Start by marking “My Name Is Iran” as Want to Read:
My Name Is Iran

My Name Is Iran

A century of family tales from two beloved but divided homelands, Iran and America

Drawing on her remarkable personal history, NPR producer Davar Ardalan brings us the lives of three generations of women and their ordeals with love, rejection, and revolution. Her American grandmother's love affair with an Iranian physician took her from New York to Iran in 1931. Ardalan her
Published January 9th 2007 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about My Name Is Iran, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Name Is Iran

Walker Lamond
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely exploration of Iranian history, family, and personal identity. The story of the author's American grandmother and her journey to Iran is especially fascinating, as is the author's first hand account of Iran during the revolution.
Colin
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice memoir of a revered journalist and family friend. Insightful to Persian culture, the way reality and folklore intertwine and the tension between tradition and modernity. Davar a pioneer, really enjoyed reading!
Slygly
Sep 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
My Name is Iran by Davar Ardalan is an astonishing and inspiring memoir of three generations of Iranian-American women who wander repeatedly between the two countries and extremes of living, sometimes becoming key players in Iranian politics and history. The volume proves without a doubt that every daughter is destined to turn into her mother, eventually. This wasn't my usual sort of favorite book that keeps me up all night with sweaty palms and prevents me from eating on time, but I was nonethe ...more
Colleen Clark
Dec 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, turkey-me
The author, whose first name is Iran, was born of Iranian parents in San Francisco in 1964. Her parents had been brought up in the US, one of her grandmothers is an non-Iranian American. When she was still an infant, her architect father took a job in an obscure town named Suleyman's Mosque in southwestern Iran, much closer to Basra, Iraq than to Tehran. A lot of the book is about the complicated history of her family. She spent a lot of her early years going back and forth between the US and Ir ...more
Fadillah
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was impressed how Davar managed to trace her lineal of both her grandparents in maternal and paternal side. This book, at first, failed to attract my attention. Iran has been one of my great interests among others. I may not have been there yet but i always try finding a reading materials that associated with the country but to be honest, this book would not be my first pick. However, i'm starting to get invested little by little when Davar start telling from her soul and shared her inner stru ...more
Jenny Hawley
Feb 15, 2014 rated it liked it
This was an interesting book, but it wasn't the most engaging to read. I have read a lot of non-fiction and memoirs, and some are just more page-turning than others. This one was a little slow. I felt a lot of it was just her style of writing. It's very straight-forward, factual, which, of course, is necessary in non-fiction, but it lacked some of the stylistic flair of other non-fiction accounts I've read
Katie
Dec 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Davar Ardalan certainly has a unique, rich and complex family history. I appreciated her candor about her journey to know herself, and I enjoyed the windoe ino her cultural experiences and perspectives. I was very interested in and impressed by her work with NPR. She is a lovely person who I would enjoy meeting someday!
Lynette Hague
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
This is the first book I have read with insight into the history and culture of Iran. My only previous experience with Iran was back in Jr. High when we had to journal about the hostage crisis. I did enjoy the later part of the book when the author was able to relate more of the stories and impact of her great grandfather and his work.
Lori Mendenhall
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
while I think this could have been a very interesting book, I just didn't care about the author's family details very much. I read the beginning and then started skimming through to the halfway point. didn't read the end so maybe it got better in the middle. anyway, was disappointed in this one didn't grab me at all.
Jamie
Aug 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Interesting perspective about life in Iran, if you don't know much about Iran this is book can help you understand what normal life is like. I didn't care much for the author's writing style, it seemed a little self conscious to me.
Patricia
Feb 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Her story is fascinating and she does an admirable job of sharing the beauty of Iran and Iranian culture. However, I lost interest several times throughout the book as her writing style became more of a recording of events than a personal memoir.
Taliya Ali
Nov 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
i read it till i reached the middle of it and the i've stopped.. it was really boring but i used to tell myself to continue reading maybe it will change and becomes interesting.. but unfortunately it became worse so i stopped.. dont waste ur time, read another book ;)
Gaelle
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Very disappointing -- dropped it about 2/3 through, as I just didn't find it that interesting.
Heidi
Sep 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Introspective and honest, if not occasionally self-indulgent and flighty.
Cknot1sk
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
i was expecting a lot more from this book. while i love reading about iran, i found her style jumpy, and i lacked empathy for her and her family.
Mom - Joanne
Oct 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
The rich culture, intellect and beauty of Iran is a breath of fresh air in view of the scare news pushed in today's news.
Kristy
Jun 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is an insightful book on some of the events that took place through the eyes of someone that lived in Iran during the revolution. It also depicts her life here in the western culture.
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: iran, non-fiction
This was annoying--not very well written and disorganized.
Tammy
Jul 09, 2009 marked it as to-read
B Ardalan
Julie
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Davar is my Friend and her book is amazing!
Katherine
Aug 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Couldn't finish. Well written...but needed a break from the memoir/autobiograpy rutt that I've been in so I doidn't finish it.
Jan 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
love anything about Iran
Abs
Apr 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-east
If you want to think deeply about religion and see the other side, this is great. It helps to see inside the head of an Iranian-American and her division between Muslim and Christian faiths.
Howard Cincotta
Reading for feature article that will run on the State Department's Persian Web page.
Julie
May 29, 2008 rated it did not like it
Save yourself--don't crack this binding!
Melissa
a little hard to follow at times because she jumps around chronologically and focuses on different family members, but an interesting book for sure.
Michelle Fitzgerald
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it
A great book which takes time to delve into the history of Iran for those not familiar.
rated it it was ok

• My Prison, My Home: One Woman's Story of Captivity in Iran
  • Saffron Sky: A Life between Iran and America
  • Searching for Hassan: A Journey to the Heart of Iran
  • We Are Iran: The Persian Blogs
  • My Sister, Guard Your Veil; My Brother, Guard Your Eyes: Uncensored Iranian Voices
  • To See and See Again: A Life in Iran and America
  • Persian Mirrors: The Elusive Face of Iran
  • Honeymoon in Tehran: Two Years of Love and Danger in Iran
  • Cry of the Peacock
  • Maman's Homesick Pie: A Persian Heart in an American Kitchen
  • Treacherous Alliance: The Secret Dealings of Israel, Iran, and the United States
  • The Rose Hotel: A Memoir of Secrets, Loss, and Love From Iran to America
  • Heaven On Earth: A Journey Through Shari'a Law from the Deserts of Ancient Arabia to the Streets of the Modern Muslim World
  • Journey from the Land of No: A Girlhood Caught in Revolutionary Iran
  • Jasmine and Stars: Reading More Than Lolita in Tehran
  • Warrior Women: 3000 Years of Courage and Heroism
  • The Enough Moment: Fighting to End Africa's Worst Human Rights Crimes
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: I Can't Believe My Cat Did That!: 101 Stories about the Crazy Antics of Our Feline Friends