Start by marking “Cirkeln (Engelsfors, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cirkeln (Engelsfors, #1)

Cirkeln

(Engelsfors #1)

Engelsfors. Vackert namn, risig stad. Omgiven av djupa skogar där människor ofta går vilse och försvinner. Sex tjejer har just börjat gymnasiet. De har inget gemensamt - förutom att en uråldrig ondska jagar dem.

Höstterminen har just börjat när en elev hittas död på en av gymnasieskolans toaletter. Alla förmodar att det var ett självmord. Alla utom de som vet sanningen.

En n
Published April 15th 2011 by Rabén & Sjögren (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Cirkeln, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cirkeln

Heidi The Reader
The Circle was an excellent and gritty urban fantasy. It was dark enough that I would hesitate to classify it as young adult. It is about a group of close friends and magic.

It reminded me of that 1996 film, The Craft, which, as you will recall, is about a group of angst-y high school friends who find out that they're witches and have to deal with all of the issues that go along with that. There's drama, danger and magic... oh my!

For such a large cast of characters, Strandberg does an amazing job
Inge
A student died at Engelsfors high school. Everyone thinks it’s suicide. Only a handful of people know that it was, in fact, murder. These girls are the Chosen Ones: six witches, joined by a guardian who can’t remember what he’s supposed to do, and a Council who relies on teenagers to do their job. Together, they will eventually have to battle evil together. They can only stop that if they work together. Slight issue here: these teenage girls couldn’t be any more different from one another if the ...more
Mari - loves to read
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Do you like reading novels that keeps you up into the wee hours of night? If you do then make sure to read The Circle, it is a true page turner! The Circle is a young adult fantasy that pulls off something that very few fantasy novels manages to do, it manages to somehow be a kind of a contemporary novel at the same time.

Sky high expectations
In the Nordic countries The Circle has been receiving so much praise that I was actually scared to read it. My expectations where sky high and needless to
Lisa
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This novel kept what it promised, and in the world of youth fiction, that is a quality in itself!

It was a fantasy adventure with magic and witches.

It was a coming-of-age story with a school at its centre.

It was a recognisable to Swedish students as a familiar cultural and social setting, with all the typical problems of a Swedish smalltown.

It had well-crafted and diverse characters.

It was full of suspense.

Minoo and her friends are, along with Harry and Katniss, the kind of book characters that
4.5 Stars

This book was truly a surprise to me. The beginning seemed to make things very simple and basic BUT THEN THINGS GET CRAZY.

We have a ragtag group of teenagers in a small town called Engelsfors in Sweden and this gritty and poignant novel is a YA urban witch fantasy with a serious punch. It deals with topics like drugs, sex, inappropriate adult/child relationships, absent parents, bullying and the list could really go on.

I adored this story and how the themes of friendship intertwined wit
Sarah Mac
Eh, it's alright. [/Wodehouse]

This was a mixed bag, so let's be nice & start with the things I liked. (Sorry, but caffeine is failing me today. This will be a bullet review.)

-Grittiness. I appreciated that these teenagers swore like normal people. I also liked (though perhaps it's the wrong word? :P) that they were open about drug use & sex. It felt realistic.

-Elemental magic. The Book of Patterns & its magical process was quite interesting, though both were continually pushed aside
Lukas Anthony
This book is like a bad afternoon special.

I really wanted to like this book. I'd been looking for a witchy read lately and I thought this might do the trick, sadly it was not to be. Note to self; Never, EVER trust a blurb from now on. You see the blurb to this book makes it sound like some epic, saving the world supernatural story. On the back, it's compared to Buffy, The Secret Circle and even The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. How is it then, that this is NOTHING like any of those? GWTDT especi
Monique
Real Rating: 4.5 stars

I have been sitting here and staring at my computer for exactly 47 minutes trying to figure out how to start this review; so since I can not think of anything, this is what I shall give you

It took me a while to actually pick up the book and read it, but I did and I am very glad I did. And it is not because I have anything against Swedish authors(I love Sweden It's just that most of the time, whenever a book this size is published, it often gets patches of booorrriinngg and
Diana Torales
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
#ElCirculoBR
Reseña próximamente...
Thomas Strömquist
Oct 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I don't usually read YA, partly because I'm OA myself and partly because I find the often "simplified" language and more disturbingly simplified characters to be distracting. I did, however, take this on since my wife asked me to - she wanted another opinion about it, since she has her students adding it to their reading list.

