Start by marking “It Takes a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
It Takes a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #1)

It Takes a Witch

(A Wishcraft Mystery #1)

Darcy Merriweather and her sister, Harper, hail from a long line of witches who have the power to grant wishes using spells. They've come to Enchanted Village in Salem, Massachusetts, to join the family business, but they soon find themselves knee deep in murder...

Until three weeks ago, Darcy and Harper were working dead-end jobs and trying to put their troubles behind
Paperback, New American Library Obsidian, 309 pages
Published January 3rd 2012 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about It Takes a Witch, please sign up.

Start your review of It Takes a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #1)
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: para-witches
Why read: ARC tour review

What impressed me: It Takes a Witch takes a fabulous new look at witches. Instead of being able to do spells off all kinds, its witches are specialized through their hereditary lines. The most interesting line in Enchanted Village is Wishcrafters, those who make peoples wishes comes true. Main character Darcy being a Wishcrafter and having to grant any statement that begins with "I wish" makes for huge possibilities for the future of this series. This novel has a double
TL
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

*Another random grab off Overdrive app*

Characters: 4 stars
Plot: 3 stars
Writing: 2.5 stars

Narrator: 4 stars
---

This was an interesting concept, with so-so execution. I did love the idea of The Enchanted Village and the different crafts each Crafter had.

I also liked how the author did the magic system for the most part and how the Craft was hereditary.. each person having a specific craft instead of everyone casting spells for anything/everything.

*SPOILER AHEAD, LOOK AT YOUR OWN RISK*

One
ᑭIᑭEᖇ⒤ᗩᗰ
This was a fun whodunnit with a delightful cast of quirky characters( Pepe the talking french mouse, a Phyllis Diller look alike!Haha!) Most of the time there is no fooling me as to who the murderer is, whether it's tv or books. The author was very smart about making many of the characters suspects which had me guessing who and why until the end. The romance is pretty much nonexistent but it's been set up for the next book, which I'm totally going to read!!
Sinn
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
I was so excited to receive this book in the mail! The "Uncorrected Proofs" got me extremely excited! It made me feel like I was finally coming into my own as a book blogger! I really, really, really wanted to like this book, especially with the nice note left by the author. Unfortunately, I could not convince myself.

Where do I start? When I started reading this book, my husband asked what I thought of it. I told him that it was obvious it was the author's first book. It needed a lot of work.
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
This book was incredibly cute/fun/light. Perfect if you're in the mood for a cozy or something amusing. It takes the witch theme and does something completely different with it. Rather than just the urban characters, the entire small town, 'Enchanted Village', is charming. Special touches are even added to each business name such as Spellbound books. People who are into a lot of magic and different elements surrounding that may be disappointed, though. To me the witch style is a bit weak that ...more
Jim
A cozy PNR mystery set in a small town that's full of secrets. Some of the secrets are dangerous, others are intriguing, & too many are just stupid ways to hurt people for no good reason. This could have been a 3 star read if not for the idiocy of some of the secrets, especially since there is a mysterious all-seeing woman who orders the place. One of the secrets leads to a lot of avoidable heart ache & even a couple of deaths, too. A reveal at the end felt like a cheap shot to me.

It was
Leya
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book should have had a disclaimer on the cover: Do not start reading before bed. It may keep you up all night. And it did, too. Once I began the book I couldn't put it down and yes I was up until 3ish this morning. I cannot complain. The book is very good. Me, on the other hand, not so much. I've been dragging my feet all day long. Yes, I'm tired but I got to read a really book.

Darcy and Harper are new to Enchanted Village and to the Craft. They go about their daily life slowly adjusting to
Maureen DeLuca
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I went with an open mind- I gave it a shot. Not for me- But, there are those who really enjoyed it- so I guess ignore my review - and read some others. To be honest , I read this for one of my book challenges- I would not have picked this book up otherwise. But, the good thing about some challenges- it can give you an 'excuse' to pick up a book you otherwise would not have. I had some "good, cute" moments- but just not enough of them!
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

With their dad passed on their aunt Velma can now let them in on the big family secret... Darcy and her sister, Harper, are Wishcrafters - witches with the power to grant wishes with a mere spell. They've come to Enchanted Village in Salem, Massachusetts, to join the family business, but they soon find themselves knee deep in murder... Strangled with Aunt Ve's scarf - and Ve's sweetheart, Sylar, is found looming over the body!

My Thoughts...

