Start by marking “Blaze (Braddock-Black, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blaze (Braddock-Black, #1)

Blaze

(Braddock-Black #1)

The gold rush sparked a new American dream for those who staked their claims in the rich soil of undeveloped Indian territories. To Blaze Braddock, beautiful, pampered daughter of a millionaire, it was a chance to flee stifling codes of Boston society. But when Jon Hazard Black, a proud young Absarokee chief, challenged her father's land claim, Blaze was swept up in a storm of passions s ...more
Published August 1st 1992 by Bantam (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Blaze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blaze

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
 photo JohnsonBraddockBlack1TitlebySueBee_zpsa60d118a.jpg
 photo BB1AbySueBee_zps706d94ec.gif
 photo BB1BbySueBee_zpsd87b7bcc.gif
★★★★★! The Braddock-Black series, book 1 of 5. Harvard educated, rich & handsome playboy, Absarokee Indian chief, Jon Hazard Black fights for a legacy & the heart of Blaze Braddock!

UK EDITION SERIES INFO & REVIEW
Braddock-Black series
Book 1
Formats: Kindle & paperback in both US/UK

Introducing the Braddock-Black family saga, starting with its matriarch Jon Hazard Black; an Absarokee Indian chief, Harvard educated attorney, rich and successful business man, land & mine owner plus gorgeous and sexy playboy. Hazard has managed to moBraddock!
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★

Braddock-Black series
Book 1
Formats: Kindle & paperback in both US/UK

Duchess Nicole
One of my all time favorite Native American Historicals...truly, a well researched and lovely nod to a little known tribe called the Absarokee. This book highlights the later years of the struggle of these proud people after the Civil War. When the realization that their way of life was nearly over, and a new one forced upon them by settlers. It's easy to vilify white people in books like this but there is a sense of peace in this book, underneath the obvious angst and hardship. The Absarokee and Lakota portrayed h ...more
LuvGirl
3.5 stars. After all these years of being a huge Susan Johnson fan, I finally read Blaze!! To tell you the truth, the reason why I didn’t read this book before is because I was never really a big fan of the Native American Indian romance. The storyline just never appealed to me. I hate reading historical settings in which a set of ignorant people feel like they are superior to others because of the color of their skins. I know it's never really the hero or heroine, but it still annoys.That’s why ...more
Neha
It's really really boring. The twists in the plot are really silly and too many. The author just goes on and on about silly explanations which are just not required. The characters are one dimensional. I don't get Blaze's desirability, she's loud, irrational, overly possessive and irritatingly immature. Hazard is just slightly better. This style of writing falls under the old school of thought where the author is not happy till the lead pair goes through enormously difficult conditions and are a ...more
Mousiechan
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Glad I had my knitting to hand as I could read a page then knit - such a roller coaster of a tale that my heart leapt and sank by turns and I needed some distraction while the story made up its mind which way to jump. At its most basic, it's a love story but it's also shot through with sadness as 'progress' and its corruption threaten an older way of life. There's murder and mayhem aplenty but also honour and courage offset the move violent parts.

The characters are all entirely credible and are
Michele
Nov 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
HOT HOT HOT
Christine (KizzieReads)
There were several things that bothered me about this book. It worked out in the end, but the beginning was annoying. This is the first historical romance I have read, where the main male character is sleeping with so many women and thinking it's great. Even when they know about each other. Most historical romances, have the reader know about one main girl that he has been with in the past, but you never read about it. It's already happened. This one, oh no. Several women before he meets Blaze.< ...more
Bridget
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-normal
2013: Second time was just as good as the first. I loved the characters. Reading other reviews complain about how improbable the events in the story have reminded me that this is FICTION and everything does not have to be "probable". Entrancing and romantic, exciting and full of high adventure in the wilds of Montana, charming and sophisticated in the cultured upper stratosphere of the East. Also fascinating historical tidbits. Loved it.

2012: A Books Free Swap find (along with Book #
Oleta Blaylock
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
While I love this book there are times I wish I could go through and get rid of the details. Ms Johnson does her homework about the era and place she is writing about, going so far as to add footnotes to the story. This story is set in the post Civil War West more specifically the territory of Montana. This is a story of one man's attempt to save his people from extinction. Along the way he falls for a Boston debutante that is head strong and intelligent. Blaze is more than a match for Hazard Bl ...more
Tracy
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Got to give this 4.5 stars. It was really good and the characters were well developed. Reading about Hazard and the Absarokee tribe was wonderful. Hazard was an amazing character and showed so much grace and strength under pressure. I loved how he dealt with situations. Blaze also grew on me. No doubt she was initially more of a spoiled bored debutant but she grew into a woman who was much stronger and worthy. The villains Yancy and Millicent were really quite evil and I despised them which made ...more
Wateena
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Susan Johnson's Blaze is the start of the BRADDOCK BLACK Series and personally one of my all time favorites.

Jon Hazzard Black is part Native American who loves his land. Blaze Braddock wants the land, and there is where the story starts to get interesting; Blaze has never met a more arrogant man in her life, and Jon has never met a more irriatating sexy woman in his.
Between them the chemistry heats up to epic porportions; and soon you are with them on an adventure that takes them f
Rose
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-download
There were parts of this book that were really good and then there were some that were so stupid and unbelievable that it made it hard to truly like the book as a whole. What white man sends his virgin daughter into a cabin with an Indian to negotiate a business deal after the Indian has shot at them!
Collene
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
As most of her books, once you get past the extremely sensual sex scenes, there is a very good story.
Angie
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Although I find the cover a bit ridiculous, Blaze was a very pleasant surprise! While there are some phrases throughout that make it obvious this romance is old, the story itself didn't feel too dated to me. It's certainly not a bodice a ripper, and the heroine isn't some simpering maiden. Blaze is actually quite feisty and is often the one initiating sex with our dashing hero, Hazard. In fact, it's her attempted seduction of him that really gets their love story rolling.

