Start by marking “Lost on a Mountain in Maine” as Want to Read:
Lost on a Mountain in Maine

Lost on a Mountain in Maine

Based on the true account of a boy's harrowing journey through the vast wilderness of the Katahdin Mountains, Lost on a Mountain in Maine is a gripping survival story for all ages.

Twelve-year-old Donn Fendler steps away from his Boy Scout troop for only a minute, but in the foggy mountains of Maine, a minute is all it takes. After hours of trying to find his way back, a
Published December 23rd 2013 by HarperCollins (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Lost on a Mountain in Maine, please sign up.
Victoria No, he was not completely naked. He had lost his pants, but still had his underwear.

Start your review of Lost on a Mountain in Maine
Wayne Walker
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In this true story, Donn Fendler is a twelve-year-old boy in 1939. He is on an expedition to climb Mt. Katahdin, at 5268 feet the highest peak in the state of Maine, with his father, brothers Tom and Ryan, and guide Henry Condon. Henry and Donn run ahead and meet another climber, Charles Austin, minister with the Church of All Nations in New York City, NY. Donn gets cold and decides to find his own way back to camp rather than wait for the rest. Henry cautions him against doing so and remains ...more
Emily
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's a good book. I don't remeber much, since I haven't read it in such a long time.
Julia Bickford
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trimester-2
I gave this book a five star because it was a really good book. If you're looking for a quick read book this is one. It was so cool reading a book about the state I live in. If you like survival books you will like this book. At some parts it had you off your chair because you wanted to know more. This author did very good at writing this book.
Trevor Fletcher
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Personal Response
The book Lost on a Mountain in Maine by Donn Fendler was a great book. I actually enjoyed this book because it was easy to read, short, and told a great story. The length of the story was great. The story was still good and wasn’t choppy.

Plot
The plot of the story was about a family of four men. The men wanted to climb the biggest mountain in Maine. They all got together and were ready to climb Mount Katahdin. When they started to climb the mountain it began to sleet and got
Payton Magdanz
Scott
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children, survival
Some people like disaster stories, some like romance but for me what does it is a nice survival story.

So this one takes a bunch of people out hiking - takes a kid (this is a true story about the author by the way) who leaves the summit of a mountain and misses the trail down - how does the kid survive? What does he go through when he discovers he's lost?

Good story - bad book.
I just never got the feeling that he was in trouble, I got no insight into what he was really feeling. If you read enough
Brandon Dittmann
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded a couple of audiobooks for a long drive, just the boy and I, were taking today and this was the first one I played on the way out of town. I had picked it out of what showed up among OverDrive's currently-available Juvenile audiobooks because the boy has been somewhat fixated on survival stories this summer, since he got into Gordon Korman's "Island" survival series-- he picked the first one as his SRP prize, and gobbled up the others. The "Everest" books were also well-liked. (I ...more
Hunter
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Amy
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked this little book up from my daughter’s curriculum. Quick read - true story about a boy and his adventure after getting separated from his group in the mountains. He was so tough & went through a lot! It was so sweet to see the little and big ways God watched over him. Upper elementary/middle grade level.
Harry Surran
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
very cool book
Julianna DaSilva
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Lost on a Mountain in Maine is a true story. Donn Fendler goes hiking at Mountain Katahdin with his family. When they were hiking, he was separated from his family. For the next days, he struggles to find his way through and lives off of little food until someone comes to his rescue.
Monique S. (The Ginger Librarian)
What an incredible story of survival!
Seth
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really good, lots of suspense, based on a true story which is neat!!
Zachary Peeters
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Personal Response- I thought the biography, Lost on a Mountain in Maine, was very good. Donn Fendler, the author, did a great job on the details in this book. It showed how hard his adventure was and how tough it had been. It taught me that I need to be prepared to survive in the wild. I love the outdoors and this book had details about survival in the outdoors. The author survived in the wilderness at the age of 12 years old with nothing to eat or drink for nine days.

Plot- Donn was a 12 year
Gale
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
ORDEAL ON KATAHDIN

In 1939 12-year old Donn Fendler became separated from his father and Scout companions while hiking on Maine's most formidable peak. This short book presents an as-told-to narrataive--reconstructed in comfortable and safe hindsight. One can imagine the anguish of his parents--contemplating variouis fates for their son during his nine-day ordeal, during which time he endured loneliness, exhaustion and starvaiton (he lost 16 pounds!) During fog and even sleet he sought his way
Matt Gulde
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not the greatest read-aloud book, but worth the effort. Edit: hearing my eight-year old describing the story a month after we read it gave me a little more appreciation for the target audience.
Travis
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it
In this book Donn Fendler writes about his amazing survival adventure on Mount Katahdin. It includes Suspense, Action, and mystery of whats going to happen next. Overall a good book but not my favorite. I recommend that every person that lives in Maine read this book.
Sheryl Dougherty
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's a juvenile non-fiction, so a quick and easy read. I spent a lot of time at the base of Mt. Katahdin as a child. It was almost like my gramps was reading it to me. A powerful story of faith and survival!
Luann
I recently finished reading aloud Hatchet to two of my library classes, so this book caught my attention when I came across it incorrectly shelved in the fiction section of my library. I was interested to see how this real-life story would compare to Hatchet, which feels very real. I found quite a lot of similarities:

* Donn lived on berries and was eaten up by mosquitoes, blackflies, and other flying insects.

