Start by marking “The Clan of the Cave Bear & The Valley of Horses (Earth's Children, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
The Clan of the Cave Bear & The Valley of Horses (Earth's Children, #1-2)

The Clan of the Cave Bear & The Valley of Horses

(Earth's Children #1-2)

This is a boxed set of Jean Auel's first two mega-literary hits in mass-market paperback form--both ensconced within slipcase.
Published (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Clan of the Cave Bear & The Valley of Horses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clan of the Cave Bear & The Valley of Horses

Wierdo14
May 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
This series is by far my FAVORITE set of books ever written. Auel just creates a totally believable story - you can envision these people living, discovering and evolving with every turn of the page. I think it read it for the first time back in 1990 but I would have to say that I have re-read the series everytime a new book comes out and then even a couple times in between. I would recommend this book to anyone although as you get into the second book and beyond there is some adult content that ...more
Pussy & Awesome
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a
I read this because my grandmother read it and I wanted to feel closer to her, to have something in common with her as an adult now that she's gone.
I think every woman should read this as they get about 25-30. The descriptions of the land, plants, animals and methods is very good and not too scientific as to be boring.
Even though the society is prehistoric the humanity and sociology are the same, a very good and well written coming of age story. The second book sees the heroine strike out onto
Shaphir
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4.5 stars*
Gloria Roach
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've read the first three books in this series several times before but every time I read them again it's like the first time. I've started reading the series for the third time and I finished Clan of the Cave Bear on April 4th. I think it is a well written book that holds one's interest. I started reading Valley of Horses on April 4th and I am halfway through this book. It is not quite as exciting as the first book mainly to me because there are so few characters in it, but it keeps me absorbed ...more
C.J. Prince
I loved the first book but after that it seemed like the publishers told her to add more sex. Nothing wrong with sex but please, this went overboard. An aside: I was called to audition for the movie~because I was short and had a background in physical theatre. Good thing it didn't pan out. My theatre mentor played the shaman. Only a few scenes. It was shot in Canada and was freezing cold. PLUS the movie sucked.
amanda
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it
all i remember about this series was the sex. i don't think i ever finished the series and i'm not sure that i'll continue now, but this book served its purpose well
Andrew Mills
This book was given to me by a friend, not something I would choose to read. I really enjoyed the Clan of the Cave Bear, and so went straight into the Valley of the Horses, and found it really long winded, in that much of the story was repeated, like how many times do you need to read about their method of toolmaking in such detail. Having said that I am going to read the next book.
Olethros
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
¿Quiere saber más de estos dos libros, sin spoilers? Visite:

Sally Brandle
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved them. And if you travel to Alaska and do an inland small airplane trip, you'll see how the land from her time period looks.
Ronda
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This book kept my sanity while I was sitting vigil by my dying husband's bedside...it has become a favorite theme over the years: strong women who survive on their own!
John Min
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first book was awesome, the second almost as good and the third fell away a bit, got too sappy.
Annika Bjerke
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this it was so so good!!
Faedyl
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
En 2009 habìa conseguido las tres primeras partes de una saga que luego me enterè, habia sido reeditada en diferentes volùmenes. Decidì conseguir las nuevas ediciones en caso que haya sido remasterizada y releer completa. En el 2013 en la feria del libro conseguì todos los volùmenes nuevos y la retomè desde cero.

El clan fue un libro que me encantò. Dicen que la pelìcula apesta, pero en mi opiniòn, siempre estuvo muy documentado, esto lo puede decir cualquiera que haya leido un poco de prehistori
Deb
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Jean Auel has done an awesome job at making each of the Earth���s Children books stand alone. This also means a fair amount of repetition. If you were reading them in the years they were published as I first did, it is a nice reminder. However, if you are reading them in rapid succession as I am now, it can be kind of annoying.

