Start by marking “Die Erben des Medicus” as Want to Read:
Die Erben des Medicus

Die Erben des Medicus

(Cole Family Trilogy #3)

Als Dr. Roberta J. Cole beschließt, ihre kriselnde Ehe und die Karriere in der Bostoner Großklinik hinter sich zu lassen, um Landärztin zu werden, erfährt ihr Leben eine ungeahnte Wende. Inmitten der grünen Hügel von Massachusetts trifft sie auf den Aussteiger David Markus aus New York. Schon bald kommen die beiden Stadtflüchtlinge sich näher. Aber nicht nur Markus kämpft ...more
Published August 8th 2005 by Goldmann (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Die Erben des Medicus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die Erben des Medicus

Ahmad Sharabiani
Matters of Choice (Cole Family Trilogy #3), Noah Gordon
A spirited and gifted physician forgoes a stellar career at a prestigious hospital for a small town private practice, and finds even greater challenges than those of the big city. Now she faces her hardest test as a doctor and a woman: whether to keep the medical secret of a girl who has desperately turned to her for help, or to betray that trust to keep the love of the man who has filled her life with unexpected joy....
Cole family trilogy:
Nov 14, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I so very much enjoyed the first two books in the series. I agree wholeheartedly with the other critical reviews of this book. I would not recommend it. I do plan to read other well-reviewed Noah Gordon books like The Last Jew. I don't know what happened with this book, but it was, indeed, as though it was written by someone other than the same author of The Physician and Shaman.

Skip it and read one of his good books instead.
Miquel Reina
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Matters of Choice is the third book of Noah Gordon's successful trilogy. This part takes a jump of several centuries, focusing on the life of one of the descendants of the protagonist of the first novel. Like the first part, the medicine will be the thread of the plot, but this time, the main character is a female that will have to confront gender bias in a difficult time to be a woman doctor. For me, this book is even better than the first, especially for the realistic atmosphere of the time an ...more
Chi-Chi
May 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was such a disappointment. I really enjoyed the first two books in the The Cole Family Series and was eager to read this one. But, boy. I felt that Gordon't handling of the protagonist R.J. was so incredibly clumsy. It's as if the task of voicing a female character overwhelmed him. There were little things that just felt so off, little comments that didn't need to be included but sounded like a man's stereotypical idea of what a woman would think and want. I remember R.J. having a cup ...more
Zoe
Not nearly as good as the first two in the series, the book suffered from a setting contemporary to its writing and all the problems of a man writing a female main character. I understand that a woman as a doctor shows progression of the profession through time, but the intimate thoughts and personal story fell into cliché far too often. It really disappoints me because I think "Physician" is probably in my top 20 books I've ever read, and "Shaman" manages the unusual viewpoint of a deaf narrato ...more
Kathy
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
This was totally different than Noah Gordon's first two in the series. That, I'm afraid, made it hard to get into, as I loved the history in the two earlier books. I also felt that this book focused too much on politics of the day, abortion clinics, health care problems in modern times. I suppose it was just too real to life for me to really enjoy it. Thus, the 3 stars. And I almost didn't finish it, so I guess I liked it enough to find out what happened.
Cindy
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Noah Gordon wraps a sense of modern reality in the story of the Coles. For me, personally, this wasn't the brightest of the trilogy, but that is most likely due to the fact that it is set in 'today's world. My knowledge is deeper about the issues, so R.J's experiences were not unexpected as it relates to the practice of medicine. I still thoroughly enjoyed the book.
Cheryl
Aug 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a strong, dramatic story about a woman doctor making tough moral decisions. It has good medical descriptions, and hits home with small-town life and living green! Good ethical questions and soul-searching!
Shamsh
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much. It touches some subjects which I consider very important and it is as well-written as the 2 first books of the saga.
Sheri
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book very much. It is the story of RJ Cole, doctor. This is the last book of a trilogy about the Drs. Cole. The first two were about lands far away and long ago. The other docs were men and RJ is a woman. She has inherited "the Gift" that some of her ancestors had, in that she can feel the imminent death of a person simply by holding their hands and sensing the outcome of their health.
There is alot going on in this book. Three women have been friends for many years and we follow t
Bookwurms
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: most-favorites
I've never given a 5 star to a book and I've read many books! I absolutely loved this story. To go from the other two wonderful books in the genre of historical fiction to writing in the "NOW" era so proficiently is a wonder to me. Especially writing about a woman from a male author's point of view I was very impressed! I was so fascinated by the character I wanted to be there with her, fishing in the river and building that bridge!! I've been somewhat of a tomboy all my life and I could so iden ...more
Diane
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beth
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Worth reading if you have started the series. But, it does not live up to my expectations after the first two books. For those reviewers who found the book liberally biased and the main character to be far too liberal, I wonder at their finding it so or not expecting it to be so. After all, the first two books featured main characters who were quite liberal when viewed from the point of time the books were set.
REGINA V. KOWAL
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story telling at it's best.

