Start by marking “Extinction (Star Force, #2)” as Want to Read:
Extinction (Star Force, #2)

Extinction

(Star Force #2)

Earth's Star Force marines invade an alien world!

In the second book of the Star Force series, Kyle Riggs has another bad year. The Nano ships have a new mission-one that sentences their pilots to death. Meanwhile, the governments of Earth want to steal Star Force's Nano technology for their own. Worst of all, Earth has made a promise to the Macros, and the mach
Published March 28th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Extinction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extinction

Start your review of Extinction (Star Force, #2)
Alex
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, audiobook
I feel Riggs perhaps he is a little more like his Aussie fleet admiral than he'd like to admit, and that is the better part of the audiobook. The general incompetency of the military is unbelievable, that he, as a former professor is the only one capable to do anything at all is very strange. Not to mention how incredibly annoying his girlfriend is, it only diverts attention from what could've been a decent book.

And there is something to say about his cockiness which is amplified disgustingly,
Pharminator
Jun 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi, kindle
I rarely am too harsh on books. I try to give everything a fare shake. I tried to do this with Larson's other book and I felt it was as good as a cheap sci-fi movie. If I had to compare, I would say that the first book in this series was like Transformers 1. Not a great movie, but serviceable enough to make you read the sequel. Like the second Michael Bay Transformers movie, this book was terrible. The "wish fulfillment" style of writing that was in the first book was even more present here in t ...more
Dan
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
OK, but not as good as the first book.
BJ Haun
Aug 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
It's a shame, really. The first book of the series, Swarm, was a promising start. Unfortunately, this book quickly devolves into a "one man surrounded by incompetents against the world, and by the way he is with a woman 10 years younger than he is" thing. I just couldn't make the leap that somehow the main character Kyle Riggs, who in the first book admitted the closest he got to combat experience was working as a computer tech for the Army in Desert Storm, suddenly turns into a tactical masterm ...more
Cora
Mar 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
Seriously.... The girlfriend gets on my nerves...STFU. Why is he the only person that gets to have a girlfriend? Ugh... I keep wishing she would die. Also, why is he the only person smart enough to do anything? Couldn't finish. Sad:( liked the first one.
Kat  Hooper
Jun 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at FanLit.

Extinction is the second novel in B.V. Larson’s STAR FORCE series about professor Kyle Riggs who was picked up by an alien spaceship and now captains a fleet of ships that are protecting earth from other aliens. I called the first book, Swarm, “a silly, but exciting, male wish-fulfillment fantasy.” I wouldn’t have moved on to book two, but the audiobook publisher sent it to me for a review, so here we are.

Extinction takes place soon after the e
Vincent Wood
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Book two of the Star Force series and I have to say I am not overly impressed with it so far. It is an entertaining enough series so far and I do like some of what the author has done with the direction the plot has taken. However, the book just does not leave me in awe. The characters are for the most part one dimensional and most seem to exist as soundboards so the the main character can implement his ideas.

The human species in the book seems to be filled idiots with only one capab
Roy
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Good, but certainly not great.

This novel manages to do something I don't see a lot in these sorts of pulpy explosion-centric stories. I wouldn't have thought a computer scientist would make a good action hero, but it works. Maybe that's my own biases, but that's OK. When the main character is problem solving, it actually kind of makes sense. It's not just think think think magic.

Unfortunately most of the novel is spent in the weakest aspect of the writing: a long combat c
Marianne Søiland
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the StarForce series, and I have to say - the story is picking up! It feels like the author kind of "has settled" more with his writing, and the story picks up both speed and action. Caught myself laughing out loud several times. The story is still written in "first person" form. This makes an interesting twist to the story. "I" is a cool guy :-) I gave book 1, Swarm, a 3+. This is definately a 4! Give me book three, Revenge!!
David Galloway
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This is the second book in the Star Force series, right behind Swarm.

I like that the author is skilled at keeping the tempo of the narrative flowing. It is definitely a page-turner that I at least didn't want to put down until it was complete.

Again, the style is military sci-fi; slightly chauvinistic and full of plans coming together at the last minute. If you like Heinlein's work, you'll probably enjoy this.
Doc
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another excellent representative of the new generation of self-published books that are primarily available as ebooks. In this case, I listened to the Audible Frontiers version of this (and the first book). The technical depth and science are fantastic. The characters are solid, although at times they seem a little bit stereotyped or caricaturish. But the plots are well formed, the detail is rich and compelling, and the concepts are well developed.
Mark Panetta
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought the first book had an interesting premise. This one builds on it but is was a predictable. Character does not seem very realistic. A mild mannered college professor becomes a military mastermind after encountering alien technology with a commanding knowledge of military tactics physics and diplomacy outsmarting the worlds incompetent leaders and evil alien overlords. The characters are light weight but the book is a fast read for the beach or plane ride. You know the outcome when you s ...more
Shhhhh Ahhhhh
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyable and seemingly thoughtful portrayal of the situation. I didn't expect the combat to be so devastating, which is good. I think I would have been disappointed if I hadn't been shocked. No closer to learning about the Blues, the origins of the Macros or the Nanos or what happened to the Nano fleet (since they weren't on the planet that got attacked by the Macros and the nanitized marines). I still don't trust Crow and really don't like that he took the nanite injection, since th ...more
allan graham
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hooked

