Start by marking “The Story and Its Writer: An Introduction To Short Fiction” as Want to Read:
The Story and Its Writer: An Introduction To Short Fiction

The Story and Its Writer: An Introduction To Short Fiction

During her many years of teaching introduction to fiction courses, Ann Charters developed an acute sense of which stories work most effectively in the classroom. She also discovered that writers, not editors, have the most interesting and useful things to say about the making and the meaning of fiction. Accordingly, her choice of fiction in the first edition of her The Sto ...more
Paperback
Published August 15th 1998 by Not Avail (first published 1983)

Lizgreen79
Sep 25, 2008 Lizgreen79 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great choice for an intro to lit class. I used it for my Short Story Writing class this fall with great results. It has an excellent far-reaching selection of "canonical," "multi-cultural" and "marginal/experimental" texts and the latest edition even includes a section on graphic novels in the back. Tried and true. I also look forward to dipping into it here and there for years to come and would be happy to teach with it again.
Josiphine/Tessa
Obviously I didn't read the whole thing. This class just about changed my mind about short stories.

(view spoiler)
Mr. Brammer
Aug 04, 2015 Mr. Brammer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some earth-shattering works of fiction here - Tolstoy's "The Death of Ivan Ilych", Ellison's "Battle Royale", Joyce Carol Oates' "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been". The anthology is arranged alphabetically, so there is a thematic randomness if you read it straight through. The variety of modern and contemporary stories reveal one common trait of genius writers - the ability to observe the human scene.
Matt
May 15, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the best thing ever.

---

Obviously I didn't read every single story or essay in here. I will eventually, but I've gotten so much out of this collection, and look at it as a "return to at your convenience" sort of thing, not something you read from cover to cover. The Story and Its Writer is a collection of dreams; it's a celebration of life, death, and the limitations of humanity.
Clare Azzopardi
Jan 15, 2017 Clare Azzopardi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a perfect book for those who want to know more about the short story ...
cassie
May 12, 2017 cassie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people that love reading
Shelves: school
I did not read all the stories as this was for school, but I enjoyed the selection of stories and authors avalible. The biggest problem I had was Ann Charters appendices which had less information than my high school text books.
Maki
Jul 09, 2017 Maki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite book that I read in College for English class. I loved all of the short stories in this book.
Emorgan05
Jan 26, 2014 Emorgan05 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this is the new textbook that I am using in my Introduction to Fiction class. I generally don't count short stories (except those that are featured on my list of books I haven't read), but I've read this entire book now (in the past two weeks) and I want credit for that!

To the actual review part, this is a great anthology. There is an amazingly wide variety of stories pulled together here and great choices were made about which to include. My one disappointment is that Chambers has focused so
Aaron
Dec 12, 2015 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Note: this review is for the ninth edition) I was in a survey of fiction class this semester that used this book and I couldn't be happier with it. I decided to buy it (rather than rent it) as soon as I noticed the cover was a drawing by Adrian Tomine. Soon enough I realized that Ann Charters managed to include five graphic stories in this anthology among all the other great pieces. This is the most exciting anthology I've seen in college and it blows Norton and Longman's out of the water in my ...more
Jared
One of the books I had to get during a college course that I'm glad I did. Someday I'll hunt down another copy to keep around.

This is a great resource for short fiction, this type of book is something I'd like to see more of. With collected short stories, you don't often get the appendices of discussing the parts of a story. And that makes sense: you're not looking for a course on reading with every anthology you pick up.

Even so, Charters includes a list of questions to ask yourself when writing
kelley
I read this book because It's been a long time since I was in school and needed a refresher course on how to write a short story. This is my son's college text book. I found it helpful and informative with just two short chapters on what elements are found in a short story. The rest of the 1069 pages of this book are short story selections and notes about the authors. I did not read the entire book. But I did read a number of the stories. It's been kind of fun reading a little story here and the ...more
Jessica Martin
Nov 21, 2011 Jessica Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
I had to purchase this for my first college English class and really loved the variety of stories and authors. The class I used this text for was a huge factor in why I chose to major in English. It's a great book to have on your shelf. I find myself turning back to it all the time to reread some of my favorite stories and to get acquainted with the style of authors I'm curious about of stories that are referenced in academic articles. It's a great way for someone who is just starting out on the ...more
Michael Mayer
Oct 24, 2007 Michael Mayer rated it it was amazing
I read Charters when I started reading up on Kerouac and his crew; it didn't dawn on me until later that she had also edited my undergraduate short story writing textbook. I ended up dropping the course but kept the book. This is one of the best anthologies out there with hardly a stinker in the bunch (over 1000 pages of stories). Some of my favorite authors and their best short stories are here: Raymond Carter, Angela Carter, Joyce Carol Oates, Flannery O'Connor with commentary both by these au ...more
Chloe
Mar 12, 2009 Chloe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the way of textbooks this one is really incredible. It has a truly great collection of short stories, and yes, there are fewer than the full edition, but it is almost more essential as a result. They have narrowed it down to the most key and often used. Every story I have read from this so far has been really gifted writing. The supplemental materials in the book are also at times interesting. Mostly, I really just recommend the book for the quality of short stories collected herein.
Jose Moch
May 23, 2012 Jose Moch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for college students. It gives pointers from the very same writers about how to read and write short stories. Their comments about their own work or that others is really enlightening. It is also very helpful for students since it teaches in one section how to write essays. The only think that I didn't like and that's the reason I didn't give it five stars was because it doesn't include some great short story writers like O'Henry, Capote and Henry James among many others.
Steve
Sep 16, 2010 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the text for my English Literature class at BYU. Financial circumstances caused me to sell it and regret it for years. I found a different edition that is missing a few of the stories I loved, like The Catbird Seat and The Things They Carried, but it has The Yellow Wallpaper, Young Goodman Brown,and A Good Man Is Hard To Find. This is a great collection of short stories and commentary on those stories.
Deborah A.
Oct 02, 2011 Deborah A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I reviewed a lot of short story anthologies to teach a short fiction class, and this one was wonderful. It includes a lot of the classics students hadn't read on their own -- Gogol, Chekhov, Kafka, and contemporary writers as well. Concise bios and a whole section of critical essays. The students loved it, as did I. My only complaint is that it's printed on the thinnest, most see-through paper you've ever seen.
Leorah
Mar 28, 2011 Leorah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taking a class in reading the greats. This anthology looks fantastic! First two stories to read: Marquez and Bender.