I was partly pleasantly surprised - there are quite a few plot turns and character traits that you probably wouldn't expect - but partly my prejudice showed far too true.
Meli
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lento pero muy bueno e intrigante.
Rebecca
Where do I even beginning talking about this book? Do I start with the amazing characters? Or maybe the intriguing plot? Or maybe the insane need to know more it creates. I carried this book with me the entire day and I read it faster than I’ve read a book in …. I can’t even remember how long.

After the apparent (and graphic) suicide of young Elias in the school bathrooms, six girls come to realise that there is more to this world than it seems. Deemed “the Chosen Ones”, these girls learn of a pr
Jony
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DIOS MÍO.

Eso es todo lo que puedo decir. Dios mío qué maravilla de libro. "El círculo" no es una historia más de brujas; no, ni mucho menos. Es una historia, sobre todo, de personajes, de cómo seis adolescentes sin absolutamente nada en común acaban unidas irremediablemente por la magia. Los autores han sabido crear perfectamente unas protagonistas fuertes, carismáticas y totalmente humanizadas. Es imposible no sentir cariño por todas y cada una de las Elegidas. Además, todo el tema de la magia
Josu Grilli
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-novels
Una primera parte impresionante, con unos personajes como no se han leído en otras novelas (llegas a conocerlos hasta el más mínimo detalle) y con un ritmo realmente bueno. El Círculo es una novela muy cinematográfica y rápida, profunda, con cosas poco usuales en la literatura juvenil. Muy original. Tenéis que leerla en cuanto salga, no os va a defraudar.
Joost
De Cirkel, het eerste deel in een spannende trilogie. Ik heb mij zeker vermaakt tijdens het lezen van dit boek en ik ga hopelijk snel verder met de rest van de serie!
kath ♡
May 14, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i actually really wanna read this. there were like 10 copies of all 3 books each in hardcover WITH matching covers and they were so cheap i wish i bought it now :’))
J.S. Meresmaa
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oi että tykkäsin! Tämä oli jollain tavalla hyvin kokonaisvaltainen kirja, psykologisesti tarkkanäköinen ja ilahduttava. Olin kuullut kirjasta paljon hyvää, mutta ennakolta tiesin lähinnä, että se kertoo lukiolaistytöistä ja on urbaania fantasiaa. Hyvä niin. Pidän siitä kun voi lähteä lukemaan mahdollisimman puhtaalta pöydältä. Kirja on ollut minulla pitkään hyllyssä, mutta nyt oli juuri oikea hetki sille. (Usein on niin, etten pysty tarttumaan hehkutettuihin kirjoihin silloin kun ne ovat pinnall ...more
Marcos Sánchez Bueno
Valoración: 4,5 / 5

Cuántos libros juveniles desearían tener un comienzo de trilogía como lo es "The Circle"...
Publicado por Maeva Young en España bajo el nombre de "El círculo", la saga Engelsfors nos sitúa en un pequeño pueblo sueco donde un mal mayor se avecina sin que nadie pueda darse cuenta, preparándose para arrasar con todo, y al cual solo los elegidos podrán hacer frente.
Cuando me imagino una novela de personajes, me imagino una novela así. Si además añadimos una trama en la que involucr
Fleur (FranklyBooks)
I bought this at a second hand book sale. Originally I only went to the second hand sale because a warehouse clearance proved to be extremely disappointing - barely anything that fitted my niche. The only reason I picked this up was because it has the same name as another book I my shelf. I just thought I was a different cover.

