Start by marking “Exodus from Hunger: We Are Called to Change the Politics of Hunger” as Want to Read:
Exodus from Hunger: We Are Called to Change the Politics of Hunger

Exodus from Hunger: We Are Called to Change the Politics of Hunger

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  43 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
It is within the United States’ technical and financial power to help end hunger in our lifetime, if we set our hearts and minds to the task.

In fact, contrary to what many people believe, the world has made great progress against hunger and poverty over the last several decades. But too often the binding constraint is a simple lack of political will. As a result, one of th
Kindle Edition
Published January 21st 2011 by David Beckmann (first published July 12th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Exodus from Hunger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exodus from Hunger

Jeannie Colling
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Everyone should read this book. It is written by the head of Bread for the World. It has ways individuals can and should get involved in helping the least of the least. Very readable and filled with hope.
Courtney Smith
If you want to get involved with advocacy for hunger, READ THIS BOOK! It's basically a handbook for advocacy and is truly a great resource. It provides background information, success stories, a faith-based component, and tools for moving forward.

This book is really a call to Christian communities to take up the cross and work towards advocacy for those in needs, for political change that will bring about justice for those who suffer from hunger. I really enjoyed this read and I would recommend
Catherine
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The thoughts and concepts deliberately explained in this book are presented in the way that I believe all political business in Washington and on the more local levels should be presented and handled. It addresses issues, indicates who needs to do what to improve upon these issues, and then offers an earnest call for action to be taken on the part of those who can. It remains non-partisan and unbiased towards the people who make policy and instead instills energy and the power of faith in those ...more
Bob Price
Jul 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
I wanted to like Exodus from Hunger, I really did.

We should differentiate at the beginning that there it is one thing to like a concept of a book, and quite another to actually like the book...and I think that is what happened here.

I fundamentally agree with the author that we hunger politics is a conversation we need to have in this country, particularly in the Church.
And it might be nice to listen to a lecture from the author, but not read a book.

Here are a few problems I can see with this b
Skylar
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it

Great eye-opener into the importance of poverty for Christians in particular. Unfortunate that it focuses mostly on U.S. policies (as Bread for the World is a U.S. organization) but still presents many important ideas and suggestions for individuals to have a real impact on the future of poverty in our world.
Leanna
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dev-lit
Great cause, great organization, great man. The book itself didn't seem to make a cohesive argument -- instead, each chapter seemed like it had been written independently -- and the whole thing could have used an editor to make it flow better, to cite references to make the arguments stronger, and to correct the mistakes. Wish it had been better.
Gerry
I was disappointed in this book. it felt like a commercial for bread for the world which I think is a great organization.
So many of the books we read for Just Faith were really inspiring, this was one of the least inspiring for me.
Sue Johannsen
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Our adult book group explores hunger. This book is a great reference and guide to a local conversation.
Mariana
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good book on what we can do to end hunger. However the author refers too much to the Christian god. I conclude from my work in Costa Rica that that god is irrelevant and, oh so, arrogant.
Joe Foley