Start by marking “Dialogue (Elements of Fiction Writing)” as Want to Read:
Dialogue (Elements of Fiction Writing)

Dialogue (Elements of Fiction Writing)

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  150 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
This book discusses and demonstrates the power of dialogue in fiction. So whether you write novels, short stories, or scripts, you'll benefit from all the different purposes and techniques of dialogue writing the author illustrates in these very pages.
Published May 15th 1989 by Writer's Digest Books

To ask other readers questions about Dialogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dialogue

Candace
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this book we learn how to write dialogue by reading dialogue. The author uses the Socratic dialogue with dialogue examples to demonstrate the difference between dialogue and real conversation. We learn formating, pace, dialect, narration, diction, theme, plot, atmosphere, tone, types of speech and genre dialogue. A good book for beginning writers.
Nannah
Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This was pretty decent.

I thought the book didn't really deliver what it promised on the cover (i.e. "How to get your characters talking to each other in a way that vividly reveals who they are, what they're doing, and what's coming next in your story"), even if it did have some useful information. Most of the formatting/grammatical issues that it covered I already knew about, which is why I didn't pick out a book on dialogue's structure and where to put quotation marks, etc.

I was very glad tha
Justin
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: writing
Dialogue reads fast and so does this book. Written in Socratic dialogue, Turco and his fictional buddy Fred Foyle discuss dialogue. The book's five chapters cover: Definitions, speech in narration, diction, types of speech, and genre dialogue. The book didn't offer much than I already know aside from the occasional tidbit like British formatting using single quotes. I've learned more about dialogue from other writing books dealing with other elements of fiction, and online resources. I wouldn't ...more
Melissa
Apr 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-nonfiction
Loved that the entire book teaches how write dialogue by dialogue. Very entertaining and clear.
Susinok
The book is written in dialogue, and bad dialogue at that. Not very helpful.
pianogal
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Not a bad read. Parts of this book were really helpful. Initially I thought having the whole book as a dialogue would be good, but it got annoying by the end. Especially b/c the author and his Foyle fought. A lot. Sigh. So annoying. I also agree with his editor that his examples were too long. We don't need 4 pages of someone else's story to illustrate one example about a dialogue.
DougInNC
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
The author creatively writes nearly the entire book in dialogue with a goal to explain writing dialogue for fiction. His goal is only loosely met.

Significant time is spent on aspects of story telling other than dialogue, such as subject, theme, narration, exhibition, scene setting, pacing, etc. Further, it seems that "explanation" is not the preponderance of this work when the focus is turned to dialogue. Some time is spent in idle chat between the characters conversing, which earns credit for
Devon
Dec 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: how-to-write
Turco has plenty of solid advice on dialogue here, more than you can pick up from a generalized "how to write fiction" book. The written format is entirely in Socratic dialogue, which is a bit unusual...some thoughts on that:

PROS: The format makes it more entertaining and faster reading. There are plenty of examples of applying his lessons to dialogue, since the book is literally 100% dialogue.

CONS: About half the book is conversational filler, so in that sense it's not faster reading at all. Th
Mark  Thomas
Apr 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing-books
A book on how to write dialogue, written in dialogue format. It was a novel idea that worked fairly well. My only reservation is that many of the examples were not clearly defined for me, and I found myself not quite getting the author's point. It is a very short book, and perhaps not the best book on dialogue out there.
Winston Brown
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great informative book.
Robert
Jun 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Good reference
Jakk Makk
Aug 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Creative how it's written as a giant dialogue, but I was hoping for a typical reference book.
Joel Gomes
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A very short book, perfect to learn the basics of writing good fiction dialogue.
Ron
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing_books
An older but very engaging guide to the basics of dialogue for beginning writers. Covers all the basics and for most that's enough. I enjoyed the Socratic dialogue approach to the text.
Hilary
May 30, 2008 rated it did not like it
Terrible! The author attempts to explain how dialogue works... in the form od a book-length dialogue. Barf. Do not read this book. If I could give this book negative stars I would.
David Fortier
A decent book on writing fiction. Apparently there are better ones out there. Still, helpful to a beginner.
Joed Jackson
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought I was 'perdy good' at dialogue until I read this. He covers it all . . . and I do mean all. So much to learn and absorb. Worth reading and re-reading if writing is your thing.
Valery
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Kind of weird to explain dialogue this way, but also kind of ingenious.
Marne
Dec 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own
I didn't care for it. The whole thing was written as a Socratic dialogue between the author and his foil (named Fred Foyle). His editor plays a small role when she "visits" and tells him the whole idea is dumb and he should scrap it.

He should have listened.

It was painful and annoying to read. The author appeared more interested in being clever (and smarter than the reader) than actually trying to teach the reader how to be a better writer.

Pass this one by.
Kevin Orland
May 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: stopped-reading
Couldn't make it through more than 10 pages. The whole thing is written as a dialogue between the author and some fictional guy with questions about how to write dialogue. The gimmick just didn't work, and the failed attempts at humor and cleverness obscured whatever wisdom the author may have had to impart. I guess I'll have to keep looking for a good book on how to write dialogue.
N.A.K. Baldron
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
for the most part it labels different styles of dialog and then quotes large passages. luckily this book was free or I'd want my money back.
Nizar
Dec 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
A really bad book. very messy and not enough examples. I felt lost and couldn't wait to put it down.
Sariah
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not a fan of two characters talking about dialogue for the whole book. Also, just skip the first chapter or two. It's mostly uncessary definitions.
P.G. Sundling
Jul 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: writing
I would rate this as the least helpful writing book in my entire collection (about 40 books).
Kate
Oct 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
I found the tone of the book so obnoxious that I didn't finish. Not at all helpful.
Rebekah
Sep 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: writing-books
A bit dated and not a lot of information. There are better books and workshops out there. Find them.
Todd
Stacy Schmidt
Feb 06, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Plot
  • Setting: How to Create and Sustain a Sharp Sense of Time and Place in Your Fiction
  • Conflict, Action and Suspense (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Description
  • Deadly Doses: A Writer's Guide to Poisons
  • Characters and Viewpoint (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Scene of the Crime: A Writer 's Guide to Crime Scene Investigation
  • 20 Master Plots: And How to Build Them
  • Creating Character Emotions
  • Creating Characters: How to Build Story People
  • Cause of Death: A Writer's Guide to Death, Murder, and Forensic Medicine

Elements of Fiction Writing (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Beginnings, Middles & Ends (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Characters and Viewpoint (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Conflict, Action and Suspense (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Description
  • Manuscript Submission
  • Plot
  • Scene & Structure (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Conflict and Suspense (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Voice and Style

• The Second World War
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Invitation
    $12.24 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks
  • Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith
  • Eating on the Wild Side: The Missing Link to Optimum Health
  • Love, Ellen: A Mother/Daughter Journey
    $10.24 $1.99
  • Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, and Sexual Renegade
  • Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Saving Alex: When I Was Fifteen I Told My Mormon Parents I Was Gay, and That's When My Nightmare Began
    $9.49 $1.99