The reviews were mostly favourable, in fact I recall one of them calling this book the Scandinavian version of 'the craft'. *sigh* I loved that movie. This books was more
Juli
Nov 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, 2016
3.5
Es un libro entretenido, con varios giros que me dejaron el corazon en la boca, me hubiera gustado un final un poco diferente con respecto a dos de las protagonistas pero si lo digo seria spoiler y a la vez no .... (delirios mios)
Mary Robinette Kowal
I was totally sucked in from the first page. The characterization of the girls in the Circle is so clear and vivid. I was trying to describe it as being sort of like Buffy the Vampire slayer, but more realistic, without vampires, and set in Sweden. But that undersells the book.
Jonas
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Swedish witches are my new favorite thing
n
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
!!!! w.i.t.c.h. vibes tbh. bit hard to read a translated version but i LOOOVE this
Patt
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books, 2015
Necesito la segunda parte YA.
Izabelle Holmgren
Jag vet inte varför jag låtit den här serien stå oläst i bokhyllan under så många år. Helt fantastiskt spännande bok med så många bra karaktärer som får mig att vilja kasta mig över bok två.
Mariela
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Al principio el libro es un poco confuso porque tenemos 6 puntos de vista y cuando se presenta cada personaje tenes que recordar quien era el que vive solo, el que tiene hermanos pequeños o el que no quiere a su nuevo padrastro, pero una vez que vas avanzando y te vas familiarizando con cada personajes no te marea tanto, si es verdad que tanto cambio es un poco pesado, sobretodo si no está separado por capítulos.

En cuanto a la historia es un poco lenta, hasta la mitad del libro no pasa demasiado
Stephanie
My Summary: In a little town surrounded by trees, six teenaged girls begin to experience strange phenomena. Terrified and confused after the death of a fellow classmate, the six are drawn to an abandoned fairground on the night of a red moon. There they are told that they are witches - members of a "circle". Each has their own unique power, and it is their job to utilize their power and stop whatever is killing their friends.

But the girls don't take this warning seriously, choosing instead to ig
Sanna Hagman
Älskade boken, kände igen mig i många av karaktärerna och deras tankar och personliga problem, gillade framförallt Minoo.
Erica
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
en mycket bra och spännande bok
Agnieska a.k.a. Gut
I loved this book, so I can't wait till I will have time off from work to write a review for this amazing story.
Mcgregor vs Mayweather Live News Date Time 1 2 Aug 12, 2017 08:19PM
MAX!?!?! 2 45 Apr 02, 2015 11:21AM
Character growth through out the book 1 27 Feb 18, 2014 12:37PM
Goodreads Sweden: * Diskussion av Cirkeln, del 1 (SPOILERVARNING!) 13 263 May 21, 2012 03:47AM
  • Udda Verklighet (De sära, #1)
  • Allt jag säger är sant
  • Norra Latin (Stockholmsserien #1)
  • Kärleken (Torka aldrig tårar utan handskar, #1)
  • Pojkarna
  • Hon går genom tavlan, ut ur bilden
  • Freja (Sagan om Valhalla, #1)
  • Ordbrodösen
  • I Miss You, I Miss You!
  • Stad i världen (Stadserien, #5)
  • Kapitulera omedelbart eller dö
  • Odinsbarn (Ravneringene, #1)
  • Jag är ju så jävla easy going
  • Hundra procent fett
  • The Betrayal Knows My Name, Volume 05
Mats Strandberg is an award-winning novelist and journalist. He is a regular columnist for Sweden's biggest evening newspaper, has been named Columnist of the Year by Sweden's Newspapers and Magazines organization, and had published three previous novels, with rights sold in numerous countries.

Engelsfors (3 books)
  • Eld (Engelsfors, #2)
  • Nyckeln (Engelsfors, #3)
“LV ”Nākt uz skolu ir tas pats, kas piespiedu kārtā tikt deportētam uz svešu planētu – katru dienu.”
ENG "Coming to school is the same as to be forcibly deported to an alien planet - every day.”
3 likes