Start by marking “Wisdom from Gift from the Sea” as Want to Read:
Wisdom from Gift from the Sea

Wisdom from Gift from the Sea

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  202 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Excerpts from the original Anne Morrow Lindbergh bestseller on love, happiness, solitude, and contentment.
Published February 1st 2002 by Peter Pauper Press (first published January 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Wisdom from Gift from the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wisdom from Gift from the Sea

Audrey
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
A long-time friend recently mailed me this little book for my birthday. What a treasure it is. As someone who grew up on the ocean, it strikes a deep chord with me. Rich with all sorts of timeless philosophical gems, it's a great book to share with the important women in your life. It makes a great gift. Short and sweet with a message that will ring true for you if you're a woman.
Granny
May 06, 2009 added it
I love her wisdom...she did have her moments of insanity as we all do...she does not honestly convey this in her books but nevertheless she is a wonderful insightful writer and person.
Stephanie Sydnor
At first I found the book slightly boring and preachy, but after researching the author's life, the book became completely different to me. She married a global superstar, became a pilot, had her child kidnapped and murdered, was the inspiration for Sonia Armstrong in Murder On the Orient Express, had 5 kids, checked herself in for psychotheraphy and had a 3 year affair with her doctor ALL before writing this. She knew joy, success and pain like most of us have never known. The simplicity and ho ...more
Jun 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I don't know where to start. So simple. No, not simple...just a beautiful simplicity to her writing. I love the way she strips away all of the BS of life and reminds you what it is to really live, and what is important. Everytime I get caught up, I just need to come back to this.

A modern woman in her day and age that can still translate to today's woman. I admire her more for who she was then.

Plus, the sea always calms me and provides me with clarity, so a good analogy for me. And she's a New
Dawn T.
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: women of all ages
Recommended to Dawn T. by: my mother, years ago
I first read this book as a young woman with several children. My mother had suggested it. I recently reread it and found it just as impactful as a retired woman of 65 years. Lindbergh has such insight into being a woman and she seems so aware of the challenges of self and others in relationship. I read her daughter Reese's book about Lindbergh's last years. The circle of life--so much to think about. Dawn T. Gneiting
Rosemary Cantrell
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a delightful little book - using shells and the sea to talk about women, their lives, and their relationships. I especially liked her emphasis on solitude and simplicity. We certainly need that in our busy lives!
Jodi Robinson
May 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorite books EVER! I read this once a year, usually at the beginning of the year. It reminds me of the importance of having balance and perspective. It's only about 80 pages, so you can read it in one sitting and go back for more.
David
Feb 01, 2008 added it
In some ways more meaningfully instructive about life today as when it was written. Over 50 years in print. A book to be periodically reread. The author is one of the extraordinary women of the 20th Century with many other books to her credit.
Susan
May 28, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a book you can pick up and read at any time. It's short stories, antidotes and poems - reading to ponder. Written while spending time at her cottage on the coast . . . sea shells, sand, ocean . . .
Erica Lin
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Amazing how one woman's words can ring true generation after generation. When life gets too complicated, reading this helps me to simplify and peel away the layers and get back to the basics.
Saskia Marijke Niehorster-Cook
(130 pgs)
Erin Hatch
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was written beautifully. It is a book that made me think, reflect, and ponder about life, and being a mother and woman. I really enjoyed it:)
Eve
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A friend brought this by last night as a Thank-You gift.

What a wonderful surprise and thoughtful gift!
I can not wait to read it!

Erin
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I found this book enjoyable. It is a short and sweet little book. It makes you really think about life.
Colleen
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this book in my 2o's and just read it again recently. Still love it; still find it so inspirational.
Kelly
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great book as a gift for any woman.
Julie H.
Sep 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This is a beautiful little book of poems that will make a great gift when you want to let someone know you are thinking of them.
Kim
Nov 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any woman
This a quick read but helps put an understanding to the stages of a woman's life in one place. I will read this book over and over again. I found it humorous and enlightening all at the same time.
Kate
Nov 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend
Terri Fleming
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorites. It never gets old. And the message is timeless. I can feel the ocean while reading this book.
Karen Tullson
  • Forgive the Moon
  • Beachcombing at Miramar: The Quest for an Authentic Life
  • Bigger is Better: Real-Life Wisdom from the No-Drama Mama
  • Cooking with Grease: Stirring the Pots in America
  • The Prodigy: A Biography of William James Sidis, America's Greatest Child Prodigy
  • One Special Summer
  • Spineless: Portraits of Marine Invertebrates, the Backbone of Life
  • Quilting For Dummies
  • Sasha Cohen: Fire on Ice (Revised Edition): Autobiography of a Champion Figure Skater
  • The Fourth Fisherman: How Three Mexican Fishermen Who Came Back from the Dead Changed My Life and Saved My Marriage
  • Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises
  • Projection: Encounters with My Runaway Mother
  • Underwater to Get Out of the Rain: A Love Affair With the Sea
  • The Whartons' Stretch Book: Featuring the Breakthrough Method of Active-Isolated Stretching
  • Thousand Mile Song: Whale Music in a Sea of Sound
  • Wake Up to a Happier Life: Finding Joy in the Work You Do Every Day
  • The Wendy Williams Experience
  • The Survival Guide for Parents of Gifted Kids: How to Understand, Live With, and Stick Up for Your Gifted Child
Anne Morrow Lindbergh was born in 1906. She married Charles Lindbergh in 1929 and became a noted aviator in her own right, eventually publishing several books on the subject and receiving several aviation awards. Gift from the Sea, published in 1955, earned her international acclaim. She was inducted into the National Aviation Hall of Fame, the National Women’s Hall of Fame, and the Aviation Hall ...more
More about Anne Morrow Lindbergh

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99