Start by marking “Making Thinking Visible” as Want to Read:
Making Thinking Visible

Making Thinking Visible

A proven program for enhancing students' thinking and comprehension abilities Visible Thinking is a research-based approach to teaching thinking, begun at Harvard's Project Zero, that develops students' thinking dispositions, while at the same time deepening their understanding of the topics they study. Rather than a set of fixed lessons, Visible Thinking is a varied colle ...more
Published May 3rd 2011 by Jossey-Bass (first published March 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Making Thinking Visible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Thinking Visible

Charlie
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Making Thinking Visible lobbies teachers to change from knowledge instruction towards deeper synthesizing and understanding instruction. Although this is not a new concept, Bloom's Taxonomy etc., practical routines are shared as to how to deepen student thinking while at the same time helping teachers assess this process.

One of my favored parts was the DVD accompaniment where I was able to witness teachers meeting to discuss how their routines were working in the classroom. Ego aside, student f
Stephanie
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For any educator who would like to feel like they are changing the world and wanting to learn how to create critical thinkers in the classroom, this is the book. This book teaches teachers how to foster a critical thinking environment in an educational world that just looks at scores. It promotes overall learning rather than just teaching to the test. I have already used some of these techniques in my 3rd grade classrooms and I have noticed a difference in my students' thinking as well as my thi ...more
Laura McCarthy
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
MTV is a book to make us (teachers) more thoughtful about the thinking our student do. The book identifies different types of thinking and describes a number of thinking routines that can help students 'see' their thinking and collaborate with peers. The use of the thinking routines has significantly raised the level of the language my First Graders are able to use effectively to explain and expand their thoughts. The website (Project Zero at Harvard) has a number of the routines that you can br ...more
Amy
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Teachers, READ THIS BOOK. This book, the product of ten years of research at Harvard Project Zero, provides countless thinking routines, not games, not gimmicks, but real strategies to help our students practice thinking skills in the classroom. I have already used this book to shape the language I use with the pre-service teachers who come into my classroom. I cannot wait to begin discussing learning and understanding with my students based on what I have learned from this text.

The necessity of
Monica
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book had some great strategies for getting kids to think. The most valuable part to me was seeing how others used them in their classrooms. I would have loved to see more examples and diagrams/pictures but overall very useful. I look forward to using this in my classroom.
Kim
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Everybody in education these days is talking about critical and creative thinking. It’s one of the 21st Century skills! It’s engaging, rigorous, and what employers are looking for. But what exactly is it, and how do we foster it in our classrooms (and lives)? In Making Thinking Visible, the authors give teachers some much-needed traction on this question, identifying 8 activities that are components of critical and creative thinking, and then naming and explaining 21 routines for making those co ...more
Karen
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book makes me want to go back to school again...but a school that follows what this book teaches us. Learning and thinking takes a lot of practice and deep thinking is far from teachers just teaching. Teachers must be mentors and guides. Students can take it from there. This book has many practical tools for every educator, but is also an interesting book to read for parents as well.
Syd Lindblom
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this book in bits and pieces, but it works well that way. I liked that each strategy had ideas for situations where it would work rather than just prescribing a "this works!" kind of solution. I think that it is important that we make the abstract thought process as concrete as possible for our students as often as we can, and this book starts to give ways to do that.
Joy Kirr
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ken
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this but never reviewed it. During my feverish, read-anything-about-teaching phase. When I thought being a Master Teacher was possible. Yeah. Then.
Angie Hull
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Making Thinking Visible is a crucial read for teachers who are trying to help students with deep thinking and understanding. It helps teachers guide students to make "invisible thinking" to "visible". The Thinking Routines are broken into three sections based on the level of understanding. This professional text works well in all contents and all grade levels. Enclosed with the text is a DVD of some of the Thinking Routines in action. This is a very important read for educators and one that can ...more
Mariam
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book, It helped me to look back at some of the workshops I give and I think I will always get back to it whenever I am designing a new learning experience.
Before reading this book I browsed quickly the thinking routines on the website http://www.visiblethinkingpz.org/ and I was skeptic, not sure how to use it, how to put it into context or what is so special about those routines. After reading this book I realized that it's not about the routines it self but about t
heather
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this in bits and pieces at first while searching for new ways to assist my students with reading comprehension and analysis, but came back to it more extensively over the last few weeks to help vary the learning routines for some of the students I tutor, especially those who struggle with comprehension and explaining what they are thinking. I love the organization. Each routine is outlined with its purpose, appropriate content, steps of the practice, how it can be modified for different a ...more
Angela
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was filled with some good ideas about how to see student's thinking, but the formatting and lengthiness of explanations made it difficult to skim and hard to keep focused. Overall, it's filled with some excellent strategies for teachers in every subject area and examples and tips of when to use the strategies to get the most out of them.
Alison
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In chapter one, the authors argue that “in most school settings, educators have focused more on completion of work and assignments than on a true development of understanding.” This statement captures a lot of my recent thinking about education: we need a paradigm shift that moves from teaching to learning. Simply because we’ve “taught” something doesn’t mean students have learned it.

This incredibly practical, yet thoughtful, book is centered around teachers asking “what kinds of thinking do I
Carolyn
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, teaching
If you've ever taken a class on how to teach ELLs, you've probably gotten handed the 99 Ideas and Activities book and/or even been made to lead activities from that book.