Noah Gordon is a marvellous storyteller. Although I found book 3 of the trilogy tiresome at times and contained unnecessary fluff. Aside from that the story of the Cole family kept me wanting more. The story covered a hundred years of medicine. It's a joyride for anyone who has an interest in medicine.
Sara
Jun 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While I appreciate the author's efforts in bringing his saga about generations of Cole family physicians into the 20th century, this book sure seemed like a novel in search of a plot. The ending just sort of ran out of steam as though Gordon got really, really tired of RJ & everyone else. I know I did.
Magui
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book, and it was a very fast read. He first two in the trilogy appealled to me a bit more because they transported me to a different time, and therefore, to a world full of surprising facts and interesting twists and turns. This book, being set in modern times, was less surprising and more predictable. I still enjoyed it very much.
Lenny Husen
What a disappointment! A terrible ending to a trilogy (the first two books were wonderful). I know he was trying to make a statement about abortion and Pro-Choice (and I am Pro-Choice) but this book makes a strong statement against abortion. I don't think that was his intention, but in any case, I disliked this book. Too bad, because the HeartRocks were cute.
Jacque Cullers
I enjoyed this book, but it is not quite what u was expecting, since the first two books in the series were historical fiction and this was contemporary. The topic was a difficult one to tackle. I applaud Noah Gordon for doing so, but can see how he might alienate some of his readership with the views expressed.
Dawn
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first two books in this trilogy, but still a decent read. Perhaps the fact that it takes place in the present day might account for my not enjoying it as much, since reading about times past adds to my enjoyment. At any rate, I will read more Noah Gordon for sure.
Arlene Richards
The Cole, this time is female and the time period covered is recent. After the rich and absorbing historical content of the first two books in the trilogy, I was disappointed in this one. It is a good book, well written but lacks the depth and the passion that I had come to expect.
Karen
Nov 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the rich, historic settings of the first two books in the Coles Trilogy (The Physician and Shaman), Matters of Choice felt like a bit of a letdown. It's not a bad novel, nor poorly written. It just doesn't feel like the same quality of literary fiction after reading the other two books.
Melissa
Mar 10, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not in the same class as the others of this trilogy. More of a chick lit book. This book would probably not be enjoyed by anyone who has objections to abortion.
Given that I just finished Shaman (the third in this trilogy), I thought I’d go ahead and polish off the series while the story was fresh in my mind. Each of the three books in The Cole Trilogy (The Physician, Shaman, and Matters of Choice) can be read as stand alone novels, but reading them in order provides additional context and back story which adds to the flavor and general appeal of the story as a whole.