This is my second series by Larson and enjoying every minute of it, lots more late night reading ahead. I like the fact the main character is not some hung ho warrior, he is human like us and makes mistakes for all the right reasons but beats himself for getting people killed
Saugat Roy
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I find Kyle Riggs irritating

The main character Kyle Riggs, to be inefficient and irritating. For a man who is supposed to be well read and a professor in computer programming, he makes mistakes which I find irritating. To me it reduces the value of this tale. Hence my 3 stars. I will still read the rest of the series just not as fast.
Rich Maloy
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Finding the first book in the series interesting, though not ground-breaking, I decided to continue on. The second book was neither bad nor good, and moved along fast enough to keep me interested. I love to read a new author's take on aliens, space travel, and world building. Larson kept my attention enough to want to move on to the next book.
MKenfield21
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Riggs' insane recklessness and failure to develop reliable subordinates are huge issues, and they make the latter half of the book a real shit-show.

But the parts that deal with gearing up and building the tech base are fun, and I hope that the problems are addressed as the series continues.
Bryan457
A good second phase to the story.
Riggs and his pigs do their first stint as slave mercenaries for the enemy.
Riggs is still a prima donna. His super-soldiers do a lot of desperate fighting, and many of them die.
dan webb
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Too Far Fetched

This author is incredibly talented but this one missed with me. I won’t go into spoilers but there were things that were skipped over and other things that just doesn’t fit. I couldn’t finish book 2.
Allen
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The time has come for humanity to pay up on a tall order. Expect a fight and meet some new worlds of aliens.
Techeon
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Didn't Finish. Just wasn't feeling it so give up.
Craig Dean
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Feels like Larson is slowly getting into it. I still find some of the caricatures distracting but the action is rewarding. The science seems inconsistent to me, but nonetheless intriguing.
Joshua Hoke
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Grrat read

An excited second book of the series. Entirely worth looking at. Though I don't think this is the most serious sci fi I think it's fun.

Jon
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
An interesting story, but just as the narrator concluded by the end of this book, the war wasn't really with the worms. It's with the Macros. On to book 3!
Missy
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
drek
Valter
Mar 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: pulp, sf-f
It is like a fast food burger: if feels ok while you eat it, it feels bad after you finish eating it, with nasty aftertaste. And you say to yourself - never again, until you get lustreless next time.
Kevin Ducharme
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read half, got bored and stopped reading... I just finished his other series so maybe I am just a little Larsoned out for now. Might come back to it later.
Stephanie
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Another exciting book. Looking forward to book 3.
Roger
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
RATING: 3.76 rounded up to 4.0

SUMMARY: In the previous book, Kyle Rigg was able to save earth, but agreeing to supply a group of troops to the robots. Now he has one year to create and train the force before they come back to pick them up and transport them to battle on a foreign planet.

COMMENTS: Follow is a copy of my comments from the Swarm, the first book in the series. The general comments applies equally to both books.

This is a hard book to decide on. On
Silas
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is really a mixed bag. I quite liked the idea of a computer programmer being particularly good at interacting with artificial intelligences. At first, I found his designing of new things interesting, though that seemed to be the only way presented of solving problems. The depiction of applications for the technologies were quite interesting, as well, and rather well thought out. Some of the main character's reactions were well-depicted, particularly his horror at having caused others t ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Starship Liberator (Galactic Liberation, #1)
  • Flagship Victory (Galactic Liberation, #3)
  • Clone World (Undying Mercenaries Series Book 12)
  • Battleship Indomitable (Galactic Liberation, #2)
  • Assault Troopers (Extinction Wars, #1)
  • The Lost Starship (Lost Starship, #1)
  • Planet Strike (Extinction Wars, #2)
  • On Silver Wings (Hayden War Cycle, #1)
  • The Lost Command (Lost Starship, #2)
  • Star Viking (Extinction Wars, #3)
  • Fortress Earth (Extinction Wars #4)
  • Renegades (Expeditionary Force, #7)
  • The Shadow Legions (Crimson Worlds, #7)
  • The Lost Colony (Lost Starship, #4)
  • Rebellion (Omega Force #11)
  • Mavericks (Expeditionary Force, #6)
  • The Lost Patrol (Lost Starship, #5)
  • The Lost Star Gate (Lost Starship, #9)
Brian Larson is an American science fiction and fantasy author

Star Force (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Swarm (Star Force, #1)
  • Rebellion (Star Force, #3)
  • Conquest (Star Force, #4)
  • Army of One (Star Force, #4.5)
  • Battle Station (Star Force, #5)
  • Empire (Star Force, #6)
  • Annihilation (Star Force, #7)
  • Storm Assault (Star Force, #8)
  • The Dead Sun (Star Force, #9)
  • Outcast (Star Force, #10)
“I wondered whose job it was to blow sunshine into my ears.” 11 likes
“Sandra followed me past the smirking maintenance man to one of the target-practice bricks.” 0 likes