I would say that, for me, this is a much more usable and thoughtful version of that book--with only 21 activities, all fully explained with purpose, content ideas, ways to alter, assess, and in depth picture of the routine in practice.

The introductory chapters about thinking and how we do it, and how to promote it, and the final
Jen
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
This is a fantastic book with wonderful strategies to use in the classroom that could work in a wide range of age groups and subject areas. The authors really explain each strategy, how to set it up in the classroom and then give advice on what to assess as well as concrete examples of how various teachers put the strategy into place into the classroom. While I think this is a very valuable resource for ANY teacher, I think this would be especially amazing for a first year teacher needing a bunc ...more
Evonne
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always struggle to find new ways to access what kids are thinking. Well, I struggle sometimes to just get them thinking! Any time I can find some new ideas to refresh my courses, or just to bring my practise to life, I'm happy!

This book had some really good ideas. I used sticky notes all over it to remind myself of new strategies I want to try, and in which units, in which classes. It's set up well: some theory to begin with; a really practical middle section full of ideas and how to use them;
David
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another way to teach

The ideas in this book could take your classroom from "what do I want my kids to know/do at the end of this unit" to "how has what I taught changed how they think about what we did". This will benefit the children and therefore our society's future greatly but will sabotage the State's goal of measurable progress and good test scores. So my fellow teachers... what will do?
Tara
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Goes in depth into practices to help students monitor their thinking as well as ideas for teachers to assist in defining their expectations when we say “think about it”... since everyone thinks differently and I think this is a great book for educators. Reads like a professional development book so plan time to digest content so you can apply to instruction.
Debby
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an outstanding book about understanding how your students are understanding this topics you are teaching them. I read it in preparation for a week of summer study at Harvard's Project Zero conference. Outstanding! I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to move their students toward deeper understanding.
Jon
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great routines I look forward to putting into practice. I purchased this book after reading lots about the thinking routines online - and seeing many examples from classrooms. The book provides only one or two detailed examples for each, so I found my past online reading helpful when conceptualizing how I could put these routines into practice.
April Pocklington
My a lot to think about

There are good ideas in this book. Many I will share with teachers. Many I will ignore. I anxious to work with both my digital and hard copy of this book to create an outline.
Mindy
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Excellent resource. We read this for my educators' book club. I appreciated the theory and descriptions of what we think is "thinking" and how we can truly encourage deep thinking through our language and the opportunities we present to our students.
Laurie
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was revisiting this book. Lots of ways to help students process and retain information with a personal connection. I like how strategies were explained in terms of not only how to implement but also assessment and tips. There is good online back-up information at their website.
Tiffany MacSlarrow
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Have already started trying out more thinking routines and am excited to try more - preparing myself for the long-journey ahead as I work towards making student thinking and learning more visible in the classroom!!!
Andrea Lakly
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots of practical suggestions for how to bring meta-cognition into your classroom.
kevin browning
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
MTV is a book that helps teachers see the process of student thinking by providing research based techniques for making student's thought process visible.
Alisha
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lots of quick, practical thinking routines that can be used with learners of all ages. Great for discussion, introductory activities, and reflection. I will use this.
David Pulliam
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second and third part are worth it

Skip the first third, the second and third parts are great. You'll find great practical ideas to introduce into your classroom there.
Bryn Mawr School ...: Making thinking visable 1 3 Jul 02, 2018 01:47PM
  • Visible Learning for Teachers: Maximizing Impact on Learning
  • Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions
  • So What Do They Really Know?: Assessment That Informs Teaching and Learning
  • Real Revision: Authors' Strategies to Share with Student Writers
  • Making Learning Whole: How Seven Principles of Teaching Can Transform Education
  • Leaders of Their Own Learning: Transforming Schools Through Student-Engaged Assessment
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Book Love: Developing Depth, Stamina, and Passion in Adolescent Readers
  • Notice and Note: Strategies for Close Reading
  • Teaching Argument Writing, Grades 6-12: Supporting Claims with Relevant Evidence and Clear Reasoning
  • High-Impact Instruction: A Framework for Great Teaching
  • Choice Words: How Our Language Affects Children's Learning
  • Fair Isn't Always Equal: Assessing  Grading in the Differentiated Classroom
  • Pathways to the Common Core: Accelerating Achievement
  • Who Owns the Learning? Preparing Students for Success in the Digital Age
  • Comprehension & Collaboration: Inquiry Circles in Action
  • Leaders of Learning: How District, School, and Classroom Leaders Improve Student Achievement
  • Teaching with Intention: Defining Beliefs, Aligning Practice, Taking Action, K-5
Ron Ritchhart is currently a Senior Research Associate at Harvard Project Zero where his work focuses on such issues as teaching for understanding, the development of intellectual character, creative teaching, making students' thinking visible, and most recently the development of school and classroom culture. Ron's research and writings, particularly his theory of Intellectual Character and frame ...more
“Bloom identified a sequence of six learning objectives that he felt moved from lower-order to higher-order thinking: knowledge, comprehension, application, analysis, synthesis, and evaluation. However, these ideas were just a theory and were not based on research on learning. Nonetheless, they have become codified into the way many teachers are taught to think about thinking.” 1 likes
“independence as” 0 likes