Start by marking “Wonder Woman: Bitter Rivals” as Want to Read:
Wonder Woman: Bitter Rivals

Wonder Woman: Bitter Rivals

(Wonder Woman (1987) #201–205)

When Darrel Keyes, head of the anti-Wonder Woman group "Protect Our Children," was murdered on the steps of the Themysciran Embassy, the ensuing riot was just one of a torrent of crises facing Diana. Now, with the changes that befell her island home drastically altering her responsibilities in the DCU, Diana doesn't have the time necessary to focus on the murder. Wonder Wo ...more
Published February 1st 2005 by DC Comics (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Wonder Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonder Woman

Sesana
Dec 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Bitter Rivals continues the overarching storyline introduced in the last collection, with no payoff in sight. I'm still trusting that when it comes, it'll be good. And for the most part, the writing is still satisfying. My favorite is, of course, the story that starts the collection: Wonder Girl (Cassie, that is) telling a kid-friendly version of the Medusa myth as a bedtime story, with input from Ferdinand. It's a great little story.

The drawbacks are, for me, mostly minor. The tidal wave is od
Keith
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
It is, to be quite frank, shocking how little happens in the opening ten issues of Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman run. This volume is basically just a prelude to a story that doesn't kick into gear until the next volume, and the volume before this (Down to Earth) had even less to show for itself.

However, this book has occult rituals and a genuine goofy/horrific 40's WW villain ('Doctor Psycho,' for God's sake), as well as continuing with insanely gorgeous art. So, like, we're getting there.
Maythavee
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The different plotlines are coming together and its leading up to an epic confrontation between Diana and her enemies! Rucka really knows how to build up a story! Veronica Cale's motivations for hating Diana seems petty though. I liked her backstory in his Rebirth run better.
Naomi Ruth
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
So, I've always been dubious about Wonder Woman, so I had to give her a chance.

This book is just a random one and I didn't entirely know what was going on, (Um? Man? With a bull's head? I think?), but it was great. I like Wonder Woman. And I felt like there was a good reason I dropped Classical Studies, because I feel like I totally should have known more about the mythology stuff in the background. That sentence probably doesn't make sense. Grammar is hard.

And yes, there was a lot of skin showi
Jedhua
Sep 26, 2015 marked it as gave-up-on
My Brief Bookshelf Overview: gave-up-before-finishing

Additional Notes: This collection contains Wonder Woman issues #201-205.

Just like I feared, the first issue of this volume introduces even more characters. Also, the change in artstyle isn't as appealing as it was for the previous six issues. On top of all that, according to Sesana's trusted reviews, things only "[start] to happen" in the next volume.
Cait
I really don't like Veronica Cale.

I do like Cassie's story of Medousa -- poor Medousa! cute art! -- and Batman working with Diana (and showing up at the embassy to be bothered by her staff's kids).
Jess
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying these books but i really dislike veronica cale. her motives are eye roll inducing. i like what the end sets up for though.

i will say the design for eros is hilariously dated.
Brandon
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Aside from the artist gleefully servicing the male fan base with the Gorgans, another perfect run of Rucker WWE issues.
Ramon
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
The second volume of Rucka's run, and the antagonists begin to get fleshed out and their schemes get more development.
Ang
Aug 31, 2016 rated it liked it
In this Wonder Woman graphic novel, there's a lot going on but it continues the story started in the previous book, Wonder Woman: Down to Earth. So it starts out with the story of Perseus and Danae, and ultimately Medusa. Then it goes into Wonder Woman trying to keep the Silver Swan (Vanessa Kapatelis) in her care and trying to figure out what happened to her and how to help here. Next, there's Dr. Cale and Dr. Psycho, and it cuts back to Themiscyra and back to the assassination of Keyes. It's j ...more
Jeff Raymond
Jul 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have a number of disjointed thoughts on Wonder Woman:

* I'm not one to really be bothered or even notice issues of objectification, especially in the arts. My reasons for that are many and for a different day, but yeesh can this get squicky at times. There's a fine line between strong, worthwhile feminist and, well, how I feel Wonder Woman is put out there. It takes a lot for me to get thrown off by this, so take it for what it is.

* I get why Wonder Woman appears to be such a difficult characte
M
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Greg Rucka and a host of illustrators continue the politically-charged run of Wonder Woman in this collection. Determined to underscore the popularity of the Amazon warrior, Veronica Cale has launched a counter-campaign to eliminate the influence of Wonder Woman. Unfortunately, her machinations and plots have released the mind-warping Dr. Psycho - and he fully intends to exploit the smear tactics to their fullest. Meanwhile, Diana teams with Batman to help solve a murder on her embassy steps and ...more
Jeff
May 28, 2011 rated it liked it
This is an okay story, but mainly serves as the setup for future pay-offs which are not present int he graphic novel. The interplay between Diana and Bruce Wayne are great.

The beginning part of the story sourced me to the rest of the novel. In a major action piece, Diana and an ally have to stop a giant tsunami from ravaging the Eastern United States seaboard. The art and action sequence that follows, apparently just a few miles off of Charleston, is unconvincing and seems to only affect the har
Caroline
Apr 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Not sure why it took me so long to get to Greg Rucka's 'Wonder Woman' comics, but damn, this is a great story. I love the characterization of Diana, and the balance between her place in the real world vs. her place as a mythological figure. Plus, Rucka really obviously wants her and Batman to hook up and editorial won't let him do it, so that's fun to watch. Seriously, I find I really enjoy Batman as a supporting character here.

