Start by marking “Walk Out Walk On: A Learning Journey into Communities Daring to Live the Future Now” as Want to Read:

No One Is Coming to Help. Now What?
In this era of increasingly complex problems and shrinking resources, can we find meaningful and enduring solutions to the challenges we face today as individuals, communities, and nations?

In Walk Out Walk On, we invite you on a learning journey to seven communities around the world to meet people who have walked out of limiting beliefs a
Published April 11th 2011 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Walk Out Walk On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walk Out Walk On

Start your review of Walk Out Walk On: A Learning Journey into Communities Daring to Live the Future Now
Anita
Oct 08, 2012 added it
I didn't like this book at first - the writing felt aimless and laced with pot-pourri vagueness that challenges the black and white certainties that my mind prefers. But once I got past the writing to the real meaning and after really sinking into the chapter about the challenging work done in Joubert Park, South Africa, I found that there were some concepts that integrated into my work underway already: the non-profit world, the adaptive learning community and the political community.
1. Commun
Jay
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
The focus of this book is to consider solving community problems by using a community group to get together to solve those problems, not waiting for a government solution. One example early on is the use of a bicycle to power a blender. In the story, a group has figured out a way to do this well, but other groups in other communities are asked to do the same thing without the benefit of shared learnings from other groups. And in the case mentioned, one community comes up with a design that might ...more
Jan
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This a book about walking out of limiting beliefs and assumptions, and walking on to create healthy and resilient communities. The message is that more is possible, and that walking out walking on can propel us beyond the safety of our daily routines, the security of our habitual ways of thinking, and send us out into the world to find answers.[1]

The book is based on the basic insight that community is nothing like a machine, and that citizens rarely surrender their autonomy to experts. Exchangi
John II
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book is a well-written and insightful journey to Mexico, Brazil, South Africa, Zimbabwe, India, Greece and the United States. Although that sounds quite big, the focus is on particular locales in each of these countries. The book shows how communities in “. . . the face of hunger, poverty, ill health, environmental degradation, and economic injustice . . . [can] . . . respond, adapt, invent.” That’s what makes them healthy and resilient. Members of these communities take their fate into thei ...more
Shilpa Rao
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book left me feeling very hopeful. That despite having authoritarian or failing governments, positive change was possible at community levels. I feel empowered knowing people are capable of finding solutions to problems on their own. It's a great book for anyone working on the field of development or anthropology, but it's also a great book if you are looking to inspire change.
Mark
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
9.14.2012

One friend is increasingly bored and dissatisfied with her Christian Sunday church services.

Another left her job of teaching 175 high school students a year in the public school system to volunteer for three months teaching in the Palestinian West Bank. She’s now happily using her foreign language skills to work with the parents of youth in the school system.

A third is a medical student about to graduate who is worried that the grind of an upcoming residency may obstruct his vision of t
Gwen
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Compelling lens telling 7 stories of social innovation around the world. Outlier description for the inspiration that occurs? "No one is coming to help. Now What?" Good read on how communities form around big hairy questions and inspiring stories of people who create their own solutions. The poem in the beginning of the book is compelling as well. A quote by Pema Chodron, Buddhist teacher:
"The whole globe is shook up, so what are you going to do when things are falling apart?
You're either going
Leigh
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ignore the tone if it annoys you--focus on the transformative work being done by communities all over the world to respond to community needs in inclusive, sustainable ways. The least satisfying chapter was the one about the US--without concrete details about how the hosting process works (yes, I understand that it's an operating system, but I want to know how the system operates), it's hard to appreciate the potential in the practice. Even if you're not going to walk out completely, rethinking ...more
Terry
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book but had a really rough time with it. I LOVED the stories of the different projects and communities described. What got in the way was the author's condescending tone. It also became hard to be inscribed by the poor writing and language used. This just didn’t work for me.
Luz Yañez
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.
It's a new way to understand the world.
I hope more people in the world can to read this book.
Ron
Jul 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm a big fan on Wheatley's earlier works so was curious to see where her head is at now.

There was one chapter that hearkened back to her older message of order without control and self-management, but on the most part the book is a very different message.