Blaze starts
Sylvia
Oct 02, 2016 rated it liked it
PurplyCookie
Dec 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: romantica
If you can get through the first hundred pages of typical historical romance writing and verbose dialogue, I think you'll enjoy this book. If you like your romance novels on the hot side, "Blaze" will not disappoint you. The book is also enriched with various settings, from wealthy Boston society, to decadent gold mining towns, to an earthy village of a Plains Native American tribe. I don't look for "reality" in romance novels, just a chance to be transported to another place and time.

The o
LJ
Aug 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
BLAZE - VG
Johnson, Susan - Standalone

The gold rush sparked a new American dream for those who staked their claims in the rich soil of undeveloped Indian territories. To Blaze Braddock, beautiful, pampered daughter of a millionaire, it was a chance to flee stifling codes of Boston society. But when Jon Hazard Black, a proud young Absarokee chief, challenged her father’s land claim, Blaze was swept up in a storm of passions she had never before even imagined.

Taken hos
Stephanie
May 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Those who know me know I like historical romances, although this one is a little later in time than my usual favorites. Still, it's in the U.S., which was appealing, and in an area of the West I adore, so that was interesting. The descriptions of the locations are insightful, and I learned something about a "certain character in New York City" whom I don't want to name so as not to spoil anything... but the knowledge of this person and her familiarity to the rest of the community was very intere ...more
Lynn
Jul 10, 2014 added it
I am sorry to report this is my least favorite Susan Johnson book. The characters are not developed well and there is no sex scenes to overcome that fact. I do not like Blaze at all and Hazard is predictable he is not interesting. Maybe the St. John-Duras series was all she had to offer?
Courtney
Very slow begining. If you can get past the first 50-100 pages it's a good read. There is way too much history and not much story line in the begining.
Ana
May 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
Not believable at all. It's 1 star for the factual notes found at the end of the book and within the story.
Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
I did not like this book, based pretty much on the character of Blaze. She's everything I despise in a person. She's overindulged, self-centered, manipulative, childish, lazy, mean, and even stupid. I liked Hazard for a long time, until he started giving into her every whim. That's when he lost favor with me. He did it to the extent of having "consequence" with his tribe. The other men made fun of him for doing the cooking and cleaning because she didn't how how to do these things and if he didn ...more
Annalice
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would have liked to meet John, especially see him, because is so apparently handsome. It's interesting how this book also has sex scenes between John and other women who aren't the heroine. I guess they're just there to cement his reputation with women.

It made me sad that Blaze's father had to die. I really liked the father and felt his death was shameful and unnecessary. It makes me think that anyone could just be killed to inherit that person's money. I don't like that thought. God, the mom
Sari
Very sweet, no cheating, sex not that hot, one completely idiotic conflict at 70% that she then forgot about, the ending could have been more epic. Love the hero's persevearance, heroine not thoroughly developed, childish but likeable. Fantasy that when you hurt, someone will care. Writer distanced from characters, points out their flaws and mocks them, makes less annoying. Really good minor conflicts and thought processes.
Judith Sherrod
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blaze

O read this book when it first appeared in paperback, fell in love with it and many other of Susan Johnson's works. She has a very clear and easy style that puts the reader in the story as if said reader was there in the flesh. Charming, well written and unforgettable.
MacsMom
May 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
No. Just no. I didn't get past the first few chapters. The hero and heroine were unlikeable.
Ciam7578
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It used misunderstandings to move the plot and I hate that
Jane
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beginning was slow but it picked up and I couldn't put it down.
Eri
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars for this book

• Night Wind's Woman (Santa Fe Trilogy, #1)
  • Beloved Savage
  • First Love, Wild Love
  • Ride the Fire (Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy, #3)
  • Cheyenne Song
  • Sun God
  • Fascinated
  • Gabriel's Bride
  • Promises Keep (Promises, #2)
  • Lord Ruin (The Sinclair Sisters, #1)
  • The Savage
  • Night Flame
  • Tempted
  • Too Tough to Tame (Tough Man, #1)
  • Sioux Splendor
  • The Darkest Heart
  • The Spanish Rose
  • The Sheik
And it all began rather serendipitously. Long ago, as they say, in another time, when fast food hadn't reached our area and the only shopping was what the feed mill offered, I was reading a book that annoyed me .

My husband was lying beside me in bed, watching TV. Turning to him, I sort of petulantly said, "How the hell did this book get published?"

"If you think you're so smart," he replied, with

Braddock-Black (5 books)
  • Silver Flame (Braddock-Black, #2)
  • Forbidden (Braddock-Black, #3)
  • Brazen (Braddock-Black, #4)
  • Force Of Nature (Braddock-Black, #5)
“She writhed helplessly against his steely grip, her frantic movement only furthering the progress of his softly caressing tongue. In moments, Hazard forced a shuddering moan from her and quivering she gasped in shallow rapturous sighs.” 1 likes