Start by marking “It Takes a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
It Takes a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #1)

It Takes a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery #1)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  5,397 Ratings  ·  597 Reviews
Darcy Merriweather and her sister, Harper, hail from a long line of witches who have the power to grant wishes using spells. They've come to Enchanted Village in Salem, Massachusetts, to join the family business, but they soon find themselves knee deep in murder...

Until three weeks ago, Darcy and Harper were working dead-end jobs and trying to put their troubles behind the
Paperback, New American Library Obsidian, 309 pages
Published January 3rd 2012 by Penguin

Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: para-witches
Why read: ARC tour review

What impressed me: It Takes a Witch takes a fabulous new look at witches. Instead of being able to do spells off all kinds, its witches are specialized through their hereditary lines. The most interesting line in Enchanted Village is Wishcrafters, those who make peoples wishes comes true. Main character Darcy being a Wishcrafter and having to grant any statement that begins with "I wish" makes for huge possibilities for the future of this series. This novel has a double
TL
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

*Another random grab off Overdrive app*

Characters: 4 stars
Plot: 3 stars
Writing: 2.5 stars

Narrator: 4 stars
---

This was an interesting concept, with so-so execution. I did love the idea of The Enchanted Village and the different crafts each Crafter had.

I also liked how the author did the magic system for the most part and how the Craft was hereditary.. each person having a specific craft instead of everyone casting spells for anything/everything.

*SPOILER AHEAD, LOOK AT YOUR OWN RISK*

One
ᑭIᑭEᖇ⒤ᗩᗰ
This was a fun whodunnit with a delightful cast of quirky characters( Pepe the talking french mouse, a Phyllis Diller look alike!Haha!) Most of the time there is no fooling me as to who the murderer is, whether it's tv or books. The author was very smart about making many of the characters suspects which had me guessing who and why until the end. The romance is pretty much nonexistent but it's been set up for the next book, which I'm totally going to read!!
Sinn
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
I was so excited to receive this book in the mail! The "Uncorrected Proofs" got me extremely excited! It made me feel like I was finally coming into my own as a book blogger! I really, really, really wanted to like this book, especially with the nice note left by the author. Unfortunately, I could not convince myself.

Where do I start? When I started reading this book, my husband asked what I thought of it. I told him that it was obvious it was the author's first book. It needed a lot of work. Th
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
This book was incredibly cute/fun/light. Perfect if you're in the mood for a cozy or something amusing. It takes the witch theme and does something completely different with it. Rather than just the urban characters, the entire small town, 'Enchanted Village', is charming. Special touches are even added to each business name such as Spellbound books. People who are into a lot of magic and different elements surrounding that may be disappointed, though. To me the witch style is a bit weak that th ...more
Leya
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book should have had a disclaimer on the cover: Do not start reading before bed. It may keep you up all night. And it did, too. Once I began the book I couldn't put it down and yes I was up until 3ish this morning. I cannot complain. The book is very good. Me, on the other hand, not so much. I've been dragging my feet all day long. Yes, I'm tired but I got to read a really book.

Darcy and Harper are new to Enchanted Village and to the Craft. They go about their daily life slowly adjusting to
Maureen DeLuca
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I went with an open mind- I gave it a shot. Not for me- But, there are those who really enjoyed it- so I guess ignore my review - and read some others. To be honest , I read this for one of my book challenges- I would not have picked this book up otherwise. But, the good thing about some challenges- it can give you an 'excuse' to pick up a book you otherwise would not have. I had some "good, cute" moments- but just not enough of them!
Anagha Uppal
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: posted
Originally posted on my blog: http://book-spark.blogspot.com
Received as part of a book tour

An enchanting beginning to a fun, cute series! When sisters Darcy and Harper are told that they are witches (Wishcrafters to be exact), their world is turned upside down – and they are slightly relieved. Darcy is still recovering from a brutal divorce and Harper has just been released from jail (her attempts at activism tend to get her in trouble).
They arrive into the quaint little town of Enchanted Villag
LORI CASWELL
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This new mystery series introduces us to Darcy and Harper Merriweather. They have come to Salem, Massachusetts and the Enchanted Village to help their Aunt Ve in the family business. You see, they come from a long line of witches, specifically Wishcrafters, they can make wishes come true. The news of their history is quite a surprise but they are going to embrace it and learn all about it with the help of Aunt Ve. The first thing they learn is that the village is inhabited by witches and mortals ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It is very rare for me to feel a debut of a new mystery series deserves a five star rating, but, in "It Takes a Witch" by Heather Blake, it easily deserved the rating.

