Start by marking “Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony” as Want to Read:
Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony

Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony

(Billy & Blaze)

The first book in the classic, beloved Billy and Blaze series, from renowned author C.W. Anderson.

Billy was a little boy who “loved horses more than anything else in the world.” Imagine how happy he was when he got his very own pony for his birthday! From that day on, Billy was seldom seen without his new friend, Blaze.

Riding through fields and woods, Billy and Blaze learn
Published April 1st 1992 by Aladdin (first published 1936)

To ask other readers questions about Billy And Blaze, please sign up.

Erin
Aug 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful story. I don't know how many times I read it as a child. I loved finding it.
Megan B
May 29, 2009 marked it as kinley-completed-solo-reads
Recommends it for: nikki, kim b.
Sweeeeeeet sweet books written in the 1930's about a boy and his beloved horse. Kinley read this as an "early reader", but it would also be nice as a bedtime book. It's longer than most picture books.
Scooping it Up
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Billy and Blaze books are perfect for horse crazy children. The reading level is 1st-3rd grade and both my 1st grader and ESL 12-year-old find these a fast read with enough vocabulary to make it a good learning tool. The illustrations are beautiful and the books get a little harder and longer as the series goes on. Theses are quite old, but perfect little gems for newly independent readers. So glad to run into them at the library.
Sandie
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: authors-c
I love C.W. Andereson's books and art.....I have read his books since I was a little girl and I have always been excited about reading them to my children.

None of my three kids are huge horse lovers, though my daughter comes the closest. I started reading these books to her at about 4 but now at 5 she is enjoying them a bit more.

We both liked this first story about Billy and his love of horses and how he came to get his own pony Blaze as well as a dog and how he won the pony show!

My daughters
Beth
Jan 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kids who like horses
Shelves: children
I had this book when I was a kid - I found it at the library today and signed it out so I could read it to ZZ - she liked it and thought it was interesting that "way back when my mom was a kid" the book pictures were black and white!
It is a trip reading books like this to her now that I'm an adult. As I read, I remembered a lot of the illustrations...I hope by reading books to ZZ now, she will be able to have similar memories as an adult.
Julie Rowse
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
This book is on the Nebraska 150 Books list, which is the only reason I picked it up. I'm glad I did though--I like to give books as gifts, and if I ever have the chance to recommend or give a gift to a young boy who loves animals, this moves to the top of the list. It's a sweet story about a boy, his pony, and his dog, with what resembles pencil-drawn illustrations. Enjoyable.
Terrah
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
It's a nice change to read a kids book from the 1930's compared to all the Dora and My Little Pony books that go through my house. The girls loved it too! So sweet, we'll be reading the whole series.
Karen
Apr 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, childrens
I have to read these books again. They go back, far back, to my early childhood. I don't remember much, but I remember falling in love with Blaze. Yes, I was one of those girls who really want a pony. I still do.
Joni Heredia
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
These are nice, sweet books and all my children enjoy them. It is interesting to see how independent children were in the past. Billy is responsible for his pony, he rides him in a show and he does this all without the help of his parents. My children were impressed.
Jorgina
Oct 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, children
Great book for young boys. The whole boy-pony-dog relationship in a time when land was open and adventure was awaiting in your backyard. Oh, yes and all before rules were so restrictive that a person cold still prove themselves without strict authoritative approval.
Dolly Garnecki
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My 6 year-old enjoyed reading this book from cover to cover. He was able to pronounce most of the words. The intricate drawings inspired imagination and encouraged a quest for details. What a great story and series to illustrate courage, bravery, and the love of a boy for his remarkable pony.
Sandy
I had a card to the Osterville Public Library and every summer for years I'd read dozens and dozens of books- many of them time and time again! These Blaze books were just some of the many... Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, The Black Stallion series, The Secret Garden and The Little Princess!
Maggie
Aug 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
I liked that Billy got what he really wanted and he got to ride his horse a lot. It was good that he jumped over fences. I want to read the rest of the Billy and Blaze books.
Gmc
Oct 17, 2013 added it
Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony by C.W. Anderson.
This is the first book in a series. A great story and boy and his horse ride off into the woods on adventures.
Rivkah
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Love this books series. It's a sweet story about a boy and the adventures he has with his pony Blaze. I was addicted to these books when I was little and I think they need to be republished.
ZZ
Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all kids.
Recommended to ZZ by: My mother
Shelves: library
I think this book is awesomely cool and my mommy had black and white books.
Katherine Carlson
Feb 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pleasure-reading
I read this to my younger brother when he was little, and the art by this author, C.W. Anderson, who illustrated his own books, really inspired me to draw horses.
Mitzy Tait-Zeller
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that I read and re-read in public school. A classic in its own right.
Don Gubler
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I loved these stories as a kid so I bought a whole set of them for my kids.
Katy Brandes
Aug 31, 2011 rated it liked it
This is one of the earliest reading memories from my childhood.
Lauren
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I remember checking this out at the library as a child. This brings back great memories!
Jen
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the first of the books CW Anderson wrote about Billy and Blaze. It's a keeper!
Betsy
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
An oldie but a goodie. Elf is flying through this series and enjoying it immensely.
Megan Russell
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
I used to be obsessed with these when I was little.
N
Do you have any of those kids who like books where nothing really happens? (Do those kids still exist?) This is the book for them! A little boy easily gets the pony he's always wanted, the pony is amazing, they find a dog stuck in a trap who is sad but very quickly saved by our hero, and then they are all best friends. Billy enters a horse competition and it's so funny that even the dog jumps in it. Billy and his horse win, of course. The end.

There is no tension. No doubt that he will save the d
P.S. Winn
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It would be worth grabbing this book just for the amazing black and white drawings, but add in the fun story children will love and this book is one you have to pick up. Kids get to read the story of Billy, a young boy who loves horses, especially his friend Blaze.
Teri
Book Challenge book for Second Grade language arts. Very sweet story that introduces the main two characters of this series. There are lovely black and white drawings throughout. I think my daughter will really enjoy this series.
Elaine Jemmett
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-as-a-child
I loved the Billy and Blaze books as a kid. There were several of them, and I read every one in the library. The stories were fairly wholesome, as I recall. What I remember most of all was the illustrations. They were excellent: really, really beautiful drawings. Top quality.
Megan
Mar 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Megan by: RR
CURRICULUM: RR/Classics
Scholastic Reading level K
Get all books in series. Eli loved them
Brooke
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read aloud for my six year old!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Album of Horses
  • Old Bones the Wonder Horse
  • Fritz and the Beautiful Horses
  • Summer Pony
  • Little Black, a Pony: Liishzhiin Yazhi [With CD]
  • Angus Lost
  • The Blind Colt
  • Piper at the Gate (Heavenly Horse, #2)
  • Blossom Comes Home
C.W. Anderson - aka Clarence William Anderson
From Wikipedia:

Clarence William Anderson (1891 - 1971) born in Wahoo, Nebraska. He was an author and illustrator of childrens books. Known professionally as C.W. Anderson, Anderson had an interest in horses and drawing. When he wasn't out riding horses, he was drawing them, taking great interest in their bone stru

Billy & Blaze (8 books)