Start by marking “Weighing In: Obesity, Food Justice, and the Limits of Capitalism” as Want to Read:
Weighing In: Obesity, Food Justice, and the Limits of Capitalism

Weighing In: Obesity, Food Justice, and the Limits of Capitalism (California Studies in Food and Culture #32)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  181 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Weighing In takes on the "obesity epidemic," challenging many widely held assumptions about its causes and consequences. Julie Guthman examines fatness and its relationship to health outcomes to ask if our efforts to prevent "obesity" are sensible, efficacious, or ethical. She also focuses the lens of obesity on the broader food system to understand why we produce cheap, o ...more
Published November 5th 2011 by University of California Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Weighing In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weighing In

sdw
Have you ever wanted to stand up and applaud in the middle of the book? Stop whatever you are doing and acquire a copy of Guthman’s book. If you care about food issues, social justice issues, the environment, or economic justice, you need to hear what Guthman has to say.

What is the root cause of the obesity epidemic? Guthman will undercut just about every answer you think you have. What we need, Guthman argues, is not will power but the will to power.

She starts by questioning the very concept
Chelsea
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Weighing In is an excellent demonstration of how political ecology can be deployed to deepen our understanding of an incredibly complicated issue. Guthman provides an accessible overview of what political ecology is, and how it contrasts with apolitical ecologies, before applying it to the problem of obesity.

While I applaud Guthman’s approach, I do not agree with all of her conclusions. I was particularly troubled by her skepticism of the value of education in tackling the problems of our indus
Krista Aoki
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
If you consider Michael Pollan's history of the subsidization of food in The Omnivore's Dilemma well-researched (which I did), Julie Guthman will go above and beyond for you. Their analysis of the food system and its political history complement each other, and I think it would do anyone very well to get a basic framework of the current status of the food system for Pollan.

Still, Guthman's critique of the food system seems much more concise, as she takes a firmer stand against the neoliberalist
Rachel
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julie Guthman is fast becoming my favorite author on this food journey o'mine. I have appreciated reading several of her articles, but this book has been a new favorite for me.

At times humorous (every time she throws Michael Pollan under the bus) and at times sharp witted and critical (critiquing food justice and the food movement) Weighing In provides an overall critique of the rhetoric used within the food movement; the way bodies are used as sites of consumerism and capitalism by industries w
Della S.white
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Portion sizes in eating establishments have blown out of proportion. Foods companies under the claim that they give people what they want have redefined the meaning of small, medium, and large and people have lost sense of what a portion is and eat more.

Economics weighs heavily on the food crisis. It costs more to eat well and to exercise. Modern technology made food cheaper and physical activity less needed. The food is manufactures is full of fat and sugar and causes obesity. The present econ
Jill Lucht
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long while to get through this book, but not because it isn't excellent, interesting, and thought-provoking. After burning out in the land of non-profit farm policy, I became entranced by the market-based solutions of alternative food. Unfortunately, Guthman put me back on the hook for collaborative, forward-thinking policy work. Quite frankly, it is the neo-liberal market-based food economy that got us into the obesity epidemic, and market-based solutions are not going to get all o ...more
Emily
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Weighing In, Guthman questions many of the widely held assumptions about obesity, some of which rocked my public health education a bit - for example, that built environment interventions are for naught due to the greater influence of socioeconomic status. It's certainly a provocative and important book that is worthy of a place in public health, nutrition, and food studies to start.

I'm presenting a paper on a panel with Guthman in June 2012 at ASFS and am glad that I read her book prior to
Allison
Jun 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
I read this one twice, for two different classes in grad school, and I had a different take on the book both times. The first time, I was frustrated with the seemingly fat-positive author and her criticisms of the obesity epidemic. The second time around, armed with a better understanding of healthism, neo-liberalism, and the implications of obesity in America, I found it to be a very worthwhile read.
Maggie Mayhem
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good read analyzing the neoliberalism of "health" among other topics. Smart and relevant, a necessary contrast to Michael Pollan and a strong indictment of the notion that raising the cost of food would be a pathway to American health.
Holly
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Guthman discussed a lot of things that no other food activist has really brought up yet. Some of her points are very valid. However the first half of the book seemed to take an anti-science stance, which bothered me a little.
Mya
Apr 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfic-soc-econ
This was an interesting look at food politics, the science of obesity, & the social (mis)perceptions of the health issues involved in being overweight. However, it was also clearly written as a scholarly work rather than to reach popular culture & so was a bit tedious in places.
Julia
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
REQUIRED
Kelsey Layos
Very interesting, thought-provoking book. It's definitely made me reassess my biasses towards folks I perceive as unhealthy, and my own privileged life.
Brandy
Jan 03, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, food
Putting this one back on the to-read shelf because I had to rush through parts
Kelsey
Interesting approach to considering the so-called obesity epidemic. Prompts important questions about alternative explanations and how we might begin to effectively reduce harms to health.
Laurie
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Challenged widely-held ideas including my own on the definition, causes and impacts of obesity on society and the economy.
Susie
May 21, 2013 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Em sent this to me and it's a feasible way to look at obesity and the way our current issues about food.
Nick Harris
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Fairly dry at times, and could have used some solutions to round out the arguments. However, filled with some thought provoking critiques, particularly for alternative food and obesity measurement
Alissa
May 07, 2017
Tanya
Apr 14, 2013
Hillary
rated it did not like it
Nov 30, 2012
Blake
Jan 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Cultivating Food Justice: Race, Class, and Sustainability
  • Food Justice
  • Paradox of Plenty: A Social History of Eating in Modern America (California Studies in Food and Culture, 8)
  • Free for All: Fixing School Food in America (California Studies in Food and Culture, 28)
  • Chicken: The Dangerous Transformation of America's Favorite Food
  • Fat Politics: The Real Story Behind America's Obesity Epidemic
  • Closing the Food Gap: Resetting the Table in the Land of Plenty
  • Appetite for Change: How the Counterculture Took on the Food Industry
  • Foodopoly: The Battle Over the Future of Food and Farming in America
  • Food Rebellions!: Forging Food Sovereignty to Solve the Global Food Crisis
  • Stuffed And Starved: Markets, Power And The Hidden Battle For The World Food System
  • The Obesity Myth: Why America's Obsession with Weight is Hazardous to Your Health
  • Food and Culture: A Reader
  • Fat Shame: Stigma and the Fat Body in American Culture
  • Appetite for Profit: How the Food Industry Undermines Our Health and How to Fight Back
  • Fair Food: Growing a Healthy, Sustainable Food System for All
  • Just Food: Where Locavores Get It Wrong and How We Can Truly Eat Responsibly
  • Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies: Migrant Farmworkers in the United States

California Studies in Food and Culture (1 - 10 of 60 books)
  • Dangerous Tastes: The Story of Spices
  • Eating Right in the Renaissance (California Studies in Food and Culture, 2)
  • Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health
  • Camembert: A  National Myth (California Studies in Food and Culture, 4)
  • Safe Food: Bacteria, Biotechnology, and Bioterrorism
  • Eating Apes (California Studies in Food and Culture, 6)
  • Revolution at the Table: The Transformation of the American Diet (California Studies in Food and Culture, 7)
  • Zinfandel: A History of a Grape and Its Wine
  • Tsukiji: The Fish Market at the Center of the World
“In any case, seeing care for certain groups as an excessive cost reflects an arguably perverse way of thinking about health care in terms of human need. [...] In other words, care for the sick is an economic burden only in health care systems where profit is the bottom line and public services are underfunded and politically unsupported - that is, systems in which only market logic is considered legitimate.” 4 likes