We are introduced to two sisters that have just found out they are 'Wishcrafters' meaning Witches that can grant wishes. Of course there are rules and they must be learned and adhered to. The elder sister, Darcy Merriweather, loves her new found skills and is so excited to move to The Enchanted Village in Salem, MA. The younger sis
Mirjam
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Heather Blake's It Takes a Witch is an utterly bewitching and compulsive read. Time stood still while I was reading the book and it was only when I finished the book that I noticed it was long after midnight. On a weekday. However, It Takes a Witch is well worth sacrificing one's beauty sleep for! Heather Blake did an outstanding job creating a good plot, a charming community with big secrets, loveable characters and cute familiars. I enjoyed discovering the different crafts and the secret craft ...more
Deena
This is the third series I've tried by Heather Blake/Webber. I really enjoy the Lucy Valentine stories she writes under the name Heather Webber. But this one...

The premise is fine, I guess. But the world-building is extremely weak, poorly developed, badly explained, and implemented unreasonably. The protagonist is almost painfully stupid for much of the book, which was too long.

The "crafter" concept just didn't work for me. "Lawcrafter"? Seriously? I'm pretty good at suspending disbelief, but t
Betty
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wishcraft Begins

The first in the Wishcraft paranormal mysteries. I had trouble at first getting into the story. Once I understood the story I found myself smiling throughout out the book. After the death of their father Darcy and Harper learned from their Aunt Ve that they are Wishcrafters and they moved to Salem, Massachusetts to her. They have a lot to learn and have just started when a woman is murdered and Sylar their aunt's friend is acussed of the crime. There are twists and turns,througho
Melissa
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries

I really enjoyed this Cozy mystery, featuring Darcy, her Sister and other Wishcrafters and
Crafters that she knows.

Darcy gets involved solving a murder in The Enchanted Village, while starting a relationship with
a ex-cop. She also meets some interesting characters in The Enchanted Village, including pets that
were once humans..

There are some "twists and turns"...before the killer is revealed. The ending suprised me!

Im looking forward to the 2nd in this series!
Di
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! Learning about the different types of Crafters and trying to unravel the mystery kept me intrigued. The installment tied up nicely and left on a very interesting tidbit. Definitely will be continuing with this series.

#Book1CoziesClub August Book of the Month
Kelly
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was perfect for the Halloween season and such a nice break from all the gritty murder crime books I have been reading. I am definitely going to keep up with the series.
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun, fluffy cozy mystery with a touch of magic. I'll probably binge snack on these books when I'm looking for something light and entertaining :)
Ashley Ehlers
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Was originally posted on Paranormal Sisters: http://paranormalsisters.blogspot.com...

I knew from the very first chapter I was going to love It Takes a Witch!

"Usually I'm not in the habit of tiptoeing through strange houses under the cover of darkness. It was unsettling to say the least, and I felt completely out of sorts. My outfit only added to my discomfort. The flouncy, frilly pink satin bodysuit, tulle tutu, and pink ballet slippers were a far cry from my usual jeans and tee."

I was sad when
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, read-2012
Having adored Heather Webber's Lucy Valentine series, I knew It Takes a Witch under her new pen name Heather Blake would have a lot to live up to. (I'm actually am so enamored with the Lucy Valentine books that I don't want to read book three which, as it stands now, is the last book in the series.) I am pleased to report that It Takes a Witch held its own.

Whereas the Lucy Valentine books dabble in the paranormal, It Takes a Witch is fully paranormal because it centers around a community of Craf
Between the Covers
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
REVIEWED by Chris for Between the Covers blog:

I am always looking to try new types of books. I, like everyone, have my favorite genres and authors, and there are a few genres that I just never really give a thought to. The mystery genre is one of them. So when the opportunity to review a new paranormal mystery novel called It Takes a Wish by Heather Blake came about, I couldn’t refuse. My desire to expand my reading tastes won out, and I was willing to try something that I wasn’t that versed in.
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
What a magical read! This is the first book I have read by this author and I look forward to reading the next book in this cozy series. “It Takes A Witch” was a great read.

