Jump to ratings and reviews

A Wishcraft Mystery #1

It Takes a Witch

Darcy Merriweather and her sister, Harper, hail from a long line of witches who have the power to grant wishes using spells. They've come to Enchanted Village in Salem, Massachusetts, to join the family business, but they soon find themselves knee deep in murder...

Until three weeks ago, Darcy and Harper were working dead-end jobs and trying to put their troubles behind them. Then their aunt Velma delivered a bombshell: They're actually Wishcrafters - witches with the power to grant wishes with a mere spell. Wanting a fresh start, they head to their aunt's magic-themed tourist town to master their newfound skills.

But their magic fails them when a wannabe witch turns up dead - strangled with Aunt Ve's scarf - and Ve's sweetheart, Sylar, is found looming over the body. Ve is standing by her man, but Darcy overheard Skylar wish that the victim would disappear - forever. With Harper distracted by her handsome new crush, Darcy is determined to sleuth her way to the truth. But it'll take more than a wish to unravel this mystery....

299 pages, Paperback

First published January 3, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Heather Blake

14 books1,617 followers
Also writes as Heather Webber

Heather loves to read, drink too much coffee and tea, birdwatch, crochet, and bake. She currently lives near Cincinnati, Ohio, and is hard at work on her next book.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
355 (4%)
1 star
129 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 794 reviews
Profile Image for Jennifer.
939 reviews79 followers
January 4, 2012
Why read: ARC tour review

What impressed me: It Takes a Witch takes a fabulous new look at witches. Instead of being able to do spells off all kinds, its witches are specialized through their hereditary lines. The most interesting line in Enchanted Village is Wishcrafters, those who make peoples wishes comes true. Main character Darcy being a Wishcrafter and having to grant any statement that begins with "I wish" makes for huge possibilities for the future of this series. This novel has a double mystery, neither of which I foresaw the resolution to. And the familiars! And the love interest! And the surprise twist ending! I could go on and on. It Takes a Witch just wowed me.

What disappointed me: Not a thing. An absolutely perfect series starter.

Recommended: Most definitely. Paranormal cozy mystery fans will fall in love with Darcy Merriweather and Enchanted Village.

Continue series: Good lord, yes. You couldn't stop me if you tried.
Profile Image for TL .
1,764 reviews35 followers
December 29, 2017

*Another random grab off Overdrive app*

Characters: 4 stars
Plot: 3 stars
Writing: 2.5 stars

Narrator: 4 stars
---

This was an interesting concept, with so-so execution. I did love the idea of The Enchanted Village and the different crafts each Crafter had.

I also liked how the author did the magic system for the most part and how the Craft was hereditary.. each person having a specific craft instead of everyone casting spells for anything/everything.

*SPOILER AHEAD, LOOK AT YOUR OWN RISK*

One part that didn't sit well with me was

The mystery of the murder and the culprit didn't pull me in for the most part, I was curious enough to see who did it and why but otherwise I wasn't really invested. I kept going with the book because I fell in love with the village and its inhabitants.

Favorites besides the MC and her sister:
Ve
Mrs. P
Mimi
Evan
Starla

When the killer was revealed, it WAS a surprise but I felt... nothing. Well... a bit except it was more of "Oh, that's who it was." type of reaction. The motive made sense but it felt like (to me) that it came out of left field, so to speak.

I wanted to smack Darcy at one point when she discovered a certain clue and went after it herself. Felt like it was put there for drama's sake.

A couple surprises came late in the game... and have me very intrigued, specially the latter. (Although I don't get all the secrecy surrounding the one point completely... hopefully it isn't dangled for too long).