The art in this book doesn't really live up to the writing. It's not
Victor Orozco
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Set after the events in which Themiscyra is blown out of the sky by the fury of the goddess Hera. Its interesting to see how Diana is dealing with it and also the circumstances surrounding Vanessa Kapatelis.

Do love the background that goes on with the Gorgon sisters in regards to bringing back their sister Medusa. I don't exactly like how Batman is on the front cover when its advertised as Bitter Rivals when the bitter rival is the undeclared rivalry between Wonder Woman and Veronica Cale.

Still
Oct 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I don't know. Veronica Cale can be crafty and enterprising, and I should see her duality with Wonder Woman in the same way I view Lex Luthor as the brains to Superman's brain. But I can't do it for some reason. I don't know if I need more time with the character, or if I need her to have a giant death ray, but her rage against Diana doesn't feel operatic, or at least justified/stakes-worthy, to me. That said, the gods in this series are terrible creatures, and what happens to Paradise Island tha ...more
Sean
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Yes, I know its too late to matter but Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman matters. In the past few years she hasn't but what he does here, weaving action, political intrigue, mythology, and science into an amazing title that is unique in a cluttered market. The art here was fantastic making Diana both sexy and powerful and making the supporting characters recognizable. Overall, this was a really good read.
Angie
May 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Angie by: Jon O
When I was little girl I used to love Wonder Woman. I would twirl around real fast in my Wonder Woman Underoos to become her and then fly (jump off the sofa), and lasso evil villains (my siblings) with my golden lariat (My jumprope).
A friend lent me some wonder woman graphic novels to read. I hadn't thought much about wonder woman since I was about 7 or 8, I'd say. I was skeptical that I would like them. I'm not a huge fan of DC style superheroes, but truly I loved her all over again.
Sophie
Dec 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A great story, although this volume deals mostly with what happened before and builds up to what - I suppose - is going to happen. What I love is that even the minor characters feel fleshed out, and there are wonderful moments of humor.

And this piece of wisdom from one of Wonder Woman's BFFs:

"Not every friendship with the opposite sex must be governed by romance." Truer words have never been spoken.
Steve
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This volume picks up right where the last one left off, with the aftermath of Dr. Psycho's mind induced riot, and the death of Keyes, Wonder Woman's biggest opposer. With New Themyscira in ruin and lots of stuff on her plate, Wonder Woman gets closer to the people who are trying to destroy her image. A nice cameo from Batman and nice plot twists make for an engaging story, but still leaves a cliffhanger for the next volume.
DeAnna Knippling
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A reread. Two things struck me this time through: most of the characters are women. Unless there's a reason for a character to be a man, the characters are almost always women. The other - and these are the WW stories that I like the best - is that it's the setup for a very Greek tragedy, in which you know a character is doomed, and that pride (hubris?) has set them on their path, and yet you wouldn't be able to conceive of the situation any other way.
Don
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was more like it. An exciting story with real intrigue. I like how she's more of a grown up in this one. Thymescyrian ambassador to the US, dealing with political issues back home and in "gateway city". Plus the tie ins to the Greek mythology were very cool, especially after all the Percy Jackson I've been reading. Nice to see those stories from a different angle. Really liked this one.
David
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this better than Down to Earth overall. There was more intrigue, both with the Gods on Olympus and with Dr. Psycho turning the tables on Cale, who was not a very threatening villain for Wonder Woman on her own. We also get some backstory for Cale here, and that's always welcome. I'm still not a huge fan of the artwork but oh well.
Rabya
Wonder Woman's to do list never ends (just like me). Solve a murder, find a cure for a half human/half silver swan, save her beloved Themysciran Amazonian island home, and oh yeah, protect the planet from the gods! My favorite character- her chef, Ferdinand.
Frank
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
First dip into Wonder Woman and...eh. I'm not going to pass final judgement on the character based on one book, but here she didn't do much for me. Came off as a bit boring, the story line a bit pedestrian. I feel big characters need big narratives and this wasn't one.
Amy
Nov 21, 2016 rated it liked it
points for an okay crossover with Batman as he solves a murder mystery, minus points for too much stuff going on and Veronica Cale's motivation for all the villainy being essentially female jealousy/competition. Sigh. Really? that's the best we can do?
G (galen)
Mar 14, 2009 rated it liked it
read this one a few years back, since I am adding graphic novels to my goodreads, gotta include this one.

An updated contemporary Wonder Woman + Batman together fighting crime = yummy.

(And I want that lasso of truth. gotta have it.)

Lisa
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Again Rucka's story line is really good and I always enjoy when the different superheroes are showcased togther. I just wished the art work was better.
Angela
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
ANyone know what the next one in this series is?
Nate
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This story took forever to get going but also made a conscious effort to focus on Wonder Woman the states person rather than the hero. That said despite the fresh take it left me wanting more.
  • Wonder Woman: Paradise Found
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 2: Challenge of the Gods
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 4: Ends of the Earth
  • Wonder Woman: Lifelines
  • Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 4: End Game
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 12: Platinum Flats
  • Wonder Woman:  Mythos
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.

Wonder Woman (1987) (1 - 10 of 117 books)
  • Wonder Woman (1987-2006) #1
  • Wonder Woman (1987-2006) #18
  • Wonder Woman (1987-2006) #25
  • Wonder Woman (1987-2006) #26
  • Wonder Woman #27 (1987-2006)
  • Wonder Woman (1987-2006) #28