For this class we read quite a few of the stories in this collection. It is a wonderful anthology. Seems as if some stories are found in all my anthologies, but I was exposed to some new writers such as Bender and really enjoyed expanding my knowledge base.
Kathryn
Apr 25, 2008 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I have read many of these short stories before, but my favorite this time around was James Joyce's "The Dead." I cant believe after all these years of education, I had never read this short story before. It was amazing.

I also liked the commentary at the end of the book that included critiques of works within the book, essays by authors, writing/reading advice and so much more.
Faye
Feb 19, 2016 Faye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read the book cover to cover. One rarely does in a text book situation. There are so many wonderful short stories in the book. Some I had read and some I hadn't. I especially love the profiles on each author and how they discussed a bit about their writing process and style. This is a book I'll keep instead of selling back because you'll never find so many great stories in one place!
Laura Neu
Feb 17, 2014 Laura Neu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the most incredible compilation. Not only does it include a vast array of authors (from Shirley Jackson to Edgar Allan Poe to George Saunders, to Alice Munro) but it includes a comprehensive collection of essays by renowned authors and critics alike, not to mention sections on how to write, etc. This is truly a phenomenal text.
Dallian
May 13, 2013 Dallian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Obviously I haven't gotten to every story in this compilation yet but I have gained insight from every one that I have. Great buy - worth every penny, and I'd recommend it to anyone. I bought it for school and I've never been more happy with a class-assigned text.
Omnipotent Dystopian Now
Packed with excellent short stories-new and old. This is a nice compilation to keep on the night stand for a quick read before bed, or a just a good way to discover talented writers you may not have heard of.
Erin
Dec 29, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
I have used this book, in its many editions, in my Art of the Short Story class. I love the selection, although she still hasn't chosen just the right David Foster Wallace Story ("Forever Overhead" would be my choice) and must include "Here We Aren't, So Quickly" in the next iteration.
Angie
Nov 08, 2008 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Angie by: Dr. Eneves
I took a short story class and even though the class wasn't amazing I really enjoy this book. I haven't read all the stories of course but I discovered a lot of great authors and have found a lot of good books threw this book
Quirkyreader
Jul 29, 2012 Quirkyreader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my university text books.

I used it in combination with my Norton's and Fiction 100 book.

This book contains Faulkner's supernatural stories, "The Rockinghorse Winner" and "A Rose For Emily".
Nina
Jan 27, 2010 Nina marked it as to-be-continued  ·  review of another edition
text for my short story writing class... it's a really good anthology, includes old guys like hemingway and faulkner and awesome female writers like margaret atwood and jhumpa lahiri, so far my new fav writer is sherwood anderson
Dacie
Oct 14, 2008 Dacie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful collection of short stories and writers' commentaries. We only delved into a handful during the course of my Literature class, but there are over one hundred traditional, classic, and new short stories to enjoy. This is a great book to have on hand!
Peggy
Sep 22, 2009 Peggy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far, my favorites are Woody Allen's "Kugelmass Episode," Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings," and Lorrie Moore's "How to Become a Writer." Allen and Moore's pieces are hilarious, and Marquez's is as brilliant as his novel "One Hundred Years of Solitude."
Toshio
Nov 19, 2007 Toshio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a strong back
Been using the newest edition of this for a class I'm TA'ing. It's one of the most comprehensive collections I've seen and the essays and criticism in the back are engaging and illuminating. But boy, it's heavy. The best thing was it was free! Too bad I spilled tamagoyaki on it...
  • The American Tradition in Literature
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature: The Major Authors
  • Literature: An Introduction to Fiction, Poetry, and Drama
  • Anthology of American Literature, Volume 1: Colonial through Romantic
  • The Best American Short Stories 1998
  • Best Short Stories of Jack London
  • The Norton Anthology of World Literature, Volume F: The Twentieth Century
  • The Scribner Anthology of Contemporary Short Fiction: Fifty North American American Stories Since 1970
  • The Bulwark
  • Three Complete Novels: Howards End, A Room with a View, Where Angels Fear to Tread
  • Byron's Poetry
  • The Decay of Lying
  • The Fourth Genre: Contemporary Writers Of/On Creative Nonfiction
  • The Best American Short Stories 2000
  • American Short Story Masterpieces: A Rich Selection of Recent Fiction from America's Best Modern Writers
  • The Lunatic at Large