All in all, very creative, with a few issues... I am interested enough to continue with the series. We'll see how it goes :).
Profile Image for ᑭIᑭEᖇ⒤ᗩᗰ.
59 reviews17 followers
March 5, 2017
This was a fun whodunnit with a delightful cast of quirky characters( Pepe the talking french mouse, a Phyllis Diller look alike!Haha!) Most of the time there is no fooling me as to who the murderer is, whether it's tv or books. The author was very smart about making many of the characters suspects which had me guessing who and why until the end. The romance is pretty much nonexistent but it's been set up for the next book, which I'm totally going to read!!
Profile Image for Sinn.
170 reviews34 followers
January 19, 2012
I was so excited to receive this book in the mail! The "Uncorrected Proofs" got me extremely excited! It made me feel like I was finally coming into my own as a book blogger! I really, really, really wanted to like this book, especially with the nice note left by the author. Unfortunately, I could not convince myself.

Where do I start? When I started reading this book, my husband asked what I thought of it. I told him that it was obvious it was the author's first book. It needed a lot of work. The author, while having an interesting story idea, needed to mature into her craft. After that, I found out the author has written several books. Oh wow . . .

First of all, I found Darcy and Harper's last name to be way too cliche. I could see it as a cute touch to a first time author, but it really annoyed me. Also, when a pickpocket was mentioned at the village meeting, Darcy was quick to jump to the conclusion that her sister was responsible. However, the audience is told that Harper only did crimes related to activism. That being the case, why does Darcy automatically assume her sister is stealing money from tourists? And that brings up the Enchanted Village . . . I cannot put my finger on it, but it felt too contrived.

The residents and business owners in the Enchanted Village are concerned about the pickpocket and the fact that it was driving tourists away. However, the murder had no effect on them. Does this seem weird? In addition, the residents didn't seem to be phased by the fact that someone was strangled behind the local bookstore. It was more of a novelty and something to titter about around the green. To a point I can see the gossip, but the author pushed it to an unbelievable point.

Multiple times Darcy and other people break into the victim's house/place of business. On the first occasion, it was to stop a thief. Unfortunately, the thief disappears into thin air, which leaves Darcy and her accomplice on the scene of a crime. Does this strike the cops as weird . . .? And, if this isn't enough, Darcy constantly tells the audience that she frowns upon breaking laws; however, since it was fine to break in once, she breaks in AGAIN!

Almost every chapter ends with a cliffhanger. The following chapter picks up sometime after the cliffhanger and barely comes back to it. While I understand a few cliffhangers, constantly doing it is a sign of an immature writer. It felt as though she was doing it in an effort to keep the readers reading.

And, to add insult of injury, the characters in the book honestly believe that an allergic reaction is CONTAGIOUS!

There are many more issues I had with the book, but going into all of them would be overkill. To distill it down, I really did not enjoy this book. The idea was a creative one; however, it was not implemented properly. Normally, I would have given the author a lot of grace if this was her first book. It can take awhile for an author to mature into their craft. However, since she has many books out, there is no excuse. I'm sorry to give a low rating. The only thing that kept this book from getting one skull was the fact that I was curious who murdered Alex.
Profile Image for Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*.
2,376 reviews1,050 followers
January 27, 2016
This book was incredibly cute/fun/light. Perfect if you're in the mood for a cozy or something amusing. It takes the witch theme and does something completely different with it. Rather than just the urban characters, the entire small town, 'Enchanted Village', is charming. Special touches are even added to each business name such as Spellbound books. People who are into a lot of magic and different elements surrounding that may be disappointed, though. To me the witch style is a bit weak that the main character possesses. In this world there are different types of crafters.

It rocks humor without having to try hard and the characters are likeable. The heroine Darcy has some realistic hangups and flaws, while the love interest of the story, Nick, is serious and yummy. From charming to chuckle-inducing, it's the entire town and their interactions which really makes the book have a sparkle.

Who the murderer is was a surprise to a degree (I guessed it before it was revealed, but only at the end), and the clues and lead-up are good for mystery buffs searching for a puzzle worth solving. As is usual with cozies, the violence level isn't high, gore not there in any way (unless you count disgusting, suspicious rashes!) Pacing is evenly applied, and the writing style holds its own charm.

I do have to wonder if this is an error though and if the writer meant homemade soap, not candles:

"..just about drove Troy nuts when he came home to find the hall mirror suddenly turned into mosaic of the house stinking of lye because I'd try to make homemade candles.."