Another thing that takes away from this series beginning with this second book is the amount of erotica in the book. My 12 year old was reading the first one with me; howe
Heather
Feb 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have hte valley of horses but not the clan of the cave bears. The first one (clan of hte cave bears) is about a native tribe who find a blonde haired human from a differnt very scarse clan. They take her in and have her adapt to there way of live. They teach her about plants and being a good wife and living in there world. The very end she goes off to find her own kind.
This is were the 2nd book picks up. She is a grown women on here own. She lives in her own cave near a wild heard of horses.
Sheena
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Yes, it's a bit far fetched that a young woman singlehandedly invented spear throwers and sewing needles, discovered fire stones, and domesticated animals all before she turned 19 way back in pre-history...BUt these are my all time favorite books that I reread every year or two. Ayla is the main character who is raised by Neanderthals after her family dies in an earthquake. She eventually travels off into the wilderness and all the books in the series describe her adventures. Be prepared for som ...more
Rene
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The first three books in the series are good (these two and "Mammoth Hunters). DON'T BOTHER READING THE REST!! They're garbage. I started reading the series in the 1980s and you could tell by the ever increasing length of time between title releases and the decline in the quality of plot and dialog that the author didn't want to write the series anymore. I don't know if she got tied into a contract or what, but you could tell that her heart wasn't in it anymore. Spoiler: they live happily ever a ...more
Amanda
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
well, i read this book over winter break when i was in mexico. just in case u were wondering... and it was really good!! Jean Auel writes a very fascinating story about well i guess cave men era people.. there more sophisticated than we think... anyway the premise is that this human girl is living with her people and then an earthquake squashes there village and she is the only survivor.. so she goess off looking for other people... and then it goes into talking about her new life with these cav ...more
Anna
Dec 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
I read this series years ago when they first came out after living in Africa for six years. I had this connection with Ayla. I was kind of a tom boy in the hillsides of San Bernardino, California when it was undeveloped. Climbing tree and collecting lizards and bugs was my past time. Then living in Africa really put me there though Clan is about the European experience at the early time of man's evolution.
Katharine
Apr 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
A little slow at the beginning but, the second half was better. This is book two in the series the Clan of the Cave bears. Ayla was on her own after given the death sentence from her clan and in search of "the others". She befriends a horse and cave bear. Jondular is living his own life and is helped by Ayla who didn't speak his language or know his customs. That is where the romance begins.
Siliconspider
Julia
Oct 03, 2007 rated it liked it
The first two of these were pretty good, vivid imagery and the idea of using the archeological record to create a story provided entertaining reads. then they started to get very redundant and I began to be vastly irritabled about how MANY THINGS the protagonist was "inventing" or figuring out. flint sparking fire, birth control and the bow and arrow, she basically had the education of that french boy who grew up with wolves but she's supposed to be the cavewoman einstein. It got old.
Vanessa
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
War das wieder schön! Ich habe dieses Re-Read sehr genossen. An vieles konnte ich mich noch gut erinnern, aber es waren doch immer wieder Stellen im Buch, die mir unbekannt vorgekommen sind. Sowas mag ich! Und auch beim zweiten lesen war es einfach schön, Ayla und später auch Jondalar zu begleiten.
Michael
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
I read two books in this series, mainly due to the subject matter. However, I just could not bring myself to like the writing. To me the language seems forced and words much larger than necessary are used. I am reminded of over-educated English majors, who try to impress the reader with syntax rather than just telling a good story.
Anita Anders
Feb 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Don't stop until you've read each one. The Clan of the Cave Bear starts the series and it just gets better with each one. Lots of research went into these books. As a Christian, I had to discount some of the background, which speaks a lot of evolution, but the plot and the descriptions of how "cave men" lived are incredible.
Rachel
Apr 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Well-researched Cro-Magnon romance adventure. She domesticates wolves! Invents math! Solves the mystery of human conception! Tames cave lions! Has a hot French ( ok it is not France yet) boyfriend! Then cheats on him with the only black man in Europe! Every bookish girl I know read these when she was young. I still indulge myself in them from time to time.
Ms. Vicki Smith
Dec 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adults
Shelves: adult
Adults Only! I was really surprised at how good this book (and the whole series) was. It depicted a very realistic portrayal of how I pictured life in the caveman's time, brutal and base, but still with some love and feeling. The movie that was made of it was AWFUL. I read an interview with Jean Auel and she hated the movie. If you must see it read the book first.
Patricia
Jun 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
The second in the series, it tells the back story so reading them in rapid sequence is not needed (in fact I disgourage it) The first time I read it, I skipped over half, only caring about the Female lead, however have come to enjoy the rest as well. Excruciatingly detailed. Some very naughty bits.
Natalie
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
My Brother highly recommended this. I think he knew the Author. I don't know if he actually read it. It's shallow. It's on par with romance summer beach books, only with cavemen... I'm not into that. Not enough here. I believed him enough to give it a whirl for the rest in the series. Frankly I wasted my time.
  • Articles about Earth's Children
  • The Incas: A Novel
  • The Tree People
  • Jew Süss
  • Dawn Wind
  • The Gladiators
  • Seek the Fair Land
  • The Tribune's Curse (SPQR, #7)
  • The Rose Demon
  • The Bride Ransom (Civil War Brides, #4)
  • The Jazz Bird
  • Sukkwan Island
  • The Empress of Weehawken
  • Songs for the Butcher's Daughter
  • The Spy
  • Nackt unter Wölfen
  • Night Trains
  • Der kleine Bruder
Jean M. Auel, née Jean Marie Untinen is an American author best known for her Earth's Children books, a series of historical fiction novels set in prehistoric Europe that explores interactions of Cro-Magnon people with Neanderthals. As of 2010 her books have sold more than 45 million copies worldwide, in many translations.

Auel attended University of Portland, and earned an MBA in 1976. She receiv

Earth's Children (6 books)
  • The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, #1)
  • The Valley of Horses (Earth's Children, #2)
  • The Mammoth Hunters (Earth's Children, #3)
  • The Plains of Passage (Earth's Children, #4)
  • The Shelters of Stone (Earth's Children, #5)
  • The Land of Painted Caves (Earth's Children, #6)