Start by marking “The Levity Effect: Why It Pays to Lighten Up” as Want to Read:
The Levity Effect: Why It Pays to Lighten Up

The Levity Effect: Why It Pays to Lighten Up

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  146 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Praise for The Levity Effect

"What may be the most valuable business book of the year...The Levity Effect can change the way you look at corporate culture."

—Joe Calloway, author of Work Like You're Showing Off!

"Gostick and Christopher entertain us with humorous anecdotes and educate us with research, evidence, real-life examples, and practical applications."

—Jim Kouzes, c

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2008 by Blackstone Audio, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Levity Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Levity Effect

Ken
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting listen this was my first audio book. I found the underlying principal of the book obvious once it had been pointed out. As the head of a small team who work very hard and well together and who are very successful at what we do, I was surprised to discover just how important our humorous approach to almost everything could be. I don’t think there is another team in our organisation which works harder, set itself higher targets and continually strives to improve their service in t ...more
David Armstrong
A light read

The idea of the topic is fun, but it us not really worth a whole book. I got the idea quickly, and the rest was redundant. Some of the jokes were funny, but the overall writing still is too verbose.
Shonna Froebel
This book promotes having fun and work, and offers up the research to support its platform. The authors show how the right kind of levity can increase productivity, improve communication, foster creativity, increase trust, have a positive effect on health, and better the bottom line. To get you started down the road to fun, the authors also provide some ideas on ideas that have worked. The ideas come from real-life examples and while not all are appropriate for all workplaces, there should be so ...more
Derek P
A reasonable argument for levity in the workplace is offered however it seemed that there was a thin line between actual wit/lightheartedness and just plain acting goofy. I purchased this book after my doctoral committee chair worried that I would use too much humor when defending my qualification exams...but I couldn't help it ;) Lets just say I hope my leadership career turns out better.

The big problems about this book is example after example of people acting crazy in the workplace and littl
Joy
Jun 19, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was another book I listened to on CD. It was directed to corporate
life, with case studies and research on some major corporations. It
does show that a "lighter" approach in the work environment leads to
greater production. I'm all for "fun" in every part of life, but there
was not enough application for this book to be all that helpful in my
non-corporate life.
Su Myat
It is about how lightness effect on the organisational performance and tips to develop the levity with practical application.

I really like" chapter 4: Levity Effect - Respect: In You They Trust" because I didn't know that genuineness comes before the fun.
Mark
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Reads like a Gladwell book. One basic idea pounded over and over again with examples and statistics. Humor in the writing seemed forced, like they had to make it funny because they were writing about levity.
Denise
This was more like a 2.8, but I couldn't find it in me to round up. Basically, people who enjoy their jobs perform better. Fit that into your culture. Ok, I agree. If filled my time while my flight was delayed.
Bonnie
Good business book with suggestions on including levity in your leadership style. Good research and experiences shared on how levity improves employee satisfaction, employee retention, and customer satisfaction.
For a business book, this was great. It's all about the need for fun and humor in the workplace. It made me feel good, since we're already fostering that at the library where I work.

Both practical and light-hearted.
Angie
Nov 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another book by my boss and coworker.
Nathan
Sep 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not that this matters, but the author is flamingly LDS. The wit was great and he offered lots of ideas to make work fun.
Tony Derricott
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Positivity Pays
Low
May 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Pretty much what I try to do at work everyday, but nice to see it in words :) boo yah!
Tina
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
The book gives ideas for lightening up the workplace. Some of the ideas were good and others were silly.
Theresa Hildebrand
Anyone who supervises even one person should read this book. Like I always say, If you're not having fun ~ you're doing it wrong.
Lori Grant
A should-read book on change management for knowledge workers, managers, executives, and entrepreneurs.
Jeremy Snyder
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Offers backing for the idea that levity and lightening up in the workplace is good for everyone. Both research, and examples/suggestions are provided.
Les
Brian Rivera
Dec 22, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Learning by Heart: Teachings To Free The Creative Spirit
  • Empowered: Unleash Your Employees, Energize Your Customers, and Transform Your Business
  • It's Always Personal: Navigating Emotion in the New Workplace
  • I'd Rather Laugh: How to be Happy Even When Life Has Other Plans forYou
  • The Abilene Paradox and Other Meditations on Management
  • Cut to the Chase: and 99 Other Rules to Liberate Yourself and Gain Back the Gift of Time
  • The Operator: David Geffen Builds, Buys, and Sells the New Hollywood
  • Why Do We Sell Low and Buy High?: The guide you must read Before you invest
  • The Five Keys to Mindful Communication: Using Deep Listening and Mindful Speech to Strengthen Relationships, Heal Conflicts, and Accomplish Your Goals
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
  • My Anecdotal Life: A Memoir
  • Tell to Win: Connect, Persuade, and Triumph with the Hidden Power of Story
  • Universal Traveler
  • 50 Prosperity Classics: Attract It, Create It, Manage It, Share It
  • Creative Capitalism: A Conversation with Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, and Other Economic Leaders
  • Art Is a Way of Knowing