* Donn also came across a bear eating berries who didn't disturb him.

* Donn heard a
Dulci
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My grandmother had this book on her bookshelves when I was a child and recommended it to me a number of times. Every time, I would find something else I wanted to read more and would return it to her without even opening it. Well, now I am blessed with that 1939 edition from her shelves and, whaddya know, Grandmother knew what she was talking about!

This boy's story is amazing! Nine days in the Maine wilderness with nothing, and he lives to tell about it! Surely, he is a lesson in determination
Matt
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lost On A Mountain In Maine is the story of Donn Fendler’s (written by Joseph Egan) emergency survival situation atop one of the tallest peaks on the Appalachian; Mt. Katahdin. Donn and his family are visiting Maine on a trip that takes a turn for the worse when a storm rolls in and separates Donn from his family. Being a boy scout, Donn is able to have a slight advantage compared to other boys his age.

I admire Donn most notably for his composure in this situation but also being able to make
Raechel
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Hatchet, My Side of the Mountain, etc
Ever wanted to read a book that feels like it was written by a young Captain America? Well now you can! Donn Fendler was a 12-year-old Boy Scout who, as the title says, was lost on a mountain in Maine and found help 9 days later. The book is written in Fendler's voice, as he told it to Joseph B. Egan. So the strongest language in it is when Fendler exclaims "Christmas!" over some hardship. It's incredibly cute.

The book is a very fast read, which isn't surprising at all. There are roughly 1-2
Grace Andrews
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: school-reads
Ah, fourth grade required reading. I don't think I minded it too much at the time, but now I can see the faults.

The thing about this book is this: if I remember correctly, this kid is an absolute idiot. He breaks every rule of hiking.

RULES OF HIKING
1. Don't hike in bad weather.
Check, it's foggy when he wanders off.
2. Always stay with another person while hiking.
Or just wander ahead alone. You know. Whatever.
3. Carry a flashlight, water, and a little food.
4. If you get lost... STAY. WHERE. YOU.
Eric Garcia
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book was short,but had very descriptive writing.The story was good and had showed ways to survive in a situation.Its similar to Hatchet where he has to find ways to survive.He tried to find camps with a telephone so that he can call his parents.He had to find spots so that he can sleep.He was walking and noticed part of his big toe was missing and probably lost it in the abandoned camp and stepped on glass.He got lost on a mountain and drifted away from security.He has to find ...more
Betsy Cornwell
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very popular book in Maine for obvious reasons. It's about what happens when a 12-year-old boy gets separated from adult care far from civilization. What he lacked in wilderness survival skills, he made up with resilience, religious training, and miscellaneous Boy Scout tips... and a lot of luck. As I read, I felt like I was on that mountain, too, with an intrepid 12-year-old beside me to tell the tale just the way he experienced it.
Donn Fendler died only recently. Throughout his life
JoAnn Plante
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book. It was written by someone other than the main character of the story, but it is written through the eyes of the lost boy. It's simple style and detailed account of what happen is fascinating. I've read some books about Maine wilderness, but this one taught me a few things. It is a story about survival, willpower to survive, determination, and faith in God. It has a happy ending and I would encourage teenagers and adults to read it.
Mindy Eddy
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Being from Maine, this was a book that all kids read in school, and when my daughter was assigned it for school, I thought I would read it again as an adult. Although the language is a bit old fashioned for today's standards and it is a bit simplistic for an adult reader, it is still worth reading. If you read it with the mindustry of a twelve year old, it is really written about right. I definitely recommend it.
Debbie
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is unbelievable but actually true. A 12-year-old boy got lost when hiking with his dad, brothers, and a friend near Mt Katahdin (at the end of the Appalachian trail). It is amazing how easily you can get lost hiking. Donn Fendler survived for 9 days in some of the worst conditions imaginable.
Andrew Kiley
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I though this was a great book because it is a true story and Don is trying to survive on little food while finding his way back down the mountain. Don is very brave because he goes down the hardest trail all by himself. He is very brave and tough, i liked this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Lost in the Wild: Danger and Survival in the North Woods
  • When You Find My Body: The Disappearance of Geraldine Largay on the Appalachian Trail
  • Getting Out Alive: The Noah Messenger Story (True Stories of Survival Book 3)
  • Into the Abyss: How a Deadly Plane Crash Changed the Lives of a Pilot, a Politician, a Criminal and a Cop
  • Lost in the Wilderness
  • The Trail
  • One True Way
  • 81 Days Below Zero: The Incredible Survival Story of a World War II Pilot in Alaska's Frozen Wilderness
  • Sesame Street 5-Minute Stories (Sesame Street)
  • I Love My Pirate Papa
  • Rocket Says Look Up!
  • Getting Out Alive: The Chase Dellwo Story (True Stories of Survival Book 2)
  • West Like Lightning: The Brief, Legendary Ride of the Pony Express
  • Strangers (The Reckoner, #1)
  • Llamas in Pajamas
  • Spider-Man, Spider-Man!: Includes CD with Song!
  • The Wizard of Oz