kim
Feb 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I was positive I wasn't going to like it. Which is odd, I'll admit, but I have a thing for ridiculous books. I'm not saying this book wasn't a tad ridic, because it was predictable as hell and what's the word I'm looking for... fluffy? When I think about this book I see a cute fuzzy pink bunny.

Evie was pretty likable, but a bit too quirky in a cool way for somebody who basically lived in a modern version of a cave pretty much all her life. But her fashion sense sucks. Ze
Nic
Mar 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Looking for a light, fun, youthful, paranormal read!
The doctor was a pleasant werewolf in her midforties. I hadn’t been in here since I sprained my ankle two years ago. And, no, it wasn’t in some exciting way, being chased through a graveyard by a vamp or anything. I sprained it while rocking out to my iPod alone in my room. Apparently hip-hop is not my calling.

Originally, I contemplated giving this book 100 stars as it helped take my mind off of my chicken pox and stopped me scratching. And really that is the most important thing in a book at t
Kristy
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh man, that was good. I feel like my son when he gets a new fun toy, just giddy and happy. This was soo different, in the best way. I honestly have not read anything like this. I was worried it was going to go traditional vampire route or ghosts, but I was very wrong. This just rocked!

I’m afraid to write a summary, I don’t want to give one single thing about this one away for any of you who haven’t read it!!!! And, on that thought, if you haven’t read this, what are you waiting for??!?!?! DO IT
Emilee
Feb 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Melissa Marr, Holly Black, Cassandra Clare, Maggie Stiefvater
Shelves: reviewed, favorites
Cross posted from my blog: http://penultimatepage.com/review-par...

Judging a book by the cover: Dark. Strong. Feminine. Eye-catching. Definitely what comes to mind when I think of Evie and her story.

My Thoughts:

I have been longing to read Paranormalcy since I first heard about, so naturally, I stalked my mailman when I found out I would be getting my very own copy.
Evie, the main character, is quite possibly the strongest heroine I have ever read. However, she is more than just strong. Evie is cl
Megan
What a cute book and a pleasant surprise! Paranormalcy is a refreshingly well written coming of age story about a sheltered teenage girl who just happens to live in a world filled with vamps, weres and other supernatural beasts. What’s that? You say that sounds just like every other YA book written these days? Well, yeah… but what is so different about this one is main character Evie thinks for herself, solves her own problems and develops a sweet and healthy relationship with a guy who treats h ...more
tonya.
Dec 13, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, fantasy, 2011, ya
I'm really not sure how to review this properly, to be honest. I think this is the first YA novel I've ever read that is really and truly geared toward actual young adults and not the growing adult audience in the genre. It was really the only time in the last year I've spent immersed in YA that I've not been able to identify with a main character, simply because I felt so much older and more mature than her.

Anyway, beyond Evie feeling a bit immature--exactly as immature as a sixteen year old sh
Carolina
Jul 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will tell you right up front I did not pick up this book on a whim. I’d heard about it, so when I saw an ARC was available, I simply had to have it. So, yes, I read it with some pre-love. But come on, look at that cover! It’s just so shiny and pretty. And that dress is just so gotsta-have-it. It also seems remarkably fitting for Evie, the main character, who is also shiny and pretty. But she’s far more than that as well—she’s downright hilarious. I laughed my way through PARANORMALCY. Evie’s v ...more
  • Nightshade (Nightshade #1; Nightshade World #4)
  • Shadowspell (Faeriewalker, #2)
  • The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey, #2)
  • Forgive My Fins (Fins, #1)
  • Personal Demons (Personal Demons, #1)
  • Intrinsical (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #1)
  • Jealousy (Strange Angels, #3)
  • Firelight (Firelight, #1)
  • The Body Finder (The Body Finder, #1)
  • The Dark Divine (The Dark Divine, #1)
  • Forsaken (The Demon Trappers, #1)
  • She Smells the Dead (Spirit Guide, #1)
  • Tempestuous (Wondrous Strange, #3)
  • Blood Feud (Drake Chronicles, #2)
  • Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters, #1)
  • Meridian (Fenestra, #1)
  • Shifting
  • Crave (Crave, #1)
Kiersten White is the New York Times bestselling author of many books for teens and young readers, including And I Darken, Now I Rise, Bright We Burn, The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein, and Slayer. She lives with her family near the ocean in San Diego, where she perpetually lurks in the shadows. Visit Kiersten online at KierstenWhite.com and follow @KierstenWhite on Twitter.
More about Kiersten White

Paranormalcy (3 books)
  • Supernaturally (Paranormalcy, #2)
  • Endlessly (Paranormalcy, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Yes, I have a driver's license."

I leaned back against the wall, sighing. "Man, that must be so cool."

"It ranks right up there with lockers. In fact, sometimes I put my license inside my locker, and it's so cool I worry that the whole thing might explode with the sheer coolness of it all.”
655 likes
“Lish tried to swear--which is always funny, because the computer won't translate it. It went something like this: "Bleep stupid bleep bleep faeries and their bleep bleep bleep obsessions. He had better stop bleep bleep bleep the bleep bleep rules or I will bleep bleep bleep the little bleeeeeeeeeeep.” 488 likes