It was a nice surprise for the emphasis in reading and love of books to be heavy. The heroine's sister, Harper, another fun quirky type, emphasizes throughout the novel how much she loves books. Found this part particularly cute:

"He does manage the bookstore, which is currently my favorite place on earth." Her eyes glazed over. "All those books. If I married him, I could probably work there the rest of my life. Nothing would make me happier."

"What about love?" Ve asked.

"Oh," Harper said solemnly. "I love books."

Overall I'm itching for more of this series and will definitely continue it. It's not the best magic/witch book I've read, but it's charm makes an incredible cozy mystery.
Profile Image for Jim.
Author 6 books2,014 followers
January 17, 2019
A cozy PNR mystery set in a small town that's full of secrets. Some of the secrets are dangerous, others are intriguing, & too many are just stupid ways to hurt people for no good reason. This could have been a 3 star read if not for the idiocy of some of the secrets, especially since there is a mysterious all-seeing woman who orders the place. One of the secrets leads to a lot of avoidable heart ache & even a couple of deaths, too. A reveal at the end felt like a cheap shot to me.

It was a pretty good mystery with interesting characters, though. The magical system is unique & was pretty interesting. I liked the issues with the potions & how complex many of the characters were. Still, I won't be reading another, but I think my daughter will like this series.
Profile Image for Aly.
2,461 reviews
October 12, 2020
This book is my definition of a cute, cozy mystery. It has a murder, romance, sometimes annoying family members, and a dog. All the perfect components, plus a bonus of witches that can grant wishes. It wasn't long and kept a good pace. I thought the characters were cute and I'm rooting for Darcy and Nick!

The caster rules are a bit confusing, you must grant any wish? Even ones that can cause big problems? But you can't grant other casters wishes or encourage someone to wish something in any way. I didn't think it totally made sense, but it was still an interesting idea.

The romance was a slow burn, but sweet and has a lot of potential for a full blown relationship. Nick seems like a good guy and Darcy has the beginnings of a nice mentor role to Mimi.
Profile Image for ✨ Gramy ✨ .
1,382 reviews
January 5, 2022
I really enjoy a cozy mystery with a good plot and quirky characters.

This one delivers just what I ordered. Nothing serious, complicated, or too intense.

Each book i the series has its own murder to solve and characters to get to know.

I was able to access this book series on my Kindle at no charge through my local public library.

And they all end with a H.E.A.
Profile Image for Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer.
1,512 reviews5 followers
March 1, 2019
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

With their dad passed on their aunt Velma can now let them in on the big family secret... Darcy and her sister, Harper, are Wishcrafters - witches with the power to grant wishes with a mere spell. They've come to Enchanted Village in Salem, Massachusetts, to join the family business, but they soon find themselves knee deep in murder... Strangled with Aunt Ve's scarf - and Ve's sweetheart, Sylar, is found looming over the body!

My Thoughts...

I read this thanks to my writing partner who found the world of It Takes a Witch to be really creative... she knows that I can totally go for incredible world building and I found the crafter world so, so fun!! I just loved how there were different types of witches, a ton of rules to follow and they weren't allowed to share what they were on pain of being kicked out sans powers.

The mystery to me took a total back seat to the world... I love that the witches had familiars and now I'm really jonezing to take a vacation to the Enchanted Village in Salem (it exists I hope!) While the murder in It Takes a Witch wasn't my top priority it was a decent little case, especially how the pick pocket came into the story, as well as Harper's romance. It was really fun meeting the other residents and wondering if they are involved since the victim was such a nasty piece of work...

Darcy made for a slightly bumbling if earnest witch who also wanted her aunt to be happy... and not with a murderer. I could sympathize with where she is at in life and the little romance with the new temporary sheriff was super fun! I love when a child is involved with the romance. It Takes a Witch is seriously fun and a great cozy mystery where you want to live in the world while the case is being solved.

Cover & Title grade -> B-

I'm not attracted to these covers at all. They ARE classic cozy mystery covers though and at least the entire series matches! It's just not attractive to me...

As a Writer...

