Start by marking “Strangely Like War: The Global Assault on Forests” as Want to Read:
Strangely Like War: The Global Assault on Forests

Strangely Like War: The Global Assault on Forests

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  262 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Derrick Jensen, prize-winning author of "A Language Older than Words" and "The Culture of Make Believe," and George Draffan, activist, researcher, and co-author with Jensen of "Railroads & Clearcuts," collaborate again to expose the escalating global war on trees. Ever since Gilgamesh cut down the ancient cedar forests of Mesopotamia, civilizations and empires have fou ...more
Published October 1st 2003 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Strangely Like War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strangely Like War

Adam
Derrick Jensen was a profoundly influential figure in my early radical development, but I'dn't read a word by him in several years. I'd instead been caught up in the more mainstream, less passionate, and much less ideological (or at least, theoretically) viewpoint(s) of academic environmental studies. I came across an excerpt from one of his newest books, Deep Green Resistance, and was surprised to see two things happen.

First of all, I was swept up in anger and sadness about the ecocide my civi
Ryan Mishap
Aug 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
With 95% of the United States’ “frontier” forests gone, and much of the rest of the world’s disappearing, this book is a last cry to get people aware and motivated to stop the slaughter of the forests, and the concomitant genocide of native peoples and other land-based societies. Tinged with despair, it describes the interlocking machine of consumption, corporations, governments, globalization, colonialism, and genocide that is steadily pillaging the planet. As usual, Jensen makes the important ...more
Troy
Dec 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: environment
Informative and well written, but a bit on the pessimistic side. The authors present their case for halting deforestation while making some great points, but leave only a page or two at the very end for proposed solutions. Even with these last few pages, the authors don't exactly have a positive outlook for the state of our world's forests. Although I can't blame them for thinking the way they do, I strongly believe that a key to being an environmentalist is possessing a sense of optimism even i ...more
Urban Crow
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
this addition to the Jensen/Draffan collection is a decent compendium of facts and arguments about the perils of multi-national, industrial forestry. of particular interest is the time the authors spend discussing the continuing threat to old-growth forests in bc which are some of the last remaining forests of their age in north america. if you are familiar with the struggle to save the forests there will be little new in this book, but it is a good review of the arguments against multi-national ...more
Jason
Sep 19, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: crazy people
I'm not a fan of deforestation, it negatively impacts biodiversity and generally makes the world more industrialized and ugly. However, I draw the line at comparing loggers to Nazis. Call me crazy, but I don't see the moral equivalence between cutting down trees and killing 6 million Jews. Nor do I see the expedience in attacking environmental organizations like the Sierra Club and the World Wildlife Foundation. Anyway, not much to see here except a big pile of crazy.
Elizabeth
Jul 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty interesting book about a pretty boring subject (or else a pretty boring book about a pretty interesting subject). Either way, it's true that the world's forests are in crisis and the current system is doing absolutely nothing to help them. But Jensen is pretty radical and I don't know if his solutions are even remotely realistic.
CC
Aug 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Worth reading. Very depressing. Very informative.
In sum: if you live in the first world (hahaha...), especially if you're white and holding some money, then you live on an island surrounded by seas of destruction, most of which keep your island afloat. No real news there, but Jensen lays out the hows and whys with excruciating, and rousing, effect.
tanikota
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
...so you just ate your chinese take-away and wondering why 'chow-mien' has to be eaten with a pair of chop-stick [made of once living tree...] Mandatory reading for answering that question but be prepared to shed some pearls of salinity...
Tomek
Nov 26, 2011 rated it liked it
A wonderful overview of just how unsustainable our current forestry practices are. However, it lacks the depth of most other Jensen books. However, this isn't nearly as dark as some of his other writing, so a good introduction to the author.
Cherie
B- Quick read. This should've been a magazine article - I read it very quickly at the beach. Funny, informative, interesting, but doesn't give you a huge deal abt Kenya - but then he was only there for 8 days.
Will
Nov 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Loved the first 8 chapters - the rest, not as much. This book seems to be before Derrick really embraced his full anti-civilization message - there is a lot of discussion of recycling and other incremental improvements.
Ryan
Dec 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Powerful. Not a book to be read if you are already depressed. It is likely to make you lose all hope and possibly be consumed by anger. This is the author's purpose, he actually told me in person as he signed my copy.
Diana Michele
May 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great book about the perverse attitude taken toward wilderness. If you let it move you, there is inspiration and a fierce love for freedom there.
Matt
Aug 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Pertinent read about forest destruction in the Pacific Northwest. Meticulous research, but felt more like an essay than a book at times.
Josh
Oct 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Forestry is fucked up, and like war.
Elizabeth Hills
Thorough history of deforestation.
Tom
May 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: misc
there's some interesting stuff here, but it'd be better to just skip it and stick to Jensen's central trilogy (Language Older Than Words, Culture Of Make Believe, and Endgame)
Tauni
Becky
Aug 07, 2014
  • Against the Grain: How Agriculture Has Hijacked Civilization
  • Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of Revolutionary Change
  • Technics and Human Development (The Myth of the Machine, Vol 1)
  • Hierarchy in the Forest: The Evolution of Egalitarian Behavior
  • Suburban Safari: A Year on the Lawn
  • An Unreasonable Woman: A True Story of Shrimpers, Politicos, Polluters, and the Fight for Seadrift, Texas
  • The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability
  • A Green History of the World: The Environment & the Collapse of Great Civilizations
  • My Name is Chellis and I'm in Recovery from Western Civilization
  • Twilight of the Mammoths: Ice Age Extinctions and the Rewilding of America
  • Golden Rule: The Investment Theory of Party Competition and the Logic of Money-Driven Political Systems
  • Untapped: The Scramble for Africa's Oil
  • If They Give You Lined Paper, Write Sideways.
  • The Party's Over: Oil, War and the Fate of Industrial Societies
  • Noah's Garden: Restoring the Ecology of Our Own Backyards
  • The Future of Nature: Writing on Human Ecology from Orion Magazine
  • Woman and Nature: The Roaring Inside Her
  • Becoming Animal: An Earthly Cosmology
Derrick Jensen is an American author and environmental activist living in Crescent City, California. He has published several books questioning and critiquing contemporary society and its values, including A Language Older Than Words, The Culture of Make Believe, and Endgame. He holds a B.S. in Mineral Engineering Physics from the Colorado School of Mines and an M.F.A. in Creative Writing from Eas ...more
More about Derrick Jensen...