I
Anagha Uppal
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: posted
Originally posted on my blog: http://book-spark.blogspot.com
Received as part of a book tour

An enchanting beginning to a fun, cute series! When sisters Darcy and Harper are told that they are witches (Wishcrafters to be exact), their world is turned upside down – and they are slightly relieved. Darcy is still recovering from a brutal divorce and Harper has just been released from jail (her attempts at activism tend to get her in trouble).
They arrive into the quaint little town of Enchanted
LORI (Dollycas) CASWELL
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This new mystery series introduces us to Darcy and Harper Merriweather. They have come to Salem, Massachusetts and the Enchanted Village to help their Aunt Ve in the family business. You see, they come from a long line of witches, specifically Wishcrafters, they can make wishes come true. The news of their history is quite a surprise but they are going to embrace it and learn all about it with the help of Aunt Ve. The first thing they learn is that the village is inhabited by witches and mortals ...more
Mirjam
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Heather Blake's It Takes a Witch is an utterly bewitching and compulsive read. Time stood still while I was reading the book and it was only when I finished the book that I noticed it was long after midnight. On a weekday. However, It Takes a Witch is well worth sacrificing one's beauty sleep for! Heather Blake did an outstanding job creating a good plot, a charming community with big secrets, loveable characters and cute familiars. I enjoyed discovering the different crafts and the secret ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It is very rare for me to feel a debut of a new mystery series deserves a five star rating, but, in "It Takes a Witch" by Heather Blake, it easily deserved the rating.

We are introduced to two sisters that have just found out they are 'Wishcrafters' meaning Witches that can grant wishes. Of course there are rules and they must be learned and adhered to. The elder sister, Darcy Merriweather, loves her new found skills and is so excited to move to The Enchanted Village in Salem, MA. The younger
Deena
This is the third series I've tried by Heather Blake/Webber. I really enjoy the Lucy Valentine stories she writes under the name Heather Webber. But this one...

The premise is fine, I guess. But the world-building is extremely weak, poorly developed, badly explained, and implemented unreasonably. The protagonist is almost painfully stupid for much of the book, which was too long.

The "crafter" concept just didn't work for me. "Lawcrafter"? Seriously? I'm pretty good at suspending disbelief, but
Betty
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wishcraft Begins

The first in the Wishcraft paranormal mysteries. I had trouble at first getting into the story. Once I understood the story I found myself smiling throughout out the book. After the death of their father Darcy and Harper learned from their Aunt Ve that they are Wishcrafters and they moved to Salem, Massachusetts to her. They have a lot to learn and have just started when a woman is murdered and Sylar their aunt's friend is acussed of the crime. There are twists and
Melissa
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries

I really enjoyed this Cozy mystery, featuring Darcy, her Sister and other Wishcrafters and
Crafters that she knows.

Darcy gets involved solving a murder in The Enchanted Village, while starting a relationship with
a ex-cop. She also meets some interesting characters in The Enchanted Village, including pets that
were once humans..

There are some "twists and turns"...before the killer is revealed. The ending suprised me!

Im looking forward to the 2nd in this series!
Kelly
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I'm not usually a cozy mystery reader. This one was recommended to me and I loved it. It takes place in an adorable town with a great cast of characters. It was a great change of pace for me and I promptly purchased the next two in the series.
Di
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! Learning about the different types of Crafters and trying to unravel the mystery kept me intrigued. The installment tied up nicely and left on a very interesting tidbit. Definitely will be continuing with this series.

#Book1CoziesClub August Book of the Month
Kelly
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was perfect for the Halloween season and such a nice break from all the gritty murder crime books I have been reading. I am definitely going to keep up with the series.
Sydney (sydneysshelves) West
Cute little cozy mystery. Lovable characters. Magic. Small town living.
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun, fluffy cozy mystery with a touch of magic. I'll probably binge snack on these books when I'm looking for something light and entertaining :)
Ashley Ehlers
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Was originally posted on Paranormal Sisters: http://paranormalsisters.blogspot.com...

I knew from the very first chapter I was going to love It Takes a Witch!

"Usually I'm not in the habit of tiptoeing through strange houses under the cover of darkness. It was unsettling to say the least, and I felt completely out of sorts. My outfit only added to my discomfort. The flouncy, frilly pink satin bodysuit, tulle tutu, and pink ballet slippers were a far cry from my usual jeans and tee."

I was sad when
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, read-2012
Having adored Heather Webber's Lucy Valentine series, I knew It Takes a Witch under her new pen name Heather Blake would have a lot to live up to. (I'm actually am so enamored with the Lucy Valentine books that I don't want to read book three which, as it stands now, is the last book in the series.) I am pleased to report that It Takes a Witch held its own.

Whereas the Lucy Valentine books dabble in the paranormal, It Takes a Witch is fully paranormal because it centers around a community of
Book of Secrets°ღ
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book a year ago, and I'm sorry it took so long to read it. Great stuff! The blurb doesn't say much about the story, so I'll fill you in...