The allure of a cozy mystery isn't really the mystery even though fans DO want a decent case with twists, red herrings and a merry chase. It's totally the world. We want to meet charming townsfolk and visit quaint areas that we can envision living in ourselves if we were an amateur sleuth! With the paranormal aspect to this cozy mystery we add the super sparkles and the creatures that are bound to exist when there is magic abound in the world... it adds a bit of charm to the setting and the characters.

It Takes a Witch is a super fun and charming witch filled world with sisters, magic wishes, crafters, animal familiars and a small town feel that desperately needs a new sheriff and his daughter to spice things up!

⋆ ⋆ ⭐⭐⭐ Authenticity
⋆ ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Writing Style
⋆ ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Plot & Pacing
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ World Building

______________________
You can find this review and many others on my book blog @ Perspective of a Writer. See my special perspective at the bottom of my reviews under the typewriter...

Please like this review if you enjoyed it! *bow* *bow* It helps me out a ton!!
Profile Image for Leya.
466 reviews7 followers
February 13, 2013
This book should have had a disclaimer on the cover: Do not start reading before bed. It may keep you up all night. And it did, too. Once I began the book I couldn't put it down and yes I was up until 3ish this morning. I cannot complain. The book is very good. Me, on the other hand, not so much. I've been dragging my feet all day long. Yes, I'm tired but I got to read a really book.

Darcy and Harper are new to Enchanted Village and to the Craft. They go about their daily life slowly adjusting to a new place and their gift, they're learning the rules and secrecy of having this gift. Along the way they meet interesting people and I got a feeling that this series entourage with be awesome. The main character, Darcy, is very likable, she's going through an adjustment period her life, she's newly divorced and she's sworn off man. Until she meets Nick. He too has some issues, he's a single dad raising a daughter. Oh yeah, they're attracted to each other, and I just know that the author will stretch this romance for a few books. Hehehe. There are a bunch of other interesting people, Evan and Starla, Aunt Ve, Pepe, Mrs P, and Arthur. The mystery itself was a very well written. I truly could not guess who could have killed Alex. It seemed like the list a growing constantly. And I was very surprised on who the murderer was.
Profile Image for Maureen DeLuca.
1,013 reviews32 followers
January 11, 2017
I went with an open mind- I gave it a shot. Not for me- But, there are those who really enjoyed it- so I guess ignore my review - and read some others. To be honest , I read this for one of my book challenges- I would not have picked this book up otherwise. But, the good thing about some challenges- it can give you an 'excuse' to pick up a book you otherwise would not have. I had some "good, cute" moments- but just not enough of them!
Profile Image for Deena.
1,335 reviews7 followers
April 17, 2012
This is the third series I've tried by Heather Blake/Webber. I really enjoy the Lucy Valentine stories she writes under the name Heather Webber. But this one...

The premise is fine, I guess. But the world-building is extremely weak, poorly developed, badly explained, and implemented unreasonably. The protagonist is almost painfully stupid for much of the book, which was too long.

The "crafter" concept just didn't work for me. "Lawcrafter"? Seriously? I'm pretty good at suspending disbelief, but the whole thing was just too weak and flimsy for me to handle.

I doubt I'll bother with the second one; this one was just disappointing.
Profile Image for Emmalynn.
835 reviews12 followers
July 7, 2022
That was between a 3.5-4 stars. I like the idea of the book but certain parts I wasn’t sure on the execution. Overall, it was a good read. This first book was about world building with a murder thrown in. The author explained how the craft worked (hereditary); how it could be lost, and the specific crafts each person may inherit. Certain parts just didn’t work for me, but overall it’s a good(ish) first in series
Profile Image for Amber.
990 reviews35 followers
February 13, 2022
another cozy mystery must read!!

