Start by marking “Davi (Tales of Suruale, #1)” as Want to Read:
Davi (Tales of Suruale, #1)

Davi (Tales of Suruale #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  32 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Humans and dwarfs have been at odds for generations. When human blacksmith Davi is sent to the Dwarven King to reopen the local trade routes, he finds himself more at home with his enemies than he ever did with his own kind.
Published (first published March 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Davi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Davi

Sheila
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Davi is an intriguing fantasy with a nicely created world of dwarves and humans, elves and other creatures waiting in the eaves. It’s the first in a fantasy series Tales of Suruale by multiply-published scriptwriter Roy C. Booth and twice-published poet Brian Woods.

In this world, humans and dwarves are long-time enemies, but greed and trade are worth more than animosity, and the human metal-worker Davi, an outcast among his own people, is sent to the dwarves to reopen communications. Davi finds
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Davi has the misfortune to not have friends and not be accepted in his human village. He is given a task by one of the leaders of the town he lives in to travel to the dwarves and open trade routes. Davi knows that the task he has been given is not for the benefit of the village, but to remove him from his land and from the village.

Davi travels to see the King of the Dwaves. His pureness and the quality of his work with metal gain him entrance where others would not. He proves that he is a black
Amy
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Davi is a short, sweet novella about the human of the same name. Sent from his home on an impossible quest, he chooses his own path. He uses his humble personality and his unique talents as a master smith to befriend the dwarfs and to create a new life, a new family.

At a few points in the novella, I was nervous for Davi. I didn't trust the dwarfs and I thought for sure that they were going to turn on him. But they didn't. They accepted him as a brother, they appreciated his talents and his pres
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
May 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2011

The premise of the storyline sounded intriguing: a human leaving his own kind to find his way with the dwarves. To me, this sounds like a difficult journey full of challenges, resistance and racism. Hopefully with an outcome highlighting how strength of character and persista
Lady E
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very fun, heartwarming tale about a man finding the place where he truly belongs. I felt as though I were striding alongside Davi and his friends throughout their wonderful journeys. I can't wait to read more about these characters.
The plot was well thought out and the characters were very well developed. There was sufficient conflict to draw the reader in and keep them interested. The story took an unexpected turn and I was pleasantly surprised.
Keep up the fantastic work!!
Darlene
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I recieved this book free through GoodReads First Reads and was pleasantly suprised with this book!
DAVI is an entertaining novella about about a man searching for where he belongs. The author convinced me I knew this man and his friends and I was beside them through the entire book. Not a dull moment, for the travels are exciting and keep you wondering what's going to develope next.
Short and sweet...and I hope there is more to come.
Mareena
Nov 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes fantasy
Recommended to Mareena by: Brian C. Woods
Dwarves and humans have been at war for generations. When blacksmith Davi is sent into the dwarven kingdom - on the heels of his house being burned - to open trade routes between his people with the dwarves, he doesn't expect to find the acceptance he craves among his enemies. I really enjoyed this fantasy novella and hope for more stories of Saruale soon. I give it an A+!
Kris
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Vivian
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
When I was first asked to read and review a fantasy novella about humans and dwarves I was a little hesitant, namely because I wasn't sure I would like it. Imagine my surprise when I read Davi - Tales of Suruale and found that I liked it (kind of...sort of liked it). Yes this is a fantasy novella and yes it includes humans, dwarves (or dwarfs), elves (mentioned only), gargoyles and nocturnes (one presumes this refers to vampires because we don't really meet any), but it isn't in your face with t ...more
Holly Full Moon Bites Book Reviews
I really liked this short novella by Brian Woods and Roy C. Booth. They are both new authors to me, but I found great ones.

Davi, a human and one of the best blacksmiths around was taught the trade by his father doesn't really fit in with his own people and soon finds himself on a journey.

In this book the humans and dwarves do not really get along that being said the trade routes between Kronthor and Davi's home Hoon, have been cut off for some time and the people of Hoon are running low on food.
Albert
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Overall Feedback: A brilliantly written YA fantasy. This will whisk it's reader away to a land of humans and Dwarves. Young readers will love this story form the first page to the last.

Point of View: You follow Davi around throughout the story.

Voice: The biggest thing I got from the story was a theme of racial tolerance.

Character Development: The author was superb in their character development. You get a real sense of being there with Davi.

Plot: Although we have heard of humans and dwarves in t
melydia
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Let's start with full disclosure: the authors sent me a pre-release copy of this novella to review specifically so I could write an encouraging blurb for the back cover. That didn't guarantee I would like it (I'm a bad liar, so you can't really expect me to give a glowing review unless I am actually glowing), but the flattery of being asked did cause me to strut and preen. Now back to the book: Humans and dwarfs have been at odds for generations. When human blacksmith Davi is sent to the Dwarven ...more
Michael Karpovage
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Davi is a fast-paced fantasy adventure that will keep you turning pages well into the night. Excellent dialogue and action round out this feel-good tale of a man finding himself, proving himself, and ultimately being accepted as a hero for a race he once thought his enemy.
Digital Accord
Apr 23, 2011
Kristina Franken
Sep 05, 2012
Brian Woods
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Justen Brown
David Stegora
Apr 06, 2015
 book
Jun 30, 2011
  • Mulogo's Treatise on Wizardry: A Wizard's Guide to Survival in a World Where People Want to Kill You and Take Your Stuff
  • Anansi Island
  • Clan Lord: Science Fiction Adventure Short Stories (Life Sticks)
  • Choke (The Breathless, #2)
  • Into the Abyss (Rogue Hunter: Gaia #1)
  • Dry Ice
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • The Nymph’s Labyrinth (Nymph #1)
  • The Vampire Hunter's Daughter Collectors Edition (The Vampire Hunter's Daughter, #1-3)
  • My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
  • My Enchanted Life
  • Every Day On Earth: Fun Facts That Happen Every 24 Hours
  • Annexed (The Refuge Trilogy, #1)
  • The Door to Canellin (Gatehouse #1)
  • 101 Success Secrets for Gifted Kids, The Ultimate Handbook
  • The Blackhope Enigma  (The Blackhope Enigma, #1)
  • Cheat On Your Husband (with Your Husband): How to Date Your Spouse
  • Mind Games (Mindjack Origins #1)

Tales of Suruale (2 books)
  • Cythe (Tales of Suruale #2)