It smacks a little of entitlement - that a diverse world group of people can even afford to take a ten day retreat in Greece to agree on the most environmental method to wipe your butt for instance, but I get where she was going and am in gener
Kathleen Currie Smith
I want to preface this review by stating that I listened to it which may be why I didn't love as much as I thought I might. I liked learning about the authentic learning communities throughout the world and how they work to find realistic and attainable solutions to everyday problems.
Tasha Widyaningtias
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very great book for development practitioners! I like the flow of the stories, and it was just amazing..A must-read book for people who wants to know how it looks like on working alongside a community.
Ken
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I’ve read in my 2019 Reading Challenge, thus far. Last month I was an artist for a World Café; a first for me. This book’s example of how A World Café format can be use for community problem solving resonated with my personal experience.
Lisa Gunders
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book. New way of thinking about development.
Virginiawiles
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it slow.

This is an excellent, challenging, exhausting, encouraging, and true collection on several "Learning Journeys," with potent reflections. Live into it.
Dean Kephart
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting read,especially if you want to explore how problem-solving occurs in other cultures.
Corey
Jun 11, 2012 rated it liked it
A pretty good read that is somewhat akin to the concepts in "Cultivating Communities of Practice" (http://www.amazon.com/Cultivating-Com...), putting them into narrative form. The authors write about their journeys to communities around the world - in places like Zimbabwe, India, and Mexico - and their experience with communities that are breaking the mold and finding their own creative, group-based solutions to problems. These people have "walked out" of the systems that aren't working and have ...more
Lisa
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
I had to read this book for a class and didn't particularly care for it. Some people might like it but it's very much not my style. It gives short descriptions of a few projects that are going on around the world to create more sustainable or more community driven lifestyles. Some of the projects sounded very worthwhile and practical but I couldn't get past the author's feelings about things. Reading about how magical the writer found their nightly meeting or how beautiful she felt their drummin ...more
Kate
I loved this book. If you've ever been on a high school or college "work camp" experience, this book is sort of like that. Turns your assumptions about how we design our society on their ears. I wanted it to go on. I wanted the authors to show me more communities that were creating beautiful change with what they have right in front of them and with their own friendships with one another. I just can't say enough wonderful things about this book. I just loved it.
Ann
Nov 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am really enjoying this book. It reminds of of our adventure with edcamp and makes me want to be in these places. Looking forward to reading more. Thinking about ways I can encourage my students to walk out and walk on in this world.

I cannot tell you how much I like it.... The language is beautiful for non-fiction. It is staggeringly breathtaking, no lie. I know I am gushing...
Anita
Dec 31, 2013 rated it liked it
the content was good, disliked the writer's style. She used a device I think is not profession for this type of book:

Imagine you're walking along and see a group of people, then you stop to talk and see what they are doing.

No, not good for getting across a point, it just got in the way of what she was trying to tell the reader.
Ana Hernandez
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Seven very inspiring stories of building community from the ground up from around the world. What do you do when you realize that no one is coming to help you? You look around and see what and whom you've got to work with. Excellent read. I'll re-read it.
Karen Cockerill

I loved this book! Inspired me to want to learn more about the Art of Hosting and has had me thinking for weeks after finishing the book. Read it you won't bedisappointed
Selma
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Went to book launch - inspirational. Can't wait to get into this.
Bruno Andreoni
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Lets go to a journey, enjoy the innovation process
Erin
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a book you think about long after you finish the last page, especially if you have first-hand experience with working in communities. Fairly good read, and definitely inspiring.
Maren Showkeir
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring and beautifully written. Great human stories.
Briana
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it
This book includes interesting descriptions of sustainable community projects, but without the details of how the projects were actually implemented, the descriptions become repetitive and formulaic.
Mickey
Jan 02, 2013 added it
Powerful. Opened my eyes at the right time and place.
From here I found many new voices, new places, new programs.

• White Rage: The Unspoken Truth of Our Racial Divide
  • Leadership Is an Art
  • The Divine Matrix: Bridging Time, Space, Miracles, and Belief
  • Unboss
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • How to Read Nonfiction Like a Professor: A Smart, Irreverent Guide to Biography, History, Journalism, Blogs, and Everything in Between
  • Openspace Beta: A Handbook for Organizational Transformation in Just 90 Days
  • The Motorcycle Diaries: Notes on a Latin American Journey
  • The Einstein Prophecy
  • How to Argue With a Racist: What Our Genes Do (and Don't) Say About Human Difference
  • In Custody
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
  • Octopussy & the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
  • You Learn by Living: Eleven Keys for a More Fulfilling Life
  • Goldfinger (James Bond, #7)
  • Doctor No (James Bond, #6)
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)

News & Interviews

“The river never drinks its own water. The tree never tastes its own fruit. The field never consumes its own harvest. They selflessly strive for the well-being of all those around them. —Mewari proverb, India” 8 likes
“To name is to make visible.” 7 likes