In my book club a member recommended this series and they were right on the money on this one!! Soo good and cute cozy mysteries!
Profile Image for Anagha Uppal.
185 reviews58 followers
January 4, 2012
Originally posted on my blog: http://book-spark.blogspot.com
Received as part of a book tour

An enchanting beginning to a fun, cute series! When sisters Darcy and Harper are told that they are witches (Wishcrafters to be exact), their world is turned upside down – and they are slightly relieved. Darcy is still recovering from a brutal divorce and Harper has just been released from jail (her attempts at activism tend to get her in trouble).
They arrive into the quaint little town of Enchanted Village that seems harmless on the outside. They’ve only been here two weeks when the sudden murder of Alexandra Shively rocks the town. Even more, the girls’ aunt’s sweetheart is accused when he is found leaning over the body. Everyone is convinced he’s as dangerous as a big teddy bear -couldn’t hurt a fly. Or is he so harmless?
With her sister Harper falling for the bookstore owner and her aunt beside herself with worry, it’s up to Darcy to solve this mystery. And the private detective on the case she somehow keeps bumping into isn’t such a bad incentive either…

I loved the intimate atmosphere of the book and its setting. What a fun place to live in! The former location of the Salem Witch Trials, witchcraft is widely practiced but is hidden under the guise of commercialism for tourists. How cool would it be to live in a place where everyone knows each other and the Crafters run charming stores. The Wishcrafters run As You Wish, where you can order just about any job done. The Bakecrafter runs Gingerbread Shack filled with delectable sweets and you-can’t-stop-after-one mini-treats. The Curecrafter is a highly recommended doctor. The Cloakcrafter has awesome dresses. And the tourists don’t have a clue about the magic. It’s the perfect haven.

And the characters are what make it such a cool place. It’s a little difficult to keep them straight – there are a LOT of characters and you’re introduced to many in the first chapter which was hard to keep up, but once you start to get to know them, they’re easy to like. I love how they are all so accepting. Starla starts making plans to go jogging together after one conversation with Darcy. Darcy is so worried she goes to check up on Evan a day after she meets him (he’s not the love interest, don’t worry!) They’re all just so sweet!

The romance was just okay. I can’t explain it but it wasn’t the kind of couple you would find yourself rooting for. The book provided plenty of twists and nice page-turning mystery, but there was always this underlying “happy” atmosphere that most reminded me of the show Hart of Dixie (yes, I watch that sometimes ;)
Profile Image for LORI CASWELL.
2,349 reviews268 followers
January 16, 2016
This new mystery series introduces us to Darcy and Harper Merriweather. They have come to Salem, Massachusetts and the Enchanted Village to help their Aunt Ve in the family business. You see, they come from a long line of witches, specifically Wishcrafters, they can make wishes come true. The news of their history is quite a surprise but they are going to embrace it and learn all about it with the help of Aunt Ve. The first thing they learn is that the village is inhabited by witches and mortals and telling who’s who is not an easy task.

Shortly after arriving in the village a mortal that wants to be a witch is strangled with dear Aunt Ve’s scarf. The body is found by Aunt Ve’s sweetheart, Sylar, and he ends up being accused of the crime. Ve believes he didn’t do it and the girls would do anything for their aunt. Unfortunately you can’t just wish for the truth to appear. In fact there is a whole manual on Wishcrafting and there are so many rules. So Darcy starts by doing some old fashioned detective work, a little breaking and entering, and some eavesdropping to put all the clues together. Who knew magic could be so much work?

Dollycas’s Thoughts
I wish this story never ended or that the next one was in my hands today. This is a fun little mystery and a really delightful story. Murder, magic, mystery, they just naturally go together. A little romance adds to the fun.

The Enchanted Village is truly a magical place, full of whimsical characters. A place where wishes come true and spells are cast. A place where the familiar becomes extraordinary. A place I would love to visit often. I wish I could go there now. Sadly, no Wishcrafters around here today, but A Witch Before Dying will be out in August. I will just have to wait. Until then you can enjoy It Takes a Witch: A Wishcraft Mystery. It is just the book you have been wishing for.
Profile Image for Melliane.
2,002 reviews340 followers
March 11, 2020
3.5/5

Mon avis en Français

M English review

Right now, I’m in a paranormal cozy phase and I’ve had a few volumes of this series for years, so I started with curiosity this first volume.