Of the three, I think this book (Matters of Choice) is probably my least favorite. I s
Carmen
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, fiction
To end the trilogy, Gordon offers us a current story, whose protagonist is a woman who faces the problems of today's society, Dr Roberta J. Cole, who after suffering a series of traumatic personal experiences makes the decision to completely change her lifestyle and become a rural doctor.
An entertaining story with a bittersweet ending (such a coward, David).
==============================
Para poner fin a la trilogía, Gordon, nos ofrece una historia actual, cuya protagonista es una mujer que se e
Tanya Allen
After the first two in the series, this was a huge disappointment. This book is set in modern day, and lost all of the power of the previous two, which were historical fiction. Not to mention that this is the only book in the series with a female protagonist - and instead of gracing her with the import of the lead characters, this book almost read more like a romance novel! All martial spats and traumatic new loves. If I didn't know otherwise, I would never have believed It was the same author. ...more
Charles
This 3rd book in the Cole trilogy, continues with the contemporary descendant of the family, RJ Cole(the R stands for Roberta) who is the 1st female Cole doctor endowed with the "gift" of detecting prognosis by the holding of hands. She gives up a on bad marriage to a surgeon, a house in an expensive area, and a city practice, to set up a general practice in a rural setting in her country home in the Berkshires in Western Massachussets. The novel deals with many quandaries of modern medical prac ...more
H. P. Reed
The least enjoyable of the Cole family trilogy, Matters of Choice doesn't have the power to absorb and educate the reader as the other two books so deftly did. Yet, there are many good things about the book, not the least of which is Noah Gordon's well reasoned apologia, through his protagonist, for first trimester abortion. Never an easy subject, abortion is given two sides: the first an old fashioned restatement of the woman's right to control her own body, the second a heart-rending scene whe ...more
John
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I have come to the crossroads in my life. I always knew what the right path was. Without exception, I knew. But I never took it. You know why? It was too damn hard” (Col. Slide’s speech in ‘Scent of a Woman’). Matters of choice, in general. But there are also matters of a rather specific choice, and there are armies out there, “Pro-life” armies, to take it away from us (yes, from all of us, my ladies, because often it is a matter of our joint choice, not only our partners’). Now, in the last bo ...more
Gina Basham
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved all three books. The Physician my favorite.

The Physician - book one. Amazing story line with characters to love and hate. The main character was so realistic and likable. The descriptions of the times and places were very detailed and it was easy to put yourself there. I loved the progression of the story. Very well written. I would highly recommend.

Shaman - book two. Again, excellent story line. I did enjoy book one more than the second. Very well written. Exciting characters. Interesting
Helen
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked this least of the 3 novels telling the history of the cole family physicians. here the protagonist, a female physician, struggles with the ethical issues surrounding abortion as well as the personal ones. it's much less absorbing for me than the prior 2 books - this operates on a more reduced scale - much less dealing with the broad sweep of history. perhaps if i weren't knowledgeable about the social context and costs surrounding abortion i would have found it more absorbing. praise to ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Helping Sarah?!?! 3 7 Nov 03, 2014 01:34PM

• Smoke & Blue in the Face
  • Laura a la ciutat dels sants
  • Das Vermächtnis der Wanderhure (Die Wanderhure, #3)
  • Die Hüter der Rose (Waringham, #2)
  • Peregrinatio
  • Pandora in the Congo
  • Das Druidentor
  • The Oil Prince
  • No se lo digas a nadie
  • Judgment Day
  • The Tower of Babel
  • The Dancer and the Thief
  • Bella y oscura
  • Star of Babylon
  • Judgment (Alien Invasion #5)
  • The Goddess of Dance (The Spirits of the Ancient Sands #2)
  • Die Puppenspieler
Noah Gordon is an American novelist. Some of the topics covered within his novels include medical history and medical ethics. More recently he has begun to focus more on themes relating to the Inquisition, and Jewish cultural history. His novel Shaman won the first James Fenimore Cooper Prize for Best Historical Fiction in 1993.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads databas

Cole Family Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Physician (Cole Family Trilogy, #1)
  • Shaman (Cole Family Trilogy, #2)
“individuals who were more or less happy with themselves, secure in their own souls, usually opened themselves to new friendships. It was those whose ancestry and native status were their only hopes for distinction who tended to be critical and cold toward “new people.” 0 likes
“There are thirty-seven million people in the United States without any form of medical insurance. Every other leading industrial nation in the world—Germany, Italy, France, Japan, England, Canada, and all the others—supplies health care to all its citizens, at a fraction of what the world’s richest country spends for inadequate health care. It’s our national shame.” 0 likes