Recently divorced Darcy Merriweather and her younger sister Harper have just moved to Enchanted Village in Salem, Massachusetts, after the death of their father. Their Aunt Ve let them in on a little family secret - they're both Wishcrafters. They inherited the power to grant wishes from their mother who died many years ago, but their father
Between the Covers
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
REVIEWED by Chris for Between the Covers blog:

I am always looking to try new types of books. I, like everyone, have my favorite genres and authors, and there are a few genres that I just never really give a thought to. The mystery genre is one of them. So when the opportunity to review a new paranormal mystery novel called It Takes a Wish by Heather Blake came about, I couldn’t refuse. My desire to expand my reading tastes won out, and I was willing to try something that I wasn’t that versed in.
DAISY DISNEY
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a magical read! This is the first book I have read by this author and I look forward to reading the next book in this cozy series. “It Takes A Witch” was a great read.

Darcy & Harper Merriweather move into the Enchanted Village to live with their aunt Ve after their father passes away. They soon discover that they are witches also known as “Crafters”. Their mother who passed away years prior was one as well and their father was a mortal. They have the ability to grant people wishes with
April
I was not in love with this book, however, it was entertaining enough to draw me into the series. There are many intricacies of the world that take a little time to grasp. Fortunately, Darcy is new to her powers and we are learning along with her. Turns out she is a pretty decent sleuth as well.

The romance angle here is nice, but way second burner to all the murder and learning the craft stuff. There are so many interesting characters coming at you. Lots of supporting to keep track of as well as
Olga Godim
Sep 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
My first book for this author and probably my last. It was not a bad book. It just wasn’t on par with the books I usually read.
The genre fluctuates between a cozy murder mystery and a paranormal romance but never quite settles on either. Darcy, the heroine, is a 30 years old divorcee and a new witch in a tourist village in Massachusetts. Actually most village inhabitants are witches with various magical powers. Darcy just moved in a couple weeks ago. She didn’t know about her witchy heritage
Elizabeth
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
This was a bit slow going at first and then it picked up and then it was slow again and then it picked up again. Hence, the three stars instead of my usual five :-)

I was also a bit confused at times about the rules of "the craft." Let me explain... Darcy and her sister Harper have just found out that they are wishcrafters. This means if someone wishes something, they can grant that wish... except for in certain situations (which I had a hard time keeping track of). They have just moved in with
Roxanne Rhoads
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am in love with this new series.

What a wonderful addition to the cozy mystery genre, I love the touch of the paranormal added in.

Heather Blake has created a wonderful new spin on witches in Salem that is both lighthearted and serious. An all around wonderful read to get lost in.

I love mysteries like this because yes- we're dealing with murder- aren't we always? Yet the book and characters are light not all dark, dreary and scary like many paranormal and urban fantasy books are.

Darcy and her

• Secondhand Spirits (A Witchcraft Mystery, #1)
  • Brownies and Broomsticks (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #1)
  • Undeniably Yours  (Lucy Valentine, #5)
  • Hexes and Hemlines (A Witchcraft Mystery, #3)
  • A Cast-Off Coven (A Witchcraft Mystery, #2)
  • Perfectly Matched (Lucy Valentine, #4)
  • In a Witch's Wardrobe (A Witchcraft Mystery, #4)
  • A Vision in Velvet (A Witchcraft Mystery, #6)
  • Tarnished and Torn (A Witchcraft Mystery, #5)
  • Absolutely, Positively (Lucy Valentine, #3)
  • Bewitched, Bothered, and Biscotti (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine, #1)
  • Deeply, Desperately (Lucy Valentine, #2)
  • Charms and Chocolate Chips (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #3)
  • Some Enchanted Éclair (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #4)
  • Magic and Macaroons (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • A Toxic Trousseau (A Witchcraft Mystery, #8)
  • Spellcasting in Silk (A Witchcraft Mystery, #7)
Also writes as Heather Webber

Heather Blake grew up in a suburb of Boston, and enjoys going “home” in her novels. As a young mother, she tried her hand at writing novels and hasn’t looked back. Currently, Heather lives in the Cincinnati area, and is currently hard at work on her next novel.

15 Things You May Not Know About Me
1) I am completely, hopelessly addicted to Dr Pepper.
2) Three of my

A Wishcraft Mystery (9 books)
  • A Witch Before Dying (A Wishcraft Mystery, #2)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #3)
  • The Goodbye Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #4)
  • Some Like It Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #5)
  • Gone With the Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #6)
  • The Witch and the Dead (A Wishcraft Mystery #7)
  • To Catch a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery #8)
  • A Witch to Remember (A Wishcraft Mystery, #9)
“He does manage the bookstore, which is currently my favorite place on earth." Her eyes glazed over. "All those books. If I married him, I could probably work there the rest of my life. Nothing would make me happier."

"What about love?" Ve asked.

"Oh," Harper said solemnly. "I love books.”
23 likes
“I had a collar to buy, a rashy man to question, something illuminating to see, and a wombat to deliver. *” 0 likes