Harper and Darcy left their old lives to move in with their aunt. It’s a new beginning, especially since they’re learning at the same time that they’re actually witches! More precisely, they can grant wishes, but it is not always easy. But when a woman is murdered in town and no one knows what happened, things go wrong. Their aunt’s boyfriend is suspected, and Darcy is determined to understand what happened. Yet the truth could reveal many secrets. In addition to manage her powers, our heroine will also have to understand what she wants to do with the handsome and charming Nick.

It was a nice novel, maybe a little less rhythmic than I expected, but it was nice to discover Darcy. There are still a lot of things in the shadows, but I have volumes 2 and 3, so I would be happy to discover if the author presents us a little more about the past of the characters.

A nice cozy story.
Profile Image for Kat San Andres.
294 reviews5 followers
October 29, 2022
4.25 stars.

The Good Witch meets I Dream of Genie!

A very charming first book in the series. The Magic system is quite complex, but I still managed to enjoy the story even with all the intricate magic rules.

I absolutely adored all the animals characters throughout the book, and will definitely continue with the series.
Profile Image for Annu.
195 reviews31 followers
April 15, 2021
This was such a cute cozy. The characters were definitely appealing. Darcy comes to the enchanted village to discover that she's a witch and she finds out the rules of her craft, which are quite a bit and a little confusing at times. But it definitely added to some good comedy. The mystery was done well and there was so much going on in Darcy's life, every chapter is packed with so much life that the book flew by so fast. We get to see some really quirky characters in this story, such as the familiars. Overall, this was an enjoyable read.
Profile Image for Kira.
685 reviews21 followers
September 14, 2022
I don't read many witchcraft books, which is to say I pretty much avoid them completely but this one had my attention right from the first time I read the blurb.

It Takes a Witch had a huge character list and they were enjoyable as a whole. The whole whodunit mystery was intriguing and the suspiscion shifted several times to different characters throughout the book which kept me on the edge.

I won't say this is a romance book though because the little romantic element that existed in this book seemed misplaced and not needed honestly. It worked great as a cozy mystery but anything more than that is wishful thinking.
Profile Image for Diana | Book of Secrets.
766 reviews556 followers
February 1, 2013
I bought this book a year ago, and I'm sorry it took so long to read it. Great stuff! The blurb doesn't say much about the story, so I'll fill you in...

Recently divorced Darcy Merriweather and her younger sister Harper have just moved to Enchanted Village in Salem, Massachusetts, after the death of their father. Their Aunt Ve let them in on a little family secret - they're both Wishcrafters. They inherited the power to grant wishes from their mother who died many years ago, but their father didn't want them practicing witchcraft while he was alive. Now Darcy and Harper are living with Aunt Ve in the Enchanted Village, learning about their heritage and new found powers.

A town meeting is called to address the theft problem in the village. There's a pickpocket on the loose, and business owners are concerned the crime spree will scare away the tourists. At the meeting, Darcy is introduced to several town residents, both magical and mortal (though she's not sure who's a crafter and who's not). She also meets the very handsome and charming Nick Sawyer, a former military man and police officer hired to catch the thief.

The meeting takes an ugly turn when a wannabe witch is murdered in the alley behind the bookstore, and Aunt Ve's boyfriend Sylar is found hovering over the body. Sylar is arrested, though the evidence against him is weak, and of course, Aunt Ve is distraught.

Darcy can't believe that her aunt's kind and lovable beau is a killer, so she does some investigating of her own. She finds out that the victim had more enemies than you could shake a wand at, and the town is full of juicy secrets.

What I loved:

The setting: I loved the Enchanted Village with its many magical-themed shops. The town had a very cozy feel - it's a place I'd love to visit.

The intriguing characters: The book had a large cast of characters, but each of them was unique and easy to remember. I liked how the village was home to many different types of crafters and familiars, all with different kinds of magical talents.

The well-constructed mystery: This was not an easy one to figure out (which I love). There were plenty of possible suspects and plot twists to keep me guessing. Darcy was a very clever sleuth!

The budding romance: I love cozy mysteries with a hint of romance, and Darcy & Nick's is setting up to be a good one, though they have some obstacles to overcome first.