Darcy & Harper Merriweather move into the Enchanted Village to live with their aunt Ve after their father passes away. They soon discover that they are witches also known as “Crafters”. Their mother who passed away years prior was one as well and their father was a mortal. They have the ability to grant people wishes with
Olga Godim
Sep 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
My first book for this author and probably my last. It was not a bad book. It just wasn’t on par with the books I usually read.
The genre fluctuates between a cozy murder mystery and a paranormal romance but never quite settles on either. Darcy, the heroine, is a 30 years old divorcee and a new witch in a tourist village in Massachusetts. Actually most village inhabitants are witches with various magical powers. Darcy just moved in a couple weeks ago. She didn’t know about her witchy heritage be
April
I was not in love with this book, however, it was entertaining enough to draw me into the series. There are many intricacies of the world that take a little time to grasp. Fortunately, Darcy is new to her powers and we are learning along with her. Turns out she is a pretty decent sleuth as well.

The romance angle here is nice, but way second burner to all the murder and learning the craft stuff. There are so many interesting characters coming at you. Lots of supporting to keep track of as well as
Elizabeth
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
This was a bit slow going at first and then it picked up and then it was slow again and then it picked up again. Hence, the three stars instead of my usual five :-)

I was also a bit confused at times about the rules of "the craft." Let me explain... Darcy and her sister Harper have just found out that they are wishcrafters. This means if someone wishes something, they can grant that wish... except for in certain situations (which I had a hard time keeping track of). They have just moved in with t
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.25/5; 3 stars; B

I've never read anything by this author so didn't know what to expect. This mystery books falls into the 'cozy mystery' category which is something I'm not always in the mood for. In this case, I was. Darcy Merriweather was a great character as the 'lead' in this story; smart, kind-hearted, curious, humble and funny in a self-deprecating way. I enjoyed her and the other characters in the town.

Colleen Marlo was the narrator for this story. She did a pretty good job. Her accent
Keri
Oct 15, 2011 rated it liked it
This a cute new cozy series by Heather Blake aka Heather Webber. The set up is the Enchanted Village a tourist town in Salem, MA where practically everybody that owns a shop is a witch crafter of some sort. Darcy and her sister Harper have just learned that they are Wishcrafters with the ability to grant wishes. The mystery begins with a murder of course. There is an eventual love interest, but that isn't the focus of the book. If you are looking for something light and cute then you might like ...more
☀Rachael☀
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Yay! A fun, Quirky new series with talking mice Woohoo!
Great little cozy mystery. Devoured in just a couple days. Will read more.
Payal
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, mystery, romance
It was cute! But not terribly exciting. I particularly enjoyed the last chapter; but that seems to be a larger reflection on the progression of the book. I liked most of the characters enough but I'm not a fond of Nick yet. The romance was stilted, almost forced. Murder mystery was vamped up and had a rather deflating ending. The world building was pretty decent and I like the quirks of all the Crafters and their talents. That being said, I am not sure if I'll continue with the series.
Chaitra
It's actually kind of ridiculous, this book, but it's good for a boring afternoon. The main character is no more obnoxious than is normal for cozies, and the mystery is okay. I liked the crafting idea, but some areas of crafting are better than the others. There is a romantic relationship, but it doesn't seem to horrible so far.
  • In a Witch's Wardrobe (A Witchcraft Mystery, #4)
  • Brownies and Broomsticks (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #1)
  • Who Do, Voodoo? (A Mind for Murder, #1)
  • Absolutely, Positively (Lucy Valentine, #3)
  • Pleating for Mercy (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery, #1)
  • Skirting The Grave (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #4)
  • Home for a Spell (A Bewitching Mystery, #7)
  • A Taste of the Nightlife (Vampire Chef, #1)
  • Pies and Prejudice (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery, #1)
  • Tempest in the Tea Leaves (A Fortune Teller Mystery, #1)
Also writes as Heather Webber

Heather Blake grew up in a suburb of Boston, and enjoys going “home” in her novels. As a young mother, she tried her hand at writing novels and hasn’t looked back. Currently, Heather lives in the Cincinnati area, and is currently hard at work on her next novel.

15 Things You May Not Know About Me
1) I am completely, hopelessly addicted to Dr Pepper.
2) Three of my favorit
More about Heather Blake

A Wishcraft Mystery (8 books)
  • A Witch Before Dying (A Wishcraft Mystery, #2)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #3)
  • The Goodbye Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #4)
  • Some Like It Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #5)
  • Gone With the Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #6)
  • The Witch and the Dead (A Wishcraft Mystery, #7)
  • To Catch a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery #8)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pigeon English
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“He does manage the bookstore, which is currently my favorite place on earth." Her eyes glazed over. "All those books. If I married him, I could probably work there the rest of my life. Nothing would make me happier."

"What about love?" Ve asked.

"Oh," Harper said solemnly. "I love books.”
19 likes
“I had a collar to buy, a rashy man to question, something illuminating to see, and a wombat to deliver. *” 0 likes