Start by marking “Novels, 1926-1929” as Want to Read:
Novels, 1926-1929

Novels, 1926-1929

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  148 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The Library of America edition of the novels of William Faulkner culminates with this volume presenting his first four, each newly edited, and, in many cases, restored with passages that were altered or (in the case of Mosquitoes) expurgated by the original publishers. This is Faulkner as he was meant to be read.

In these four novels we can track Faulkner's extraordinary ev

Published April 6th 2006 by Library of America

To ask other readers questions about Novels, 1926-1929, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Novels, 1926-1929

- Flags in the Dust
- The Sound and the Fury
Andrew
Aug 31, 2008 added it
This book collects Faulkner's first four novels, and is the first book in a beautiful series of five from the Library of America that together comprise his collected novels. The first two books here (Soldier's Pay and Mosquitos) are pretty negligible, even for the truly devoted. Flags in the Dust is the first novel Faulkner wrote set in the mythical Mississippi area that would become the setting for pretty much all his work after it, and it's interesting if for no other reason that it sets the s ...more
Brendan
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Four great novels. I thoroughly enjoyed reading these in chronological order; you can visibly see Faulker's skills improving as he settles in to his own original voice.
Kent
Nov 27, 2010 added it
Just read "Soldier's Pay" and most of "Mosquitos" before heading for "As I Lay Dying."

It doesn't work to read Faulkner the way you would read, say, Tolkien or Sir Walter Scott. The latter gentlemen tell a fairly monotextured story--in the course of which, to be sure, they handle serious themes and evoke sensations and images that go far deeper than the "plain" text--which is best appreciated at face value. Even a more complex work like, say, a Shakespeare play, must still be appreciated on that
James
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sartoris is the first novel Faulkner located in Yoknapatawpha County where he would go on to set fourteen more novels. In it he introduces the Sartoris family but the Snopes are also present in this early novel. It seems that he began to find his own voice in this novel, improving over his two earlier offerings (Soldiers' Pay and Mosquitoes).

He tells the story of a Southern family of the 'romantic' type, exhibiting chivalry and courage in a haughty and sometimes vain style. Bayard the younger,
Eric
Mar 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Pre-Yokna Faulkner, about what we pay for war. A great deal, indeed. He's getting his stylistic legs here in terms of shifting narrative perspective and juggling characters, of course. But the human/philosopho observations are already sharp and prescient. How 'bout this for a look forward to our current evangelistas: "We purchase our salvation as we do our real estate. Our God need not be compassionate, he need not be very intelligent, But he must have dignity." Ah, dignity!
Christopher Sutch
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
See reviews for the individual works. I was most interested, particularly in my second reading of _The Sound and the Fury,_ to note that Faulkner used social inequities (between women and men, African Americans and European Americans, and between economic classes) as sources of much of the conflict and tension in his novels. The class-lines seem particularly interesting and fruitful for him in these early works.
Jim Leckband
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
In three short years Faulkner somehow made the leap from the comparably slight and almost forgettable first three novels to the masterpiece of "The Sound and the Fury". I can't think of another author in the Library of America collections I've read that blew such a butterfly out of such a dull chrysalis.
Bill
Feb 21, 2010 added it
Jan, 2010: Soldiers' Pay. Earliest Faulkner novel. Beginning of my 3-year project to read all his novels and short story collections, in order.
April, 2010: Starting Mosquitoes.
Brenden
William Faulkner: Novels 1926-1929: Soldiers' Pay / Mosquitoes / Flags in the Dust / The Sound and the Fury (Library of America) by William Faulkner (2006)
  • Novels and Memoirs, 1941-1951: The Real Life of Sebastian Knight / Bend Sinister / Speak, Memory
  • Novels 1942-52: The Moon is Down/Cannery Row/The Pearl/East of Eden
  • Complete Stories, 1892-1898
  • Pierre, Israel Potter, The Piazza Tales, The Confidence-Man, Tales, Billy Budd
  • Historical Romances
  • Novels, 1944-1953
  • Let Us Now Praise Famous Men, A Death in the Family, and Shorter Fiction
  • The House of Mirth / The Reef / The Custom of the Country / The Age of Innocence
  • Novels and Stories, 1920-1922
  • Early Novels and Stories
  • Goodbye, Columbus and Five Short Stories / Letting Go
  • Collected Stories and Other Writings
  • Collected Novels: Fanshawe / The Scarlet Letter / The House of the Seven Gables / The Blithedale Romance / The Marble Fawn
  • Complete Novels: The Robber Bridegroom, Delta Wedding, The Ponder Heart, Losing Battles, The Optimist's Daughter
  • Complete Poems and Selected Letters
  • Collected Plays 1944-1961
William Cuthbert Faulkner was a Nobel Prize-winning American novelist and short story writer. One of the most influential writers of the twentieth century, his reputation is based mostly on his novels, novellas, and short stories. He was also a published poet and an occasional screenwriter.

The majority of his works are based in his native state of Mississippi. Though his work was published as earl
More about William Faulkner...