The fantastic twist revealed on the last page: Read it and find out what it is. ;-)

What I didn't love:

The magical secrets: For some reason, Aunt Ve wouldn't share a lot of info regarding the craft with Darcy and Harper. A lot of stuff they had to figure out on their own, which didn't make sense. Aunt Ve should be teaching them not keeping them in the dark.

Overall, this book was a captivating beginning to the Wishcraft Mystery series, and I can't wait to read more!
Profile Image for Jeannie and Louis Rigod.
1,976 reviews29 followers
December 28, 2011
It is very rare for me to feel a debut of a new mystery series deserves a five star rating, but, in "It Takes a Witch" by Heather Blake, it easily deserved the rating.

We are introduced to two sisters that have just found out they are 'Wishcrafters' meaning Witches that can grant wishes. Of course there are rules and they must be learned and adhered to. The elder sister, Darcy Merriweather, loves her new found skills and is so excited to move to The Enchanted Village in Salem, MA. The younger sister, Harper is happy working in a bookstore. This feels quite realistic as I would imagine being a true witch wouldn't be for everyone.

Darcy and Harper become involved in a murder of a wannabee witch, Alex when their Aunt's gentleman friend is accused of the murder.

Many delightful pages are spent letting us learn about the characters in the village and the sometimes humor involved in being a wishcrafter!

A sprinkle of romance and this book was a complete joy to read. I can hardly wait until the high summer to read the next novel.
Profile Image for Betty.
2,006 reviews50 followers
March 29, 2015
Wishcraft Begins

The first in the Wishcraft paranormal mysteries. I had trouble at first getting into the story. Once I understood the story I found myself smiling throughout out the book. After the death of their father Darcy and Harper learned from their Aunt Ve that they are Wishcrafters and they moved to Salem, Massachusetts to her. They have a lot to learn and have just started when a woman is murdered and Sylar their aunt's friend is acussed of the crime. There are twists and turns,throughout as Darcy learned a about the Enchanted Village. The ending had me smillingq
Profile Image for Di.
421 reviews30 followers
August 16, 2016
I really enjoyed this! Learning about the different types of Crafters and trying to unravel the mystery kept me intrigued. The installment tied up nicely and left on a very interesting tidbit. Definitely will be continuing with this series.

#Book1CoziesClub August Book of the Month
Profile Image for Molane.
95 reviews
August 24, 2014
The description "cozy mystery" fits this genre perfectly. I loved this little story and it made me want to read all the following parts.
Not too cheesy but still a hint of romance, nicely written.
Definitely recommending this book.
Profile Image for Kelly.
798 reviews32 followers
September 9, 2018
I'm not usually a cozy mystery reader. This one was recommended to me and I loved it. It takes place in an adorable town with a great cast of characters. It was a great change of pace for me and I promptly purchased the next two in the series.
Profile Image for Deanie Nelder.
1,131 reviews12 followers
October 10, 2020
Actually 3.5 stars. A cute cozy mystery.

Sisters Darcy and Harper Merriweather were raised as mortals after the death of their witch mother, and never knew they had powers until their Aunt Velma told them they were Wishcrafters, witches with the power (and often obligation) to grant wishes. Now they're living in the magical themed Enchanted Village near Salem, Massachusetts, learning about their magical heritage and abilities. But when their aunt's boyfriend is accused of murder, Darcy finds herself helping the investigation along.

It Takes a Witch has a unique way of looking at magic, with witches as different kinds of Crafters (Wishcrafters, Lawcrafters, Vaporcrafters). It's not explained terribly well in the beginning, which I think is intentional, since Darcy doesn't know much about magic at first. Still, it's a little confusing. Her sister, Harper, is barely in the story. I like the chemistry she has with investigator Nick, and Nick's daughter is adorable. Also, the pets/possible familiars are fun too. All in all, a promising start for a new series.
Profile Image for Kelly.
332 reviews12 followers
October 25, 2017
I really enjoyed this book. It was perfect for the Halloween season and such a nice break from all the gritty murder crime books I have been reading. I am definitely going to keep up with the series.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 794 reviews